Amare: Keep him or Dump him?

• Keep him

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Dump him

Votes: 19 86.4%

• Total voters

Paul1355

All Star
Ok fellow Knick fans, I believe that Amare punching a fire extinguisher and possibly being out of the playoffs was the last straw for my patience with this moron.

Amare changed the culture of this team, I give him credit for that, but he has been a failure. Epic failure.

He had one good season with us with barely any injuries, since then the guy has had a hard time getting on the court, and when he does we have to suffer through him trying to fit in the offense with Melo.

-Amare played great in Game 1 against Boston last year, then he tries to impress people and goes to dunk during warmups, pulls his back, and misses the series, killing any chance of beating Boston.

-Now due to his stupidity, he punches a fire extinguisher and now will possibly miss the series.

Two self inflicted injuries, from a star max salary player, ruining our chance to make an impact in two straight playoff series, and being injury prone along the way, while not fitting in well in the offense and creating stagnation. What is the point of keeping this guy?

The only reason would be if we resign Lin and sign some good passing back up PG;s...still doesn't solve Melo and Tyson not complimenting Amare and vice versa.

We have a surprisingly good record without Amare. And we all know this is because of spacing. Having Melo, Amare, and Chandler means a clogged paint and we are a bad 3 point shooting team so opponents can just collapse on defense.

Amare's game doesn't fit with the team.
He doesn't comliment anyone's game on this team.
He needs a PG on the floor or he is useless.
Tyson CHandler and Melo hurt his game because their offensive games are Amare's game (Mid range jumpers and pick and rolls).
His injuries are becoming more frequent.
His stupidiity is costing us PLAYOFF GAMES.

This is a lost cause. This is hope that will never be fullfilled. Last straw. I want him gone.

He is a great player that can fit well on other teams, not this one.

Who is with me?

The question right now isn't whether or not to pursue moving STAT, it's how is it even possible? There's a lot of people who would argue the main reason we were able to sign him 2 offseasons ago was that we were the only team willing to take on his uninsurable contract. There's been no evidence since that time that any other team wants his contract and this postseason is only going to further hurt the cause.

I want STAT to be a great player for this team as much as anyone. He seems like a nice guy off the court. But geez, enough's enough with this.

quiggle

Starter
as I said before yall should dislike Renaissance Man more then LeBron, at least Lebron isnt bringing us a championship but neither is Statosphere and you are paying 100$ million for it.

the next time you think of the last time you played a woman remember that karma had Renaissance Man play you as a Knicks fan.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
I just voted to dump his ass. OP, i agree with everything you said, but the problem is how are we going to move him?
I really think that we will play a lot better without him. Melo and chandler will get space they need in the painted area and our shooters will spread the floor for Melo to be a beast again.

KingCharles34

All Star
dump that piece of sh*t...just think of the things we could do without him. We could re-sign Smith and Novak...

and a couple of other role players to build around Lin, Melo, and Chandler

iSaYughh

Starter
If only we could amnesthize his ass.

I would love Trashemire to be gone, but I actually think we have to go a different route:

trade Melo, assuming he can still fetch the price he was before (Deron Williams + ____ type deals). Melo has another set of issues, separate from Stoudemire, which also inhibit us from fielding a true championship team -- mainly, him not being able to carry a team, but him being treated like one (by Dolan), and not being able to play like he isn't one.

Trading Stoudemire is going to be next to imposible, though. It will create even more of a circus and a potential disaster when trade negotiations go public, and there's an excellent chance he just won't be traded no matter how little we ask for.

Melo really shoulda been traded earlier, right before D'antoni left, when we could have negotiated from a superior leverage place, easily gotten a William + type deal, and already been boosting up Amare's value while also having a chance at actually contending this year...but never throw good money after bad. What's done is done.

Trading Melo accomplishes things we wish we could get from trading Stoudemire: cap relief, superior team play, options, not being binded to our current franchise plan, and the shot that Melo leaving will get Stoudemire going again (a reasonable assumption)....which means we could then trade his ass.

A lot of issues here, augmented more by the firing of D'antoni and hiring of Woodson, where we have new coaching uncertainties, and new potential issues with a coach maximizing talents (eg Stoudemire, Lin).

:2cents:

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I dont even mind trading him with any 5 million-worth player if other team want him.
It's not as dumb as poeple might think, free some cap space and go after PF FAs, there will be some good and available 4s in the offseason... Ilyasova or Bass could be a nice addition.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Under no circumstances would I keep Amar'e, who's so far played in 3 out of the team's 6 playoff games. Looks like it'll end up being 3 out of 8 playoff games, in two years (atrocious), and the 5 missed games will have been because of self inflicted shit.

Let's not forget that he didn't hurt his back last year in a game, it was pulling off a dunk in the layup line, pre-game. Bit of a freak injury, I won't hold it against him.....that is until he punched glass covering a fire extinguisher. Two injuries that seemingly have ended two straight playoff campaigns, both injuries coming immediately before or after a game, due to his own actions...not anyone else's negligence.

That's the guy I trade.

And while I understand that his contract will be tough to move, and get back anything close to equal compensation.....I also understand, and realize that our world is populated by stupid people.

Example:

ScreenShot2012-05-01at24540PM.png

Yea, it's fantasy basketball...but that's besides the point...I think we all realize how insane of a trade this was.

Of course the NBA is a different animal, blah blah blah. But that doesn't change the fact that stupid people are also in front offices. If you know how to dress it up, and sell an idea to a person easily persuaded...you achieve what you want. I don't know if Daryl Morey is on that list (Rockets GM), but I'll willing to bet David Kahn is.

You sell him on moving Pekovic and letting Love play PF, while STAT operates at center, with Rubio running the PnR w/ him...and moving one of the 200 wings players he has, to open up more playing time for their #2 overall pick in DW, and you just MIGHT be able to pull off the move.

Knicks would get a banger down low, who gobbles up the boards on both ends, and gets the majority of his points off of offensive boards, or sealing his man off, getting the rock, and finishing at the rim. I don't know how many plays the T'Wolves ran for him this year...and he still averaged 13 & 7, shooting 56% from the field, and 74% from the line. Plus, those numbers are affected by his ankle injury too. In Feb he was averaging 16.3 & 9.7, and in March he was at 17.4 & 8.5. Averaged 1.9 turnovers on the year.

That kind of production for the amount of money he's likely to get in his second deal (probably $9-12M per year) and I'm attempting to sell David Kahn on what Amar'e can do for his team.

Paul1355

All Star
It's not as dumb as poeple might think, free some cap space and go after PF FAs, there will be some good and available 4s in the offseason... Ilyasova or Bass could be a nice addition.

that animation is hysterical, this dude is just plain idiotic and selfish

skisloper

Starter
No team is trading for Stat......He has 20 million a year for the next 3 years.....
His contract is not insured and as we have seen he is having major back issues....so lets see Bad Knees and a Bad back.....There are no Morons out there......

We are stuck with Stat......let play off the bench.

Forrest17

Rotation player
Doesn't matter what we get for him just anyway to get rid of our contract we have to do it.

With his contract in place this team will only get progressively worse over the next few years, we have no picks really and we will have no cap room to do anything about it.

Get rid of his contract off the books we can resign Lin, novak, JR Smith, Shumpert after next season.. Bring in decent free agents.. We can do ALL of that just with amar'es contract gone because it gives us 20 million cap room, plus we won't be forced to use the MLE on Lin.. So really 25 million dollars we can spend.