MDA does it again...

iSaYughh

Starter
We foul they make 1. Now Doc has to make the call, purposely miss 1 in hopes of a rebound. To me, all those "stars" are harder to align then a heavily contested PP34 3ptr.

Pierce hits the 3, generally speaking, at a .370 clip (being generous). We could find a way to find a lower, truer % given it was a well contested shot, but I'll throw a bone.

What some of the rubes here fail to realize (or just don't want to admit) is that even if Pierce makes the shot, we have a very reasonable chunk of time to win the game outright on a final possession -- in Melo's hands.

Maybe the most clutch, pure scorer on the planet.

In the worst situation (another bone I'll toss y'all's way) our % of making any score on the final play is tantamount to the very shot Pierce/they were forced into attempting.

Even then, assuming they make and we miss....we don't lose, and can look to outplay them in OT.

These types of things have profound ramifications when you look to the two plays, and decide to say which is best, and which is best by how much.

And, if you recall, we stormed them in the 4th, particularly the end, overcoming a 9pt deficit and simply outplaying them -- on the back of excellent play by Melo, no less -- leading up to the point they were put in the horrible position to have a chance at even tying the game in OT.

Idk, the alternative route of fouling could be a very marginally superior % play. My guess it isn't. But I really don't know.

I do you many of you are just fronting and hating, and either don't know what you're talking about, or are going out of your way to willfully simplify this scenario to a laughable extent, to prove the long-standing goal of "MDA is an idiot'.

fender0577

Rotation player
Pierce hits the 3, generally speaking, at a .370 clip (being generous). We could find a way to find a lower, truer % given it was a well contested shot, but I'll throw a bone.

What some of the rubes here fail to realize (or just don't want to admit) is that even if Pierce makes the shot, we have a very reasonable chunk of time to win the game outright on a final possession -- in Melo's hands.

In the worst situation (another bone I'll toss y'all's way) our % of making any score on the final play is tantamount to the very shot Pierce/they were forced into attempting.

Even then, assuming they make and we miss....we don't lose, and can look to outplay them in OT.

These types of things have profound ramifications when you look to the two plays, and decide to say which is best, and which is best by how much.

And, if you recall, we stormed them in the 4th, particularly the end, overcoming a 9pt deficit and simply outplaying them -- on the back of excellent play by Melo, no less -- leading up to the point they were put in the horrible position to have a chance at even tying the game in OT.

Idk, the alternative route of fouling could be a very marginally superior % play. My guess it isn't. But I really don't know.

I do you many of you are just fronting and hating, and either don't know what you're talking about, or are going out of your way to willfully simplify this scenario to a laughable extent, to prove the long-standing goal of "MDA is an idiot'.
But don't you always take the superior play, no matter how very marginal.

smokes

Huge Member
It's pretty much a call that is different from coach to coach. MDA is not the only coach in the NBA who doesn't foul when up 3. It's really a choice of personal preference.

I prefer to foul in that situation because we do have a lot of good FT shooters, it seems like the right play to me. But it's not like the whole game came down to that 1 play, there were a ton of different things that combined for us to come out with the L and only a few can be attributed to coaching.

iSaYughh

Starter
But don't you always take the superior play, no matter how very marginal.

Yes, 100%. You always should, no matter how marginal, even if it feels uncomfortable.

But idk if it even is superior. For one, you'd need %s on rates of recovering an "intentional" missed free throw, which I got no clue about.

Fouling might be weaker...I think the sequence of evidence I laid is fairly powerful, and points to us having been placed in a supremely advantageous scenario with multiple paths to victory; including the fact we were simply outplaying BOS, especially in the 4th and to close the game out, so it's not like OT (in a absolute worse case scenario) is something we should think to be any worse than a 50% chance of winning even then.

Are there powerful arguments for why you should foul? Ya, I'm not denying that.

But outside of a few posts, if you read this thread, you would think it was as clear cut a choice as adding up 2+2 and saying it equals 4.

Whether we played poorly the entire game or not. Whether we had to many turnovers or not. Whether Rondo blew up or not. At 18.9 seconds left we had the game WON. You dont want to foul immediately? Fine, but with a 3 point lead the other team should never be given an attempt at a 3 to tie the game. Coaching staffs are quite often given the moniker of brain trust. No one on our sideline can make that claim...

iSaYughh

Starter
It's pretty much a call that is different from coach to coach. MDA is not the only coach in the NBA who doesn't foul when up 3. It's really a choice of personal preference.

I prefer to foul in that situation because we do have a lot of good FT shooters, it seems like the right play to me. But it's not like the whole game came down to that 1 play, there were a ton of different things that combined for us to come out with the L and only a few can be attributed to coaching.

+, in this precise situation there is some particular argument to back up not fouling:

Having one of the most clutch, pure scorers in the NBA (Melo) to finish the game, even *if* the opposing team makes the unlikely 3.

Not being an inferior team, and having been outplaying the opposition to close the game out -- which we had done, overcoming a 9pt defect in the 4th to set up the end, and so OT wasn't a situation to be feared as one where our winning % was below 50.

KingofNy

Starter
Only MDA can take one of the deepest teams in the league and turn them into below .500 foddlers. He is and has been a JOKE! As I've been saying for years, Fire D'Antoni!

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
Only MDA can take one of the deepest teams in the league and turn them into below .500 foddlers. He is and has been a JOKE! As I've been saying for years, Fire D'Antoni!

I am not going to comment on the overall performance of MDA but he should've reminded the team that they had one foul to give and that they should never allow anyone to take a three. Foul them hard. That is simply inexcusable.

Van Gundy would never allow that.

JazRedGT

Benchwarmer

I agree with nothing you just said. I'm not even bothering to read it all. Point blank you don't let Ray Allen or Paul Pierce get a chance to recieve an illegal screen from Garnett in Boston in the 4th quarter ever period! This is one of the clutchest shooters in the game. How many times has he done this to us? The right play with a 3 point lead on the road and the other team with 0timeouts is to foul and grab the rebound on the second free throw or smack it as far into the back court as possible. AGAIN they had NO TIMEOUTS!!

Even the D'Antoni timeout was stupid. You basically
just gave Doc Rivers a chance to draw up a final play after your free throws. LMAO!! Is just comical at this point. LMAO!!

:barf::teeth:

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
The right play with a 3 point lead on the road and the other team with 0timeouts is to foul and grab the rebound on the second free throw or smack it as far into the back court as possible. AGAIN they had NO TIMEOUTS!!

Even the D'Antoni timeout was stupid. You basically
just gave Doc Rivers a chance to draw up a final play after your free throws. LMAO!! Is just comical at this point. LMAO!!

:barf::teeth:

I never understood why MDA did not remind his players to foul. I also did not understand why he called the timeout.

MDA's lack of basic coaching strategy is seriously hurting this team.

Paul1355

All Star
What did you expect him to tell his players?There was way to much time 18 seconds for them to foul on purpose.Pierce has killed this team and he done it again today.Placing blame on MDA,is crazy in my book.

This has happened too many times WVKnickfan

Remember Durant doing the same thing last year? We don't foul he nails a three. Im pretty sure Pierce has done this before in the same situation against us. This has happened plenty of times and Clyde Frazier always complains about it.

It is coaching 101...your up by 3 and you know the ball is going to Allen or Pierce who can hit clutch 3's you have to foul...no excuse. And Jr smith should have doubled pierce to help shumpert

This has happened too many times WVKnickfan

Remember Durant doing the same thing last year? We don't foul he nails a three. Im pretty sure Pierce has done this before in the same situation against us. This has happened plenty of times and Clyde Frazier always complains about it.

It is coaching 101...your up by 3 and you know the ball is going to Allen or Pierce who can hit clutch 3's you have to foul...no excuse. And Jr smith should have doubled pierce to help shumpert

You're spot on. This game was WON. First off we should have pressured the ball on the way up court. Second, you have to have Jared Jeffries in the game. Whe I saw these two things not happening I knew he wasnt going to do the smart thing.This coach is clueless...

petescud

Starter
yeah you got to imagine Doc Rivers and his coaching staff praising Dantoni for giving them the chance to send it to OT

Red

TYPE-A
to Let Any, I Repeat Any, Pg Or Player In The League To Drop A Triple-double, Is Absolutely Unacceptable.

With This Line-up

With Our Asspirations

Its Unacceptable.

Get It Done, Or Get The F*ck Outta Here!

No Reasons, No Excuses. If D'antoni Can't Get It Done, Replace Him.

Signed Type-a.

Kiyaman

Legend
How many games in 4 seasons does Bum Dantoni have to prove he is clueless to NBA B.Ball?
He no longer have Nash & Marion to make crunchtime decisions.
My sister was ranting the Knicks are a foul away from a win in Boston during the foolish Dantoni time-out.
There are NBA scouting-reports that go back 10 years to never give Ray Allen or Pierce a inch of room anywhere on the court for the last shot.

This Boston game was the start of a tough 9 game schedule where 7 of our oponents are .500 playoff teams. A win over Boston in Boston wouldve raised the Knicks players confidence level to perform at a .600 record team level.
:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:
P.S. all the commentators speaking on the Knicks vs Cetics game is only mentioning Rondo's tripple double...

jimkcchief88

All Star
A lot of focus on the 3 point play at the end of regulation a rightly so, but really MDA was out coached the entire second half. We go into halftime with a lead, then quickly lose it and have to fight back at the end.

Kiyaman

Legend
A lot of focus on the 3 point play at the end of regulation a rightly so, but really MDA was out coached the entire second half. We go into halftime with a lead, then quickly lose it and have to fight back at the end.

Lin & Shump bust there chops to get that 3 point lead with 18 seconds left in the game....
with Boston having no timeouts to take the ball out at halfcourt....
Knicks WIN with Rondo & Lin taking foul shots.
:thumbsup:
Headcoaches Jax, Sloan, Pop, Doc, Thibs being up by 3 points with 18 seconds
left in the game, plus their oponent have no timeouts wouldve foul their oponents
on every possession 10 times out of 10.