Who else is rooting for the DENVER KNICKERBOCKERS?

mafra

Legend
The DENVER NUGGETS starting five:

PG: Ty Lawson (should have been drafted by Knicks in '09 whe NY took J-Hill)
SG: Arron Afflalo (this would be Wilson Chandler)
SF: Danillo Gallinari (was drafted by NYK in '08)
PF: Kenneth Faried (could have been drafted ny NYK last year)
C: Timofey Mozgov (signed by NYK in 2010)

The Bench:

Al Harrington (played in NY 2008-2010)
Corey Brewer (MIN traded to NYK for Anthony Randolph)
Andre Miller (DEN acquired when trading Raymond Felton to POR)

It's simply amazing, isn't it? Practically an entire team filling out one roster that easily could have been playing together on another team's roster, in another city. In all my life, I don't recall such symmetry... never an instance where this has occurred before.

In the playoffs, NBA teams shorten their rotations to about 8 men. Here we have 7 guys that could have been Knicks this year. Holy cow!

Now, to be fair, if we do not pull off that trade w/ DEN (& we take a PG instead of J-Hill, & don't dump JJ to HOU)... what would the current NYK look like?

Instead of Javal McGe, NYK would feature Amar'e Stoudemire. Let's start there. STAT was on the time when trade went down. Also, remove Al Harrington from the picture.

PG: Lawson (or Jennings) is our starting PG. He's backed up by Andre Miller, whom we received in a trade with POR. We can also add... if Melo was dealt to NJ, then it's possible Deron gets dealt to NY. Put I'm doing this with the idea we did nothing at the trade deadline last year.

SG: This is the tricky part. As much as I like Kenneth Faried, and felt he should have been our target, I cannot complain about the Shumpert pick. I still opt for Shumpert, b/c of his perimeter defense & the fact we already have Amar'e & Mozgov. So, NYK start the rookie Shumpert, who is backed up by Corey Brewer & Landry Fields.

SF: Sure, NYK could have just signed Carmelo last Summer. He would be here, along with Danillo Gallinari. BUt we'll leave that out for now. So, Gallinari starts, & he's backed up by Brewer-Fields combo as well.

PF: Amar'e 'the extinguisher' Stoudemire baby. Jared Jeffries probably returns as a free agent last Summer... so he'll be the backup here.

C: Timofey Mozgov. However... If we didn't land Carmelo Anthony via trade, and if we somehow still failed to bring him aboard during the summer via free agency, then NYK would've signed Tyson Chandler. Would Chandler have signed here if no Melo? Who knows.

In other words... our current roster would be:

Lawson (Miller)
Shumpert (Fields)
Gallinari (Brewer)
Amar'e (Jefries)
Mozgov (Harrellson)

And... add to this mix either Carmelo Anthony or both Wilson & Tyson Chandler.

If we went w/ the Chandler twins:

Lawson (Miller)
W-Chandler (Shumpert, Fields)
Gallinari (Brewer)
Amar'e (Jefries)
T-Chandler (Mozgov, Harrellson)

We don't know what this team does in the East... I bet it finishes as the 4-6th seed though... We do know it'sgood enough to force a game-7 against the Lakers!

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Pulling for them. Took Lakers to 7, that's awesome.

Gallinari with 7 dimes in that game, 5-13 12 points, contributing. He had a good game the other day.

I like the Nuggets because they play team ball.

I think they have homecourt in the East, easy.

mafra

Legend
Pulling for them. Took Lakers to 7, that's awesome.

Gallinari with 7 dimes in that game, 5-13 12 points, contributing. He had a good game the other day.

I like the Nuggets because they play team ball.

I think they have homecourt in the East, easy.

Always liked GALLO. I'm not foolish enough to compare him to Carmelo though. One is elite, one is very good. But, if MIA played DEN... LJ/Battier would lock Gallo down.... He wouldn;t be pouring in 35 points playing w/ Landry Fields & Mike Bibby.

I even think it's overblown, how NYK gave up "too much." I feel tossing in Mozgov was over the top. Still... Wilson played in China, and was a free agent anyway. Felton fell off the map. Timofey is decent, but not irreplaceable. Gallinari a young gem, but it takes a player like that to get CA.

I do question the sanity of our owner though, and I felt on principle I agreed with Walsh. Put Melo to the test and see how badly he wants the big apple.

Let it be known to CA through back channels that if he wants to win in NY then he needs to play w/ Gallo. RISK IT... RISK losing CA if you have to. Cal everyone's bluff & go to free agency.

Not that Mozgov is a great player, but NY had to draw the line somewhere. Tell DEN it can have Gallo, and 2 of the next 3 (Felton, Wilson, Moz). You cannot give up all 3. Especially both Wilson & Mozgov.

Anyway.... I saw a few times when Carmelo drove to the basket, where he had Tyson wide open on the other post, but never looked to pass him the ball. I cannot blame CA for not being a distributor b/c he was playing with chumps who cannot shoot (or score).

I feel if you get CA a PG, al will be well. We shall see.

But, it's fun to watch DEN... knowing in some alternate universe... that could be our NYK squad.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Yea, I think this is the first series to go to 7 this season.

I think Nuggies win two from Heat just because they are so together.

Lakers are no joke. Lakers could beat the Heat in a series.

mafra

Legend
Yea, I think this is the first series to go to 7 this season.

I think Nuggies win two from Heat just because they are so together.

Lakers are no joke. Lakers could beat the Heat in a series.

To be fair to NYK though, if Tyson Chandler doesn't have the flu in Game-1, if Amar'e doesn't miss Game-3 b/c he punched glass, if Lin didn't tear his MCL & Shumpert didn't tear his ACL... I think NYK win 2 games against MIA as well.

I just cannot believe (to this day) we pass on Lawson & Jennins for Jordan Hill.

And I don't think LAK are better than MIA. BOSH and Gasol cancel each other out. Wade + Lebron too much for Kobe. Bynum can't even dominate Mozgov, so I think Haslem-Anthony check him.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
To be fair to NYK though, if Tyson Chandler doesn't have the flu in Game-1, if Amar'e doesn't miss Game-3 b/c he punched glass, if Lin didn't tear his MCL & Shumpert didn't tear his ACL... I think NYK win 2 games against MIA as well.

I just cannot believe (to this day) we pass on Lawson & Jennins for Jordan Hill.

And I don't think LAK are better than MIA. BOSH and Gasol cancel each other out. Wade + Lebron too much for Kobe. Bynum can't even dominate Mozgov, so I think Haslem-Anthony check him.

I can't say that, that having Tyson, Lin and Amar'e in perfect shape would have changed anything. I think same chances to get swept. It's a miracle they won one game, that wouldn't happen again if our guys were immortal and would live forever very healthy stuck at one age and without injury.

mafra

Legend
I can't say that, that having Tyson, Lin and Amar'e in perfect shape would have changed anything. I think same chances to get swept. It's a miracle they won one game, that wouldn't happen again if our guys were immortal and would live forever very healthy stuck at one age and without injury.

That's just insane. Game 3 was easily there for the taking. MIA played poorly. If Amar'e plays and does what he did in Game-5, they win easily.

Shumpert one of the best on-ball defensive players in the NBA. He holds Wade in check in that 3rd quarter, while Lebron is on the bench.

Tyson was sick in Game-1, and his 7 turnovers set the tone.

NYK were competitive & in each game (other than game 1).

IF DEN played MIA, I bet they get swept.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer

It isn't a miracle we won one game. Aside from the first game fiasco, we weren't that far behind and half our roster was unhealthy. I say if we were healthy with shump, lin, stat, jeffries, and a healthy davis (i'll miss him), the tables would have turned and it would be the heat playing golf right now. But let bygones be bygones I guess.

jimkcchief88

All Star
That's just insane. Game 3 was easily there for the taking. MIA played poorly. If Amar'e plays and does what he did in Game-5, they win easily.

Shumpert one of the best on-ball defensive players in the NBA. He holds Wade in check in that 3rd quarter, while Lebron is on the bench.

Tyson was sick in Game-1, and his 7 turnovers set the tone.

NYK were competitive & in each game (other than game 1).

IF DEN played MIA, I bet they get swept.

Exactly. First off, what kind of "what if comic book" is this thread anyway. More of that "wish we still had Gallo" bs to be sure. First of all, that was Ty Lawson and Andre Miller kicking' up dust, not the former KNICKS. Gallo got shaken and dumped by Kobe, tried a FIFA style flop, got a jumper in his teeth, then scolded by the ref for flopping. Wilson is a non-factor hurt and MOZ is average at best.

Great analysis of our series with Miami. If STAT doesn't make himself unavailable for game 3, its different series. And the rest of the injuries wiped us out.

mafra

Legend
Exactly. First off, what kind of "what if comic book" is this thread anyway. More of that "wish we still had Gallo" bs to be sure. First of all, that was Ty Lawson and Andre Miller kicking' up dust, not the former KNICKS. Gallo got shaken and dumped by Kobe, tried a FIFA style flop, got a jumper in his teeth, then scolded by the ref for flopping. Wilson is a non-factor hurt and MOZ is average at best.

Great analysis of our series with Miami. If STAT doesn't make himself unavailable for game 3, its different series. And the rest of the injuries wiped us out.

I'm more upset with losing Ty Lawson. Watched him a lot at UNC, being a DUKE fan, and I cringed when I heard Jordan Hill's name called.

I just find it odd that so many players who could be on the Knicks are actually playing for DEN.

Instead of Hill-Shumpert, we could have taken Lawson-Faried. Stuff liek that. Not that I'm saying we shouldn't have dealt for Carmelo, b/c that's a move you obviously have to make.

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
The most impressive fact about Denver is they have 12 players returning under contracts next year, for a grand total of 42 millions.

They can bring in whoever they want to fill up the missing pieces for championship runs. Faried is locked up for four more years. Lawson is for 2, Gallinari for the next 4, Affalo for the next 4, Harrington for the next 3, hamilton for 4, and McGee for one but I am sure Denver will try to sign him for a long contract.

Hell! Faried is still a rookie and he wouldnt even put a dent on the cap for the next 4 years.

Just Stat and Melo cost 40 millions and we dont have the luxury to fill up our roster but with third-tier players. Really depressing just thinking about it.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
The most impressive fact about Denver is they have 12 players returning under contracts next year, for a grand total of 42 millions.

That is beyond impressive. Out of all teams that are outside the Top Bangers, the Nuggies have the strongest foundation and most brilliant potential. They can fight for a title as early as next season if they will keep true to their philosophy.

McGee was a master move.

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer
I like the Nuggets but not because they have former Knicks players, I could care less about that. Would like them anyway if they had Garnett or Lebron. I like them because they play team-basketball which is much more fun to watch than that ISO nightmare we witnessed against Heat. George Karl is great underrated coach. They will probably loose in game 7 the refs will help Lakers and Artest will be back and he'll play his heart out. McGee is a huge talent but he's inconsistent and sometimes looks very immature on the court. Anyway their future looks bright, unlike ours.

metrocard

Legend
Nuggets are the most underrated team in the NBA. They have the deepest bench along with the best PG duo in Miller/Lawson

I don't like McGee, but he's tremendously talented and can be a big time player.

Mozgoz/Mcgee center combo is sick.

Even if Nuggets don't make it out of the first, they still have a much promising future with a core of Lawson, Affalo, Gallinari, Faried, Mozgov, Brewer, and McGee.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
The Nuggets have been my 2nd favorite team for the last 10 years, ever since I moved out here from NY.

I was at the game last night. 18th row. That was fun. Lawson was unstoppable, Corey Brewer was huge off the bench and Faried is non-stop hustle, he shut down Gasol. Gallo was very solid. He is probably that team's best penetrate and dish player. His passing skills are off the chart and I'm surprised D'Antoni didn't use him in the pick-and-roll more often. Mozgov played Bynum very well last night. He actually played better than McGee.

I don't expect the Nuggets to be winning a championship but I would be completely satisfied if they can SOMEHOW beat the Lakers in Game 7. The Nuggets are a better team than the Knicks and are in a better spot going forward.

blahwoop

Benchwarmer
The Nuggets have been my 2nd favorite team for the last 10 years, ever since I moved out here from NY.

I was at the game last night. 18th row. That was fun. Lawson was unstoppable, Corey Brewer was huge off the bench and Faried is non-stop hustle, he shut down Gasol. Gallo was very solid. He is probably that team's best penetrate and dish player. His passing skills are off the chart and I'm surprised D'Antoni didn't use him in the pick-and-roll more often. Mozgov played Bynum very well last night. He actually played better than McGee.

I don't expect the Nuggets to be winning a championship but I would be completely satisfied if they can SOMEHOW beat the Lakers in Game 7. The Nuggets are a better team than the Knicks and are in a better spot going forward.

did we forget that we could've had Deron Williams on the cheap if we passed up Melo and let him wait until the summer? i would've loved that move.

iSaYughh

Starter
It's a fun team. And a well-built team.

They had a similar effect as we did pre-Melo:

they are able to challenge superior teams, by the collective force of their style of play, and the whole being worth more than the sum of parts. And ya, they are young enough and have the cap space to be in a position to rationally build a bit more to actually challenge the NBA elite.

Also, I can't help but find it hilarious (even though it *is* true), that many of the same people rationalizing us getting our asses handed to us by MIA (Chandler sick for Game1, Shumpert injured, Amare hand etc etc) acted like complete ****ing tards when we get swept by the Celtics, just bc their dicks got hard every time they had a chance to try to attack the MDA Straw Man.

When the truth is, we were much more legitimately competitive vs the Celtics last year, than vs MIA this year, despite being more deterred by injury, and being much less talented overall.

iSaYughh

Starter
Oh. And this can't be overstated:

Gallo obv isn't Melo. But that is also sorta the point (and potentially crippling problem for us).

He's getting paid close to half, and is infinitely more flexible as a player and NBA'er, which as huge consequences to a franchise and it's ability to build, and not revolve around one player.

And Dolan is all about revolving around Melo at this point.

Thus, Melo will continue to be treated as The Guy for us -- a true batman.

Which is precisely why DEN fans, coach, and franchise felt such relief in trading him.

Maybe Melo will become that guy; but clearly there are some very wise people who don't think it's wise to bank on that (obv Dolan isn't one of those people).

Kiyaman

Legend

This series vs Miami.....prove we made the wrong move in the David Lee trade, which cause n effect force us to make an even bigger wrong move in the Melo-trade.

The Miami Heats big-3 performance never took our Knicks players out of their game in the series, it was Melo & JR offense/defense performance that took their teammates out of the game.....I looked at Shumpert stats in the first game before his injury, and the Miami Heats 31 point lead at the time of Shumps injury pointed to no help-defense from Melo & JR, plus the two didnt allow Shump to take part in the offense. All Miami bigmen were either scoreless or had 4 points in the Heats 31 point lead.
We all know how many shots Amare & Novak average in this series...

LJ4ptplay

Starter
did we forget that we could've had Deron Williams on the cheap if we passed up Melo and let him wait until the summer? i would've loved that move.

Yeah, me too. That would have been great.

Or, the old team + $18 mil in cap space last summer could have traded for CP3 and signed additional players.

*sigh* We could've been contending for a title this year. Oh well.