Why does Landry Fields play so many minutes?

Bad Landry is back the last couple of games. Totally useless except for his rebounding and the occasional backdoor-cut to the basket.

He can't shoot to save his life, his defense is below average, his ball handling is a nightmare, his passing is erratic, free throw shooting in the Dwight Howard/Shaq range and he seems to be afraid of Miami. Everytime we play the Heat his bodylanguage turns into that of a 10-year old school boy.

Man up like Shumpert for christ's sake!

tiger0330

Legend
Alan Houston needs to work with Fields on his shot, he is working with Shump on developing more arc on his shot and that is exactly what is wrong with Landry's shot esp his FTs, line drive shots that have no chance getting a friendly bounce at the rim. Been hearing that he was working with a coach on his shooting this past off-season, they need to fire that dude and get Houston to work with him and Shump this off-season. Does everyone think he is a lock for the Knicks to sign this off-season. If he ask's for more than a 4M/2 year deal, I would pass on him myself.

nyk_nyk

All Star
First of all, Fields is not even a true SG so we always start off with that handicap. If you don't at least show a threat of hitting shots at that position then it allows the defense to load up on one side more often. I like Fields cutting and driving ability but he NEEDS to shoot well at that position. I think when Amare comes back you move Landry to the bench. He can split time with Novak. Either way, his minutes will be decreased since I'm pretty sure Woodson isn't that high on him no matter what he says.

It angers me when Fields hesitates on a shot attempt or miss wide open shots. Even worse is when he barely hits the rim with his flat no arc shot. If he fades again this postseason, I'm officially done with him.

For those people bashing Walker like he's completely shiit, think agin! Walker wouldn't be needed to carry a heavy load plus he can rebound and play solid defense. He may not pass great or move better than Landry without the ball BUT he is a natural SG and WILL knock down open shots. This threat is needed to spread the defense to allow Amare room to produce.

Paul1355

All Star
I agree with resigning Fields... he's a great, young all around player and he just needs to work on his jump shot.. once he gets that he's gonna be very valuable to our team, even coming off the bench.

Resigning Fields is a waste of money....he lost his shot and he plays worse when Melo plays for some reason and Melo isnt going anywhere so Fields should be traded or just let go.

Walker needs to get minutes.

Paul1355

All Star
Walker would not have a bigger impact on the game than Fields, well actually he probably would in a negative way.

Walker is just pure garbage, and should have been cut for a pg down the stretch.

Fields issue is his jumper, that's basically it.

Fields doesn't bother me missing free throws, because he is still aggressive and drawing fouls HELPS THE TEAM.

His 2 point Fields goal % is in the top 3 from the guard position, as is his rebounding is top 5, and just outside of top 5 in steals.

I just find it so amazing that people dump on Fields when the team doesn't even have a legit shooting guard on it.
Bro are you serious right now?

Look at Fields stats....watch him during games....he is usueless...he does nothing besides rebound and Walker can do that.

If Fields can not hit an open shot and can't hit a frigin free throw then it is like playing a big man as your shooting guard/Small Forward. Is Ben Wallace starting for us at SF? Come on bro I can't believe you just stick with Landry after seeing him fade once again near the post season like last year.

He has no arc on his shot, he has no confidence in his shot, his defense is spotty sometimes good and sometimes terrible.

Why is Walker garbage? His defense is only bad at times because he simply fouls too much but besides the fouling, Walker is better in every category.

Walker needs minutes and Fields is over rated and being used too much.

Paul1355

All Star
I wouldnt say Fields has less talent than Shump, both players have their own different high skills when used and coached to their talent....decision-making & complimenting teammates talents goes to Fields. Speed & energy goes to Shump....its easy to chose which talent belong in the starting lineup.

Last season I complained about rookie Landry Fields being given such a heavy load to carry before each game as a starter going-up against NBA starters....it isnt fair to any rookie, especially a 2nd round draft pick rookie. Bum Donnie Walsh was suppose to accept starter SG-Monta Ellis in the trade for David Lee....trading 6th man energy Nate Robinson for Walker who cant beat out any rookie for playingtime in his 5 year career with Boston & N.Y..

Paul....Landry Fields were our second highest rebounder last season, and is our 4th highest rebounder this season....when we have a decent roster of 7 bigmen to use from Chandler, Stat, Melo, Jorts, Jeff, Novak, Jordan....whats wrong with the picture???

Walker is a better offensive player and can rebound well...meaning Fields is useless and Walker needs minutes.

pat

Starter
Why wouldn't you start Shumpert? Fields has been starting since day 1, and he is far less skilled than Shumpert, not even taking defense into account.

Because Shumpert has a tendency to force up shots as well. With everybody back in action, We are not going to need players who need to create off the dribble but a shooting guard who is fine with taking what the game offers. I agree though if they tried to change his shot, something went seriously wrong.

iSaYughh

Starter
Horrible... I wish we had Gallo till this day.

Same. His injuries are a shame so far in his career. One more legit injury and I think he unfortunately could be headed down one of those really nice careers, where he battles injuries, adapts, has one or two "wow" years, but never achieves what he coulda. Amazing he is already as NBA-skiled and productive as he is, tho.

Also, ironic that I think we'd be better off with Gallo and Faried over Melo and Amare right now, and I'd be being dead serious?

Paul1355

All Star
Horrible... I wish we had Gallo till this day.

so we can see him jock up threes, blow open lay ups, and make us shake our head in disbelief? No I liked Gallo and his upside but I would take Melo over him anyday

Gallo was a choke

Not saying Melo isnt because Game 3 was bad but Gallo would have been non existent in this Heat series with James guarding him.

Arrius

Rookie
I've learned to expect nothingness when Fields is on the court so I'm not that disappointed when he makes mistakes. I think he is horrible but I came across something very startling.

He has the highest +/- on the roster with +213. I'll be the first to look for reasons he is simply the beneficiary of everybody else and that +/- doesn't mean much, but when you look at the overall league leaders many of the best players are at the top with Lebron at #1.

It's worth nothing that Stat is worst on the team at -44.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Huge fan of Fields after last season's emergence, but would be interested to see what we can get for him on the market.

He hasn't been selling it this year. I'd still like to see Landry do well, but it seems more like his strengths have lessened and his weaknesses worsened. Shame, shame, shame. :eek:hboy:

I'd like to see us trade Stoudemire more than anyone, but that's as likely as peace in Serbia. If we were able to replace him with a power forward role player - Verajao springs to mind with that big contract of his - that could play a strong supporting role to Tyson and also slide to the 5, that'd be perfect.

We saw how well Jefferies played with Chandler throughout Linsanity, and that to me was evident of the blueprint we need to keep Lin, Shump, HOPEFULLY JR, and Melo as our main producers, Melo being the inside presence - as well as outside, of course.

Fields, Novak and Jefferies are expendable at the cost of maintaining the services of JR Smith.

I like Novak, but it's been shown time and again that he can be eliminated as a threat by a good defensive team, and he doesn't have the repertoire/versatility in his game to make up for being closed out. Useless in the playoffs.

metrocard

Legend
so we can see him jock up threes, blow open lay ups, and make us shake our head in disbelief? No I liked Gallo and his upside but I would take Melo over him anyday

Gallo was a choke

Not saying Melo isnt because Game 3 was bad but Gallo would have been non existent in this Heat series with James guarding him.

Gallo is a great all around talent who can defend, play within the offense, get to the free throw line and shoot the ball...dude isn't even near his prime yet.

Stop hating so pointlessly.

Gallo isn't as easy to guard as you think.