MDA does it again...

goNYgo

Rookie
What qualifies anyone here as a scout for a good coach? You know-it-alls really have it all figured out.

Its easy to blame the coach, but to say D'Antoni lost the game is truely psycho.

If you watched the game, the refs beat the Knicks, not the Celtics.

For example; this was a technical

This game was rigged, no matter who the coach is, Knicks were going to lose.

So please... stop crying and being so dramatic over D'Antoni; D'Antoni gave you Lin and Steve Novak two guys who would started a career in Europe because nobody in the NBA wanted to give them a chance.
Enough of with the the refs rigged the game bullshit. Take your blue and orange glasses off for a second and look at Shumpert scream in Garnetts face. It should have been a technical, and it was.

D'Antoni is horrible. End of case.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks' D'Antoni defends decision not to foul Celtics

By MARC BERMAN

Last Updated: 5:43 PM, March 5, 2012
DALLAS - Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni went on a long rant about his least-favorite subject - his refusal to intentioanlly foul when his team is up three points in the final 10 seconds.
D'Antoni's philosophy has been unbending since taking over the Knicks and has met a lot of bad endings. Paul Pierce hit the 3-point dagger over Iman Shumpert with 4.9 seconds left to send Sunday's game to overtime and the Celtics carried home the victory. It was a very tough shot, off-balance, but D'Antoni still heard the critics back home.

According to D'Antoni, he said the stat service the Knicks use confirms his belief and he said most coaches agree with him. D'Antoni said the service has tracked games since 1995 and teams who don't foul with 10 seconds left or less and up three, win roughly 93 percent of the games.
Teams who do foul in the same circumstance win 90 percent of the games. D'Antoni said players also prefer to play straight-up defense and not worry about fouling intentionally to extend the game.
?It's a three percentage points difference,?? D'Antoni said after Monday's practice at AmericanAirlines Center. "With 10 seconds to go you have a helluva chance to win. You ask most players, they don?t want to foul. Because you don?t want to be that guy to have to go down (the other end) and make those two foul shots.''
D'Antoni feels players like Pierce are too smart to not turn the intentional foul into a shooting foul.

"The philosophy is not to foul but you say that with an asterisk,'' D'Antoni said. "Down below 5 seconds and they?re in the 2-point (range) and you can get a good shot at somebody, you do it. But Paul Pierce has the ball and he?s like this (in shooting motion). You can?t foul him. Because he?ll go up. He?s smart enough.

"Now do you foul him with 10 seconds and you just do everything we just did. If you get it down to eight seconds, maybe. They make theirs (free throws). They foul you immediately. Seven seconds left. You miss one foul shot. They?re coming at you and you?re defending the two.'
"You put the onus on the referee to make a call that's dubious,'' D'Antoni added. "If you pick the ball up, it?s a shooting foul. That?s why most coaches won?t do it. It?s hard.''

D'Antoni gave a curious answer when asked if defensive assistant Mike Woodson has same approach.
"I don?t think that really matters, to be honest with you,'' D'Antoni said. "Because guess who gets fired? But he is in agreement. I don?t know because I don?t think I?ve asked him.
I always wondered about how often NBA coaches do commit the foul when up by 3. I don't see it done very often probably because coaches are aware of the stats slightly favoring not fouling and because the 3 is mostly a low percentage shot. That said, I would still like to have seen the Knicks risk an AND 1 instead of going into OT in the Boston arena.

Red

TYPE-A
What qualifies anyone here as a scout for a good coach? You know-it-alls really have it all figured out.

Its easy to blame the coach, but to say D'Antoni lost the game is truely psycho.

If you watched the game, the refs beat the Knicks, not the Celtics.

For example; this was a technical

This game was rigged, no matter who the coach is, Knicks were going to lose.

So please... stop crying and being so dramatic over D'Antoni; D'Antoni gave you Lin and Steve Novak two guys who would started a career in Europe because nobody in the NBA wanted to give them a chance.

You should look up the word blame then make the distinction between that and excuse.

To intimate a conspiracy as an excuse is about as weak as you can get. Coming from you, I'm surprised.

Rondo getting more rebounds than our front-court bigs is unacceptable. Explainable when considering the consequenses of coaching decisions, yet still unacceptable.

There are no excuses. Sorry he's run out of them. And attempting to explain his decisions based on statisticians observances is like asking a guy to crash his car to prove he has more of a chance dying in a car than a plane crash.

Yeah, it was the refs. LMAO

Shit is weak and desperate. And bringing up Isaiah... wow, save it.

skisloper

Starter
Dantonio is correct..............when you look at it statistically he made the right call.....BUT this is the same issue we have with Dantonio on everything........

Statistically and on paper he is correct................But those statistics on based on all NBA teams and players............

Now throw Pierce and Allen into the mix and those statistics I am sure change..

Maybe some will debate but if I had to pick the Top 3 players in the league to hit a clutch 3 it would be Pierce, Allen and Durant.....AND yes all # have beaten us this way!!!

so again its Dantonio basing this on Stats.....And Jeffries should have been on Pierce ....

nyk_nyk

All Star
Dantonio is correct..............when you look at it statistically he made the right call.....BUT this is the same issue we have with Dantonio on everything........

Statistically and on paper he is correct................But those statistics on based on all NBA teams and players............

Now throw Pierce and Allen into the mix and those statistics I am sure change..

Maybe some will debate but if I had to pick the Top 3 players in the league to hit a clutch 3 it would be Pierce, Allen and Durant.....AND yes all # have beaten us this way!!!

so again its Dantonio basing this on Stats.....And Jeffries should have been on Pierce ....
Great post! The stats Antoni mentioned include mostly non clutch players, so in that way its skewed. Point is, if you're playing a team like DET or CHA or any other team void of great 3pt shooters, you might decide to play it out. On the other hand, if you have clutch shooters like PP and RA on the floor then your have to strongly consider fouling.

Jeffries absolutely should of been on the floor guarding Pierce (at the very least for length) but for some odd reason Antoni preferred to have Amare in there doing nothing.

metrocard

Legend
It should have been a technical, and it was.

tumblr_lymb0bfhjD1qglx18o2_500.gif

Dude, lin was sent to the d-league twice, and only played because TD, was playing the worst bball in the NBA, and Novack only played because, JORTS got hurt.Remember, C'ANToni was on his way out, so to say he gave us, those to is reaching, abit.I wouldn't say he's a huge upgrade, over anyone, stop it.

Sending Lin to the D League was a great move, but to not give D'Antoni credit for giving Lin a big role on this team is just straight hating. I pat you on the back, hater...you may continue with the hating.

D'Antoni isn't a BAD coach, nor a GREAT coach, personally I don't like Mike D'Antoni because of what he did to my boy Stephon. But you guys need to read what you're texting...sadly this is just the new trend amongst Knick fans who can't make sense all of this. Be complex with the mind...work in different angles.

wynton

Rookie
Enough of with the the refs rigged the game bullshit. Take your blue and orange glasses off for a second and look at Shumpert scream in Garnetts face. It should have been a technical, and it was.

I've watched that clip several times, and I still think it was an absurd call. Shumpert screamed afterwards, like players routinely do after dunks. Garnett just happened to be there. Shump did not go out of his way to direct his scream at Garnett.

fender0577

Rotation player
tumblr_lymb0bfhjD1qglx18o2_500.gif

Sending Lin to the D League was a great move, but to not give D'Antoni credit for giving Lin a big role on this team is just straight hating. I pat you on the back, hater...you may continue with the hating.

D'Antoni isn't a BAD coach, nor a GREAT coach, personally I don't like Mike D'Antoni because of what he did to my boy Stephon. But you guys need to read what you're texting...sadly this is just the new trend amongst Knick fans who can't make sense all of this. Be complex with the mind...work in different angles.
And..why was that a great move, when he was here, and could have helped us all season, but C'ANToni couldn't see that.Hey man, you can call me what you what, that's your opinion, but you can't argue facts, Lin was here, the whole time, and C'ANToni though he belonged in the D-League, until he saved his a**.So, stop it.

CoolClyde

Coach Macaroni Plays The Percentages

the fact that Coach Macaroni chooses not to foul because statistics since 1995 show that teams
who do NOT foul win 93% of games vs teams who DO foul win 90% of games exposes him for
being a jackass coach. every game is a different animal unto itself and must be played accordingly.
depending on who you're playing, what has happened in the game, who is hot and who is not,
game momentum etc. He chooses the 3% better statistic to dictate ALL his coaching decisions. D'umb!

this same headset is the basis for his 7 seconds or less offensive genius, which iSayUghh has defended
incessantly, and to a degree, I agree with, but then again, depending on who is running your team (PG),
and what players makeup your team, does not always work, AS WE HAVE SEEN FOR THE PAST 4 YEARS!

This loss is one of the worst since last year's playoff loss to the 'dicks, when pretty much the
exact same thing happened with Pierceclit hitting the 3, or when Durant hit the 3 last year.

I believe this is an inherent coaching fault, relying on statistics instead of coaching with your head
AND heart. but I don't think Antoni has a heart, or a defense-oriented gameplan, for that matter.
:2cents:
loser_toni.jpg

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
And..why was that a great move, when he was here, and could have helped us all season, but C'ANToni couldn't see that.Hey man, you can call me what you what, that's your opinion, but you can't argue facts, Lin was here, the whole time, and C'ANToni though he belonged in the D-League, until he saved his a**.So, stop it.

Stop crying.

Lin had no confidence in his game.

Lin built his confidence in the NBDL.

He flourished under the D'Antoni system as we witnessed.

Lin is a guy who plays on either confidence or fear. Against defensive squads like the Heat and Celtics, he tends to fold and play with no confidence.

D'Antoni open up Lin and gave him a chance. You can't take that away. Ever.

and just because a guy goes to the D League doesn't mean he belongs there. Theres other reasons and purpose to use the Development League.

Jose Juan Barea was sent to the DLeague and he came back to Dallas to help them win a championship. It was a GREAT move to develop a players morale.

Confidence is big factor in Lin's game.

fender0577

Rotation player
Stop crying.

Lin had no confidence in his game.

Lin built his confidence in the NBDL.

He flourished under the D'Antoni system as we witnessed.

Lin is a guy who plays on either confidence or fear. Against defensive squads like the Heat and Celtics, he tends to fold and play with no confidence.

D'Antoni open up Lin and gave him a chance. You can't take that away. Ever.

and just because a guy goes to the D League doesn't mean he belongs there. Theres other reasons and purpose to use the Development League.

Jose Juan Barea was sent to the DLeague and he came back to Dallas to help them win a championship. It was a GREAT move to develop a players morale.

Confidence is big factor in Lin's game.
Crying about what?All i asked was why was it a good move to send him to the d-league, if you don't want to have an adult convo, it's ok, but you don't have to try insult people.

RealNYK78

Rookie
Where the Accountablity on lack of focus on the team?

This is key reason why this team be down n losing to good teams and struggle against bad teams..Mel running his mouth n throw a no look inbound pass to Amare = Turnover...Coach doesn't scream at Melo or anything..I would bench him 2nd half to send a focus message...PS Baron Davis use the Team foul to give at the end of 1st Quarter. (MESSAGE) LOL