MDA has Resigned as Knicks Coach

munco

Benchwarmer
Right, so Melo was the reason we got killed onn the boards or Melo was the reason Parker and Williams killed us. Melo is the reason why Amare's matchup usually has season highs... ok

Melo is the reason our team chemistry has been terrible. If you're supposed superstar plays with the least amount of energy on D and openly refuses to run the play that's called the rest of the team is not going to play well.

When Melo was out we won a lot more than when he's in. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Didn't solve all of the problems, just like Melo didn't cause all of them.

But the sentiments around here seem to say it's all on him. I mean...yea, Linsanity was Linsane and all...but people are all over the place when trying to quantify it.

When it was happening against the Wiz, Kings, and Raptors, it was "oh he's not playing anyone, just wait and see" and then Melo's return happens to coincide with the team playing the Heat, Spurs, Mavs, and Bulls on the road and it's "ooooooohhh you dirty ***** Carmelo!!!"

But wait....isn't this when we're now seeing Lin against competition that's prepared for him? He still hits those clutch floaters and turn around jumpers in the lane....but it's not like he's not averaging 25 & 13 anymore solely cause Melo laces up his kicks and takes the court.

It's a schematic thing. You don't take a paint operator/scorer and put him on the wing, then cry bloody murder when he's upset with it.

I get it...he should have been a good teammate and bought in.

But I saw how far Phoenix got with a 2-time MVP Nash, an Amar'e that was playing FANTASTIC basketball, and a team full of players that "fit" MDA's system. The closest they got was a situation where they "might have, probably would have won" if some suspensions didn't take place. One time. All the other years were "oh you guys are in the playoffs? yea ok, whatever"

I'm not confident that that "system" is getting us past the Heat, Bulls, 76ers, or Pacers.

So "justified" or not, it needs to be switched up.

Melo hanging out around the 3-point line is something you see a little kid do in a video game because he wants to shoot 3s, wherever, whenever, with whom ever.

Melo spacing the court? FOR WHO, FOR WHAT?

+1 Well at least somebody does

Wargames

Starter
Melo is the reason our team chemistry has been terrible. If you're supposed superstar plays with the least amount of energy on D and openly refuses to run the play that's called the rest of the team is not going to play well.

When Melo was out we won a lot more than when he's in. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this.

A lot of you post Linsanity posters.... well it always seems like you guys only started watching after Linsanity. Anyone here who brings up chemistry as being the reason the knicks fail have not been watching the knicks long enough to know its bad coaching. The chemistry stuff is new the lack of D and bad coaching have been stalwarts.

Can someone post the list of how many stars (and scrubs) had career games against the knicks while D'antoni was the coach. So these D'antoni defenders can go away. I know Evan turner had one a few days ago....

KingCharles34

All Star
Im shocked right now, i just found out 2 minutes ago. I thought it was a mistake on realgm until i came here, I thought he'd at least make it the rest of the season.

To be honest i feel kinda bad, i mean it was definitely right for him to step down but in no way should he be the main scapegoat.Our record is just as much of Stats and Jello's fault as it is Antoni's so i think its time to move Melo and some pieces for Dwight. Theres no team that would want Atari, just waive him next year

*EDIT*

Just saw Sloan's interested in the job, Jerry Sloan...dont do this to yourself. If u wanna live another 5 to 10 years, dont coach the knicks unless we trade Wack n jello

KBlack25

Starter
A lot of you post Linsanity posters.... well it always seems like you guys only started watching after Linsanity. Anyone here who brings up chemistry as being the reason the knicks fail have not been watching the knicks long enough to know its bad coaching. The chemistry stuff is new the lack of D and bad coaching have been stalwarts.

Can someone post the list of how many stars (and scrubs) had career games against the knicks while D'antoni was the coach. So these D'antoni defenders can go away. I know Evan turner had one a few days ago....

You can't say the D has been bad this year with a straight face.

wynton

Rookie
The D this year was generally ok. But during this recent losing streak, it has been horrid (except for the last game).

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Melo + MDA was doomed from the start.

MDA had the guys he wanted at the start of 2010-11 for the most part - this team got gutted for a ball stopping three forward that really did nothing MDA wanted to do.

Melo came in entitled and selfish, and MDA remained married to his system, a system that by the way has won as many titles in the NBA as Riley and JVG in NY, for what it's worth (two coaches whose era Knicks fans pine for). To MDA's credit, he lived and died by his sword. The ownership clearly chose Melo, that's fine - but several guys thrived here in Melo's absence.

Melo has to realize this is a team game, and what's best for the team might not necessarily be best for his individual numbers. So far, I haven't seen any of it. He has to change his thought process before real progress is made.

I agree to a certain extent.

I don't know how entitled or selfish Melo is for expecting to be put in a position to succeed. Other teams do it for their star players. As big as Durant is, he comes off scripted screens to get open looks. He's not pigeonholed into one spot of the floor for the sake of the "offense."

It makes no sense to have a talented 3, and just treat him like any other small forward out there, and not feature him.

Rudy Gay is feature, KD is featured, Blake is featured, Aldridge is featured, Melo was not featured. Barely even ran the PnR with Lin.

Love him, hate him, indifferent, whatever...you can't tell me that makes any sense whatsoever.

Yes, MDA was married to his system, but when it's clearly not incorporating the most talented player you have on the roster, and it's taking away his opportunity to utilize his talent....I don't see how that's a virtuous attribute. Seems kinda dumb to me.

We have one half of the anti-Melo faction saying his numbers are terrible (which they are) and then you have some saying he's in it for personal numbers, and that's why he hates the system?

His scoring and FG% was a DIRECT result of how many fouls and and-1s he got from operating on the low block. Post, utilize footwork, get fouled, miss the shot, make 2 free throws = points without affecting FG%.

His free throw attempts are down this season, but his shots from the perimeter are up...so you have a guy that will routinely stop the clock and put points up on the board, but you willing to give that up for a "system" an ideology? Is it really worth it?

I don't see how anyone can make that argument.

munco

Benchwarmer

I've lived in NY for 12 years but the Knicks haven't been fun to watch in a long time. Linsanity made the Knicks exciting to watch.

How can you state there's not good chemistry by watching the Knicks lately? Melo started not running the plays that were called and then would get miffed when he didn't get the ball. You'd say that's good chemistry?

Evan Turner had a great game, but the kid had been playing great and he was the #2 pick in the draft last year. The kid could become a great player. What about Taj Gibson getting 8 offensive boards and 13 rebounds total in just 25 minutes of play? You can say part of that was the Knicks needing to play help D but no way does that explain the Knicks not even boxing out half the time in that game.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Defense is not the reason these guys are losing. It's true that they're not playing amazingly in crunch time, but they've been doing a good job at defense compared to how they were at the beginning of last year when we were running D'Antoni's "SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT DAMMIT SHOOT" system having lopsided scores like 120-110 every night.

Defense has been decent this year. I agree it was time for a coaching change, but it could've been handled better. We know that MDA has the ability to be a decent coach with the right personnel, but this personnel clearly didn't fit his style. For better or worse, we got Carmelo Anthony (for better, because he's one of the best scorers in the league, and I'll stand by that just to prevent myself from getting depressed), and now we need to find a coach that will use him as something more than a spot-up shooter.

I...don't know where we're going with Mike Woodson, but D'Antoni probably doesn't want to be here anyway.

nyk_nyk

All Star
the overall record is 26-39 with Melo (including last year + playoffs) and 43-34 without him (including pre-trade + Linsanity).

Based on your constant repeating of the record with/without Melo, I guess it was a good idea to fire the coach since he also had a losing record. The difference is, he accomplished nothing over a longer stretch.

Remember that next time you decide to post a record for the umteenth time.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Wow, indeed....

****. Was really praying for a Melo + Ty for Howard + Turk trade.

Well, this might make the Nets keen to trade Williams now. Though idk how that would work w/ us....

You're bordering on trolling now. One of them had to go and the choice was made. Get over it or go root for the Nyets.

TakMan

Rotation player
The Knicks record immediately before the trade was 4-5, one of the loses came to the Clippers.

Please, stop.

That's a ridiculous statement. Anyone who was watching those games could easily see the players had been affected by the culmination of the saga. Two players most evidently affected by that were Chandler and Felton, who were severely underperforming. All those who are talking about D'Antoni's losing seasons also cannot be taken seriously. Name 3 players that were part of the Knicks roster throughout the 3.5 years. I don't think you'll even be able to name one.

red32

Benchwarmer
It has finally come to an end. Dantoni is gone. Melo has got his wish. Its time for him to back up everything. Woodson is a very iso heavy coach. It will cater to Melo. Time for a big run to end this season. Saving the season starts tonight. Come on Knicks turn this around. Didn't want a drastic move like this especially this late in the season. But this is exactly what we needed. Lets go NYK!

Melo better be on the top of his game if he gets his ios, otherwise, he would definitely get boo'ed.

Den318

Benchwarmer
Melo can go sux a dik. What a loser.

Anyway, Melo will play his ass off the next few games to prove that the coach is the reason we are losing. Let me make a guess here. He will avg 27pts, 25 shots per game for the next couple of game. He will hustle on both side of the court. This will give us a "better" shot at winning, at least for the next few games/weeks/months until this loser get back to his heartless lazyass way.

/end rant

P.s. dont get me wrong, he will still shoot 40% LOL

Forrest17

Rotation player
That's a ridiculous statement. Anyone who was watching those games could easily see the players had been affected by the culmination of the saga. Two players most evidently affected by that were Chandler and Felton, who were severely underperforming. All those who are talking about D'Antoni's losing seasons also cannot be taken seriously. Name 3 players that were part of the Knicks roster throughout the 3.5 years. I don't think you'll even be able to name one.

Thats because there hasn't been one. Toney Douglas is the longest tenured Knick. In 08 and 09 D'Antoni clearly wasn't hear to coach to victories. That was all about burning off bad contracts, and cleaning up the mess Isaiah left us. And I can only assume that Walsh went after D'Antoni because his system could help boost player stats and raise their trade value.. D'Antoni never at any point here though had a stable team, or any assurance that this was his team to coach. Who is going to buy into a coaches system or listen to them when they all know they won't be back the next year.

Red

TYPE-A
I agree to a certain extent.

I don't know how entitled or selfish Melo is for expecting to be put in a position to succeed. Other teams do it for their star players. As big as Durant is, he comes off scripted screens to get open looks. He's not pigeonholed into one spot of the floor for the sake of the "offense."

It makes no sense to have a talented 3, and just treat him like any other small forward out there, and not feature him.

Rudy Gay is feature, KD is featured, Blake is featured, Aldridge is featured, Melo was not featured. Barely even ran the PnR with Lin.

Love him, hate him, indifferent, whatever...you can't tell me that makes any sense whatsoever.

Yes, MDA was married to his system, but when it's clearly not incorporating the most talented player you have on the roster, and it's taking away his opportunity to utilize his talent....I don't see how that's a virtuous attribute. Seems kinda dumb to me.

We have one half of the anti-Melo faction saying his numbers are terrible (which they are) and then you have some saying he's in it for personal numbers, and that's why he hates the system?

His scoring and FG% was a DIRECT result of how many fouls and and-1s he got from operating on the low block. Post, utilize footwork, get fouled, miss the shot, make 2 free throws = points without affecting FG%.

His free throw attempts are down this season, but his shots from the perimeter are up...so you have a guy that will routinely stop the clock and put points up on the board, but you willing to give that up for a "system" an ideology? Is it really worth it?

I don't see how anyone can make that argument.

I love your posts. No homo.

tiger0330

Legend
I am sure D'Antoni was asked to resign (really fired) based on how he spent his day before the announcement. He was probably called to the office and told they would not be renewing his contract, some players were complaining about him and it would be best if he resigned immediately or he would be fired. That's the way it looks to me.

D?Antoni put the Knicks through a morning workout Wednesday, seemed in good spirits and said players were, too. He acknowledged the media frenzy around the sinking team but believed the Knicks would handle it.
?You battle against it and I think we?re cohesive enough to battle through this and we expect to do that,? he said.
He was preparing to coach the Knicks against the Portland Trail Blazers later Wednesday, but Mike Woodson is expected to handle that role instead.