Trayvon Martin

Pretty sure everyone here has either heard about this case or following it closely. I didn't see a thread so I decided to make one. What are you guys thoughts on this? I get angrier ever second I think about it knowing this murder is still free smh

TakMan

Rotation player
Ah just saw your thread about this. I've posted my reaction to the Heat's take on the matter in the NBA section. What we have here is the cold blooded murder of a 17 year old boy by an over zealous racist, who appears to be covered for his actions by Florida law, and may well avoid prosecution. The U,S has not progressed in so many ways when it comes to the treatment and perception of working class minority groups.

iSaYughh

Starter
^ I don't know the latest facts of what's happened on this, but isn't Zimmerman a "minority", and working class himself?

There does seem to be a legit law that, tragically, might be able to shelter Zimmerman from being convicted in court, either way. And he could slip through the cracks like too many criminals/murderers do.

The thing is, by actual law, irrespective of the crime's circumstance (let alone the race of someone)....there are going to be lawyers who by law are forced to defend Zimmerman as well as they possibly can. And if it means bringing up a law on the books that can be wielded (eg manipulated) into letting Zimmerman slip through the cracks, and get sheltered by law and what legally must constitute guilt vs non guilt (different from innocence), and reasonable doubt, it will happen.

It looks like Zimmerman didn't follow the law, though, when he was told by cops not to continue any "pursuit" or whatever, and he obviously did. I think this got revealed recently? Could be a linchpin in it getting taken to court, if so.

But the 911 call where it's believed to be Zimmerman's voice, while he is on the ground, and yelling for help or some shit, is going to be a major obstacle in a jury rendering a guilty verdict if this goes to court.

IMO, I think Zimmerman went after the kid, Zimmerman was an overzealous asshole out of control w/ this neighberhood watch stuff and watched Death Wish too many times. He went after Trayvon, Trayvon defended himself to some reasonable degree at one point, and then Zimmerman just up and shot him...or, Trayvon likely got off to walk away, and then Zimmerman shot.

Benchwarmer
This was a horrible tragedy! I feel so badly for Trayvon's parents, family
and friends.

When I first read about this case, I was sure it was racially motivated.
There are some who say the murdered, George Zimmerman, was not a
racist. I don't know. What I do know is that the Sanford Police Department
did not fully investigate this case.

He was advised by the 911 dispatcher NOT to pursue Trayvon, but he
did anyway.

I have to go, but I have much to say about this case and will be back
to finish my post.

Benchwarmer
I would like to think that justice will prevail, but we all know
that sometimes it doesn't. I hope Trayvon's parents, family,
and the community he grew up in, will take this tragic
experience, and do something positive with it.

I hope people of all colors realize that not ALL people are
racist or haters. I hope that those who carry the weight
of racism on their shoulders live their lives not with bitterness,
but pursuing all the good that life can offer.

I am not black or white, and I've experienced racism in my
life, but I will not allow other people to bring me down.

None of us know what really happened that night, we can only
do the right thing in our lives. Not hurt other beings or wish
them harm. Just live our own lives as positively as we can.

2665529a3tq8ox8wf.gif