Knicks @ Craptors - Friday March 23 @ 7:00pm. 6 in a row!

+ Rep Poll: How many blocks will STAT have tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

unloopme

Benchwarmer
Did you watch the game? I wouldn't be so confident that we're going to beat the Pistons tomorrow even if we only play half as bad as today. It's like the Knicks got comfortable and forgot everything they learned during the 5-game winning streak. Their effort on D and rebounding was bad as well. If the Raptors weren't cold in the first half we would of lost by 40+.

What made me the most mad was the tweets that came from the players before the game. Chandler posted a video of him scaring Stat and joking around. Shumpert tweeted that they all we're having the most fun EVER in Toronto. Melo posted a picture of him in a hoodie to support the Florida shooting victim. None of their heads were in the game and it showed from the very start.
Smoke something, bruv. Helps me :smokin:.
Nothing there tonight. Not happy, but gotta move on.
Indeed.

Last edited:

Whosaidthat

Benchwarmer
I thought today was a gimme, I come home from doing shit and wham, we lost! And I read the thread, what the hell. Is there a video of this game, I got to see this!

CoolClyde

...What worries me about this loss is our inability to play against agressive zone defense. Woodson should look at this game as a chance to instill a few offensive moves against zone D. Otherwise lots of teams would be exploiting this.

excellent assessment LookGrabPull... btw, is your name Dick? ;)

we've seen the Knicks have problems with zone defense before, let's hope
coach Wood Son figures it out sooner than later.

ball movement is key, hitting some outside shots helps.
didn't see much of either tonite.

Wargames

Starter
the whole problem with the raptors zone is the knick have to be able to shoot to beat that zone and then add in the refs refusing to blow the whistle when guys got whacks driving to the hoop.... well it was a lost. worse part is the raptors are bums.

I think the knicks need to work on their shooting that was a problem all season but with the guys the knicks have on their team they need to be able to shoot.

Either way on to the next one.

kinein

Benchwarmer
Need the Dragon to wake. Team needs to - get Lin involved when it comes to scoring - to open it up for everyone else. Nothing like inspiration of a teammate, and having that teammate - take some pressure off you - so you can just get comfortable and dominate. Also when Lin scores: HIS ENTIRE TEAM IS HAPPY. GENUINELY HAPPY. People play better when they are laughing, smiling and having a good time.

* Fields, Smith and Shumpert combined for 17 points
If Lin can drop 38 on Kobe Bryant & the Lakers, he can do it against the Raptors.
* The guy CAN score, he finds a way. Needs to be pushed.

* Lin shut down Calderon. Calderon's 2pts came when Lin was on bench.
- surprisingly not many people noticed this.

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
Need the Dragon to wake. Team needs to - get Lin involved when it comes to scoring - to open it up for everyone else. Nothing like inspiration of a teammate, and having that teammate - take some pressure off you - so you can just get comfortable and dominate. Also when Lin scores: HIS ENTIRE TEAM IS HAPPY. GENUINELY HAPPY. People play better when they are laughing, smiling and having a good time.

Are you sugesting that Knicks played like crap tonight because Lin wasn't the focal point of offense? Lin missed a lot of open looks tonight like everyone else. He wasn't creating on offense. He was part of the problems tonight.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Are you sugesting that Knicks played like crap tonight because Lin wasn't the focal point of offense? Lin missed a lot of open looks tonight like everyone else. He wasn't creating on offense. He was part of the problems tonight.

Yup. As I said, nothing was there. Not a game worthy to dwell on. With the talent we have on our team, we can't panic.

lookgrabpull

Benchwarmer
Also Calderon can not guard shit. Lin should have exploited this. Looks like in this game everyone was out of focus, including woodson. I hope this was an exception and not something that starts another slippery slope of "L"s.

tkrieger

Benchwarmer

* Fields, Smith and Shumpert combined for 17 points
If Lin can drop 38 on Kobe Bryant & the Lakers, he can do it against the Raptors.
* The guy CAN score, he finds a way. Needs to be pushed.

* Lin shut down Calderon. Calderon's 2pts came when Lin was on bench.
- surprisingly not many people noticed this.
Since Lin has been matched up against the other teams' starting PGs, starting with Brandon Jennings at Milwaukee, not one of them has had a good shooting game. Not one. Not even Derrick Rose. (Too bad he wasn't matched up on Rondo when he had that monster game. Lin allowed only two Calderon FGs in the game at MSG.) This was a reason why teams have become fixated on setting screens on Lin, some of them resulting in offensive fouls.

For a while, I've felt like the only one who thought Lin's defensive play bordered on phenomenal....... It seems like a few others are now noticing. (That forced air ball from Brandon Jennings at the end of the Milwaukee game was one of the best individual defensive plays I've ever seen. Lin forced an air ball and blocked a 3-pt shot in the 4th qtr of the Sixers game.)

But this raises the question: Why does Woodson send Lin to the bench in late half defensive situations? (D'Antoni did this too.) I'd only do this if Lin had at least two fouls at the end of the half.

And finally, too often we run plays for a Melo shot, and the shots don't go down. Or fails to finish on the drives to the basket. How many more times do we try this before we realize Melo just might not have it anymore? When he's playing well, he's actually passing the ball, but his shooting has become too unreliable to give him the lion's share of the FG attempts. (At least we're starting to see signs of life with Stoudemire.)

Last edited:

Uncle Robo

Benchwarmer
The team had an off night. Woodson kept Melo and Lin off the floor for too long. They should have started the second half.

The sky is not falling.
The Knicks are 5-1 in the first 6 games under Woodson. If the Knicks only lose once every 6 games, we're in good shape.

wian

Benchwarmer
I put it down to an off night. No team can will every game. We had a dirty, dirty night with Turnovers, Poor Shooting, Poor Refs from what i have been reading etc. You cant win em all i suppose !

Phil Jackson was quoted saying when the Bulls won 72 games in a season that "We want to go on winning streaks , winning 5 - 6 in a row, and then when you lose a game, put it behind you , forget about it and get on another mini winning streak straight away. "

This is a good philosophy to have. Win 5 - 6 in a row, eventually you will have a bad game and lose but put it behind you and get on with business straight away !

And this is what we have to do. Come back hard and beat Pistons and the Bucks in the next two and get back on another winning streak !

Cheers and Good Night New York City !

Since Lin has been matched up against the other teams' starting PGs, starting with Brandon Jennings at Milwaukee, not one of them has had a good shooting game. Not one. Not even Derrick Rose. (Too bad he wasn't matched up on Rondo when he had that monster game. Lin allowed only two Calderon FGs in the game at MSG.) This was a reason why teams have become fixated on setting screens on Lin, some of them resulting in offensive fouls.

For a while, I've felt like the only one who thought Lin's defensive play bordered on phenomenal....... It seems like a few others are now noticing. (That forced air ball from Brandon Jennings at the end of the Milwaukee game was one of the best individual defensive plays I've ever seen. Lin forced an air ball and blocked a 3-pt shot in the 4th qtr of the Sixers game.)

But this raises the question: Why does Woodson send Lin to the bench in late half defensive situations? (D'Antoni did this too.) I'd only do this if Lin had at least two fouls at the end of the half.

And finally, too often we run plays for a Melo shot, and the shots don't go down. Or fails to finish on the drives to the basket. How many more times do we try this before we realize Melo just might not have it anymore? When he's playing well, he's actually passing the ball, but his shooting has become too unreliable to give him the lion's share of the FG attempts. (At least we're starting to see signs of life with Stoudemire.)

Dude Melo is 27 not 37, he is one of the best midrange shooters of this decade that can't hit them this season because of his Conditioning and injuries.

Melo however is not the same player but far from "losing it".

What a terrible performance by the Knicks, played like shit on both ends of the floor.

Couldn't make a ****ing shot on offense and allowed too many layups, dunks and free throws on defense.

Is the burst of energy from D'Antoni's resignment gone and they're back to their normal -shit- level?

If they want to be a top team they gotta bring it every damn night, especially against bad teams like Toronto....

by bye Atlantic Division Title. Home court is gone, we gave it away last night.

kinein

Benchwarmer

Nope. I'm suggesting that - with everyone cold on the shot - the Knicks needed to shift back to Lin and do it earlier instead of play him for 20 solid minutes. Lin has a clutch gene and performs will under pressure. How many times did we come back from 15 pts down, 17pts down, 20pts down. In the past? That was when Lin was playing 40+ minutes.

* I also suggested that - the day-off was a mistake, that they should have had shooting practice/shooting drills.
* Taking only 9 shots and going 3/9 wouldn't be as bad as : all 3 shooting guards combining for 17 points.

If everyone is cold ~ you go with the guys that are most clutch. Clutch as in - the start making points happen, either on their own or through teammates.

Example: Boston Celtics.

Lin loses ball then steals it and drives through 4 celtics to score -then hits 3pter. This in turn inspires teammates, fires them up, distracts celtics. Melo then hits 2 shots and they end up +3 toward the end of the game.

The Lin - Novak pair has the highest scoring statistic of any combo on the knick squad. When Novak finally emerged onto the NBA stage for the Knicks - it was because Lin was looking for Novak - and started feeding Novak once he got hot; ignoring other teammates to dish to Novak because he knew Novak had the hot hand at that point.

I think you misunderstood my post. I was stating a - what they should have done to pull out an ugly win.

I have stated here and elsewhere that everyone had an off-night.
* I have also gone into detail explaining how Lin was more or less excluded from having an impact on the game - the premier minutes bulk of the middle - were given to Baron Davis.
* I have also stated the problems seen from/in BD from the 76ers game - were further magnified in the Raptors game.
* Woodson should have taken BD off the floor faster - like he did in the 76ers game.
* If you re-watch the 76ers game and focus on BD and his impact on the team and then the raptors - you'll understand.
* Hopefully BD can get his chemistry back together, set-the-ton for 2nd unit to move the ball better or instead start the 1st quarter with melo and amare, and work on his temper
- But as I have stated several times in the past, the offense starts to stagnate with Lin off the floor - its not necessarily about him shooting as much as - 1. his defense - which I have gone to some lengths to note many times 2. his ball movement 3. aggression and drawing opposing teams coverage 4. his ability to crush the spirit of the opposing team (see 76ers give up video) 5. he creates shots for teammates 6. he looks for the hot hand 7. he is fearless 8. huge clutch gene etc etc etc :D 9. the guy just steps it up as the game progresses, as he gets comfortable. 10. he figures it out - if given the chance over the course of a game - giving him maybe 20 minutes of which mainly come from 1st quarter

Last edited:

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
IMO the main question at this point is whether we're able to build another winning streak or we lost the momentum; if I didn't know this team I'd probably say "it's just one game", but I remember what happened after our W7 streak earlier this season. Only this season we lost at least 9 games (very "winnable" ones) to [then] < .500 teams including very shameful performances against Cleveland, Charlotte and Toronto. I did some math and checked the Bulls results, they lost only one game of this kind (against sliding down Portland). I have no idea how do we want to win the Atlantic Division if we're losing against definately beatable teams. I hope it was only one game, one-shit-happens-game, but I won't be surprised if we hit our win-loss-win-loss routine and then finish the season weak, striving to seal the 8th seed.

knickscity

Benchwarmer
What a terrible performance by the Knicks, played like shit on both ends of the floor.

Couldn't make a ****ing shot on offense and allowed too many layups, dunks and free throws on defense.

Is the burst of energy from D'Antoni's resignment gone and they're back to their normal -shit- level?

If they want to be a top team they gotta bring it every damn night, especially against bad teams like Toronto....

by bye Atlantic Division Title. Home court is gone, we gave it away last night.

Let see what happens tonite, and see if it was just a fluke team loss or an actual problem.

knickscity

Benchwarmer
Talent never was the problem. We had winning streaks before. I guess Jeffries is the missing piece.
Jeffries sure would have stopped some of those parades in the lane.

But overall even if Jeffries had played, the team just wasn't in the game.

Watching all those turnovers in the first quarter, I knew it was a long night, but still was only down by 3, even with all that garbage, but the infamous 3rd quarter cemented the game.

They just didn't have it, almost like their minds were someplace else.