Dennis Horner

finestrg

Rotation player
6'9" 230 lb, 24-year-old NBDL PF currently playing for the Springfield Armor. I'm not gonna come on here and pretend like I know this guy's game real well because I don't, but just looking over some D-League boxscores, his stat line from the other night jumped out at me right away:

3/27/12, Springfield vs. the Maine:
36 mins, 29 pts on 10-15 FGs (3-4 from 3), 6-8 FTs, 15 rebs, 2 stls, only 1 TO.

Game before that, 21 & 11 btw (both wins).

His season numbers for Springfield are very decent:

25 gms (20 starts), 31 mins, 17.0 ppg, 47% FG (37.3% on 3s), 86% FT, 8.5 rpg

---------------------------------

Played 4 years at NC State and went undrafted in 2010 (his game reminds me of fellow NC State big man and current DL stretch PF Brandon Costner, yet another guy we should be looking at right now as a cheap big man roster addition). Actually made the Nets' 15-man squad outta training camp this yr and played in 5 games for them before being cut (pretty obvious that Avery Johnson and his staff saw something in him)...Looks like he can shoot it real well with range, put it on the floor a little, post up a little bit and rebound. Kinda reminds me of Steve Novak (not quite as pure a stroke but still very solid, definitely looks more mobile with a better handle, also looks to be a superior rebounder. Maybe something closer to Josh Harrellson -- not quite as big but both have the solid jumper (Horner's looks more advanced -- Jorts never even used his at Kentucky under Calipari) and there's the same hard-nosed style of play and ability to rebound the basketball and play inside a little bit.

With Amar'e out 2-4 weeks, I don't think it'd be a terrible move to waive or buy out Billy Walker, who doesn't factor in with this team anymore, and add another big man. I like the look of this kid -- he could be a possibility. Of course he wouldn't replace STAT and everything big fella brings to the table but what he could do is give us another capable-looking big to help lock it down until he came back...I see a guy both our PGs can play pick and pop with to great effect...Looks like he can knock down open looks, help out on the boards and play some good team defense, all pluses..And make his FTs (unlike Novak, this guy looks like he can put it on the floor and get to the line a little). Looks like he could be a real nice role player for us...Hey, if nothing else, I say bring him in now and let's see what he can do while Amar'e's out -- maybe he could be a replacement option next year for Novak just in case we run into trouble bringing Steve back. Here's some video -- he looks a lot bigger (wider) to me in the Net clip than in the earlier college highlight reel:

finestrg

Rotation player
OMG..Just reading it now. LOL..Well, there goes that idea. There are still plenty of capable big men out there that we could target for frontline help at a good price. Nice move by NJ btw..Looks like the kid can play...If I'm the Nets -- right before this latest 10-day contract expires, I re-up Horner for the rest of the year and give him some extended development time. Couldn't hurt -- that team's not playing for anything meaningful anyway. If Jersey lets him go again a 2nd time, I'm interested. And I could be interested this off-season too, depending on some things: Amar'e's health, provided Jeffries isn't asked back, if we encounter any problems bringing Novak back for next year, etc...Horner looks like one of those late bloomers that could be a real find. Just remembering what Shawne Williams did for us -- this dude might turn out to be a better player than Shawne... I'll be tuning into some Net games now to get a closer look at him.

Last edited:

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
I highly doubt we make any more moves with such little games left, we are probably just going to wait until jefferies is healthy