Report: D'antoni wanted to trade Melo for Deron Williams

Wargames

Starter
If the Dwight opt in is true this deal would of just saved the Nets from the crapstorm they are about to enter with Deron having no reason to stay. Never trade with the enemy especially after they're the reason the Knicks had to give up so much by interfering in the Melo trade. I hope they get hurt now as karma (and because honestly that stadium is going to destroy brooklyn's traffic forever)

Also I am surprised no one talks about the fact that this trade rings of desperation, you just got out of linsanity and barons healthy but you want to trade for a third PG?

Sage

Rotation player
Are we surprised? D'Antoni's wet dream is to have a roster of 15 point guards who can shoot the 3. Doesn't shock me at all he wanted this trade.

fender0577

Rotation player
There's also the reasonable middle ground, who respect D'Antoni as a good coach but not a fit for our roster or the fans in NY. New York Knicks basketball reputation is built on hard-nosed, hustle, energy and most of all defense. MDA did not bring those things to the team at least not in enough quality/quantity to appease the fanbase.

Dolan is a jackass, Melo sucks this year and trading him for Deron would be freakin awesome... But MDA needed to go.
well said my friend, well said.

Eman

Benchwarmer
If Dwight winds up staying with Orlando, Deron ain't staying with Jersey. Dallas maybe?

mafra

Legend
And what happens in if we deal Melo to Nets for Deron, he leaves after the season for DAL, and Howard ends up with Anthony in Brooklyn. Amar'e's kness then blowout, and NYK is now a lottery team again.

If this is true ...all the more reason I'm glad he's out of here. A bad move to admit something like this. No coach in the league would ever think about trading such a player...especially when the coach already has that position filled. smh

blahwoop

Benchwarmer
lets be honest. if the knicks didn't trade the whole entire team for Melo, the Knicks would've been able to trade for D Will at the deadline and he would've signed an extension in NY. In hindsight, Melo was a bad trade because we could've had Deron Williams instead. If you guys are real knicks fan instead of melo lovers, you know that would've been the smarter trade.
Got nothing against Melo but I was damn pissed when the Knicks got robbed and to add insult to injury the very next day the Nets traded for Deron Williams for a couple of scrubs.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I would gladly trade Melo and Lin for Deron Williams in a heartbeat.

Mike D'Antoni could probably win 60 games with a Deron-Amar'e pick and roll, that's probably why he wanted that trade.

That's exactly what he wanted, instead of actually having to coach all 12 players. SMH

Once again proof that you either fit into his system or you don't. He has no room for creating based on personnel.

Wargames

Starter
lets be honest. if the knicks didn't trade the whole entire team for Melo, the Knicks would've been able to trade for D Will at the deadline and he would've signed an extension in NY. In hindsight, Melo was a bad trade because we could've had Deron Williams instead. If you guys are real knicks fan instead of melo lovers, you know that would've been the smarter trade.
Got nothing against Melo but I was damn pissed when the Knicks got robbed and to add insult to injury the very next day the Nets traded for Deron Williams for a couple of scrubs.

No one is denying that would of been the much better trade at the time. I still think we should of bent the nuggets over and raped them in the melo deal but we didn't and getting Deron now would of been a bad move. It would of given the Nets a star player with a 4 year contract to build around and would of meant adding Deron and hoping he doesn't just leave the knicks.

Also even if it was a S&T Deron would of given the Knicks 3 PG's and it was unlikely the Nets would of thrown a pick in the deal due to Melo's play lately...... hell Knowing the knicks they would of been the guys adding the pick to sweeten the deal.

I am an avid believer that the knicks need to avoid making trades for a season or two and build the assets they have because the whole league tries to rape them.