Good article on keeping Mike Woodson

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
A lot of streaks came to an end with the Knicks 89-87 Game 4 win over the Miami Heat at Madison Square Garden on Sunday.

The Knicks ended their own 13-game postseason drought as forwards Carmelo Anthony and Amar?e Stoudemire won their first playoff game with the franchise.

The win also stopped interim coach Mike Woodson?s personal postseason skid at seven games, going back to the second-round sweep he suffered at the hands of the Orlando Magic when he coached the Atlanta Hawks in 2010.

But if you think Woodson had something to prove personally on Sunday, think again.

?I?ve lost some games in a row, but I was also capable of taking the team, a young team and putting them in the playoffs and getting to a second round,? Woodson said during a Monday morning media conference call in response to a question by the New York Post?s Marc Berman. ?That counts for something. So it aint all the games you lose in a row, Marc. We were pretty successful with that team and they?re still playing pretty good basketball in Atlanta.?

Woodson wasn?t retained after that season in Atlanta, and it?s anyone?s guess if the same scenario will take place this summer in New York. As Bill Ingram mentioned in the NBA@2 on Friday, Woodson will have other suitors this summer of the Knicks decide to hire Phil Jackson or John Calipari.

Of course, if general manager Glen Grunwald decided against retaining his former college teammate at Indiana, that could be a tremendous disservice to the fans.

Woodson not only took over an 18-24 team that was floundering out of the playoff picture in mid March. He?s survived an endless string of bad luck to somehow sustain the Knicks? season.

During Woodson?s brief tenure as interim coach, Jeremy Lin tore a meniscus in his left knee, Amar?e Stoudemire suffered a bulging disc, Jared Jeffries has been severely limited because of his own knee issues, Baron Davis? entire body betrayed him before he ultimately dislocated his patella tendon during Sunday?s win, Tyson Chandler came down with a serious case of the flu right before Game 1 of the first-round series with Miami, Iman Shumpert tore his ACL in the third quarter of Game 1, Stoudemire lacerated his left hand on a fire extinguisher door after the Game 2 loss and Carmelo Anthony shot under 35% from the field over the first three games of the series.

It?s no wonder why the Knicks trail the Heat 3-1. It?s actually a miracle the series isn?t already over.

And through all of the negative circumstances, Woodson kept his composure. He never lashed out at his players and he didn?t toss the playbook out the window. In fact, Woodson has continued to build on a lot of what former coach Mike D?Antoni brought to the Knicks. Specifically, New York has tried to use the pick and roll on occasion, even though their pick-and-roll point guard, Lin, is still sidelined following his April 2nd knee surgery (Lin could return for Game 5, but that?s unlikely and Woodson isn?t counting on him).

?He remained positive, he remained confident,? Carmelo Anthony said of Woodson?s. ?His main message was to take it one day at a time and that?s what we?ve been doing. (Game 4) was a big day for us, a big game for us. We stepped up to the challenge, and we left it all out there on the basketball court.?

The fact that Anthony, who was practically booed off the court following a 17-point loss in Game 3, and Stoudemire, whose self-inflicted wound kept him out for that defeat, ended up combining for 61 points in Sunday?s win speaks volumes about Woodson?s trust in his players.

There are other coaches who wouldn?t have pushed for Stoudemire to return (he made the decision to come back right before Game 4) or would have steered the offense away from Anthony after his 7-for-23 shooting performance in Game 3.

But Woodson supported his co-captains, even going as far as to ask New Yorkers to not boo Stoudemire before Sunday?s game.

Of course, Woodson isn?t asking anything for himself. He refuses to make his case through the media, instead preferring to focus on the task at hand.

?Right now, it?s not about Mike Woodson and my contract and where I go from here,? he said. ?I was given an opportunity to coach this team, I?m still coaching this team and the job is not done. And, you know, when that time comes, I?m sure everybody will sit down and talk about my future, but right now, that?s not my concern. My concern is Game 5 right now. I?m trying to get these guys ready to play.?

On Sunday, in the face of overwhelming odds, the Knicks were ready to play. And given a full offseason, who knows what Woodson is capable of. His 18-6 finish to the regular season should be the start of something big with the Knicks, but in this town, you can never be sure.

Personally I want to see what Woodson does in game 5 before I make any judgement but for all the crap we've endured this season, he's done a great job of handling it. However, Woodson isn't know for his playoff success. Thoughts?

Wargames

Starter
He did a good job and I think he is coming back next year. The fact the Knicks got at least one win considering everytime you turn around someone is getting severely injured should be enough to justify extending him. Also let's be honest he has a lot of connections in MSG and that is always a plus in the Garden.

Now if Phil Jackson makes it very, VERY clear he wants to coach the Knicks only then do I see him in danger of not getting the job back.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
We are missing out starting back court, down to our 3rd string point guard, Amare isn't 100% and we still beat Miami in game 4.

We went 18-6 under him with Lin & Stat missing much of those 24 games. 18-6 with our 2nd and 3rd leading scorers out. We also went 6-1 with a fully healthy team against several good playoff teams and had the best defense in the league for that period. Im pretty sure only the Spurs had more wins than us since Woodson took over.

Look, I know everyone is getting hard over the possibility of Phil Jackson coming. But i'm not entirely sure him and Dolan will meet on all the terms (Phil's autonomy with the roster, coaching etc). Im also a little uncertain as to whether we have the personnel to pull of the triangle offense to championship standard.

I say unless Jackson comes begging, so to speak, give Woodson another 2 years. He has earned it and realistically a 55 win team good for the 3rd seed in the East.

JS3

Benchwarmer
We are all Woodson fans just because he took a broken ball club and marched it to the playoffs, we all said, "just imagine what he could do with a full training camp & season", and we were all correct.

But Phil jackson is another story that we should re-consider.

1991, Riley came to the Knicks after his run with LA, coaching players like Kareem & Magic, and everybody said "where is the stars in NY?", well...?

He brought the toughness of basketball and in 4 years he made us the toughest team in the NBA.

Yes Woodson is great, and i admire him, but dont forget, he came after a fake coach that...(i dont want to get to it once again).

Woodson all the way, but if Phil wants to coach the Knicks, we cant say no to him, the question is, what is our goal? just to take a chip, or build a franchise that will rule the NBA, i am worry that Jax will be here for only 2 years, and that not a building strategy, on the other hand, that exactly what Dolan wants....

skisloper

Starter
Phil Jackson or Jeff Van Gundy................

if not we should sign Woodson for sure and just hope he steps up his strategy and does not utilize Melo the way he did Joe Johnson......

I dont know about Woody. Sure we won a game, but he seems a bit over matched. Its taken him four games to figure out how to get Melo the ball because the Heat are fronting him. He hasnt used the zone nearly enough. He cant seem to get Novak (our best 3 pt shooter) any good looks.

Phil Jackson
Bill Laimbeer
Jerry Sloan

In that order...

tiger0330

Legend
Ridiculous if they don't bring him back. Look Chicago is on the verge of elimination, if they lose in the first round do you think they fire Thibs? We have worse injury problems than the Bulls, it would be idiotic not to bring back Woody next season.

tiger0330

Legend
This was actually a real good article. LOL at Larry Brown's "smell the gym", never heard him say that.

I like the decision making about PJ, he's old and has health issues, not exactly the qualities I want in a guy that I have to make the highest paid coach in NBA history to take on a multi-year project to win an NBA championship.

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
You guys are NUTTSSSS if you don't want Woody back. Let this franchise show some commitment to a real coach for once. If we change our coach again this off season that just gives us another excuse to why we don't go far next year. Some people on here will say "O its only there first season in the new system, cut them some slack."

Melo, STAT and Chandler if I am not mistaken are under contract for 3 more seasons. Give Woody a three year contract and let them get to work. They are somewhat familiar with his ways already so its not like we are starting from scratch. Who knows how these players will respond to Phil Jackson or JVG, all we do know is Woody has the attention of the players right now.

My only thing with hiring Woody is finding someone who can help him on offense. An assistant who can figure out ways to implement some pick n roll sets as well as some ISO sets through Melo.

We have a dynamic starting five next season:

Lin
Fields, JR (Pending) Shump (when he comes back)
Melo
Amare
Tyson

It is Woodson job along with his personnel, to figure out a way to make this team work. This is a good problem to have, and many teams would love to have some of these pieces and this problem. Give them a full training camp and off season and I promise you we will see a consistent good season next year, something we have been lacking for over a decade.

He would have done very well in the playoffs with this team if they were healthy. I'm seriously starting to wonder if people are actually watching the games. He has a beastly team, better than any other team he's coached.

Unforunately, our beastly team fell victem to many untimely injuries...but we still prevailed and played great ball. If he had full control of this team from the start of the season I know the results would have been way better than they are now. I'm sure a full healthy roster under Woodsons control would have us in the finals. We are playing the "Heat"...a team that can smash just about every team out there.

You just can't base your opinoins of Woody without acknowledging what he's up against and the amount of fire power he has at his disposal.

skisloper

Starter
He would have done very well in the playoffs with this team if they were healthy. I'm seriously starting to wonder if people are actually watching the games. He has a beastly team, better than any other team he's coached.

Unforunately, our beastly team fell victem to many untimely injuries...but we still prevailed and played great ball. If he had full control of this team from the start of the season I know the results would have been way better than they are now. I'm sure a full healthy roster under Woodsons control would have us in the finals. We are playing the "Heat"...a team that can smash just about every team out there.

You just can't base your opinoins of Woody without acknowledging what he's up against and the amount of fire power he has at his disposal.

I still would hire PHil Jackson over Woodson. I do agree with all you said but I think if you get Phil Jackson you get him.

I'm totally aware of who Phil is and what he has done...but at this moment (giving what we already have) it's an unneccesary gamble. A little insight and foresight also helps...

Phil should enjoy his retirement. It's not like we NEED him. I'm all about being fair and Woody has earned it. As I said before...if we didn't have a clue or a solution...I would consider Phil too...even if I don't really want him.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
I dont understand ppl who still want Jeff VanGandy. He and his brother are good coaches but bring too much drama and negativity. Why is Jeff still not coaching if he is so good?
Woodson did a tremendous job no question. But one thing is bothering me about him being able to get his team ready to play for such an important game like game1 of playoffs, or game 2, or game 3 for that matter. I dont think knicks played all those games as hard as they did in game 4. If they did, the outcome of at least one of those games might have been different.
Please, bring PJ if he is available. Just his presence in the locker room will change so many things that no other coach, i repete, no other coach can do.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
I agree with the article and everyone who says keep Woodson.
I understand the other side. PJax has an impressive record. He has more rings than fingers. He coached 2 of the best basketball players of all time. But to go through a coaching change again in my opinion is ridiculous. The players like playing under Woody. Even melo, whose had problems with coaches in the past. We've had too many changes in the Knicks organization. In my opinion, sometimes the best thing to do is try and stay with who you have. (see San Antonio)

skisloper

Starter
I agree with the article and everyone who says keep Woodson.
I understand the other side. PJax has an impressive record. He has more rings than fingers. He coached 2 of the best basketball players of all time. But to go through a coaching change again in my opinion is ridiculous. The players like playing under Woody. Even melo, whose had problems with coaches in the past. We've had too many changes in the Knicks organization. In my opinion, sometimes the best thing to do is try and stay with who you have. (see San Antonio)

The players that like playing under Woody has really only been melo and Stat who gave him a full endorsement..........I am not syaing the others dont but we do not know for sure.....Im more concerned with what coach will get the best our of our line-up and win us a championship....In that regards Woodson failed miserably with a very good Atlanta team......I hope he learned from that.......
I do like that he called melo out on his conditioning and wants him in better shape...i would like him better of he has JR drive to the hoop and get to the foul line a few times in Game 5......

tiger0330

Legend
One of the things I remember is a picture of Zeke and Dolan going out to Larry Brown's summer house in the Hampton's to beg him to be the HC and give him 10M a year.

I doubt Dolan ever wants to go groveling at PJ's place in Montana to give him 60M after the LB experience coaching in NY. All he has to do to sign Woody is have him come up to the Penn Plz offices and have him sign on the dotted line.

REALHEAT

Benchwarmer
I think Woodson earned a 4 year contract. I think the knicks should definitely keep him. The results speak for itself. They've improved defensively in a lot of categories. It'll be stupid if they don't