JR, so we have a starting offensive and a second defensive unit. Landry isn't even a shooting guard, so we should move him at #3 off the bench.
Lintendo, Swish, Carmelo, Amare and Tyson
Boom, Shump, Landry, Jeffries and Jorts
Novak as our special unit with limited minutes.
I voted Fields for 3 reasons:
1. He doesn't need touches but can find buckets for himself.
2. Lin plays better with Fields than anyone bar Chandler.
3. I'd like to see a full second unit of Novak, Jefferies, Shump, JR and Baron find their continuity as a second squad before there are any adulterations to a starting lineup that's yet to hit 5th gear. Jorts being the addition to that squad if we play a bigger team/bigger team's bench.
If Fields gets a mid range game, the choice would be all the easier.
Both JR and Shumpert are better all-around players than Fields.
But I voted for Fields anyway, for a few reasons I've mentioned before.
1. As a starter, I think there's a chance that Shumpert tightens up, makes more mistakes and plays with less energy overall.
2. JR's first instinct is to shoot, which is fine with the second unit but not so great with the first unit.
3. Both JR and Shump provide valuable spark, as bench players.
4. When coming off the bench, there is a little more flexibility how Shump can be used, either at the 2 or 3.
5. If Fields is in the second unit, that group becomes a bit offense-starved.
6. Last thing this team needs is another shakeup.
7. Chemistry: Lin and Fields are buds.
On the other hand, I think that Shump should often be getting more minutes than Fields at the end of the game and in crunch time, for defensive reasons. In fact, it may well work out that Shump plays more minutes over all than Fields. But the poll simply asked who should start.
I would like to see Shump as the starting SG next year, though.
Watching shump in the celtics game gave me butterflys. Hes finally learning to finish and his defense is insane. Its only a matter of time before he starts getting the dwayne wade lebron treatment and not get techs for absolutely nothing, hes gonna be a scary dude when hes in his prime oh my...
JR Smith has more offense to offer as a SG but he simply shoots too much for the team chemistry to work. At this point, I'd settle for Shump who is work in progress and should get better over time.
I think Shumpert fits in better with the 1st unit and Fields looks better with the 2nd unit
Shumpert adds perimeter D and Fields will give the 2nd unit help on the boards
Iman Shumpert>>>>>>>Dwyane Wade
Plus JR brings a nice spark off the bench
I'd rather have Shump and Davis as the starting back court
I voted for Shump, but after reading the posts on here and thinking about it some more I think I'd keep it the way it is. The second unit is straight balling right now. No need to mess with it. They can always play Fields less minutes when Shumps defensive skills or JR's shooting skills are needed...
But my vote still goes to Shump who should only improve with more playing time. He is a great one-on-one defender and has the ability to go to the hole hard. With him running on the wing, Lin will have more options to distribute the ball.
if we put Jr Smith at SG then Jeffries has to replace Statue to balance it out
Lin Melo Smith... all scorers and Jeffries and Chandler defending and rebounds
"I'm more concern how Melo is gonna play with Lin" Joe Budden
JR Smith spreads the floor. Shumpert likes to slash, but it clutters the offense.
I don't think you understand...
A spaced out floor = best for Amare and Lin. Amare disappears when you have 3 guys producing in the paint or iso. Lin turns the ball over and has to stop his dribble.
JR Smith is BY FAR the best option at SG. Spread the ball out...avoid turnovers..keep the ball moving.