Melo takes shots at Dantoni

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
At all-star weekend Melo was quoted as saying:

"The way that they prepared for our team, for our game, that's something that I would like to take and bring that back to my team," Anthony said after playing in Sunday night's All-Star Game. "Just the preparation that they put into the situation that it worked out."

Read More: http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/melo-wants-knicks-to-prepare-like-heat-1.3562253

Now I'm not saying he directly is taking a shot at the coach but many sport writers believe so. Some are saying how can a head coach in the league admit that he will be in charge of the offense and this new guy will take care of the defense.

quiggle

Starter
Melo never support Dantoni especially after they got swept last postseason, he just gave some fake endorsement not to have the media start a forest fire. Melo is one of those uncoachable athletes god forbid he ever becomes a head coach one day.

KingCharles34

All Star
Oh ok hes talking about the Heat game...I thought at first he was maybe talking about the Western All Stars :lol:

I dont really look at this as taking a shot at Antoni, I mean people can interpret it however they wanna but I believe that Carmelo is speaking the truth. From what I've seen, there have been many teams that the Knicks didnt appear to prepared for. Its one of Antoni's weaknesses in his philosophy...

Basically, MDA likes to the players do what they feel they do best. This has its pluses and minuses. But if your the coach, u cant just let the players completely govern themselves...it has to be more like a democracy, where Dantoni is the president. Some coaches like to control everything like a Larry Brown type and I dont think thats the best philosophy either. Mike A's gotta come up with some kind of strategy for slowing down other players, he needs to be the chemistry guy that brings all the players together in the locker room. You cant just entirely rely on the leaders of the team; Lin n Melo.

BachaCho

Benchwarmer
Oh ok hes talking about the Heat game...I thought at first he was maybe talking about the Western All Stars :lol:

I dont really look at this as taking a shot at Antoni, I mean people can interpret it however they wanna but I believe that Carmelo is speaking the truth. From what I've seen, there have been many teams that the Knicks didnt appear to prepared for. Its one of Antoni's weaknesses in his philosophy...

Basically, MDA likes to the players do what they feel they do best. This has its pluses and minuses. But if your the coach, u cant just let the players completely govern themselves...it has to be more like a democracy, where Dantoni is the president. Some coaches like to control everything like a Larry Brown type and I dont think thats the best philosophy either. Mike A's gotta come up with some kind of strategy for slowing down other players, he needs to be the chemistry guy that brings all the players together in the locker room. You cant just entirely rely on the leaders of the team; Lin n Melo.

Exactly... D antoni needs to be more vocal, inspirational and on their asses

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
Melo never support Dantoni especially after they got swept last postseason, he just gave some fake endorsement not to have the media start a forest fire. Melo is one of those uncoachable athletes god forbid he ever becomes a head coach one day.

I have to disagree about him being uncoachable. Don't listen to what George Karl has said about him. He's just bitter that Melo left and caused that situation.

Melo has won a national title with Coach Boeheim and a gold medal with Coach Krzyewski who had Dantoni as an assistant. Both those coaches would not stand for a player who was uncoachable.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Well I don't think he was taking a direct shot at Antoni but that comment basically tells all you need to know about how the coaching staff prepares... or doesn't prepare.

I've heard STAT in post game interviews say that guys need to follow the gameplan set before games. He said this on two occassions and it confuses me because if that was the case then why couldn't it be corrected during a timeout or at least during halftime?

Honestly, I think we have one of the weakest coaching staffs. Dan Dantoni, Phil Weber and Herb Williams are crap. Dan is probably the worst since he's just hitching a ride via his bro. This team is too talented to not be better on a consistent basis.

KingCharles34

All Star
I have to disagree about him being uncoachable. Don't listen to what George Karl has said about him. He's just bitter that Melo left and caused that situation.

Melo has won a national title with Coach Boeheim and a gold medal with Coach Krzyewski who had Dantoni as an assistant. Both those coaches would not stand for a player who was uncoachable.

Reminds me of when Melo said "When the grass is cut the snakes will show"

Its safe to say Carmelo has accomplished more in his career then George Karl.

Melo's always got the slick subliminals...I remember shortly after Amare signed his deal with the Knicks Carmelo said "Only thing worse than a coward, is a coward with power." I guess he knew Stats game would completely fall off, I guess he came to NY for other reasons besides playing with Amarne

quiggle

Starter

yeah but the olympics cant really gauge due to the shortness of the event and other stars like Kobe and Wade overshadow whatever hed bring to the team. also if George Karl was the size of Jerry Sloan and Melo might have did a D-Wil on him.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Not exactly a shot at Dantoni, more of a Wake Up call to the coaching staff as a whole. It's kind of unfair to target Dantoni personally, Dantoni is the head coach but he's not the only person in the coaching staff. Mike woodson can take the blame just as much as anyone else.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
I love how it immediately becomes about D'Antoni. Nobody thinks maybe he's taking a shot at the Heat. The Knicks' only focus from now til the postseason should be how to play together. The Heat were preparing specifically to play us. It was clear how badly they wanted to win that one game. Lin can't really focus on any single team because every one is showing him a different look at this point. Next time we see them I'm sure the guys will be much more comfortable with each other and can turn their focus toward stopping Wade.

quiggle

Starter
this if kind of off topic but with Dantoni known for pringles, and Lin saving his job how come Pringles hasnt jumped on the bandwagon yet like Ben and Jerries and made a flavor called Lingles?

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
The East was being coach by Thibbs who may be one of the toughest most disciplined coaches around right now, while MDA is soft and his style is completely undisciplined so I'm surprised Melo picked up on that difference and we like to see a little bit of that in NY.

fender0577

Rotation player
The East was being coach by Thibbs who may be one of the toughest most disciplined coaches around right now, while MDA is soft and his style is completely undisciplined so I'm surprised Melo picked up on that difference and we like to see a little bit of that in NY.
:agreed:Well said, as much as, i don't like antoni, if you(as a player) can't get up to play the HEAT, i can see why we lose to teams like the CAVS, NETS, HORNETS, etc.Those teams, ok, the coach might have to remind you to play hard every now and then, but this is the HEAT buddy,C'mon man.:peace:

nyk_nyk

All Star
:agreed:Well said, as much as, i don't like antoni, if you(as a player) can't get up to play the HEAT, i can see why we lose to teams like the CAVS, NETS, HORNETS, etc.Those teams, ok, the coach might have to remind you to play hard every now and then, but this is the HEAT buddy,C'mon man.:peace:
It wasn't about the team not getting up to play the HEAT. They were playing hard but Lin wasn't prepared for the firestorm he recieved on defense. That threw everything off and Antoni clearly didn't have enough trust in Davis.

Red

TYPE-A
Well I don't think he was taking a direct shot at Antoni but that comment basically tells all you need to know about how the coaching staff prepares... or doesn't prepare.

I've heard STAT in post game interviews say that guys need to follow the gameplan set before games. He said this on two occassions and it confuses me because if that was the case then why couldn't it be corrected during a timeout or at least during halftime?

Honestly, I think we have one of the weakest coaching staffs. Dan Dantoni, Phil Weber and Herb Williams are crap. Dan is probably the worst since he's just hitching a ride via his bro. This team is too talented to not be better on a consistent basis.

If I'm not mistaken I think his brother has a pretty impressive resume. He might be a better fit than Mike.

But the question I have is this:

How can anyone including STAT expect to game plan specific when they don't practice?

That to me is what Melo is harping on. The fact that we as a team haven't put in the work to...

-develop chemistry
-establish leadership
-implement team specific game plans and get things down pat

Mike's laissez faire approach although said to give players down-time and a break actually negates the advantage we potentially could have. The wing it approach will only take you so far no matter who plays.

Further, this is evidenced during the times of despair; buckets needed, close-out needed, counter attacking a teams approach to us (See Lin vs MIA).

No practice means nothing to fall back on in those tough tmes. We all see it. No contingency, no answer. And I hate to say but I recall better coaches who matched other coaches move for move with a bag full of tricks, not us though.

Inconsistency is turning me off. Too many ups and downs with this dude. After this week of practice, I expect consistent positive results, he's not out of the woods yet.

fender0577

Rotation player
It wasn't about the team not getting up to play the HEAT. They were playing hard but Lin wasn't prepared for the firestorm he recieved on defense. That threw everything off and Antoni clearly didn't have enough trust in Davis.
I'm going to have to, respectfully disagree with you, the way the HEAT players came out, was like they had something to prove, LIN looked scared, STAT looked dead, and melo's energy level didn't match that, of any of the HEATS,"big 3".Now if Melo, would have said we didn't make any in game adjustments, i would have agreed, but to say we weren't prepaird, IMO, is a shot at the coach.I watched the game, and even if antoni, had made in game adjustments, the players, for whatever reason, look like they(the players) weren't ready to play.:peace:

jzero29

Rotation player
Really?

The media is vreating tons of drama against melo.

Last week, they asked him if he "WANTS" the last shot, and He said YES, I want to take the last shot. Unlike Lebron. He didn't say he would take every last shot, he just said he wants to, like any NBA shooter/scorer should. Heck Every player in the NBA are the top stars from their college programs, and every single guy should WANT to take the last shot, doesn't mean they won't pass the ball or are selfish.

Then when he say, the Miami Heat came prepared, they came ready to play. that is what NY needs. It's just Miami is playing like a champion. they are playing like a team. Every play is 100% no lazy plays. Thats how he wants the Knicks to play. Thats how every team should play. We are lucky he see's it. Hopefully the Knicks realize it and get on board with melo.

Kiyaman

Legend
our 17-18 performance showed we dont pratice.
The new addition of Lin, JR, and Davis having no practice made the team look a
helluva lot better than what we been looking like.
Headdcoach Byron Scott Cavs have 5 consecutive wins over Dantoni's offense....
should we practice for the Cavs?

Dantoni's type of coaching has seperated "Stat & Melo" more than bring the two
super-stars together to co-exist (look at all the trade-Stat threads).

Im sure the All-Star players had plenty jokes about the N.Y. Stat & Melo show vs the
Lin-Sanity show. Melo had no other choice but to praise the next All-Star the way Melo
been playing....scoring is one thing but defense decides the game. Remember....
Danton's offense with Stat/Melo/JR/and Davis could not score 90+ points -vs- Heat.
88 -102

The Knicks have to much talent to be a 17-18 record team....and 7 of those wins
go to Lin-Sanity our 2 week mvp. The Heat was able to lock-down Lin because
Lin got no help from his teammate SG & fowards....The Heats Headcoach Spoe
runs a 10+ man rotation having two superstars that gets the best talent out of
their 8 teammates.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
The cHeat are lightyears ahead of the Knicks in regard to who knows who is doing what.

Too early for anyone to aim blame.

It's not like Melo is unaccountable for some things himself, and D'Antoni no doubt could fire some shots of his own.

Needless to say, Melo has clearly attempted to change his game for Mike, and Mike needs to reciprocate some.

Kiyaman

Legend
Crazy⑧s;212958 said:
The cHeat are lightyears ahead of the Knicks in regard to who knows who is doing what.

Too early for anyone to aim blame.

It's not like Melo is unaccountable for some things himself, and D'Antoni no doubt could fire some shots of his own.

Needless to say, Melo has clearly attempted to change his game for Mike, and Mike needs to reciprocate some.

The NBA has a long list of phoney headcoaches in its history, Dantoni is one of them.
In the 1980-90's the media made such a big scandal over players getting headcoaches
fired, so today players have to watch what they say reguarding their headcoach....
we seen it with Larry Brown in Indiana, in Philly, in Detroit, and on the Knicks,
players wanted to complain about Larry Brown attitude, plus always pointing the
finger at players after a loss to the media.

Dantoni is looking for veteran players to do 95% of his job....everyone forgot that
Shawn Marion was the leader/orchestrator of the Phoenix Suns when Mike Dantoni
was the assistant coach of Denver....Dantoni spent a year in Italy after being FIRED
from Denver.

To give Dantoni all the credit for Steve Nash or Jeremy Lin creativity in an open-court
is INSANE...