Knicks midseason grades & thoughts on the remainder of the season

Grade A-Chandler needs to get healthy and continue leading this team. He’s been every thing we could’ve asked for…We need: 10 & 12 for the rest of the year.

Grade B-Melo has to be more involved in the offense. There is no two ways about this. He passes better than given credit for, he also rebounds well. Truthfully he needs more ISO’s…We need: 25pts + for the rest of the year

Grade D-STAT is my fellow, but he has to play smarter and more intense on defense. Him jogging down the court on D is ludicrous. We need: 20 & 10 for the rest of the year.

Grade B-Fields is what he is. Well rounded good at most things (except shooting) but masters nothing. I’d like to see him go stronger to the basket and not let up when he plays against the stars of the league…

Incomplete-Lin has been a godsend. He too seems to lose his focus when the intensity level increases. Cant grade him right now, although he needs to get those T O’s in check… We need: 14 & 7 assists the rest of the year

Grade A+-Jeffries. For what he is he’s doing much more than he’s capable. If that’s possible. Keep it up…

Grade B-Shumpert. Defensively I have no complaints. Lately he’s been going to the hole and finishing with authority. If he keeps this up and improves his jumper there is no reason he wont grade out an A+ at the end of the year…

Grade A-Novak is lacking lateral movement on defense, but he’s also been just what the doctor ordered offensively. If he continues to shoot this way I’ll overlook his defensive liabilities…

Grade C+-Walker hasn’t been shooting well this year, but he has been putting forth a solid effort…

Grade D-MDA. A team as talented as this should never start the season 8-15. Before the season most fans were voicing that we had the best front court in the league.

We need: MDA really needs to put systems, philosophies, and statisticians aside and coach to win games. It’s the smart thing to do

Imcompletes-Jorts, JR, BDiddy, Bibby, Jordan

Pretty much right on the money for the players. Maybe I'd make Novak an A+ since we expected little and he's given us the world once he got minutes. I'd make the same argument for Lin, but I get the reason for the incomplete. A "D" for STAT is rough, but considering a little more than a year ago he was an MVP candidate and now he tiptoes the line of irrelevance, it is an accurate grade.

As far as MDA, the guy said if he had a point guard who could work his system, we'd be good to go. We're 9 and 4 since getting that point guard. I'd be much more generous for the grade given that fact.

Thanks for the reply.

STAT I expect so much more from. He seems to be taking on all comers tonight.

MDA. Reminds me of Coach Klein in the Waterboy before he found his courage.

I agree with everything apart from the Melo rating. B- is way overrated. Maybe you're a Melo fan, but B- is about as true as David Stern beeing an honest man.

More like C- or D+ for Melo this season.

And Chandler and Jeffries should both get an A imo.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I agree with everything apart from the Melo rating. B- is way overrated. Maybe you're a Melo fan, but B- is about as true as David Stern beeing an honest man.

More like C- or D+ for Melo this season.

And Chandler and Jeffries should both get an A imo.

Carmelo - $18,518,574 - C-

It hasn't been a good year for the Knicks most talented player, and the very same player that was supposed to lead the charge to 3rd seed this year.

Often mentioned alongside the likes of Lebron James, Wade, Kobe and so on, Melo has proven to be a MAX salary player that can't produce at a clip near the magnitude of the aforementioned, who have individually taken their teams to playoff berths. THUS FAR! that is the case: MAX money, playing like a mere starter with less of an inclination defensively.

A talent the likes of Anthony can't be counted out yet, but if the production doesn't improve and the losses mount - or there's a first round playoff exit - Carmelo's legacy in NY will get off to a rough start, and I am certain that he doesn't have the testicular fortitude to dig his way out of a NY sized media hole.

Melo now has the player most believed he needed to get him where he needs to go in Lin. So far, mind you, that has proven to be incorrect. In Melo's defense, Mike has hardly adjusted the system to fit Carmelo's ball dominant offensive game. Not to dominate specifically, but to at least get a good scorer in his good spots. That was not the case in Dallas tonight, however, and Melo just played like he didn't want to be worth his huge contract.

Though not in every game of this season so far, it has shown that a ball dominant player that isn't scoring well hurts their team. To his absolute credit, since returning to the line up Melo has looked to move the ball. Once he can incorporate that with his offense, good things are bound to unfold. But his solo game is off, and the result is that the defense floods the paint when he shoots, 4 times out of 10 nullifying any likelihood of a second chance opportunity.

All in all, the mentality of a prepubescent packaged with impeccable basketball skills still has yet to show any merit, regardless of just how skilled that individual may be.

Forces his way here and gives us dick...........................unacceptable.[/SIZE]

iSaYughh

Starter
Chandler -- a very solid A. When he talks a bit game, he produces like a big game player. If only Amare was half-way similar...

Fields -- C+ to a B-...depends if you assume him to be a starter or not. I've mostly been disappointed by his shot, especially the ability to nail the open 3. The open looks I see him routinely get, and the way he bricks them, just isn't what you need out of a starting SG, especially on a team like ours.

Jeffries -- A, he is what he is, but he's accentuated all his positives, minimized his negatives, plays hard, plays team ball, and plays for the vet min.

Shumpert -- B+ to A-, already a defensive stalwart for our backcourt, the way Tyson is to our front court. Seems like a good guy, plays hard, and for a rookie has showed a strong head and heart.

Novak -- very solid A. Took a lot of shit (along with MDA and management) when he was signed. Has produced like a taller version of Kyle Korver.

Lin -- A+. Revitalized our season, in reality, he saved it and has given us a new lease on postseason play and potential glory. He wasn't even fit to be a D-leaguer for a team....a few weeks after signing with us, he's setting records and winning huge games. It would take a season long tank job and killing us in a playoff game to change his A-rating.

Amare -- D. Amatedor Defense, pathetic shooting rebounding and efficiency. Talks a lot. Poses a lot. 100M.

Melo -- D, but truthfully an F if you factor in things like the trade to their fullest extent. I don't even know where to begin. The anti-Jeffries, let's leave it at that.

D'antoni -- Incomplete. For reference, I'd have given him an A for last year.

iSaYughh

Starter
Crazy⑧s;215506 said:
Carmelo - $18,518,574 - C-

It hasn't been a good year for the Knicks most talented player, and the very same player that was supposed to lead the charge to 3rd seed this year.

Often mentioned alongside the likes of Lebron James, Wade, Kobe and so on, Melo has proven to be a MAX salary player that can't produce at a clip near the magnitude of the aforementioned, who have individually taken their teams to playoff berths. THUS FAR! that is the case: MAX money, playing like a mere starter with less of an inclination defensively.

A talent the likes of Anthony can't be counted out yet, but if the production doesn't improve and the losses mount - or there's a first round playoff exit - Carmelo's legacy in NY will get off to a rough start, and I am certain that he doesn't have the testicular fortitude to dig his way out of a NY sized media hole.

Melo now has the player most believed he needed to get him where he needs to go in Lin. So far, mind you, that has proven to be incorrect. In Melo's defense, Mike has hardly adjusted the system to fit Carmelo's ball dominant offensive game. Not to dominate specifically, but to at least get a good scorer in his good spots. That was not the case in Dallas tonight, however, and Melo just played like he didn't want to be worth his huge contract.

Though not in every game of this season so far, it has shown that a ball dominant player that isn't scoring well hurts their team. To his absolute credit, since returning to the line up Melo has looked to move the ball. Once he can incorporate that with his offense, good things are bound to unfold. But his solo game is off, and the result is that the defense floods the paint when he shoots, 4 times out of 10 nullifying any likelihood of a second chance opportunity.

All in all, the mentality of a prepubescent packaged with impeccable basketball skills still has yet to show any merit, regardless of just how skilled that individual may be.

Forces his way here and gives us dick...........................unacceptable.[/SIZE]

preview1.jpg

People ask why Lin passes more to Fields than Melo? Hah! Not that that's even true, but why does Melo get "freezed" out of possessions?

Because he understands (and executes) spacing and the team's offense about as awkwardly as watching a virgin make love to a hippopotamus.

And when you come to a team that has had a top NBA offense, had a surging offense, and is with a proven coach who has led NBA-leading offenses in the past, *you* as the professional either acclimate...or you don't, and you are a bitchass punk or simply not nearly as skilled as you like to think.

Let's not even get into what Melo did to allow this "dream" to become a reality, and have him here.

Gallinari > Carmelo Anthony. And this would be true for most teams/franchises in the league. The only way this isn't, is if Gallo keeps getting injured, or Melo transform himself (note: emphasis on himself). Sad. LJ4pt was more right than even my greatest nightmare's could have imagined.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
preview1.jpg

People ask why Lin passes more to Fields than Melo? Hah! Not that that's even true, but why does Melo get "freezed" out of possessions?

Because he understands (and executes) spacing and the team's offense about as awkwardly as watching a virgin make love to a hippopotamus.

:teeth::teeth::teeth:

And when you come to a team that has had a top NBA offense, had a surging offense, and is with a proven coach who has led NBA-leading offenses in the past, *you* as the professional either acclimate...or you don't, and you are a bitchass punk or simply not nearly as skilled as you like to think.

Let's not even get into what Melo did to allow this "dream" to become a reality, and have him here.

Gallinari > Carmelo Anthony. And this would be true for most teams/franchises in the league. The only way this isn't, is if Gallo keeps getting injured, or Melo transform himself (note: emphasis on himself). Sad. LJ4pt was more right than even my greatest nightmare's could have imagined.

Wasn't he indeed!

I was upset about the trade to begin with, thinking that it should hopefully come full circle with 2 superstars. DENIED! I feel like the virgin getting pronged by the hippopotamus :lol:!

I had written in another post that Melo doesn't get spacing.

I also wrote that Mike needs to give him some looks in his spots to keep the defense turning their heads as the ball moves. Mike did that against Dallas, and Melo stunk it up again. Why make concessions for vegetables? ****!

Does it really take in excess of 40 games for professionals to find their games?

Unbelievable.