Official Knicks Bench Thread

Kiyaman

Legend
Feb 29 Knicks vs Cavs game

This was the first time in 4 seasons that Dantoni played a 10 man rotation.
I'm wondering if all Dantoni's consecutive losses to headcoach Byron Scott (Hornets/Cavs) is what made Dantoni finally play 10 players in his rotation.

Dantoni substitution still needs a lot of work....the team-chemistry is not there but the team-talent speaks volume of all-star excitement.
The first half of the game looked like another slowly Knicks loss being down by 17 points at halftime, with several individual-players making ISO plays to try to bring the Knicks back into the game by themselves when it wasnt our offense that had us down by 17 points....Tyson Chandler & Jeremy Lin picked up the defense in the 3rd quarter to tie the game by the start of the 4th quarter. Our bench players Novak/Jeff/Shump/JR/and Davis took the lead in the 4th quarter and stretch it to a Knicks 17 point lead.

skisloper

Starter
I think Dantonio is a bright guy. He is looking at this Knicks Team and realizes he has a shot to win the NBA finals.....Using an 10-11 man rotation will give him the opportunity to have a healthy team down the stretch,,,,,

with that said I cannot understand why Chandler went back into the game.....

Kiyaman

Legend
Knowing we have depth on the bench....

Having deep-depth on the Knicks bench does not help us WIN games when we still have a personal-problem headcoach Dantoni running the show.
We had depth on our bench the previous seasons inwhich Dantoni locked-down to DNP for his own personal reasons. Lastseason Dantoni's DNP caused injuries/fatique with a 7+ man rotation which had owner Dolan trade our depth for superstars Melo/Billups.
I'm hoping we use this 10 man rotation throughout the 2nd half of the season....please no personal-conflicts between player & coach or coach brother. :crossfingers:

Players like 7.0 Jerome Jordan & 6.10 Jorts will be needed in our postseason games to give us screens, picks, rebound, boxout, blockshots, and foul in the paint for just 12 minutes per game so Tyson & Stat dont have to do all the bigman work by themselves.

Having a 2nd unit means having a bench-unit of co-exist players at all position....which means we will be giving playingtime to "Davis & Smith" together at the same time so they could Jell as a backcourt tandem to add something different from our starting backcourt of Lin & Fields.
Shump is our backcourt weapon to win games with a 3-guard offense unit....
Shump co-exist well with both backcourt tandems.
When u add Novak/Jefferies into a lineup together the two players steady movement on offense/defense equal a Lebron James without the assist, that is why Novak/Jeff perform so well in a lineup with C-Tyson Chandler.

We will have 3 to 4 overtime practices before going to Boston to play the Celtics this Sunday....the Celtics are weak athletically but their system is strong and gets stronger in the 4th quarter. We must play 48 minutes of B.Ball in Boston using a 10+ man rotation having fresh legs in the 4th quarter.
We will need Shump the most to cause havoc in a 3-guard offense in the 2nd half of the game to help hold down Rondo/Ray/Pierce.
:smokin::gony: :smokin:

Kiyaman

Legend
I think Dantonio is a bright guy. He is looking at this Knicks Team and realizes he has a shot to win the NBA finals.....Using an 10-11 man rotation will give him the opportunity to have a healthy team down the stretch,,,,,

with that said I cannot understand why Chandler went back into the game.....

because your last statement proves your first statement is a fraud....have u ever seen Dantoni use more than 8 players in his rotation? NO-Never!
Headcoach Tom Thibs would quit coaching if Dantoni won a postseason series on him. u need to do the history on Byron Scott vs Dantoni.
The Knicks were up by 15 points with 4 minutes left in the game all 12 players shouldve got playingtime....especially with the trading deadline right around the corner.

skisloper

Starter
because your last statement proves your first statement is a fraud....have u ever seen Dantoni use more than 8 players in his rotation? NO-Never!
Headcoach Tom Thibs would quit coaching if Dantoni won a postseason series on him. u need to do the history on Byron Scott vs Dantoni.
The Knicks were up by 15 points with 4 minutes left in the game all 12 players shouldve got playingtime....especially with the trading deadline right around the corner.

Kiyaman your an angry soul......Yes of course my statement was contradicting,,,I hope that he realizes what he has yet then I question why Chandler is back in the game......

BUT You seem to always have a reason for when Dantonio does something good that he did it for the wrong reason...Listen I know you hate the guy and you will not change your opinion......I am not saying you should...

I am hoping that he is a bit more humble in his last year and realizes he has the opportunity to bring an NBA CROWN to NYC with the tools he has.

zshopa

Benchwarmer
Having deep-depth on the Knicks bench does not help us WIN games when we still have a personal-problem headcoach Dantoni running the show.
We had depth on our bench the previous seasons inwhich Dantoni locked-down to DNP for his own personal reasons. Lastseason Dantoni's DNP caused injuries/fatique with a 7+ man rotation which had owner Dolan trade our depth for superstars Melo/Billups.
I'm hoping we use this 10 man rotation throughout the 2nd half of the season....please no personal-conflicts between player & coach or coach brother. :crossfingers:

Players like 7.0 Jerome Jordan & 6.10 Jorts will be needed in our postseason games to give us screens, picks, rebound, boxout, blockshots, and foul in the paint for just 12 minutes per game so Tyson & Stat dont have to do all the bigman work by themselves.

Having a 2nd unit means having a bench-unit of co-exist players at all position....which means we will be giving playingtime to "Davis & Smith" together at the same time so they could Jell as a backcourt tandem to add something different from our starting backcourt of Lin & Fields.
Shump is our backcourt weapon to win games with a 3-guard offense unit....
Shump co-exist well with both backcourt tandems.
When u add Novak/Jefferies into a lineup together the two players steady movement on offense/defense equal a Lebron James without the assist, that is why Novak/Jeff perform so well in a lineup with C-Tyson Chandler.

We will have 3 to 4 overtime practices before going to Boston to play the Celtics this Sunday....the Celtics are weak athletically but their system is strong and gets stronger in the 4th quarter. We must play 48 minutes of B.Ball in Boston using a 10+ man rotation having fresh legs in the 4th quarter.
We will need Shump the most to cause havoc in a 3-guard offense in the 2nd half of the game to help hold down Rondo/Ray/Pierce.
:smokin::gony: :smokin:

I agree with everything u said, EXCEPT.... Stat doesnt do "Big Man Work" no boxing out no defense and hes been clumsy with the ball, Lin Out rebounds stat every night!!! sad.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I really like what our bench brings. We really don't have a huge drop-off with the second unit BUT I would like to see how all this plays out beginning Sunday with some of the better teams in the league.

Time to see what this team is really made of.

Also, I'm not in favor of trying to come up with a cool name for the bench off of one game. This is what brings unneccesary attention to the team. I'd rather the bench just play hard and try to stay somewhat under the radar. Do they really need the pressure to perform like they did EVERY night? Next thing you know ESPN will be going overboard with it and whenever they don't have a great game they will be criticized hard.

Just play basketball.

Wargames

Starter
I agree with everything u said, EXCEPT.... Stat doesnt do "Big Man Work" no boxing out no defense and hes been clumsy with the ball, Lin Out rebounds stat every night!!! sad.

I'm telling you guys Jorts is gonna help Amares game down the stretch. He does all the Big Man grunt work defensively and he can shoot outside offensively. That should get Amare 1 on 1 open lane situations so he can drive to the basket.

Kiyaman

Legend
Kiyaman your an angry soul......Yes of course my statement was contradicting,,,I hope that he realizes what he has yet then I question why Chandler is back in the game......

BUT You seem to always have a reason for when Dantonio does something good that he did it for the wrong reason...Listen I know you hate the guy and you will not change your opinion......I am not saying you should...

I am hoping that he is a bit more humble in his last year and realizes he has the opportunity to bring an NBA CROWN to NYC with the tools he has.

I didnt mean that in a mean way aiming at u, its just that everytime Dantoni do one good thing he turns around to do 3 stupid things.
I too, want the Knicks to get a CROWN....but I dont see it with Dantoni apart of the organization. u right the guy do make me angry....but I been a hard core Knicksfan since Red Holzman

skisloper

Starter
I didnt mean that in a mean way aiming at u, its just that everytime Dantoni do one good thing he turns around to do 3 stupid things.
I too, want the Knicks to get a CROWN....but I dont see it with Dantoni apart of the organization. u right the guy do make me angry....but I been a hard core Knicksfan since Red Holzman

I am cautiously optimistic that Dantoni has been somewhat humbled and will out his arrogance to the side and realize he needs to change his style for the Knicks to succeed......

Wargames

Starter
heard on another forum that apparently Shump likes Mobb Deep or the 6th men..... I really like Mobb Deep though.

It Sounds Tough and obviously has NY roots due to its connection to NY rap.

Kiyaman

Legend
Mike has admitted that the second Unit has been outplaying the first Unit the last couple of days in practice and have been beating them.

http://knicksnow.com/videos/671/d-antoni-postgame

I been a big fan of using a 2nd unit since Hubie Brown coach the Knicks....
especially when u keep turning over your roster consistently like the Knicks been doing the past decade by adding several new players during the season. u must have a program system to unite the new players by adding them with the 2nd unit of players to see how well they compliment the 2nd unit.

I been promoting a 2nd-unit for the Knicks since 2005 when we drafted Frye, Lee, Nate, and had a 2nd season Trevor Ariza....they were NBA Ready with a high athletic level to be put into a coaches scheme system for a inside and outside plan.

The Knicks having a stream of good-luck in finding Jeremy Lin & Novak has to be like a person playing the Lottery for the first time and hitting it.
Lin-Sanity & Novak added a new dimension to this Knicks team (9-3) without any practices, they made Baron Davis healthy, and JR Smith leave China.

Having deep bench depth of....
PG-BDiddy, SG-Smith, combo-Shump, SF-Novak, PF-Jefferies, PF-Jorts, and C-Jordan should be in our back to back rotation (we were playing 4 games in 6 days).

We need to FIRE Dantoni-brothers, and let Mike Woodson & Herb finish
out the 2nd half of the season...

c0leworld

Benchwarmer
Man, I love watching our bench. They turned the game around in the 1st half yesterday, forced many turnovers, got steals, novak hit some big ones, etc. Jeffries had a few too. They hustle so hard and play with so much energy, I wish our starters could feed off their energy.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Plus/Minus

Although plus/minus statistics can certainly be misleading, they were interesting in yesterday's game with Boston. If I remember correctly, no one in the starting five was better than a minus 8, but all but JR in the second unit were at least a plus 8. JR was a minus 2.