Mike Woodson to lean on stars

Abxtraxion

Benchwarmer
Still not playing to his strengths, so it's the same situation. Asking a player who isn't a point forward...to play point forward, is not playing to his strengths.

It's not a situation where people are making excuses, it's a situation where we know what Carmelo does well, and he was not afforded the opportunity to do those things...because of the schematics of the offense.

It's like taking Dwight Howard out of the paint, and wondering why he isn't performing. Well...he's a center, he operates in the paint...if he's not in the paint...he's not playing to his strengths.

When Melo isolates, he needs movement off the ball to create driving angles, passing angles, etc.

IMG_0361.jpg

What is the rest of the team doing right there? Why is everyone looking at Melo? Notice the shot clock, 12 seconds have elapsed, so that's not a quick, heat check shot.

12 seconds went by, Melo got the ball behind the 3-pt line....why is he still behind the 3 point line 12 seconds into the possession? Why is everyone else is on the same side of the court, save for Bibby who's in the corner.

If your analysis of that play is that "he should have hit the shot" then we're not even reading the same book, so we're definitely not on the same page.

Lmfao. That picture is so disappointing.

I die a little inside whenever I saw those dead end iso's by Carmelo. I'm not saying it's not going to happen with Mike Woodson, but someone would have to specifically point out a play to me that looks like that one during this 3 game win streak with Woodson as the coach.

Den318

Benchwarmer
Lmfao. That picture is so disappointing.

I die a little inside whenever I saw those dead end iso's by Carmelo. I'm not saying it's not going to happen with Mike Woodson, but someone would have to specifically point out a play to me that looks like that one during this 3 game win streak with Woodson as the coach.

Hey, he has a 30% chance of that shot going in hahaha. He will never be a team player deep inside. I hope Woodson scared him a little into being a team player. His shots are still off the last 3 games, but at least he is playing team ball. I hope when we are behind in games, he doesn't turn on his Hero/Iso/Selfish mode.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
These are the posts I'm talking about...what's going on around here?

Melo was asked to play point forward...but he's not a point forward. Then when Lin emerged and he got back, he was asked to space the court by hanging out on the perimeter, near the 3-point line, and be ready to catch and shoot.

Not one off-ball screen was set for him, he had no plays called for him in the post. When he got the ball, Isoed, and observed the floor as he likes to do...no one was moving, because it wasn't the play call, the play is for him to catch and shoot. He stood there looking at everyone, and everyone stood there looking at him, at that point in time they're expecting to either walk or run back up the court off of a made basket or transition D.

MDA looked at this, and said "shoot the ball, come on, lets go lets go lets go lets go" as opposed to "maybe I should work some scripted isolations into the game plan for Melo."

Post-purchase rationalization assumes that we've never seen Melo at Syracuse, Denver, or with Team USA, and we can't identify the strengths and weaknesses of his game.

Ask yourself this: maybe some people were constantly rationalizing his being misused in this offense.

I'm cool with those who question his effort, defensive awareness (these silly fouls have to stop), and I guess you can throw body language in there...I dunno how much his teammates are saying "god damn...Melo is sagging his shoulders dawg..." but I guess it's a bad look to have in front of fans.

Good post him having the ball at the start of the season was also putting him at another uncomfortable situation but on the opposite side of the spectrum, he needs to get the ball in his sweet spots and allowed to go to work often and thats whats probably gonna be happening now.

rogeryy

Benchwarmer
BUT, wasn't Melo playing PG before he got hurt? So he was the focus of the offensive/running the offensive, right? And how did that turn out? So are we saying that he's been unhappy ever since he got here? Hmm... Could this whole thing just be a case of the post-purchase rationalization?

Good point! I had that wonder too.
I'd say MDA did the right thing to stick with the "working system". The problem was, he didn't have the power to change Melo's mind. And that should be done. So it was bound to happen (MDA's leaving).

I can only say, his sacrifice is worth it. And meant to be. Whatever it takes to bring the players together. Whatever it takes to give Melo time, space, and excuse to adjust to the fact that there's a rising star in the Knicks.

Den318

Benchwarmer
Good point! I had that wonder too.
I'd say MDA did the right thing to stick with the "working system". The problem was, he didn't have the power to change Melo's mind. And that should be done. So it was bound to happen (MDA's leaving).

I can only say, his sacrifice is worth it. And meant to be. Whatever it takes to bring the players together. Whatever it takes to give Melo time, space, and excuse to adjust to the fact that there's a rising star in the Knicks.

Melo is shooting .400 for the season. If he shoots less than 50% tonight (which he will certainly do), he will be under 40% for the year. He still took the most shots on the team (5-15 last night). To his credit, he is finally playing D and hustle at the other end of the court. The last 4 games are all blow outs. He can miss as much shot as he want and wouldn't affect the game. If the last 4 games are very close game, his poor shooting will hurt the team and he will hear it from the fans again.
I hope Melo knows this is not his year and stop forcing up shots or trying to be the man. This is not his team.

What "unheard of languages"?
The alien dialect that was popping up around here. I think we're safe now since Woodson took over... it seems the invasion was successfully adverted and the D'Ant supporters were beamed up and returned to their home world...they are no where to be found. Our species shall now live on in peace.

rogeryy

Benchwarmer
The alien dialect that was popping up around here. I think we're safe now since Woodson took over... it seems the invasion was successfully adverted and the D'Ant supporters were beamed up and returned to their home world...they are no where to be found. Our species shall now live on in peace.

Thanks.
You put it like a novel. :)

BananaSauce

Benchwarmer
Melo is shooting .400 for the season. If he shoots less than 50% tonight (which he will certainly do), he will be under 40% for the year. He still took the most shots on the team (5-15 last night). To his credit, he is finally playing D and hustle at the other end of the court. The last 4 games are all blow outs. He can miss as much shot as he want and wouldn't affect the game. If the last 4 games are very close game, his poor shooting will hurt the team and he will hear it from the fans again.
I hope Melo knows this is not his year and stop forcing up shots or trying to be the man. This is not his team.

weren't some of that numbers were offensive rebound put back which led to ft.
aslong, he gets to the line and makes the ft. i'm fine.

Den318

Benchwarmer
weren't some of that numbers were offensive rebound put back which led to ft.
aslong, he gets to the line and makes the ft. i'm fine.

He did a lot of good things the last 4 games when his shots are not falling. I just hope Woodson doesn't automatically call his number when the game is on the line in the 4th QT. His shots are not falling the WHOLE YEAR. If we are behind with 5 secs to go, i rather Amare, Lin, JR, Novak take the last shot before Melo unless he is HOT that night.