Ariza on the rise

youadmireme2

Benchwarmer
"A few players

looked good in the scrimmage -- Crawford made several behind-the-back and between-the-legs dribbles -- but none was more impressive than second-round pick Trevor Ariza, who had several nice plays, including a few dunks on the break.

"I don't know what teams were thinking when they passed up on that kid," Marbury said of Ariza, who played one season at UCLA and was picked 43rd overall by the Knicks. "I don't think teams look at basketball players anymore -- they look at athletes. That kid knows how to play the game. He doesn't make too many mistakes."

"

Trin_Starr

Starter
Ariza has game, and he is in the right place to blow up, good ole' NYC!
And with Steph and Jamal feeding this guy passes, he'll be putting on an acrobatic display at MSG!!!!

In one of the articles, Anderson even admitted that Ariza was playing so nice, that he said that he hopes the knicks buyout his contract cause he knows he won't be getting any playing time anytime soon

newmove

Rotation player
No way! Ansderson did say something like that? Wow, if he did then maybe he ain't such a cancer(aghm) bad person as we all thought...

Trin_Starr

Starter
yea man, here's what he said:

Notes & quotes: If veteran swingman Shandon Anderson had any chance for playing time after clashing with Isiah Thomas, he knows Ariza's emergence ended it. Anderson called Ariza a "great fit." At the same time, he hopes the Knicks will buy out his contract. "I'm not going to be able to play here," said Anderson, who has been on the third team. "I definitely want to get somewhere where I can play some basketball."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baske...,0,3758658.story?coll=ny-basketball-headlines

Trin_Starr

Starter
I hope Lenny will give him (Ariza) some good Playing Time on the 14th against the Nets
The game will be on YES network at 7pm

newmove

Rotation player
I would've never known... Shandon's quite a nice person, ha? Yeah, buying out his contract is the best possible solution for the problem that we've encountered with him. I wish him good luck and all best with his team but it's definitely not NYK...

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
I think Shandon Anderson is a bum on the court, but I actually felt sorry for him after reading those articles. Dude doesn't seem like a bad person, just in a bad situation since HE CAN'T MAKE A SHOT IF HIS LIFE DEPENDED ON IT.

newmove

Rotation player
Yeah, I agree. He'll better find some other team more appropriate for his gamestyle, cuz he can't stand the pressure of the style provided by the Knicks. It's a whole different thing here, you can't just hope for a lucky opening shot, you have to work on, to create moments for yaself and your teammates plus play a hard D so you could stick on. Shandon isn't able to do that that's why he's got cut. Maybe utah will fit better :mrgreen:

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
As for Ariza, I hope this kid shines in preseason cause then Lenny will have to give him some minutes. Plus I wouldn't mind seeing some dunks, which I haven't seen from the Knicks for a long time. The article did say that his shot is not that great though, but atleast he can attack the basket and play hard defense which is a major plus.

newmove

Rotation player
Absolutely. And if Ariza can do both dunking and defense, then hell we've got our sixth or seventh decent man down here.

xceTurner

Rookie
I saw Ariza play against the Lakers at Long Beach over the summer. I was so impressed by how athletic this cat was. I remember him cutting of a passing lane (I think it was just above the free throw lane) and deflecting a pass towards the baseline. He then chased down the ball and saved it from going out of bounds by dribbling it behind his back while keeping his balance to avoid going out of bounce . He then proceeded to dribble down the court and took-off just inside the free throw lane for a monster dunk. In addition to being a high flyer, this cat is also a very good passer. A few times he got the defensive rebound and started to dribble down the court. He was able to find the open player in transition as well as make the pass.

Also, what was interesting that nite was he also defended the Lakers' well regarded rookie point guard who was drafted from europe (I think his name is Sasha). He did a very good job staying in front of him and slowing him down. He made it tough for this point guard to shoot the his jumpers. This is attributable to his long arms and good footwork. I get the sense that this cat likes to play D. However, he did get beat to the basket a couple times. Over all, very impressive all around game for a rookie, especially a second round draft pick.

I am very excited to have this cat wear the knick uniform.

nyfan33

Rookie
The way everyone is talking about Ariza's long arms and quick feet on D, kind of reminds me of Tayshaun Prince. I hope Ariza does get some minutes this year because he's going to be exciting to watch and definitely deserves the court time more than Shandon.

he went to my high school...Westchester, the best hoops schoolin the city section...just one of several COMETS in the league...thats tight that he's ballin...esp cause i thought he left too early...and my dog jamal crawford is a Beast!! He's another LA product,played at Dorsey...looks like the knicks is finally bout to do some things that'll set 'em up for the long term...

newmove

Rotation player
nyfan33 said:
Ariza's long arms and quick feet on D, kind of reminds me of Tayshaun Prince.
Exactly! :p :p :p
And he plays team ball like TP as well. Hopefully he will develop himself to the same level Prince did.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
Hey the Knicks finally realized the draft is necessary!! When Layden ruled, he to Frederic Weiss over Ron Artest!!! My Lord!! Anyways, as long a we try to pick the best players available hopefully we can get more talented players T-Mobile. My nickname for Ariza since this cat seems to be all word and and coast to coast!!