Carmelo Anthony, the new Glenn Robinson.

metrocard

Legend
I'm a very complex sports fan, if you want to discuss a topic with me, I will go ass deep in the topic til' infinity.

Lets party it up in this thread...if you're a Melosexual...please provide some cool research because thats all this thread should be...interesting reads and research.

If you're going to post some nonsense garbage about how I'm a hater or Melo is amazing, then just go away. People like that never add to the forum and are too emotional. I've seen these types since the Howard Eisley days on this forum. Lets be beyond that, I'm sure we're all old enough to do that, can we please?

Thanks.

TakMan

Rotation player
By the way, I am not at all arguing over Melo's ability to score the ball. Thats given.

The problem that holds him back is his overall game.

Scoring - A
Rebounding - B
Passing - C
Shooting - B-
Shot selection - D
Post Offense - A
Athleticism - C+
Man to Man Defense - D
Help Defense - D
Post Defense - D
Making teammates better - F

“Carmelo Anthony is a one-dimensional player,” says Charles Barkley on TNT.

Melo's 6'8” and gets blocked more than any other player in the NBA.

So lets examine this folks.

Melo does have alot of offensive moves, as much as Kobe and Durant. That is true. I'm sure we all can accept that, especially the Melosexuals.

Now lets considered how much Melo gets blocked. Isn't the whole point of scoring is to make the shot, and not miss? Just like in boxing its to hit and not get hit. Melo getting blocked all the time would be similar to Antonio Margarito getting punched in the face all the time because he doesn't know how to evade punches. Do people call Antonio Margarito a good boxer? Not at all, despite his arsenal of punches. Boxing fans are a little more wiser than basketball fans, but Melo getting blocked as often he does it comes to a reality that his offense is overrated.

Melo is a good scorer for himself, but not for his team. A player who gets blocked alot and isn't a good 3pt shooter shouldn't be taking shots that hurt his team.

Does that make sense now?

Melo should work on take better shots and avoiding low percentage shots or shots that are easy to block...like a boxer should avoid taking power shots to the head and body. Its common sports knowledge.

Here are my resources

http://www.82games.com/random3.htm

http://www.hoopdata.com/scoringstats.aspx?team=%25&type=tot&posi=%25&yr=2012&gp=0&mins=20

http://www.hoopdata.com/scoringstats.aspx?team=%&type=tot&posi=%&yr=2011&gp=0&mins=20

Kobe only has a get blocked % of 4.3 where as Melo is close to 9.
Kevin Durant's is 2.7

This is why you can't compare Melo with Durant, Kobe, LeBron or even Wade.

Those guards are much HARDER to guard.

If Melo was a hard cover, he wouldn't get so blocked easily. Check the performance and statistics.

I can't agree with this. You've given a 45% career FG shooter and possibly the most clutch player in the NBA a D in shot selection? I don't think you're giving him enough credit. Even during his shooting slump he was trying to, and succesfully improved other aspects of his game such as defence, and including others. He was happy to take fewer shots and involved players such as Stoudamire and Chandler more, often handing them over an easy basket. Is he top five? I think it's borderline. Even if he's not, he's definitely near enough. He's carried this team in Lin and Stoudamire's absence, and is stepping up just in time for the final playoff push. I think you're being harsh on him. I dislike hype more than most but I don't think there's one team in the NBA that would not have him on their roster.

fender0577

Rotation player
I can't agree with this. You've given a 45% career FG shooter and possibly the most clutch player in the NBA a D in shot selection? I don't think you're giving him enough credit. Even during his shooting slump he was trying to, and succesfully improved other aspects of his game such as defence, and including others. He was happy to take fewer shots and involved players such as Stoudamire and Chandler more, often handing them over an easy basket. Is he top five? I think it's borderline. Even if he's not, he's definitely near enough. He's carried this team in Lin and Stoudamire's absence, and is stepping up just in time for the final playoff push. I think you're being harsh on him. I dislike hype more than most but I don't think there's one team in the NBA that would not have him on their roster.
Yeah, he's reaching now, to even go look for these stupid stats, to try to sh*t on MELO, is starting to look like he's upset that MELO is proving him wrong.

metrocard

Legend
Well Tak, this season Carmelo has an Efficiency FG % of 44.7.

Let me break it down for you

16-23 Feet Melo is shooting 33% 1.8 M / 5.3 A
10-15 Feet Melo is shooting 40% 0.9 M / 2.2 A
3-9 Feet Melo is shooting 26% 0.3 M / 1.3 A

http://hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Carmelo Anthony

Add that to the fact Melo gets blocked very easily...you have to ask, why would a player take so many attempts from a low percentage area?

Melo isn't a 5"9 PG either. He's 6"8 and 230 lbs, he's a big SF.

Melo always has had horrible shot selection just mainly based on his isolation style he forces himself to take tough shots HE DOESNT NEED TO.

As a fan, thats frustrating. Carmelo brings difficulty to game. Its entertaining 30-39% of the time when its successful. But 61-70% of makes you cringe when you watch Melo in action.

Do you understand better now?

metrocard

Legend
Yeah, he's reaching now, to even go look for these stupid stats, to try to sh*t on MELO, is starting to look like he's upset that MELO is proving him wrong.

stupid stats...you sound really mature there, won't you give more insightful feedback on how you feel about statistics without looking upset or limited in knowledge?

TakMan

Rotation player

I don't mind differences in opinions. Metrocard (I haven't been here long enough to know what he's about) seems to like shaking things up a bit which is fine with me as it makes people think more about views that they took as given truths in the past. That's a good thing. I just think that to conduct a rational debate, some balance needs to be achieved. In this instance, Metrocard has made a bit of an extreme case, and is not (openly) accepting arguments from a different perspective.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
Metrocard, it is clear to me and everybody else on this forum who is not a Melo hater, that you are a Melo hater. Thats why your opinion about him is not objective.
Let me ask you a question. When the game is on the line, who do you want to take the shot? Koby(not in his prime), Wade, Durant or Melo?

fender0577

Rotation player
stupid stats...you sound really mature there, won't you give more insightful feedback on how you feel about statistics without looking upset or limited in knowledge?
Dude, i look upset?Did you really just post, who gets blocked the most, to try to sh*t on a player from your own team?Yeah...i'm the upset one.

TakMan

Rotation player
Well Tak, this season Carmelo has an Efficiency FG % of 44.7.

Let me break it down for you

16-23 Feet Melo is shooting 33% 1.8 M / 5.3 A
10-15 Feet Melo is shooting 40% 0.9 M / 2.2 A
3-9 Feet Melo is shooting 26% 0.3 M / 1.3 A

http://hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Carmelo Anthony

Add that to the fact Melo gets blocked very easily...you have to ask, why would a player take so many attempts from a low percentage area?

Melo isn't a 5"9 PG either. He's 6"8 and 230 lbs, he's a big SF.

Melo always has had horrible shot selection just mainly based on his isolation style he forces himself to take tough shots HE DOESNT NEED TO.

As a fan, thats frustrating. Carmelo brings difficulty to game. Its entertaining 30-39% of the time when its successful. But 61-70% of makes you cringe when you watch Melo in action.

Do you understand better now?

I've got to go for the simpler interpretation. 45.6% of Anthony's attempts throughout his career end up in the basket. That's near enough one in every two. He's a weapon that, if used correctly, will inflict serious damage on any opposition. Going as far as the conferecne finals - particularly in the Western conference- is no easy task. This man has the potential to carry a team to glory, and to destroy that same team's offensive flow when he's not performing (we've seen too much of that this season). I have recently been disgusted at the ISO orientated offence that has been implemented over the past 5 or so games. It's not pretty particularly when one considers the depth this team has. Since Lin and Stoudamire's injuries, Woodson has made Anthony the centrepoint of our offence by a mile. It's not pretty, but Anthony has thrived under it. We've played and beat some pretty impressive teams. A returning Lin and Stoudamire can only make this team more dangerous (though I insist that it will take time to find the right formula and develop chemistry).

As for the amount of blocks Anthony concedes; Compared to Durant and Bryant, he drives on defenders far more. Consider Durant and (nowadays) Kobe's shot selection. It's predominantly mid-range and further. That's not going to get you blocked as much as driving to the basket will. Furthermore, Anthony's defence has (in my opinion) been superior to Bryant and Durant's, which basically means he will be more fatigued when attacking the basket. He's got those lapses, but overall I've been incredibly happy with his recent overall performances.

TakMan

Rotation player
Dude, i look upset?Did you really just post, who gets blocked the most, to try to sh*t on a player from your own team?Yeah...i'm the upset one.

To be fair it does make a case for bad shot selections and over-indulging on offence. Though in Anthony's case, I believe there are far more stats in his favour.

fender0577

Rotation player
I've got to go for the simpler interpretation. 45.6% of Anthony's attempts throughout his career end up in the basket. That's near enough one in every two. He's a weapon that, if used correctly, will inflict serious damage on any opposition. Going as far as the conferecne finals - particularly in the Western conference- is no easy task. This man has the potential to carry a team to glory, and to destroy that same team's offensive flow when he's not performing (we've seen too much of that this season). I have recently been disgusted at the ISO orientated offence that has been implemented over the past 5 or so games. It's not pretty particularly when one considers the depth this team has. Since Lin and Stoudamire's injuries, Woodson has made Anthony the centrepoint of our offence by a mile. It's not pretty, but Anthony has thrived under it. We've played and beat some pretty impressive teams. A returning Lin and Stoudamire can only make this team more dangerous (though I insist that it will take time to find the right formula and develop chemistry).

As for the amount of blocks Anthony concedes; Compared to Durant and Bryant, he drives on defenders far more. Consider Durant and (nowadays) Kobe's shot selection. It's predominantly mid-range and further. That's not going to get you blocked as much as driving to the basket will. Furthermore, Anthony's defence has (in my opinion) been superior to Bryant and Durant's, which basically means he will be more fatigued when attacking the basket. He's got those lapses, but overall I've been incredibly happy with his recent overall performances.
Thank you, that's why i called those stats stupid, the guy stays attacking the hoop, and he's not a leaper, but dude(metro) didn't want to hear it, so i guess i have "limited knowledge", SMH.I guess people can watch the same game, and see completely different things.

fender0577

Rotation player
To be fair it does make a case for bad shot selections and over-indulging on offence. Though in Anthony's case, I believe there are far more stats in his favour.
I don't it makes a case for bad shot selection at all, that's what you want from your wing fowards, shots at the rim, if you look at that list, he took nearly 100 more shots at the rim then the next guy, and was only blocked 18 more times.The only thing that list told me is that he's not getting foul calls, and he can't jump over people, but how is attacking the rim a bad thing?

p0nder

Starter
"Carmelo Anthony gets his shot blocked about as much as anyone at close range. Of course that's not exactly a sharp criticism, as being able to get a shot off from close in is a big positive since they come with significantly higher average FG% then the "settled for" jumper from outside" - From your own link.

Meaning that Melo's shot selection is better then you give him credit as he tries to attack the basket, meaning he gets high % looks while also getting to the FT line where he is great (80%).

Carmelo creates offensive opportunities for his team mates by being a threat. He also has been increasing his passing game and court vision while contributing to the defensive end of the floor for the first time in his career. He is choosing to pass out of ISO and make a play more often then try to take his man off the dribble.

Checking out his last 10 games (finally back to form since injury) you are seeing the Melo we expect. 46.6% FG% 31.4% 3PT% and taking it to the hole and finishing with an eFG% of 61.9% at the rim which account for the majority of his shot selection.

If you break it down over the last 3 games in April he's MVP worthy. 50% FG, 46.7 from 3pt range and adding 8 rebounds a game + 33.7 PPG. 70% eFG!!!

The guy is just now getting into rhythm and game form since injuries to his wrist, shoulder, ankle and groin. Not to mention he is NYK to death, increasing his defensive effort to close out games, Hitting clutch shots, giving everything he has to bring this team into the playoffs with two starters out injured. The guy is fantastic and embraces the fans and criticisims, being the accountable player, telling D'antoni to play Lin, GETTING D'ANTONI FIRED!!! Shit for that alone he should be MVP of this knicks season!

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
"Carmelo Anthony gets his shot blocked about as much as anyone at close range. Of course that's not exactly a sharp criticism, as being able to get a shot off from close in is a big positive since they come with significantly higher average FG% then the "settled for" jumper from outside" - From your own link.

Meaning that Melo's shot selection is better then you give him credit as he tries to attack the basket, meaning he gets high % looks while also getting to the FT line where he is great (80%).

Carmelo creates offensive opportunities for his team mates by being a threat. He also has been increasing his passing game and court vision while contributing to the defensive end of the floor for the first time in his career. He is choosing to pass out of ISO and make a play more often then try to take his man off the dribble.

Checking out his last 10 games (finally back to form since injury) you are seeing the Melo we expect. 46.6% FG% 31.4% 3PT% and taking it to the hole and finishing with an eFG% of 61.9% at the rim which account for the majority of his shot selection.

If you break it down over the last 3 games in April he's MVP worthy. 50% FG, 46.7 from 3pt range and adding 8 rebounds a game + 33.7 PPG. 70% eFG!!!

The guy is just now getting into rhythm and game form since injuries to his wrist, shoulder, ankle and groin. Not to mention he is NYK to death, increasing his defensive effort to close out games, Hitting clutch shots, giving everything he has to bring this team into the playoffs with two starters out injured. The guy is fantastic and embraces the fans and criticisims, being the accountable player, telling D'antoni to play Lin, GETTING D'ANTONI FIRED!!! Shit for that alone he should be MVP of this knicks season!
Great post. pOnder, i am a long time knick fan but new to this forum. Just want to say you are one of the most knowledgeable fans on this forum :thumbsup:

Rob Low

Rotation player

He also convinced JR to sign

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
I'll accept it, but see this what separates children from adults. When you learn how to think for yourself and form your own opinion without others thinking for you, then you can be welcomed to adulthood. Till then you may very well be as naive as those people who spam the Kony 2012 video. Very mindless. You got a brain, use it.

Lmao who is this guy me brainless and following the crowd when I was one of the few ppl on here saying give Melo and Amare and chance when most Knicks fans wanted them out with their horrible play, I was one of the few ppl that said I didn't have faith in Lin in the playoffs while everyone including you were still on his dick. In the thread about who do the Knicks need to come back the most, Lin is leading the votes I'm one of the minority of ppl saying no Amare is more important. So get your facts straight just because I agree with ppl about how great Melo is does not mean I don't have a mind of my it means I'm not being clouded by hate like you. Your like deranged and in your own world when it comes to Melo thats not the same as having your own opinion when your just making shit up not to mention you just admitted you don't like the guy so anything you say about his should not be taken serious at all.

You were probably tight when you Melo lighting up the Bulls I bet those two game winners pissed you off, you'd probably rather have seen the Knicks lose with Melo shooting a low percentage so you could have some ammunition for your hate.

Just give it up everything you say about Melo is wrong he's recognized at least on the offensive end as one of the top 5 players in this league by players, coaches, and basketball analyst just stop it's not a good look especially since he's the leader of your favorite team it's weird.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
I don't mind differences in opinions. Metrocard (I haven't been here long enough to know what he's about) seems to like shaking things up a bit which is fine with me as it makes people think more about views that they took as given truths in the past. That's a good thing. I just think that to conduct a rational debate, some balance needs to be achieved. In this instance, Metrocard has made a bit of an extreme case, and is not (openly) accepting arguments from a different perspective.

I've accepted NNY point about Melo unstoppable ability to get to the free throw line.

When a strong point is made, I openly accept it.
When it isn't, I can't.

Just keep it simple.

Metrocard, it is clear to me and everybody else on this forum who is not a Melo hater, that you are a Melo hater. Thats why your opinion about him is not objective.
Let me ask you a question. When the game is on the line, who do you want to take the shot? Koby(not in his prime), Wade, Durant or Melo?

I am happy to say I have never liked Melo. He has a soft body, fake Puerto Rican, scumbag attitude. I can't really hate Melo though. He's a Knick and our best offensive weapon, without a doubt. I hate Isiah, thats a more genuine hate. Isiah destroyed the franchise under Dolan...so that hate is quite reasonable. I can't hate Melo YET.

I can end up hating Melo if he doesn't play more consistently and efficiency on both ends of the court, because we gave up a lot of value to acquire him. Would be a sad thing as a Knicks fan to see it go to a waste.

Forget about when the game is on the line, I'm going to get the player who will make my team more successful. Durant, Wade, and Kobe right now are all vastly superior to Melo and they get their teams more wins.

You can't have the game on the line if you're not competitive with the elite teams. Melo is definitely clutch, but give the guy who will be clutch through the entire game instead of the last minute (if we're even in the game).

Hey Fender,
I love the Knicks.
I just keep it real and like to think critically.
Can I live?

Melo's recent performances have been money well spent, no doubt about it. Great balance on his jumpshots, he's playing in rhythm and he's in sync with himself.

See, you got to show me where Melo's defense has been "superior", because superior is a very strong word, its like saying Bruce Bowen is a superior defender to Allan Houston, which is obviously true. You've got to sit me down and give me the education on how Melo all of a sudden became a superior defender to Kobe and Durant. I really don't see it.

I understand Kobe may not be in his prime, but you have to understand Kobe has been one of the most elite defenders at SG we've seen in our ERA. A declining Kobe's defense will even be vastly superior to a prime Melo. I've watch A LOT of Knicks game this season and theres so many moments where Melo looks like he doesn't take defense seriously and has very little interest in stopping the ball.

Kobe has been the ultimate chucking troll this season, not doubt. He leads the NBA in 15-23 FT Jumpshots attempted in 7.8 Per game. The 2nd guy behind him is Ellis with 6.4.

Melo is also ranked in the top 10 of FGA in 15-23

at 3-9 FT Kobe is 1.3/3.0 (42%)
at 3-9FT Melo is 0.3/1.3 (26%)

10-15 FT Kobe is even better.

Melo does at has more attempts at the rim, but Kobe has a higher shooting percentage at the rim at 66% where Melo is 60%

Your argument is quite flawed because Melo's shot selection is still in question and the guys you mention aren't as jump shot oriented as you think.

Did you know Melo takes more 15-23 FT Jumpshots than Kevin Durant? Durant is at 4 shooting 49%, Melo is over 5 shooting 33%.

At Rim shots, Melo and Durant both equal out on shot attempts, except Durant shoots 72% at the rim and Melo is at 60%. Even Russell Westbrook is shooting higher at Rim than Melo and is taking 6.3 FGA attempts from that range, 1.1 more than Carmelo.

All these guys listed are DYNAMIC scorers. No doubt. They can score from anywhere. Melo just happens to be less efficient and accurate from certain ranges which creates weaknesses in his game, not particular strengths. Once Melo gathers himself and improves at his shooting accuracy beyond the rim (Which in the past of his career he's proven to do but not at an elite rate) then this would be a fair discussion.

Melo isn't in Durant's or Kobe's class.

Lmao who is this guy me brainless and following the crowd when I was one of the few ppl on here saying give Melo and Amare and chance when most Knicks fans wanted them out with their horrible play, I was one of the few ppl that said I didn't have faith in Lin in the playoffs while everyone including you were still on his dick. In the thread about who do the Knicks need to come back the most, Lin is leading the votes I'm one of the minority of ppl saying no Amare is more important. So get your facts straight just because I agree with ppl about how great Melo is does not mean I don't have a mind of my it means I'm not being clouded by hate like you. Your like deranged and in your own world when it comes to Melo thats not the same as having your own opinion when your just making shit up not to mention you just admitted you don't like the guy so anything you say about his should not be taken serious at all.

You were probably tight when you Melo lighting up the Bulls I bet those two game winners pissed you off, you'd probably rather have seen the Knicks lose with Melo shooting a low percentage so you could have some ammunition for your hate.

Just give it up everything you say about Melo is wrong he's recognized at least on the offensive end as one of the top 5 players in this league by players, coaches, and basketball analyst just stop it's not a good look especially since he's the leader of your favorite team it's weird.

You sound really mad and plain ol' crazy. Relax kid.

No one really cares if you were own of the few people, you're also one of the few Laker fans in a Knicks forum. People like you would get beat up on my block for coming around with those soft purple and piss yellow colors. Its orange and blue from where I'm at.

As for having a mind of your own, you still haven't proven it even with your dramatic poorly thought out paragraph.

Prove to me how I'm making up anything when I'm clearly providing information and statistics from this season to prove my points? You seem to let your anger and inferiority complex get the best of you.

I'm providing facts and fair arguments...you seem to be more focused on something else. Get your mind straight and recognized this is a bball discussion, not a place for you to act like a little biatch.

I was cheering for Melo and the Knicks with my uncle actually, when they beat the Bulls and when they lost @ Chi-town. We also curse out the TV in anger when Knicks aren't doing good...samething goes for when we attend the games. Just because I present information on Carmelo's shooting woes doesn't mean I want him to do worse. I have no ties to my arguments.

Congratulations though, you seem like a really low-IQ guy and who gets easily emotional. Nothing in your post stated really relates to the topic. Its a waste of texting...stop posting or learn how to post without expressing your emotions. If you're a girl, then its understandable.

As for Melo being the leader, thats what a mainstream simple minded basketball fan would think. Tyson Chandler is the man in New York, he has a championship ring and on and off the court he's simply be the most consistent and effective player we've had.

Theres been a lot of games that Melo's "leadership" has cost us, almost equal to the amount of games that Chandler's leadership has saved us.

metrocard

Legend
p0nder, first paragraph is false. Melo takes more jumpshots than close range shots. Check the website again and reread your research.

second paragraph, still linked to the false point you made up.
Great? Strong word, make a fair argument, not an extreme one. Great is more 85-90% FT. 80% is more good than great.

3 Games is a small sample size, very small.

Last year the Nuggets were unable to trade Carmelo for the likes of Joakim Noah and Brook Lopez. When it comes down to W-L, teams value bigs who protect the paint more than flashy, volume-shooting wing scorers. Simple minded fans love the flash style making difficult shots in exchange for a lot of missed FGA. Its the reason why Tony Parker > Allen Iverson. Shaq was the obvious primary scoring option for LAL over Kobe and why Kobe couldn't win a championship without big men.

p0nder, look at us. Really ask yourself...what the Knicks right now would be without Tyson Chandler?

I'll give you Melosexuals a cool stat though.

In game winning shots, Carmelo is shooting 50%
Where Durant is below 40% so is Kobe and LeBron.

Hedo Turkoglu also is shooting 50% for game winning shots, so there you go.

TakMan

Rotation player
I think it's time to lock this thread and put it down to a bad judgement call. In time, no-one will remember it ever existed.

One last thing before we put this to rest. Durant has such a high % inside the paint due to predominantly taking those shots on the break (i.e unguarded) You'll rarely see Durant take on a player in the paint.