Carmelo Anthony, the new Glenn Robinson.

metrocard

Legend
Paul Pierce had Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen to aide him to that championship.
If Melo was in his place he would have won that trophy too and then again the second when the Celtics couldnt.

KOBE SAID IT HIMSELF, YOU CANNOT GUARD CARMELO ANTHONY.

Pierce before KG and Ray was one of the most prolific scorers in the NBA. We're talking about a guy who's been a 25+ scorer for a good 7 years. We're not talking about championships. Paul Pierce's career > Melo. I'm talking about production and consistency.

and Kobe lied, because a lot of people guarded Carmelo, especially this season where he's the lowest in shooting percentage amongst elite scorers in the NBA. Even Westbrook shoots higher than Melo.

Pierce always been a better defender than Melo, they're both pretty equal in passing and rebounding.

metrocard

Legend
Metro, your a joke bro.

Great argument, pat yourself on the back there.

Why do you get mad if I'm not sucking Melo? Atleast be real and say you're just being a groupie if you have nothing insightful to add.

If you mancrush Melo, admit it. If not, shut the f*ck up. Don't get a fit if I won't agree with your sillyness.
You're right bro saying Melo is the new Glenn Robinson is a lot more logical then thinking he's better than anybody on that list

Glen Robinson and Carmelo have indentical stats, style of play, similar in size and athleticism.

Do your research.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Great argument, pat yourself on the back there.

Why do you get mad if I'm not sucking Melo? Atleast be real and say you're just being a groupie if you have nothing insightful to add.

If you mancrush Melo, admit it. If not, shut the f*ck up. Don't get a fit if I won't agree with your sillyness.

Glen Robinson and Carmelo have indentical stats, style of play, similar in size and athleticism.

Do your research.
Your so insightful proving people wrong with your facts on an online message board where this obviously indicates what happens in our lives.

I do apologize I've wasted my life praying and worshiping god when truly you are the real prophet.

I beg of your online forgiveness for I will not be able to sleep tonight and enjoy the rest of my life without it.

metrocard

Legend
Your so insightful proving people wrong with your facts on an online message board where this obviously indicates what happens in our lives.

I do apologize I've wasted my life praying and worshiping god when truly you are the real prophet.

I beg of your online forgiveness for I will not be able to sleep tonight and enjoy the rest of my life without it.

I am pretty insightful, thanks.

metrocard

Legend
78542hgf.gif

Rob Low

Rotation player
This isn't exactly breaking news, but Carmelo Anthony is pretty clutch.

Anyone who saw the Knicks overtime win against Chicago on Sunday afternoon can tell you that. Anthony hit a game-tying three-pointer with 11 seconds to go in regulation and a game-winning 3-pointer with 8 seconds left in overtime to beat the Bulls.

It was Anthony's signature moment as a Knick; he ranked the shots as one of the top moments in a career full of clutch buckets.

And he's had more than his fair share.

Among players that have taken at least 20 field goal attempts in game-tying or game-winning situations in the last 15 seconds of the 4th quarter or overtime in the past 10 years, Anthony ranks first in field-goal percentage (46.2), according to the Elias Sports Bureau. He has made 24 of 52.

His 24 field goals are second to Kobe Bryant's 26. But Bryant is shooting 30.2 percent in 'clutch' situations (26-86).

Need more evidence that Anthony is clutch?

He's shooting 46.7 percent on game-tying or go-ahead shots in the final 24 seconds of regulation or overtime. The only player with a higher career shooting percentage in such situations over the past 16 seasons? Shawn Marion, who has shot 47.4 percent in crunch time.

Anthony's game-winning three-pointer was somewhat of a rarity. It was the second time he's won a game with a three-pointer in the final 30 seconds of a game but just the fourth time he's done so in his eight-year career. So most of his clutch shots have come inside the arc.

Also, Anthony is the fifth player in the last five seasons to make a game-tying shot in the last 15 seconds of regulation and a game-winner in the last 15 seconds of OT. Dirk Nowitzki last did it in 2009.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/16302/carmelo-clutch

Real Robinson like

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
He's clutch, shout out to him for that.

So was Jamal Crawford.

Melo isn't top 15 though, don't even think about top 5. |

Needs to increase his shooting accuracy, rebound and pass a little more and play more solid defense.

He's CLOSE to top 15 but he's been slacking.

Metro I usually agree with many of the things you say but this is outrageous. Not top 15? If the Knicks put Melo on the trading block, you'd see thirty teams give a call to see whats up.

metrocard

Legend
Metro I usually agree with many of the things you say but this is outrageous. Not top 15? If the Knicks put Melo on the trading block, you'd see thirty teams give a call to see whats up.

If you don't look at defense, then Melo is a top 15 player.

If you do, then he isn't. Alot of two way players in the league who rank up ahead of Carmelo.

New New York

Quiet Storm
This is like comparing Brandon Jennings to Rondo

Or Jamal Crawford to Sprewell

Or Curry to Shaq

Sure they play the same postion and statisitically they are similar (Melo's career numbers are better though) and athletically they are similar (although Melo is more athletic)

Melo is more vesitile in being able to play both SF and PF, Glen Robinson would go no where near the block, he and Vin Baker made up the softest frontcourt in league history (Chris Weber actually said as much!!!).

Glen Robinson was a secondary player like Jamison, John Salmons or Rip Hamilton....Melo is a bonafied game changer

Glen Robinson got asked not to go to the Olympics after being selected when we coasted to gold medals with every group we through out there, Melo was one of the most valuable players on the 2008 team

The most accurate comparison to Melo is Bernard King!

Al Harrington is a player who you could compare Glen Robinson to!!!

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Don't argue with Metro he's a Melo hater he won't even accept that Kobe, Bruce Browen, Lebron, and a few other ppl say Melo's the hardest or one of the hardest players to guard in the league.

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
What a wank fest the last few pages have been. There's a reason why so few peple sty posting on this forum for extended periods of time.

Purely offensively, Melo is a top 5 player. Other than Kobe, maybe Wade you want the ball in his hands.

Watch Melo lead this team into the seventh seed.

skisloper

Starter
What a wank fest the last few pages have been. There's a reason why so few peple sty posting on this forum for extended periods of time.

Purely offensively, Melo is a top 5 player. Other than Kobe, maybe Wade you want the ball in his hands.

Watch Melo lead this team into the seventh seed.

someone should tell Woodson that....I think he gets confused between Melo and JR

metrocard

Legend
I envision you stroking Melo's Dick within 3 years

mike-headshake.gif

In 3 years, Melo will be washed up, gained 10-15 pounds and be the Eddy Curry of SF's.

Quote that.

This is like comparing Brandon Jennings to Rondo

Or Jamal Crawford to Sprewell

Or Curry to Shaq

Sure they play the same postion and statisitically they are similar (Melo's career numbers are better though) and athletically they are similar (although Melo is more athletic)

Melo is more vesitile in being able to play both SF and PF, Glen Robinson would go no where near the block, he and Vin Baker made up the softest frontcourt in league history (Chris Weber actually said as much!!!).

Glen Robinson was a secondary player like Jamison, John Salmons or Rip Hamilton....Melo is a bonafied game changer

Glen Robinson got asked not to go to the Olympics after being selected when we coasted to gold medals with every group we through out there, Melo was one of the most valuable players on the 2008 team

The most accurate comparison to Melo is Bernard King!

Al Harrington is a player who you could compare Glen Robinson to!!!

Carmelo wouldn't make the olympic team in Glen Robinson's era.

A prime Grant Hill, A prime Sprewell, prime Pippen, prime Vince Carter, even later on when T'Mac blew up and Kobe entered the league, all the elite PF's in the 90's...(Melo plays PF in the Olympics).

Thats a good point you made, Melo does average 3 more FT attempts than Glen Robinson, but Glen still got to the FT line 4-5 times a game, and Melo's defense always been very pillow soft, so to toss the soft label to Robinson is a very fitting comparison for Melo. They're both soft defense SF/PF hybrids who shoot a similar percentage only difference is that Melo gets more FT attempts.

King isn't a terrible comparison either, if you don't overrate King. King in his era wasn't the best SF because Larry Bird, Dominique Wilkins, and Alex English existed. King has his weaknesses on defense and wasn't the best athlete like Melo. King did have superior shot selection over Melo and shot over 50%...the 41% shooting Carmelo obviously can't compare to that.

But King may be too high of a comparison because pretty much King dragged the Knicks into the playoffs despite having little talent around him. He finished 2nd in the voting for NBA MVP in 84' when he averaged 26 ppg. Melo has never done that and isn't the best player on this roster currently. If you gave Benard King a guy like Tyson Chandler, Knicks would of won a championship before Ewing arrived...especially in the ERA where the defense was god awful.

But interesting topic none the less, NNY.

Don't argue with Metro he's a Melo hater he won't even accept that Kobe, Bruce Browen, Lebron, and a few other ppl say Melo's the hardest or one of the hardest players to guard in the league.

I'll accept it, but see this what separates children from adults. When you learn how to think for yourself and form your own opinion without others thinking for you, then you can be welcomed to adulthood. Till then you may very well be as naive as those people who spam the Kony 2012 video. Very mindless. You got a brain, use it.

fender0577

Rotation player
mike-headshake.gif

In 3 years, Melo will be washed up, gained 10-15 pounds and be the Eddy Curry of SF's.

Quote that.

Carmelo wouldn't make the olympic team in Glen Robinson's era.

A prime Grant Hill, A prime Sprewell, prime Pippen, prime Vince Carter, even later on when T'Mac blew up and Kobe entered the league, all the elite PF's in the 90's...(Melo plays PF in the Olympics).

Thats a good point you made, Melo does average 3 more FT attempts than Glen Robinson, but Glen still got to the FT line 4-5 times a game, and Melo's defense always been very pillow soft, so to toss the soft label to Robinson is a very fitting comparison for Melo. They're both soft defense SF/PF hybrids who shoot a similar percentage only difference is that Melo gets more FT attempts.

King isn't a terrible comparison either, if you don't overrate King. King in his era wasn't the best SF because Larry Bird, Dominique Wilkins, and Alex English existed. King has his weaknesses on defense and wasn't the best athlete like Melo. King did have superior shot selection over Melo and shot over 50%...the 41% shooting Carmelo obviously can't compare to that.

But King may be too high of a comparison because pretty much King dragged the Knicks into the playoffs despite having little talent around him. He finished 2nd in the voting for NBA MVP in 84' when he averaged 26 ppg. Melo has never done that and isn't the best player on this roster currently. If you gave Benard King a guy like Tyson Chandler, Knicks would of won a championship before Ewing arrived...especially in the ERA where the defense was god awful.

But interesting topic none the less, NNY.

I'll accept it, but see this what separates children from adults. When you learn how to think for yourself and form your own opinion without others thinking for you, then you can be welcomed to adulthood. Till then you may very well be as naive as those people who spam the Kony 2012 video. Very mindless. You got a brain, use it.
Metro, even you, have to admit...he's killing cats, these days.

p0nder

Starter
MELO 2012 > KONY 2012

Melo will be a beast from here on out. Metro is sticking to his guns but will be happy to eat crow when Melo beasts for us in the playoffs. Melo is more like James Worthy (post moves, big game player) then Glen Robinson and I think we are witnessing the breakout year Melo has been capable of all along.

metrocard

Legend
By the way, I am not at all arguing over Melo's ability to score the ball. Thats given.

The problem that holds him back is his overall game.

Scoring - A
Rebounding - B
Passing - C
Shooting - B-
Shot selection - D
Post Offense - A
Athleticism - C+
Man to Man Defense - D
Help Defense - D
Post Defense - D
Making teammates better - F

“Carmelo Anthony is a one-dimensional player,” says Charles Barkley on TNT.

Melo's 6'8” and gets blocked more than any other player in the NBA.

So lets examine this folks.

Melo does have alot of offensive moves, as much as Kobe and Durant. That is true. I'm sure we all can accept that, especially the Melosexuals.

Now lets considered how much Melo gets blocked. Isn't the whole point of scoring is to make the shot, and not miss? Just like in boxing its to hit and not get hit. Melo getting blocked all the time would be similar to Antonio Margarito getting punched in the face all the time because he doesn't know how to evade punches. Do people call Antonio Margarito a good boxer? Not at all, despite his arsenal of punches. Boxing fans are a little more wiser than basketball fans, but Melo getting blocked as often he does it comes to a reality that his offense is overrated.

Melo is a good scorer for himself, but not for his team. A player who gets blocked alot and isn't a good 3pt shooter shouldn't be taking shots that hurt his team.

Does that make sense now?

Melo should work on take better shots and avoiding low percentage shots or shots that are easy to block...like a boxer should avoid taking power shots to the head and body. Its common sports knowledge.

Here are my resources

http://www.82games.com/random3.htm

http://www.hoopdata.com/scoringstats.aspx?team=%&type=tot&posi=%&yr=2012&gp=0&mins=20

http://www.hoopdata.com/scoringstats.aspx?team=%&type=tot&posi=%&yr=2011&gp=0&mins=20

Kobe only has a get blocked % of 4.3 where as Melo is close to 9.
Kevin Durant's is 2.7

This is why you can't compare Melo with Durant, Kobe, LeBron or even Wade.

Those guards are much HARDER to guard.

If Melo was a hard cover, he wouldn't get so blocked easily. Check the performance and statistics.