Bring Amare off the bench..

I think we should seriously consider doing this. It allows them each to play their game free of feeling like they're stepping on the other's toes. They can both be on the court at the end of games during tight game situations but I think they should be on seperate units for the majority of the game..

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Even if Woodson thought about it, I doubt he'd do it. STAT is too young for any coach to risk that kind of problems. Maybe it could last a series, but if Amar'e is playing that good then he might urge Woodson to start him.

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
This will never happen. How many 100 million dollar men do you know that come off the bench. The idea that people assumed that we were a better team without Melo was outrageous and the idea that Amare is better coming off the bench is crazier.

Here's what everyone is missing:

-They have not played a full season together under one system

-The point guard was questionable until Lin and even with Lin how many games did they play together to develop any chemistry.

- Condensed season due to the lockout, less practice time to work on the system, spacing and overall tendencies.

- Injuries have plagued both players this season and has kept them off the floor to play together.

I don't know to be honest.

Melo seems to be a much better scorer (much more efficient) without Amar'e on the floor. Our defense is unquestionably better, BUT

we could do with a second high profile scorer. At the moment we only have Melo. Shump is fantastic, but he'S also a rookie we can't expect him to deliver 20 pt games like it ain't no thing in the Playoffs. J.R. Smith is a terrible chucker who we can't rely on as a second option. Davis looks past it. Fields is Fields....so when it comes to scoring, especially in the Playoffs, we could definitely do with Amar'e.

Should he come off the bench? Probably, but his lack of defense might even hurt us more when he's in with the second unit, because our great defenders Chandler and Shump will be sitting and Jeffries can't guard his own man AND clean up for Amar'e all the time...

I also don't think Amar'e would accept a bench role at this point. In addition to that Woodson won't even discuss the topic, the risk is too high to create an Orlando-type situation.

Conclusion:
Should he come off the bench? In terms of how well our current lineup has played and how cohesive the unit is - YES.

But when you consider his lack of defense and the fact that the second unit already has to 'carry' one bad defender in Novak AND the risk of a huge bust up between Amar'e and the coaching staff....it might be better to start him.

ONe thing is for sure though: Shumpert MUST start!!!

There is no way Shumpert goes back to the bench and Fields starts at the 2 hen Amar'e returns. If Woodson does that he has to go imo.

Shumpert has more than proven how valuable he is and what a good starter he is, while Fields can't guard SGs at all and is pretty erratic on offense.

insanity4289

Benchwarmer
This will never happen. How many 100 million dollar men do you know that come off the bench. The idea that people assumed that we were a better team without Melo was outrageous and the idea that Amare is better coming off the bench is crazier.

Here's what everyone is missing:

-They have not played a full season together under one system

-The point guard was questionable until Lin and even with Lin how many games did they play together to develop any chemistry.

- Condensed season due to the lockout, less practice time to work on the system, spacing and overall tendencies.

- Injuries have plagued both players this season and has kept them off the floor to play together.

Here is what you are missing:

-The team comes first. You don't make a great run to the playoffs and then throw a new cog in a working clock right when you make it to the playoffs.

-Amare has been injured and needs time to get his legs under him, having him come off the bench will allow him to do this.

-Amare wants to win. Melo is at his best when he is playing the 4, just like Amare is at his best playing the 5. Obviously they can be on the court together, but when our Big 3 are out there everything gets clogged up and no one can be successful. And trying to make it all work on the fly, in the playoffs, against one of the best teams in the league is not going to work.

Number3

Benchwarmer
this would be awesome .. havin basically 2 teams.. an Amare squad and Melo squad... but now will their pride and egos let one of them come off the bench for the sake of the team?? idk

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
I agree that both, Chandler and Melo are more effective without Stat on the floor. On the other hand, Stat is a great player himself and is at his best at center position. How do you tell $100000 men to come off the bench?
I am glad i am not a Knick coach, lol.

fender0577

Rotation player
Stats not coming of the bench, we need his size and strength in the playoffs.Remember right before he got hurt, he was looking great, we'll need STAT, Melo, and Lin, to make a deep run this year.I just hope they don't rush STAT or LIn back to early.

Stats not coming of the bench, we need his size and strength in the playoffs.Remember right before he got hurt, he was looking great, we'll need STAT, Melo, and Lin, to make a deep run this year.I just hope they don't rush STAT or LIn back to early.
Yeah he was great in game 1.. But again Melo was meh while Amare killed it. Then when Amare goes down Melo goes off. I dunno how to rectify the problem but we need these two guys to play well in the same game if we want to go far. Im just throwing the idea of bringing one off the bench out there.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
No no no no no. Guys theres a huge difference between regular season ball and playoff basketball.

We are not beating the Chicago Bulls or the Miami Heat in a 7 game series with Melo at the 4.

Let's be realistic. I'm enjoying this winning streak as much as the rest of ya, but lets keep things in perspective and not get carried away because of a couple games like we usually do.

I'm sure D-Wade should come off the bench to am I right?

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud

Thank you. The problem with fans in general is that we tend to take to much out of a small sample size.

From the large samples we've seen tho.. They never play like they're fully capable of on the court at the same time is what I'm getting at.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
No no no no no. Guys theres a huge difference between regular season ball and playoff basketball.

We are not beating the Chicago Bulls or the Miami Heat in a 7 game series with Melo at the 4.

Let's be realistic. I'm enjoying this winning streak as much as the rest of ya, but lets keep things in perspective and not get carried away because of a couple games like we usually do.

I'm sure D-Wade should come off the bench to am I right?

This is right just because it's working for two or three games with Boston does not mean this should happen.

And the fact that Melo's playing well has less to do with Amare and more to do with Lin not being out, remember Melo wasn't the one having problems when he first got here it was Amare and he's shown he can adjust to Melo being here with his play before his injury.

You gotta give them a chance to both play well at the same time in the same line up.

And like this guy said it's gonna be a different story in the playoffs remember that.