What the Knicks Should do to Improve

What do the Knicks have to do to start winning again?

• Losing streaks happen to all teams. The Knicks will be fine.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Get rid of Antoni. Keep everyone else.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Dump JELLO and Antoni. Keep everyone else.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Dump SHAT and Antoni. Keep everyone else.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Dump SHAT, JELLO, and Antoni.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • There's no hope.

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kinein

Benchwarmer
A coach shouldn't have to yell - last I checked Carmelo is a father and so is Amare.

But then again ~ I wouldn't mind if he yelled. But I don't think him yelling will change anything - those guys have to change themselves.

Just want to time-travel to the next game. I'm done with today's loss. Already watched the Cavs and Bucks climb 1 game closer today -_-

Last edited:

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Because #1) he's in a terrible system. And #2) Amar'e can not play in a system where he's NOT the primary PnR man. There's a reason why he goes for big point totals like 27 against the Bucks when Tyson doesn't play. There's a reason why he's been primarily a jump shooter, and takes those awkward drives to the rim that doesn't work BECAUSE TYSON IS BEING USED AS THE PRIMARY P&R MAN, IT'S WHAT HE DOES AS A CENTER ON THE OFFENSIVE END (SEE THE TYSON & CP3 DUO BACK IN THE DAY

So even if you get another coach, and that coach has Tyson operating the P&R, you have a problem....what's STAT doing? He's not a jump shooter (check his percentages this year), he has no post game, he doesn't get offensive boards, what does he do!?!??!??!??!?!?!??!?!??!??!??!?!??!?

So when you trade Melo, get another coach, and STAT is still getting 15-17 ppg because Tyson is still running the P&R, what are you doing then?

:agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed:

Good point ppl need to realize it is mostly the coach you don't just throw away all this talent without giving it a run with a GOOD coach that implements a system that can help this team.

Like Nuckles said STAT's main problem he's the secondary P&R man, Melo's is first he had the ball way too much trying to be a point forward which he'll never be to now he doesn't get the ball enough and when he does he's never in rhythm. Mike D'Antoni is putting too much trust and pressure in Lin this guy always has a hard on for PG's and he wants Lin to develop faster than he is developing so he can ride Lin like he did with Nash.

1st. New coach
2nd. Melo needs to be more involved run similar plays and sets for like Karl did in Denver, get him in the post a lot more.
3rd. Amare needs to be the primary pick and roll man when he's on the floor
4th. Either bench Lin or stop overly relying on him because when he does mess up the entire flow of the offense is gone to shit.

kinein

Benchwarmer

No disrespect to Lin, but he's not that good to be taking the last shot with the game on the line day in day out. He plays scared a lot when the pressure is on.

Your going to have to give me an example of the last time in crunch-time when Lin needed to make a shot he didn't deliver to tie or win the game.

kinein

Benchwarmer
JELLO shoots 40% and makes 20 million a year. How does it not make sense to dump him?

Jello was shooting mid 30% for more than half the season - he only recently got into 40%. Big difference. Its also why we he has a really bad win to loss record when he has played for the team this season. Just adding to your reply :afro:

And I'm quoting Melo supporters : "He is SO CLUTCH, He is a VOLUME shooter, he has to get enough touches!"

Course at the same time: I'm watching all the top teams and their players shooting at a minimum of 45% thats MINIMUM. A lot of these teams are averaging 48-51%

Your going to have to give me an example of the last time in crunch-time when Lin needed to make a shot he didn't deliver to tie or win the game.

Why would I need to give an example? Pressure was hot against Miami & Boston and he didnt show up. The kid has a decent game, but I know that (scared) look and body language when I see it.

Like I said earlier no disrespect meant, but the kid has a long way to go before he becomes my go to guy to close out a game...

kinein

Benchwarmer

Why would I need to give an example? Pressure was hot against Miami & Boston and he didnt show up. The kid has a decent game, but I know that (scared) look and body language when I see it.

Like I said earlier no disrespect meant, but the kid has a long way to go before he becomes my go to guy to close out a game...

I know where you are coming from. I'm not going to argue that in his first year actually getting starting time that he is going to be a Rondo.

No one is asking you to make him your go to guy. I just think he is more clutch. Since you are mentioning Miami and Boston.

Miami was the first time a team gave Lin - Superstar respect and pressured him and swarmed on Defense. How many teams do you know have 5 guys that hustle on D. I know of 2. Chicago and Miami. That was his very first time ever and what 8th? 9th game starting.

Keep in mind this was the last game over a 7-day stretch on zero rest zero practice.

Miami had a day between more than half of their games over a 8-day stretch at the same time. Besides the fact that Miami's players have several years under their belt.

Only time will tell how good Jeremy Lin will be - I like how exciting it is to watch him play and how it changes the flow of the Knicks team. I actually believe the Knicks can win games and consistently. I also believe that with Lin they can go to the conference championships and finals if they can click-in time and build up enough chemistry and fire.

Boston, despite some turn-overs he wasn't completely shut-down and Rondo did miss like 20 layups. I'm not going to say the celtics ripped him apart. ALSO Lin did make some crunchtime hustle to drive to the ball and then hit the 3 to get the Knicks close enough that when Melo took his shots they were able to win that game.

If they play ANY defense whatsoever.

I reference Lakers v Celtics over the weekend and how 4 of their players ALL their "stars" swarmed and played defense and contested 3+ 3pt shot attempts over the course of 10 seconds.

It isn't just shooting but defense. The fact that Carmelo has an additional 15-20lbs of extra weight now and is out-of-condition inspires little trust.

I'm not offended at all. I think you have some valid points and a solid opinion.

I'll also make a note that since Miami every team's point guard has played above and many-times beyond their average throughout the season. Basically the Lin & the Knicks are drawing Playoff level intensity from their opponents. Teams are waking up to go 200% when they play Lin. I'm rooting for the Knicks and Lin to adjust to this intensity and compete at a much higher level.

I think this in turn is good for the NBA. Instead of watching Garbage basketball there is a ripple effect - and teams are much more competitive. They are practicing harder, putting more heart, and upping the ante in intensity and effort.

So I'm also appreciating the impact it has had on the NBA.

*** But I think our conversation should end here as it is de-railing the thread topic ***

So I'm also appreciating the impact it has had on the NBA.

*** But I think our conversation should end here as it is de-railing the thread topic ***

Just watching this current game against the bulls in the last 3 mins of the game Lin has missed a wide open jumper, missed a layup, and threw a brutal pass that was turned over. He's not ready for the closer role.

As far as us winning. Fire MDA. Hire Laimbeer...

kinein

Benchwarmer
Just watching this current game against the bulls in the last 3 mins of the game Lin has missed a wide open jumper, missed a layup, and threw a brutal pass that was turned over. He's not ready for the closer role.

As far as us winning. Fire MDA. Hire Laimbeer...

Seen it. Though Clutch time is last 2 minutes ^_^ and Lin didn't take the most important shots then Melo 2/4.

I'll say the the 1 other TO - to landry once again - just seeing LIN refusing to take the higher % shots - and just still stuck on trying to give the ball up. Saw Lin refuse the arc shot and refuse a clean jump shot - he still has that hesitation post-melo return. He also has written on his face - I need to distribute. Which leads to some bad turn-overs. If he takes the attack approach - and not just driving into traffic --- and just --- relaxes and has fun ~ He will be a lot more effective. Lin still hasn't been the Lin that went away after Toronto. I think he is about 40-55% away from being his natural self.

I'm positive about the game results. The team just has to work on rebounding and hustle. Melo and Amare said as much in their post-game interviews.

Completely believe the knicks have finally climbed over the hump of chemistry and really just identifying what they have to work on. There was a lot of raw energy. I think the biggest momentum killers was JR Smith's turnovers and missed layup all within 30 seconds 1 minute. It sucks to see JR do so bad. I know he wants to do well and be a contributor. Having so many bad games has got to be putting a damper on his confidence.

But I don't even consider offense an issue for the Knicks at this point.

Amare 3 rebounds. Rest of knicks team in general poor on rebounds. - Its the 80+ Bulls rebounds to the 30+ knicks rebounds.

Taj Gibson coming off the bench for 15pts 13 rebounds - 2nd half sea of never-ending 2nd 3rd attempts.

Bulls getting 20+ extra shots off - thats unacceptable.

Great learning lesson - I expect the Knicks to watch tape and figure it out. We have to be patient. Thankfully its still early March.

I say we win 4/6 of last games - easy - if we have just a little more defense and a little more rebounding -from entire team - we are hurting without Jeffries added heart and defensive play. Hoping he gets well sooner than later.

Last edited:

Rookie
Trade Carmelo.
Knicks have 9 wins and 1 lose streak when Carmelo injured.
Knicks have 6 lose steak when Carmelo back from injured.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Cambridge%2BEnglish%2BVocabulary%2Bin%2BUse%2BElementary.jpg

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I know it's unfair to criticize anyone's accent or language skills, but I just had to post it after I read another 2012's post...

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
There isn't an easy fix for the Knicks right now. If you look at the Knicks since Isiah took over until now you will see a pattern that keeps destroying this organization.
Isiah loaded the team with 1 dimensional players; the sum of the team outweighed the value of the individual. Case in point; Zach Randolph! side note (The Knicks should have kept Randolph, got rid of everyone else (including Lee) and built around him). So, Isiah failed because he had 5 scorers on the floor and not 1 played individual or team defense.
Then the Knicks bring in Mike D and spend the first 3 years blowing up the roster in the hopes of a long shot in James; that was the sole goal of the player/salary dump. That didn't pan out so they bring in STAT and Felton.
Last year, prior to the Melo trade the Knicks actually looked good and at times great but it was apparent that they still were a player or 2 short if they were going to seriously content for a championship. STAT looked great (was having a career year), the offense was driven through him and Felton looked like an all star under Mike D! What did this team do, trade EVERYONE for a 1 dimensional player and they haven't looked good since. Now with the emergence of Lin, there was a stretch of games where the Knicks looked like a competitive, gutsy, hungry team. With STAT and Melo back into the lineup you are seeing the results of not understanding team chemistry and putting way to much emphasis on a star; we are seeing the Isiah Knicks version 2.0. STAT, Melo, Fields and Lin; ALL SCORERS! Melo can't coexist with a PG that controls the ball, plain and simple. As far as Stat is concerned, his game has gone down since moving to the 4; we saw it in Phoenix when they experimented with it and we are seeing it now. So, what is the fix?
1) The NBA needs to control Dolan!!! MLB did it with George Steinbrenner and the NBA should do it with Dolan if they want to see their biggest market put out a decent product.
2) Move Stat back to the 5!!!!! He is not a back to the basket type of player, he needs to face the basket and that is why he has been successful at the 5. Plus he would be quicker and more athletic that all 5's in the NBA with the exception of Howard and I've seen Stat take it to Howard at times.
3) Trade Melo! If not now, then during the off season. I know the trade Melo cry has become a cliche at this point but if they keep Melo then they have to revamp the rest of the team; including Stat! That is a much harder task to take on then trading a player that is still considered an elite in the league.
4) Decide on Lin! If the Knicks are a win now team then developing Lin is a luxury they don't have. Stat is aging and is going to start seriously breaking down soon, along with Tyson. Both these guys have bodies that have taken a beating during their careers and are starting to show serious signs that they are approaching towards the down side of their careers. So if they are a win now team I would try to get Felton back! He was fantastic as a Knick and under Mike D.
5) Decide what direction they are going to go with the coaching spot. I don't care if you bring in Phil Jackson, this team can't function in it's current form. If they are going to bring in a different coach then I would wait until the off season before making any moves.

iJoe

Rotation player
Its pretty weird.....

Amare can't play well with Tyson
Fields can't play well with Melo
Lin can't play well with Melo
Amare and Melo don't play well together

Anyone else notice that Melo does not play well in the fast break? He's so much more comfortable in a slower game. Amare just seems lost. I think the loss of his brother and injuries has a bigger effect mentally than anything else. He just seems a step slow to everything... though especially with rebounding. His moves are all telegraphed which is why he gets blocked so much. There's nothing easy right now......

There isn't an easy fix for the Knicks right now. If you look at the Knicks since Isiah took over until now you will see a pattern that keeps destroying this organization.
Isiah loaded the team with 1 dimensional players; the sum of the team outweighed the value of the individual. Case in point; Zach Randolph! side note (The Knicks should have kept Randolph, got rid of everyone else (including Lee) and built around him). So, Isiah failed because he had 5 scorers on the floor and not 1 played individual or team defense.
Then the Knicks bring in Mike D and spend the first 3 years blowing up the roster in the hopes of a long shot in James; that was the sole goal of the player/salary dump. That didn't pan out so they bring in STAT and Felton.
Last year, prior to the Melo trade the Knicks actually looked good and at times great but it was apparent that they still were a player or 2 short if they were going to seriously content for a championship. STAT looked great (was having a career year), the offense was driven through him and Felton looked like an all star under Mike D! What did this team do, trade EVERYONE for a 1 dimensional player and they haven't looked good since. Now with the emergence of Lin, there was a stretch of games where the Knicks looked like a competitive, gutsy, hungry team. With STAT and Melo back into the lineup you are seeing the results of not understanding team chemistry and putting way to much emphasis on a star; we are seeing the Isiah Knicks version 2.0. STAT, Melo, Fields and Lin; ALL SCORERS! Melo can't coexist with a PG that controls the ball, plain and simple. As far as Stat is concerned, his game has gone down since moving to the 4; we saw it in Phoenix when they experimented with it and we are seeing it now. So, what is the fix?
1) The NBA needs to control Dolan!!! MLB did it with George Steinbrenner and the NBA should do it with Dolan if they want to see their biggest market put out a decent product.
2) Move Stat back to the 5!!!!! He is not a back to the basket type of player, he needs to face the basket and that is why he has been successful at the 5. Plus he would be quicker and more athletic that all 5's in the NBA with the exception of Howard and I've seen Stat take it to Howard at times.
3) Trade Melo! If not now, then during the off season. I know the trade Melo cry has become a cliche at this point but if they keep Melo then they have to revamp the rest of the team; including Stat! That is a much harder task to take on then trading a player that is still considered an elite in the league.
4) Decide on Lin! If the Knicks are a win now team then developing Lin is a luxury they don't have. Stat is aging and is going to start seriously breaking down soon, along with Tyson. Both these guys have bodies that have taken a beating during their careers and are starting to show serious signs that they are approaching towards the down side of their careers. So if they are a win now team I would try to get Felton back! He was fantastic as a Knick and under Mike D.
5) Decide what direction they are going to go with the coaching spot. I don't care if you bring in Phil Jackson, this team can't function in it's current form. If they are going to bring in a different coach then I would wait until the off season before making any moves.

1) Controlling Dolan would be good. Him selling the team would be even better.

2) STATs quickness advantage is declining. Slowly but surely. IMHO, it'd be best for him to learn some post moves and dominant from that aspect of the game. I really dont believe he doesnt have a post game, I think the coach doesnt use him in the post because that's not his offense.

3)I dont want Melo traded either. The guy has game he is being used opposite of what he's used to.

4) Lin Stays

5) Bill Laimbeer. MDA is the problem with this team. I'm watching Orlando right now and they're running plays MDA couldnt even dream up. They're playing inside out effectively and effeciently.

As far as Dwight Howard. I think he's soft and not a leader. I'd rather stick with what we have and get a new coach..

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
[/b]

1) Controlling Dolan would be good. Him selling the team would be even better.

2) STATs quickness advantage is declining. Slowly but surely. IMHO, it'd be best for him to learn some post moves and dominant from that aspect of the game. I really dont believe he doesnt have a post game, I think the coach doesnt use him in the post because that's not his offense.

3)I dont want Melo traded either. The guy has game he is being used opposite of what he's used to.

4) Lin Stays

5) Bill Laimbeer. MDA is the problem with this team. I'm watching Orlando right now and they're running plays MDA couldnt even dream up. They're playing inside out effectively and effeciently.

As far as Dwight Howard. I think he's soft and not a leader. I'd rather stick with what we have and get a new coach...

Dwight Howard's been to the NBA Finals. Carmelo Anthony's made it passed the first round of the playoffs once in 8 years.

I'd rather have Howard.

Dwight Howard's been to the NBA Finals. Carmelo Anthony's made it passed the first round of the playoffs once in 8 years.

I'd rather have Howard.

Giving up Melo and Chandler or STAT & Chandler isnt worth D12. He's soft, MENTALLY. Especially for the best big man in the game.