Philadelphia 76ers @ New York Knicks 03.11 12:00PM

erivera

Benchwarmer
after watching today's game im convinced stoudemire is a bigger problem than melo. melo can create his own shot and has a jumper. he's struggled, but i think he can get it going. stoudemire rarely creates his own shot and when he does it gets blocked or he misses. i have no confidence in his jumper. he hits maybe one a game if he's hot.

on the defensive end, melo can be hidden if you have better defenders around him, and i think he's a better rebounder than stoudemire. stoudemire being in the paint more allows too many guys to come down the lane uncontestested, and he doesn't rebound the ball well.

after watching today's game im convinced stoudemire is a bigger problem than melo. melo can create his own shot and has a jumper. he's struggled, but i think he can get it going. stoudemire rarely creates his own shot and when he does it gets blocked or he misses. i have no confidence in his jumper. he hits maybe one a game if he's hot.

on the defensive end, melo can be hidden if you have better defenders around him, and i think he's a better rebounder than stoudemire. stoudemire being in the paint more allows too many guys to come down the lane uncontestested, and he doesn't rebound the ball well.

Melo looked good in the 1Q but then disappeared. If only he could play 4Qs? Is he just not motivated or is he out of shape?

tkrieger

Benchwarmer
- Novak played some great defense in the Q4 including a freaking important steal and he hit an even more important threepointer.

- Shump was out of control today, but I agree he should have been playing more in the crunch because of his incredible defense.

- Agreed, but at least JR showed EFFORT.

- Carmelo was shooting 38%, the guy he was supposed to guard shot 6-8 with Anthony on him and just 1-4 in the Q4.

- Agreed, that's why he was playing in the Q4 instead of Lamelo, if you don't give a fukk about this team, you should be benched, so D'Antoni showed some balls and told Anthony to GTFO and let real players play.

-Agreed, that's why he was benched with Lamelo together.

-Agreed, maybe if D'Antoni didn't bench Carmelo in the Q2 he would be on fire throughout the Q3 and wouldn't get benched in the Q4.

-Agreed, guy is a great teammate and a superb defender compared to our "stars". Besides, he gives a shit about this organization and isn't afraid of playing physical, we all owe him.

Shump's main objective should be defense. (Although he's had a tendency to get his "ankles broken" in recent games.) Only shoot if wide open.

When Melo is hot, don't bench him 'til he cools off. Melo's "D" is also a lot better when his offense is clicking....... When he gets cold, he thinks about his next shot instead of his defense. Then the team goes into a tailspin.

Kiyaman

Legend
Frustrating. At least Mike kept Melo and Stat on the bench at the end of the game.
Quite interesting that Clyde criticised MDA on-air. Maybe Dolan gave them the green light. But who could replace Dantoni?

We have 3 assistant coaches that are much wiser than Dantoni on offense/defense.....when coach Gentry beat coach Pop in a postseason series....that was the icing on Dantoni's NBA career.

JR Smith playingtime minutes should be alongside of Bdiddy minutes....u dont breakup a unit (Lin/Shump/Fields/Novak/Jefferies/Tyson) that co-exist better by the more minutes they play in a lineup together game after game....u do your best to keep a trio or more of those (6) players in lineups in the 2nd half of each game....give those players the credit they are do by giving them playingtime in the same lineup because....they were/are our 7 game win streak.

The garbage NBA analyst Breen & Tripuka be spitting out after these 5 losses is waste of time listening to.

Rioferd

Benchwarmer
Does anyone else think that this team would be a good fit for Van Gundy's system?

At least we would play some defence.

skisloper

Starter
If Dantonio has real balls he goes back to THE STARTING 5 THAT got us the winning streak....walker is out but put someone in...

LET STAT AND MELO SIT ......let them earn time through hard work....

The more I watch Melo grab offensive rebounds the more pissed I get because he picks and chooses when to get active....usually its after he makes a mistake ( iggy foul ) or misses and easy lay up or gets beat by IGGY....Everything he does is loaded with narcisissm.....drives me nuts......

GOD BLESS GEORGE KARL

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
Does anyone else think that this team would be a good fit for Van Gundy's system?

At least we would play some defence.

Knowing JVG, he will make them fit into his system.

This team does not play defense most of the time and their offense is so predictable. That's a bad combination for any team.

Daize

Rookie
Lin had a bad game, yet had the second-best +/- amongst Knicks players for the game......... For the second straight game, the Knicks were just plain awful with him on the bench. (Lin was +13 in the Bucks loss. That should tell you something.)

I didn't think Lin had a bad game at all. Granted, I don't think Lin actually played today but some former shell of himself that looked almost like a replica Tony Douglas or whatever anonymous terrible PG play we had pre-Lin era; save a flash or two a game to least remind fan briefly of how he were.

That was like watching a cancer patient play with the energy and confidence of an anorexic girl looking in a mirror. eww

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
I didn't think Lin had a bad game at all. Granted, I don't think Lin actually played today but some former shell of himself that looked almost like a replica Tony Douglas or whatever anonymous terrible PG play we had pre-Lin era; save a flash or two a game to least remind fan briefly of how he were.

That was like watching a cancer patient play with the energy and confidence of an anorexic girl looking in a mirror. eww

Did you watch the game? Lin was a TO machine today. He was forcing pass into double or triple team. He was leaving his feet while making his pass. His shots were not falling. Lin contributed to this pathetic beating by the Sixers.

You can't blame every loss on Melo and Stat.

Daize

Rookie
Did you watch the game? Lin was a TO machine today. He was forcing pass into double or triple team. He was leaving his feet while making his pass. His shots were not falling. Lin contributed to this pathetic beating by the Sixers.

LOLOLOL, the level of funny in this is just stupefying and incredibly perfect in embodying the mindset of a typical Knicks fan.

Was reading more than one sentence in a tiny paragraph just too much for you?

skisloper

Starter
Although Lin's TO were ugly I love having him in the game as long as he in attack mode......

Without being crucified for this question......Why can Melo not play the 2 guard ?

LIN
MELO
NOVAK
JEFFRIES
CHANDLER

DAVIS
FIELDS
SHUMP
JORTS
STAT

USE JR WHEREVER

Benchwarmer
Okay, as I mentioned on one of the other threads, I'm new to basketball
because of Jeremy Lin.

Under the circumstances, I don't think it's reasonable to think the Knicks
will suddenly become an overnight sensation as a team. Yes, Lin pulled
that off in the beginning, but that was media hype. I'm still a fan of his,
I can't deny it.

However, I don't think it's all Melo's fault, or anyone in particular. They
need to practice as a team, learn to play as a team. AND, play more
defensively. They need to be under the basket when someone misses
a shot.

I can't blame the coach 100%. EXCEPT for the lack of defense, and I don't
think that has anything to do with Lin. I suspect the Knicks never had
defense. And, THAT I can't understand. :eek:hboy:

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot

It's a matter of system wherein Lin operates; at the point our superstars returned we immidiately started playing the system we were used to during the first part of the season, namely where the ballhandler stands at the top of the key and distributes the ball along the peremiter and the receiver goes isolation and is supposed to create himself. This system doesn't fit with Lin's skill set and although Carmelo's very familiar with isolation plays assigned to him this system simply excludes his teammates from taking part in our offense. Our long winning streak was a result of solid defense combined with fast break opportunities and plays based on screens and movement off the ball. You can't blame Lin for not finding an open man when your offense is stagnant and uses 1 on 1 isolation plays. We need to get back our defensive pressure and offensive flow. D'Antoni isn't the greatest coach in the league and you can accuse him for many mistakes he made during his career with the Knicks, but you have to remember that he's forced to work with randomly selected "superstars" that show no will to buy into his philosophy. It's players who are supposed to adjust into the system, not the other way around. In my opinion D'Antoni (even if I want him gone) should receive green light from the front office to bench our max contracts if they don't show enough desire to compete at higher levels within the system he preaches.

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
LOLOLOL, the level of funny in this is just stupefying and incredibly perfect in embodying the mindset of a typical Knicks fan.

Lin had a bad game as simple as that. If you can't get past your infatuation for Lin, it's your problem. Don't bother with the personal insult. You are only making a fool out of yourself.

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
It's a matter of system wherein Lin operates; at the point our superstars returned we immidiately started playing the system we were used to during the first part of the season, namely where the ballhandler stands at the top of the key and distributes the ball along the peremiter and the receiver goes isolation and is supposed to create himself. This system doesn't fit with Lin's skill set and although Carmelo's very familiar with isolation plays assigned to him this system simply excludes his teammates from taking part in our offense. Our long winning streak was a result of solid defense combined with fast break opportunities and plays based on screens and movement off the ball. You can't blame Lin for not finding an open man when your offense is stagnant and uses 1 on 1 isolation plays. We need to get back our defensive pressure and offensive flow. D'Antoni isn't the greatest coach in the league and you can accuse him for many mistakes he made during his career with the Knicks, but you have to remember that he's forced to work with randomly selected "superstars" that show no will to buy into his philosophy. It's players who are supposed to adjust into the system, not the other way around. In my opinion D'Antoni (even if I want him gone) should receive green light from the front office to bench our max contracts if they don't show enough desire to compete at higher levels within the system he preaches.

I am not pinning this loss on Lin but he made some poor judgement throughout the game. I think he is forcing things.

But I do agree with you that Melo and Stat are just not fitting into MDA's system. Stat is Mr. Butterfinger these days and when he did have the ball on a breakaway, he got his shots blocked.

When your max players are sitting on the bench in the 4th quarter as the team is trying to come back, you know something is not right. I hope someone figures out the chemistry quickly. Time is running out.

Kiyaman

Legend

The crazy combination of Knicks lineups on the court in the past 5 games has been ridiculous....as if our substitution was made to lose games.

If our headcoach had a brain....
Shump/Fields would be the only SG in Lin's backcourt lineup....JR Smith should be working with Bdiddy as a veteran backcourt lineup throughout the remaining of the season....Tyson, Stat, and Melo would have different types of "trio or quad" lineups to be in for more-offense or more-defense to choose from by now.........
Tyson/Stat/ Jefferies, Tyson/Jefferies/Melo, Tyson/Jefferies/Novak, Jorts/Stat/Melo, and Jordan/Stat/Melo.....

What did Dantoni prove by benching Stat & Melo? Nothing!
He probably wouldve prove something if he had a certain lineup of players on the court....
"Tyson, Novak, Jefferies, Field, Shump, Lin"...

kinein

Benchwarmer

You do realize this is a knicks forum right?

kinein

Benchwarmer
So I was trying to figure out the top 7 players I would rather play in the 1st quarter and opening the 3rd quarter and it was like this:

Lin Chandler Shump Landry Jeffries Novak Jr Smith

My criteria was - who gives effort defending and attacking - who committed effort on both sides of the ball.

I think this team is missing Jeffries really badly - besides sweet defensive plays, his tips and put-backs.. we are missing some of the momentum he is able to MAINTAIN for runs.

Then I realized this was basically the february run squad + new explosiveness from Jr Smith (JR has the talent - he needs to be able to elevate his game and focus when he's about to put the ball in tho) - that'll come when he gets comfortable.