Love the winning streak, but why...

munco

Benchwarmer
This 3 game winning streak feels great, but I can't help but wonder why this energy and effort was missing before. It's obvious guys were capable at playing with this intensity but were not. Credit is definitely due to Woodson but it's not like he's even gotten to really instill his sets yet. I'm happy but I do feel a bit frustrated because we could've been playing at this level all year.

He's getting them ready.. getting them motivated... which is what coaches are supposed to do.. Plain and simple Dantoni didn't do that. Notice the times Woodson scolded Amare and Fields for not getting back on defense or blowing an assignment? Accountability will make you do crazy things... like staying sharp and focused for 48 minutes. Because you know if you slip up you're getting benched..

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
He's getting them ready.. getting them motivated... which is what coaches are supposed to do.. Plain and simple Dantoni didn't do that. Notice the times Woodson scolded Amare and Fields for not getting back on defense or blowing an assignment? Accountability will make you do crazy things... like staying sharp and focused for 48 minutes. Because you know if you slip up you're getting benched..
This

-he's motivating them

-Communicating with them

-He's getting them to listen, He's not scared to give our stars a earful. Unlike Dantoni who would never yell at Melo or stat for their flaws and rather praise them & tell them their great in post game interviews, when their clearly not playing "great"

-Making them feel like a TEAM, getting everyone involved im not a fan of the VERY QUICK substitutions especially if someone is hot, but i guess it works out for the better as the games progress.

-Calls timeouts weather were up or down he calls timeouts regardless. I dont see how anyone could appreciate Dantoni only calling timeouts when we lose the lead... only to have his players looking at a Marked up game plan with nothing being said at all. "besides clapping his hands and saying "lets go". Seriously if you were a player how would you feel about that.

-Yells at them when there doing something wrong "mainly on defense"

-Woodson has them getting it done defensively and wont hesitate to sit a player when he's not giving it his all out there "as we saw with landry fields"

Basically Woodson is doing something Dantoni was not doing and thats being a coach
& dont sit here and tell me the offense is the same blah blah blah COACHING COMES DOWN TO WAY MORE WHATS GOING ON OFFENSIVELY. It also comes down to showing the players you actually CARE.

Woodson is holding Stat & Melo accountable for what goes on in the locker room & on the floor
, this why you see more defense being played by Amare & this is why you see a more focused Carmelo.

Last edited:

nuckles2k2

Superstar
This

-he's motivating them

-Communicating with them

-He's getting them to listen, He's not scared to give our stars a earful. Unlike Dantoni who would never yell at Melo or stat for their flaws and rather praise them & tell them their great in post game interviews, when their clearly not playing "great"

-Making them feel like a TEAM, getting everyone involved im not a fan of the VERY QUICK substitutions especially if someone is hot, but i guess it works out for the better as the games progress.

-Calls timeouts weather were up or down he calls timeouts regardless. I dont see how anyone could appreciate Dantoni only calling timeouts when we lose the lead... only to have his players looking at a Marked up game plan with nothing being said at all. "besides clapping his hands and saying "lets go". Seriously if you were a player how would you feel about that.

-Yells at them when there doing something wrong "mainly on defense"

-Woodson has them getting it done defensively and wont hesitate to sit a player when he's not giving it his all out there "as we saw with landry fields"

Basically Woodson is doing something Dantoni was not doing and thats being a coach
& dont sit here and tell me the offense is the same blah blah blah COACHING COMES DOWN TO WAY MORE WHATS GOING ON OFFENSIVELY. It also comes down to showing the players you actually CARE.

Woodson is holding Stat & Melo accountable for what goes on in the locker room & on the floor
, this why you see more defense being played by Amare & this is why you see a more focused Carmelo.

Great post right here.

Wargames

Starter
The fact of the matter is he is being a coach and being the leader..... I've said a few times that the best coaches lead their team. The media was trying to make the Star's be the leaders and blah blah blah (seriously though the media loves the Knicks being dysfunctional).

Now the coach is the leader. Woodson is doing ok too. He seems to have improved offensively from Atlanta (though that could be the improved roster from there as well) while still drilling defense that happens to look a lot better than what he ran I Atlanta as well. It makes me wonder if he took ACCOUNTABILITY for Atlanta's playoff woes and improved upon himself as a coach since then.

CLYDE

Benchwarmer
All here have made good points.

In summary:

1. Coach was a real legit NBA player.
2. Coach demands respect.
3. Coach gives respect tp players.
4. Treats them like men.

It's simple human nature, people respond to respectful authority and someone who takes the time to help you be better.

Example: I like when coach said about Lin, "I'm going to teach him to be a better PG". D'antoni just put Lin on the floor and hoped Lin would do something to save his job. :peace:

fender0577

Rotation player
These suckas are scared of him, everytime they show him on the sidelines, he looks like he's ready to fight one of his players.He almost made Fields cry last night, it was a thing of beauty, GETTEM WOODY.:peace:

KBlack25

Starter
All here have made good points.

In summary:

1. Coach was a real legit NBA player.
2. Coach demands respect.
3. Coach gives respect tp players.
4. Treats them like men.

It's simple human nature, people respond to respectful authority and someone who takes the time to help you be better.

Example: I like when coach said about Lin, "I'm going to teach him to be a better PG". D'antoni just put Lin on the floor and hoped Lin would do something to save his job. :peace:

fender0577 said:
These suckas are scared of him, everytime they show him on the sidelines, he looks like he's ready to fight one of his players.He almost made Fields cry last night, it was a thing of beauty, GETTEM WOODY.

Which is it?

The bottom line is these players have no place else to hide - Woodson has done a good job and the players look motivated b/c (in my opinion) they realize eyeballs will be on THEM (and not the coach) if they start not giving like a certain Mr. Anthony.

I just hope it's not a honeymoon effect and this actually is sustainable. The way Woodson left Atlanta, I'm not sure.

petescud

Starter
Respect and being the better coach. Can't believe guys were still saying Dantoni is a great coach when you have a line up that should be in the top10 every week losing to the Bobcats, Raptors, Hornets...and close games with better teams like Chicago and Boston (bet we lost 4 more games that way not finishing the game). Woody more a players coach. Dantoni had his favs and the rest of the guys could care less how they played for him (they wanted him fired)

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Playing Better

There is no question that the Knicks are playing with much better intensity and effectiveness on both sides of the ball in the last three games than in most of the previous games. But it is certainly not because our "stars", Melo and Amare', have been released from the confines of the D'Antoni system. Neither has been particularly special in any of the three games. We are playing "team" ball and they are contributing.

Nyknicks141

Benchwarmer
There is no question that the Knicks are playing with much better intensity and effectiveness on both sides of the ball in the last three games than in most of the previous games. But it is certainly not because our "stars", Melo and Amare', have been released from the confines of the D'Antoni system. Neither has been particularly special in any of the three games. We are playing "team" ball and they are contributing.

This, 100%.

No one player has carried the team on this run. Everyone stepped up their game and thats why we are playing this well. If we keep this up we are unbeatable.

Den318

Benchwarmer
It's Woodson's look!!! Everyone is freaking scare of that face. Would you want to screw something up and have his face yelling at your? MDA looks like a pussy. He is scared to yell at our 2 superstars. They wouldn't be scare of him if he did anyway.

If Melo and Stats play hard like the last 3 games, MDA would still be here. I think Melo just hated MDA so he doesn't play hard for him. That lead to the whole team not playing well. The last 3 games, looks like Linsanity basketball to me. Everyone hustle and play hard. Hope they can keep it up.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Woodson >>>> Antoni

There's the answer. Woodson has FORCED CarJELLO CANThony and Atari WHACKmire to pass the fugging ball and play some defense. Antoni was letting JELLO and SHAT jack up shots, and he didn't hold them accountable for making their teammates better.

Since Woodson took over, Anthony is attempting over 6 fewer field goals per game, and Stoudemire is blocking shots.

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
Woodson >>>> Antoni

There's the answer. Woodson has FORCED CarJELLO CANThony and Atari WHACKmire to pass the fugging ball and play some defense. Antoni was letting JELLO and SHAT jack up shots, and he didn't hold them accountable for making their teammates better.

Since Woodson took over, Anthony is attempting over 6 fewer field goals per game, and Stoudemire is blocking shots.

I don't think Woodson is better than MDA. We never really got to see how MDA's system would work out if Melo had bought into it.

Since Woodson took over, he had changed things on offense a bit. We are seeing early handoff from Lin to Melo. On some plays, Melo is taking the point. This strategy has alleviated the burden of creating on every play for Lin and reduced Lin's TO numbers. Smart move by Woodson.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I don't think Woodson is better than MDA. We never really got to see how MDA's system would work out if Melo had bought into it.

Since Woodson took over, he had changed things on offense a bit. We are seeing early handoff from Lin to Melo. On some plays, Melo is taking the point. This strategy has alleviated the burden of creating on every play for Lin and reduced Lin's TO numbers. Smart move by Woodson.

Antoni sucks. Carmelo Anthony did buy into Antoni's system. Look at his numbers under Antoni from last season.

The problem is that Anthony and Stoudemire both lost a step offensively, and Antoni refused to adjust.

Woodson understands this, so he wants Anthony and Stoudemire to pass the ball and play good defense to make up for their reduced offensive output.

Antoni just wanted the team to keep shooting, and he didn't want to hurt Anthony and Stoudemire's feelings by having them take less shots. Woodson doesn't care about egos, and he's holding everyone accountable.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
But part of a good coach is his ability to get players to buy into his system. D'Antoni, for whatever reason, was unable to do that with Carmelo Anthony, so he's not the right coach for the team.

smokes

Huge Member
Antoni sucks. Carmelo Anthony did buy into Antoni's system. Look at his numbers under Antoni from last season.

The problem is that Anthony and Stoudemire both lost a step offensively, and Antoni refused to adjust.

Woodson understands this, so he wants Anthony and Stoudemire to pass the ball and play good defense to make up for their reduced offensive output.

Antoni just wanted the team to keep shooting, and he didn't want to hurt Anthony and Stoudemire's feelings by having them take less shots. Woodson doesn't care about egos, and he's holding everyone accountable.

That's not really true. We were not playing D'Antoni ball at all last year from what I remember, it was all slow half-court shit with Billups/Melo hence why STAT looked completely lost post-trade.

Melo has been taking less shots but a lot of that has been his drastically reduced playing time due to the two blowouts. I'm sure we are gonna see games soon, when our bench doesn't produce, that Melo/STAT step up and take 20 shots and make 10.

red32

Benchwarmer
But part of a good coach is his ability to get players to buy into his system. D'Antoni, for whatever reason, was unable to do that with Carmelo Anthony, so he's not the right coach for the team.

In any other level, this is probably a yes, but in NBA, the star players always trump the coaches at the end (not saying this is the case here ;)). Also you have to factor the owners/management. In professional sports, it's not that simple. Even with college sports, money always comes first.