After checking Knicks postseason stats....Amare gets a pass

Kiyaman

Legend
I maybe the only Knicks fan that change my veiw on Amare's injury after listening/reading so many of the sports writers/talk shows on Radio/TV about a selfish Amare....I went and checked the 2 game stat sheet of a 33 pt loss & 10 pt loss....the sum didnt equal up.

I have to give Amare a pass after checking the 2 games stat sheet....
I was upset/disapointed in Amare's action after game 2 as the average Knicks fan, but checking the stat sheet of our two high scoring (expensive) star players....I reversed it by putting the shoes on the other foot by giving Amare 40 shot attempts, and Melo 16 shot attempts in the two games.

Avg Per Game

......................G Min__M__A__Pct__M__A__Pct__M__A__Pct_Off_Def_Tot Ast_TO_Stl_Blk_PF_Pts
Carmelo Anthony...2 39:13 7.5 20.5 36.6 0.0 2.5__0.0__5.5 7.0 78.6 3.5 6.0__9.5 2.0 3.5 1.0__0.0 4.0 20.5
J.R. Smith.............2 32:21 6.5 14.0 46.4 2.0 5.5__36.4_0.0 0.0 0.0_1.0 2.0__3.0 3.5_3.0 1.0__0.5 4.0 15.0
Amare Stoudemire 2 36:32 4.0 8.0 _50.0 0.0 0.0__0.0__5.5 7.5 73.3 1.0 5.0__6.0 0.5 1.5 2.0__0.5 3.0 13.5

Last edited:

Sage

Rotation player
It's a pity the table isn't easy to read, but I get the jist of it.

Statistically he's done ok, but the main issues I've had are when he lets a defender beat him off the dribble or ends up being the player closest to a wide-open jump shooter and just stands there.

I saw Chandler on more than a few occasions run from the other side of the key to the 3pt corner to try and alter a shot. STAT just stands and watches.

Not good enough for the playoffs.

knicksin60

Starter
The only way that Amar'e redeems himself is if he comes back in game 4 and puts all of his energy, rage and effort into defending Bosh and Haslem on the other end of the court. I don't care if he doesn't score any points as long as he isn't giving up tons of points to the opposition.

fender0577

Rotation player
Yeah, my problem with him, has been his defensive effort, it's like he refuse to bump people, run at jump shooters, box out, help defense, talk on D, ect.Basically everything Chandler does.

quiggle

Starter
Yeah, my problem with him, has been his defensive effort, it's like he refuse to bump people, run at jump shooters, box out, help defense, talk on D, ect.Basically everything Chandler does.

sums it all up

nx58r4.jpg

Yeah I'm with y'all. If basketball was played on one side of the floor he'd get a pass.. but this dude refuses to put forth even half the effort he spends trying to score on defense and on the boards.

Giving the amount of crap he went thru and the limited amount of time he had to work himself into the lineup this year... I still think he played better than most dudes in the league. No I don't think he played up to his contract (doubt he'll ever will), but I can give him a pass for this year too.

I think when he's 100% healthy and focused...he'll remember this season and raise his game to new heights next year. If he don't....may the lord and the fans have mercy on his soul.

Kiyaman

Legend
I can not argue with anyone on Amare's poor performance on the defensive-end of the court, especially after game-one when Tyson Chandler picked up quick fouls and a tech for being to close to Lebron.
The writing was on the wall.

The Heats frontcourt bigmen Bosh, Haslem, and Joel Anthony has average under double diget scoring in the 2 games....u cant give all that credit to Tyson Chandler.
Tyson, Amare, and Melo are letting Lebron/Wade do what Lebron/Wade want to do after being disgusted over all the Lebron-Flops in game-1....what have we done about Charmer, Miller, and D.Wade killin us from the peremeter in both games? our peremeter defense didnt show up for the playoffs.

KnickolasMGL

Benchwarmer
Amare's D has always been his biggest weakness,

I don't care if he sucks on offense due to Melo running his isos,
but he has to hustle, box out, jump, move his feet, go out to contest J's... do something..

the worst defensive PF in the game.

But he is still the best pick and roll finisher though, I am only talking defense here.

KingCharles34

All Star
His offense wasnt horrible through the first 2 games, but with more field goal attempts his field goal percentage woulda dropped for sure. AT the same time, Id rather see him be more assertive and call for the ball more.

You guys already summed his defense up

Kiyaman

Legend
Giving the amount of crap he went thru and the limited amount of time he had to work himself into the lineup this year... I still think he played better than most dudes in the league. No I don't think he played up to his contract (doubt he'll ever will), but I can give him a pass for this year too.

I think when he's 100% healthy and focused...he'll remember this season and raise his game to new heights next year. If he don't....may the lord and the fans have mercy on his soul.

Im wonderin how many peeps will remember this season after Lin-Sanity
develope Amare/Jorts/and Chandler low-post scoring game next season?
Recall....Lin-Sanity 7 game win streak was based on "low post scoring"....that is an
offensive bigman formula our coaching-staff havnt applied in the past 4 seasons.
Having Amare play down-low with his back to the basket next season will give our
players so many options in a halfcourt offense.

nyk_nyk

All Star
We all know statistically Amare isn't doing bad BUT that's because he hasn't taken a lot of shots for a "star" player. No matter how you slice it, he hurts the team with his soft defense and inability to rebound. The world saw whenever Tyson went to the bench Haslem or whomever would get offensive rebounds. Its frustrating to watch.

On the other end, Amare usually just roams around the court as if he's a role player and NEVER gets aggressive. He should be dominating guys like Joel Anthony and Haslem! I'd like to see him take it to MIA like Melo does even if the shooting pct isn't great because its all about making them defend. Right now, we make it easy to defend us because there's Melo and no one else.

All Amare has to do is post up more and call for it. He doesn't need to be running around trying to set a pick or screen for anyone who has the ball. Most of the time when he does get a pass its all the way out on the perimeter which isn't an ideal place to start his drive to the basket.

Until this dude learns how to post up and score, he will struggle to have success against great teams. Can't run PnR all your life! It's not that tough to defend.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Having Amare play down-low with his back to the basket next season will give our
players so many options in a halfcourt offense.

Amare will not do that. Don't you see how uncomfortable and clueless he looks when he has great post position BUT then he has to turn his body around so he can see the basket? He's stronger than Bosh and Haslem.

Kiyaman

Legend
Amare will not do that. Don't you see how uncomfortable and clueless he looks when he has great post position BUT then he has to turn his body around so he can see the basket? He's stronger than Bosh and Haslem.

Amare's lastseason under coach Gentry, Amare was force to play with his back to the basket on offense having 5 of these 7 frontcourt bigmen rebounders in every rotation with Amare....Jaron Collins, Grant Hill, D. Jones, Admuson, Jared Dudley, Frye, and Lopez.

The Knicks has been using only 3 frontcourt rebounders in the rotation with Amare this season....Tyson/Melo/with either Jorts, or Jefferies, or Novak, its a helluva big difference when u only have one option....even Bosh career had frontcourt bigmen so Bosh could improve his scoring each season with his back to the basket.