The crash..

smokes

Huge Member
Can websites inject viruses into your computer without you downloading stuff? I don't have an antivirus :(

rady

Administrator
Staff member
quiggle, thanks! think i found it! let me see if i can figure out a way of fixing it!

LE: actually, that wasn't a virus. Can you attach a screenshot?

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Can websites inject viruses into your computer without you downloading stuff? I don't have an antivirus :(
http://www.avast.com/index

Avast is free and works well enough to keep your system clean. If you can't spend much $$$ on your software there is always plenty of legal, free and good working stuff. And answering your question, unfortunately, yes they can.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Did some homework it seems that the infection hasn't been totally removed yet, you might wanna read this if you're using a combination of MAC/Linux + Chrome:

The attack, however, is limited by the fact that it won?t work in some web browsers. Modern versions of Internet Explorer do not decode most Base64 and while Google Chrome will, it will not execute the 302 redirect from TinyURL. Google Chrome will decode the base64 and will execute the resulting JavaScript, thus simply hiding the data URL information behind ?Click Here? or similar innocuous text would likely be successful. Many of the web browser options for the Android platform will also not execute the script. As a result, while this type of attack may not work in purely Microsoft/Internet Explorer environments, it will be effective against Linux, Mac OS X, iPhones, iPads, some Android-based phones/tablets making, it an effective threat against most corporate environments.

I've contacted the hosting company and asked them to run some tests as i have absolutely no idea how to fix this, and i will get back with updates.

BTW: i tried WinXP and Win7 with both Chrome and Firefox. It didn't seem to affect neither the pc nor the notebook. The problem must be with the MAC users..

CoolClyde

Did some homework it seems that the infection hasn't been totally removed yet, you might wanna read this if you're using a combination of MAC/Linux + Chrome:

The attack, however, is limited by the fact that it won?t work in some web browsers. Modern versions of Internet Explorer do not decode most Base64 and while Google Chrome will, it will not execute the 302 redirect from TinyURL. Google Chrome will decode the base64 and will execute the resulting JavaScript, thus simply hiding the data URL information behind ?Click Here? or similar innocuous text would likely be successful. Many of the web browser options for the Android platform will also not execute the script. As a result, while this type of attack may not work in purely Microsoft/Internet Explorer environments, it will be effective against Linux, Mac OS X, iPhones, iPads, some Android-based phones/tablets making, it an effective threat against most corporate environments.

I've contacted the hosting company and asked them to run some tests as i have absolutely no idea how to fix this, and i will get back with updates.

BTW: i tried WinXP and Win7 with both Chrome and Firefox. It didn't seem to affect neither the pc nor the notebook. The problem must be with the MAC users..

uh oh! neg rep for you Rady!

jk

rady

Administrator
Staff member
The site is now OFFICIALLY cleaned and all you mac lovers can get back on your chrome browsers safe!

smokes

Huge Member
Has anyone noticed popups happening when they try to write replies to posts? This has happened to me 3 times today a bunch of ads popping up while I'm responding.

rogeryy

Benchwarmer
progeria-trolling-gifs-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-270.gif
Thanks Rady! It was a nice picture. But could you try something like "unloopme"'s sometimes? :)

rady

Administrator
Staff member
sorry, i was stoned as f**k that night :)

smokes, are you still getting popups? most certainly they are not from here, please post the urls if you get them again

smokes

Huge Member
sorry, i was stoned as f**k that night :)

smokes, are you still getting popups? most certainly they are not from here, please post the urls if you get them again

No it was only on that particular day, but strangely they were only occurring when I was replying to posts on this site and never at any other point.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
We got another attack but luckily i was on the spot and restored the whole forum, the rest of the site will be cleaned in the next minutes. Not sure how this happened AGAIN as passwords were changed and most of the software was updated.. i'm trying to figure this out. Currently the forum is safe.

fender0577

Rotation player
We got another attack but luckily i was on the spot and restored the whole forum, the rest of the site will be cleaned in the next minutes. Not sure how this happened AGAIN as passwords were changed and most of the software was updated.. i'm trying to figure this out. Currently the forum is safe.
Thanks for your work Rady.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
It's about time to update our hardware. :teeth:

double_action_gun_counter.jpg

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@rady: forum's not loading at times, could you please fix it? It's 20 minutes before tip-off and you know everybody will get pissed if we can't have some trash talk about the Craptors. :D