Questionable Decisions for this Off Season

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Here is the rotation as we know it as of now going forward:

Melo is our key starter, with Tyson Chandler at the 5.
PG, SG, PF are in question going into this off season.
Is Jeremy Lin the answer as starting PG or is he a backup?
Shumpert likely won't be available at beginning of season but is surely our 2G (SG).
Amar'e unfortunately is our current PF but is more a liability then an asset.

Bench Rotation:

JR smith is our primary scorer, Landry Fields is a capable all around player, whom must be retained. Jerome Jordan & Josh Harrellson can compete for backup center.

Steve Novak is also another need but unlikely to return.
Tony Douglas Team Option was picked up but what can he do for this team but keep the seat warm?
Jared Jeffries is a good on-ball defensive player.
Mike Bibby ageless wonder a Mike Woodson player who can still provide some help off the bench.
Baron Davis career is likely over.
Bill Walker another player who can provide some off the bench spark but injuries are a concern.

So with all that basically worthless information what should Knicks Management do, concede they have no clue how to run this organization or finally admit they screwed up when they should of used the Amnesty on Amar'e instead of Chanucey.

Tony Douglas is a trade bargain to the right team. Bill Walker and Baron Davis unfortunate causalities of injury.

Should Knicks try to trade Amar'e? But to move Amar'e, players like Tyson Chandler, Landry Fields, and Jeremy Lin also are put on the block. Moving Stat will be difficult but with the right package anything is possible.

Knicks have dilemma on Head Coach which it appears it will be Mike Woodson as the Knicks management made it clear for Woodson to be retained must fire his agent which he did. Loyalty to the organization shows he is willing to do what ever it takes to stay with NYK. We know he is a defensive minded coach, where having a prolific scorer in both starter Anthony and 6th man JR Smith makes his job much easier to build a team around them.

Question One:
Does management move Amar'e Stoudemire?
Question Two:
What player(s) could help as starter(s) or role player(s) via Free Agency and/or Draft?
Question Three:
Out of all of our free agent player(s), which one is most needed? Can only choose one!
Question Four:
If Mike D'Antoni does get Orlando gig! What stops Lin from rejoining MDA in Orlando via Free Agency?
Question Five:
Who will be our Assistant Head Coach? Does the Assistant HC have to be an offensive minded coach?

Question One:
Does management move Amar'e Stoudemire?
I think they'll consider all options behind closed doors, but in the end Amar'E will stay and trade talks will never become public. Knicks officials will issue statements like "We never had the intention to trade Amar'e he'S a key part of this team".
In reality this means that no deal was worth taking for the Knicks.

Question Two:
What player(s) could help as starter(s) or role player(s) via Free Agency and/or Draft?
A tough rebounder like Reggie Evans or Kris Humphries. An experienced wing-defender like James Posey or Deshawn Stevenson and the most important need: A point guard. Whether it'll be Nash and LIn slides in as backup or we keep Lin as the starter and sign a new backup PG - it's good either way, as long as we sign another good PG. Horrible PG play (Lin aside) is what really hurt our season the most.

Question Three:
Out of all of our free agent player(s), which one is most needed? Can only choose one!
Jeremy Lin without question.

Question Four:
If Mike D'Antoni does get Orlando gig! What stops Lin from rejoining MDA in Orlando via Free Agency?
The bigger market in New York and the fact that D'Antoni really played him out of neccessity (all the injuries) rather than out of trust.

Question Five:
Who will be our Assistant Head Coach? Does the Assistant HC have to be an offensive minded coach?
If Woodson stays it'll be his current staff. I see no reason why he would fire one of his guys after a couple of months.

If Phil Jackson takes over maybe Brian Shaw or even Patrick Ewing?!

finestrg

Rotation player
For what it's worth, I think we're in tremendous shape moving forward.

Lin ain't going anywhere (we can match any offer) and I think he's only gonna get better. And even though he's a little bit of a knucklehead, I LOVE JR Smith's talent. Perfect 6th man. Hopefully :)crossfingers:) he doesn't opt out and accepts the $2.5M player option, maybe with a handshake deal that he'll be taken care of the following year. Sounds like he wants to stay. He's tight with Melo and grew up in the area (Jersey). A big key not many are talking about: maybe Amar'e, Tyson and Melo collectively restructure their deals just a little in order to free up a little extra money for JR (or someone else). This definitely needs to be explored. Expecting one guy to give back and defer is asking a lot; but all 3 deferring a little should make it easier for them to swallow and make it more doable. The beauty of having 3 albatross contracts as opposed to just 1 I guess...

Anyway, to me, assembling the rest is the fun part. After retaining Lin and hopefully JR, we'll be at or over the cap...Doesn't really concern me though. To my knowledge we can exceed the cap on minimum-level deals in order to fill out the rest of the roster. I'm convinced Gunwald and co. can find enough low-salary/high yield players to make this one of the most complete & deepest teams in the NBA...He absolutely can do more with less...No question in my mind...These guys are out there -- just look at Jeremy Lin -- there's a ton of these guys around, all with NBA talent, just looking for work and waiting for a legit chance to show what they can do. Go find 'em!!! I also kinda like the fact that Lin AND Shumpert probably won't be playing in summer league -- I know, I know -- they could've used the experience and all things being equal, I would've wanted them to both play in Vegas but the silver lining is that it'll give us two extra spots to fill on the summer squad. Hopefully we're aggressive with this and look to fill these spots (and the rest of the SL roster for that matter) with young/high upside talent and not the usual warm bodies and filler we seem to go with.

Endulge me for a sec. on this hypothetical 15-man roster:

5 - Chandler
4 - Stoudemire - I expect a huge bounce-back year. Woodson will figure it out.
3 - Melo
2 - Shumpert - Plugging him in as a starter for now -- hopefully the knee responds well and we get him back before Christmas. I think Fields might be gone - someone might come along and offer Landry more money than we're willing or able to pay.
1 - Lin - In no way was 'Linsanity' some fluke - the kid can play and, as long as his knee's OK, he's only gonna get better. Huge find by the organization. Just in case we can't come to terms with Lin (say, God forbid, the knee doesn't respond and we choose not to sign him), I might throw a good portion of the mid-level at Patty Mills if he doesn't opt-in on his $1M player option with SA. Patty's got very good PG talent -- had 2 monster games right before the playoffs started subbing for Tony Parker who the Spurs were resting at the time. I think he could run an NBA club full-time a-la Ty Lawson in Denver or at the very least split the duty with another capable PG.
---------------------
5 - Marcus Cousin - 7' 255 lbs, long, rebounds, runs the floor, EXCELLENT mid-range jumper. One of the best jump-shooting 7 footers I've ever seen in fact. A nice combination of physicality and finesse..Solid FT shooter and he can block a shot too. I love what he brings to the table. If it were up to me, this guy would be the backup center behind Tyson. Just too much skill for this guy not to be playing in the NBA. As far as I know he didn't play anywhere last season. I just hope he kept himself in shape.
4 - Jorts Harrellson - Not the best athlete in the world but I love the old-school/hard-nosed mentality. Dude competes..Plus, ya gotta love that jumpshot. Who knew he could shoot the ball like that? Quitely there's nice upside here.
3 - DaJuan Summers - Always liked his game and overall talent level. He's got Wilson Chandler-type skills plus at 6'8" 240-ish, he's got some flexibilty to play 3 & 4. Sturdy with a little bulk, he can finish strong around the basket and I think he can be a more reliable shooter than W. Chandler -- this guy's jumper is more pure. Liked him a lot at G-Town -- I thought he was 1st round talent that summer. Detroit made a mistake giving up on him imo. We should be able to get him cheap. DaShawn Sims and Joe Alexander are two more possibilities here.
2 - JR Smith - I want him back as our 6th man. In case he's gone, I like former UVA star Sylven Landesberg. 6'6" and skilled. Showed real nice talent at Virgina and supposedly has gotten a lot better playing in Israel...Improved jumper and he's always been a good slasher who can get himself to the FT line. Hard to believe he went undrafted. 6'7" 215 lb. former Arizona Wildcat Jamelle Horne could be another possibility here. Never became the player I thought he would at Arizona but he's plenty athletic and he can really shoot the 3.
1 - Matt Janning/Ben Hansbrough/Curtis Jerrells/Demitri McCamey - Take your pick here. I think all 4 can play in the NBA. 6'4" Matt Janning reminds me of Goran Dragic a little (dude can really shoot and he's a good passer--plus at 6'4" he could also play some 2 for us and that could be big since we have questions at that spot right now); Hansbrough's a hard-nosed player just like his brother -- reminds me of Steve Nash a little bit; Jerrells is a nice, quick lefty scoring point in the Brandon Jennings/Kenny Anderson mold and the 6'3" 200+ lb McCamey played a nice floor game running the show for Illinois where he was one of the country's best passers and also really improved his jumper his senior year (always possessed real nice shooting mechanics). Anyone of these guys would make for a HUGE upgrade over Davis/Bibby at backup PG. Like Landesberg, it was hard to believe all 4 of these guys went undrafted. I'd be comfortable with any of these 4 as my backup point to Lin.
---------------------
[continue looking for quality depth, not just filler]
5 - Jerome Jordan - Played well in that last regular season game at Charlotte but I still think he's a ways away. If we can get Cousin, who's a better talent that Jordan, I'd send this guy to the DL and let him play 35+ mins every night. That or I might dangle Jordan & Douglas out there just to see what I could get -- an additional 2nd round pick, move up in the 2nd round, maybe into the 1st round? Who knows?
4 - Jeff Adrien - Tough, long arms, rebounds very well and he can score a little inside. He and Cousin together could really improve our overall rebounding. We could get him cheap.
3 - Ryan Wittman - Former Cornell star/son of Washington head coach Randy Wittman. The dude can flat out shoot the ball from deep. One of the best long distance shooters I've ever seen. Dude was lights out in college..He'd be a nice replacement for Novak, who I think might be gone (remember the contract Jason Kapono got a few years back? Someone might offer Novak substantial money, more than we're willing or able to give him). I think this guy's actually a little more versatile than Novak anyway. Unlike Novak, Wittman can put it on the floor a little bit. He'd come dirt cheap.
2 - Kim English - My pick in the 2nd round at 48 - nbadraft.net now has him as our pick there and I agree with them. SG has nice size at 6'6", pesky defender, can handle the ball a little, take it to the hole and he's a very good outside shooter. I've read the Daequan Cook comparisons -- I'll go along with that. I also see a slightly taller/more versatile Jodie Meeks and dare I say a little Ray Allen. He'd be a real nice complementary pick-up in the 2nd round, and could prove to be very useful right away esp. if we lose Fields and/or Smith in FA and Shump's knee takes even longer than expected. If Fields and JR both bolt on us, I might actually look to move up a little bit in order to secure English with our pick (maybe use Jordan and/or Toney Douglas to move up).
1 - Toney Douglas - Trade bait along with Jerome Jordan? If I could deal him as part of a trade that enabled me to move up in the draft, the 2nd choice of the 4 PGs I mentioned above would then make the team as the 15th man.

Last edited:

skisloper

Starter
I find it bizarre your Love for JR.
The guy is a loose cannot who blows hot and cold....
Why would you want him on our team.
Most Crucial game of the season
and he plays 36 minutes with 0 reb, 0 ass, 0 steal, 0 blocks....
When will you learn that we need stabilty and consistency...
I am so sick of these do and die guys.....

Kiyaman

Legend
Lin-Sanity not playing at 85% in the playoffs to increase his FA value leaves a big question about the Knicks as a team? Especially when Shump went down to injury in the first game.

The only sure starters for the 2012-13 seasons are Tyson Chandler & FA-Lin-Sanity. The two Big-Ego's of "Melo & Stat" will be question this offseason by owner James Dolan, who found a bigger commodity in Lin-Sanity than the total $$$ pair of Melo & Stat. Dont let NBA sports analyst fool u that Dolan cant trade Stats injury-prone $60M 3 year contract (MJ-Bobcats, Nets, and Wizards would take Stat in a quick second to fill all their empty seats), or Melo contract.

The Knicks problem at becoming a contender lies in Carmelo Anthony selfish offense, plus Melo's personal dislike for many teammates who call him out for his poor defensive effort divides the lockerroom.

JR Smith showed no effort for a Knicks return.
Josh Harrellson & Jerome Jordan are still a project.
Shump is out for the season/TD offseason work-ethic is on the line.
Jefferies injury-prone season is reliable for the minimum.
Novak is an offensive-weapon in every lineup with Lin & Tyson, is Novak a keeper?
Fields toughness and hard work-ethic is a keeper.

The idea of all the decent FA role-players available this offseason lets just hope the Knicks scouts are on the job. Especially if Tyson/Stat/Melo/Lin workout together for two weeks of each month of the offseason.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Jeremy Lin has talent, but still don't feel he is starter material just yet! He has ability but his ability needs maturing, he is a smart player and will develop. His style can be used tho, on bench rotation along with JR Smith, Landry Fields and two athletic big men...

We know Melo is a half court offensive threat, Lin in half court is our liability. Tyson Chandler works best in half court. When Shumpert comes back he also work better in half court system. That is three of 5 starter rotation we need to build surrounding our Star Melo.

There are many ideas on how to trade Amar'e, but still think moving him via a 3 team trade with Lakers to Orlando especially if MDA is the new HC there. Stat is our current liability, he is well liked but not needed.

Again I will state this benefiting both Lakers & Magic we could solve many problems with facilitating this trade.

Lakers have Odom's exemption of approx. $8M.
Dwight Howard $17M (sign & trade)
Hedo Turk $11M w/player option
(Josh McRoberts $3M salary would even this trade)

Magic would receive:
Andrew Bynum $16M (sign & trade)
Amar'e Stoudemire $19M
(Jameer Nelson $7M could be moved easily to 4th team to open room for Steve Nash)

Knicks would free up cap space:
Josh McRoberts solid young bench player (PF)
Jameer Nelson could be valued starter (still iffy that he could fit in NY)
$19.45M cap space minus Josh McRoberts $3M gives us enough to re-sign Lin, Landry, Walker, Bibby with JR Smith accepting player option. Lin & Landry worth $4M per with Bibby & Walker around $1.5M per. JR Smith's $2.5M would leave roughly $3M after re-signing our own players.
Tony Douglas could be used as trade bait for draft pick to whom doesn't matter. TD23 contract $2M.

If by chance, Knicks decides to take Nelson's contract then either Lin or Landry would be re-signed via MLE.

Still will have MLE to sign quality veteran either starter at PF or PG.

Still would like to see Melo restructure his contract to possibly bring in a third talent but someone that fits with Melo & Chandler.

Last edited:

iJoe

Rotation player
finestrg;236093 5 - [B said:
Marcus Cousin[/B] - 7' 255 lbs, long, rebounds, runs the floor, EXCELLENT mid-range jumper. One of the best jump-shooting 7 footers I've ever seen in fact. A nice combination of physicality and finesse..Solid FT shooter and he can block a shot too. I love what he brings to the table. If it were up to me, this guy would be the backup center behind Tyson. Just too much skill for this guy not to be playing in the NBA. As far as I know he didn't play anywhere last season. I just hope he kept himself in shape.

Sorry but I think Marcus was signed by Rockets with a non guaranteed contracts late season :(

finestrg

Rotation player
Sorry but I think Marcus was signed by Rockets with a non guaranteed contracts late season :(

Nah, I think he's a FA. They waived him right before they brought in Dalembert. Funny the Rockets payed Dalembert $7M last year (prorated down from that amount with the lockout I'm sure) and they hold a team option for him for next season at $6.7M --- Cousin could be had for a fraction of that amount, say 300-400K if that (probably less, maybe a lot less). Cousin, at his size, age & with his skillset, would be a tremendous pickup for someone for that pultry amount of change. I think pound for pound Cousin's a much better buy than Dalembert at nearly $7M, but that's me...I hope we give him a shot or at least consider him for summer ball/training camp. He'd be great here backing up Tyson. Far and away a more NBA-ready big man than Jerome Jordan in my view...My 2nd line frontcourt behind Chandler, Amar'e and Melo would be:

5 - Marcus Cousin
4 - Jeff Adrien (possibly Jorts ahead of Adrien--both would make my roster but whoever showed better in SL/training camp/pre-season would get the primary backup 4 mins.)
3 - DaJuan Summers

Think about the talent on that backup frontline for a sec...I betcha we could add all 3 of these guys for under $1M combined salary. I want real solid roster depth for next year's squad right down to the 15th man. In case the injury bug hits us again next year I want us to be ready...I'd like to see us assemble a roster that has everything we need and that's 3 deep at every position. That should be the goal. And I know for a fact they could get a lot of what they need on the cheap.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Jeremy Lin has talent, but still don't feel he is starter material just yet! He has ability but his ability needs maturing, he is a smart player and will develop. His style can be used tho, on bench rotation along with JR Smith, Landry Fields and two athletic big men...

We know Melo is a half court offensive threat, Lin in half court is our liability. Tyson Chandler works best in half court. When Shumpert comes back he also work better in half court system. That is three of 5 starter rotation we need to build surrounding our Star Melo.

There are many ideas on how to trade Amar'e, but still think moving him via a 3 team trade with Lakers to Orlando especially if MDA is the new HC there. Stat is our current liability, he is well liked but not needed.

Again I will state this benefiting both Lakers & Magic we could solve many problems with facilitating this trade.

Lakers have Odom's exemption of approx. $8M.
Dwight Howard $17M (sign & trade)
Hedo Turk $11M w/player option
(Josh McRoberts $3M salary would even this trade)

Magic would receive:
Andrew Bynum $16M (sign & trade)
Amar'e Stoudemire $19M
(Jameer Nelson $7M could be moved easily to 4th team to open room for Steve Nash)

Knicks would free up cap space:
Josh McRoberts solid young bench player (PF)
Jameer Nelson could be valued starter (still iffy that he could fit in NY)
$19.45M cap space minus Josh McRoberts $3M gives us enough to re-sign Lin, Landry, Walker, Bibby with JR Smith accepting player option. Lin & Landry worth $4M per with Bibby & Walker around $1.5M per. JR Smith's $2.5M would leave roughly $3M after re-signing our own players.
Tony Douglas could be used as trade bait for draft pick to whom doesn't matter. TD23 contract $2M.

If by chance, Knicks decides to take Nelson's contract then either Lin or Landry would be re-signed via MLE.

Still will have MLE to sign quality veteran either starter at PF or PG.

Still would like to see Melo restructure his contract to possibly bring in a third talent but someone that fits with Melo & Chandler.

All that writing.....
Tyson Chandler & Stat, plus a 2nd unit of Lin-Santy & Shump makes the Knicks a contender.....the missin complimentary players we have to fill in?
:gony:
Nelson or JR are not a Starter over Lin or Shump....so we dont need either.
Shump was not a better starter over Fields.

iJoe

Rotation player
Nah, I think he's a FA. They waived him right before they brought in Dalembert. Funny the Rockets payed Dalembert $7M last year (prorated down from that amount with the lockout I'm sure) and they hold a team option for him for next season at $6.7M --- Cousin could be had for a fraction of that amount, say 300-400K if that (probably less, maybe a lot less). Cousin, at his size, age & with his skillset, would be a tremendous pickup for someone for that pultry amount of change. I think pound for pound Cousin's a much better buy than Dalembert at nearly $7M, but that's me...I hope we give him a shot or at least consider him for summer ball/training camp. He'd be great here backing up Tyson. Far and away a more NBA-ready big man than Jerome Jordan in my view...My 2nd line frontcourt behind Chandler, Amar'e and Melo would be:

5 - Marcus Cousin
4 - Jeff Adrien (possibly Jorts ahead of Adrien--both would make my roster but whoever showed better in SL/training camp/pre-season would get the primary backup 4 mins.)
3 - DaJuan Summers

Think about the talent on that backup frontline for a sec...I betcha we could add all 3 of these guys for under $1M combined salary. I want real solid roster depth for next year's squad right down to the 15th man. In case the injury bug hits us again next year I want us to be ready...I'd like to see us assemble a roster that has everything we need and that's 3 deep at every position. That should be the goal. And I know for a fact they could get a lot of what they need on the cheap.

I'm getting conflicting reports about Marcus on websites. I agree he may be a nice pickup if he's available. He's not super athletic, but he'll certainly be more mobile than Harrellson.

Amare is claiming to work on his post up game this offseason and I say its about damn freakin time. I hate how he blames coaches and trainers for his lack of training or defense. He should man up and motivate himself to improve whatever is needed instead of spending his time posing for magazines.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Answer to Question 1

- No Amare will not be traded, he's here for another 1-2 seasons

Answer to Question 2

- Nash, Miller, Lin, Novak, Camby, Delonte west, Kidd, the list can go on and on there are alot of players that can help. Me personally id Snatch up Nash if possible, Resign Lin <-- he already stated he would take less to play in New york, find a way to resign Novak which we can do no problem if the union wins, then sign a vet C and draft a SF/SG in second round, Let fields walk we should still have enough to sign a SG, id sign Anthony parker or green so he can fill in until Shump recovers he will miss some of next season.

Answer to Question 3
- I agree Lin is needed the most, he is the knicks future

Answer to Question 4
- I think Lin likes it here in New york + we can match any offer

Answer to Question 5
- I really dont know i assume the same staff will return

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
My answer yo question two:

We should focus in getting a point guard and shooting guard who are SHOOTERS to complement our frontcourt of Melo, Amar'e and Chandler. As constructed, there is little space in the paint to maneuver for our guards because of the space taken up by our big 3. Fields shouldn't be the starter next year as he only clutters up the offense when his jumpshot isn't working.

Nash and Mayo would be a dream come true.... just a pipedream though lol

finestrg

Rotation player
I'm getting conflicting reports about Marcus on websites. I agree he may be a nice pickup if he's available. He's not super athletic, but he'll certainly be more mobile than Harrellson.

Amare is claiming to work on his post up game this offseason and I say its about damn freakin time. I hate how he blames coaches and trainers for his lack of training or defense. He should man up and motivate himself to improve whatever is needed instead of spending his time posing for magazines.

My thing with Cousin: I dunno man, I look around the league and I see so many fringe big men on NBA rosters, most of these guys even get PT --- Joel Anthony (I know he's useful defensively but his overall skill level is pretty low); Tony Battie; the Collins brothers; fat Eddy Curry; Erick Dampier (used to be effective, not anymore); Kyrylo Fesenko (who I think has some potential but ain't no world-beater in terms of skills); Dan Gadzuric; Aaron Gray; Ronny Turiaf (I liked Ronny but come on, dude used to pass up wide open shots with us - it was like playing 4 on 5 offensively with him); Ekpe Udoh's got potential but as of right now, this dude's about as raw as it gets; ZaZa Pachulia (who's not bad I guess to be fair); Juwan Howard (used to be a great post-up scorer/rebounder, now he's just hanging on); Hamed Haddadi; Omer Asik, Nazr Mohammed ----> come on now, nobody can convince me that these guys can get an NBA job but Marcus Cousin, with his size & skillset, can't. Or that any of these players are more skilled that Cousin..No way. I take Cousin over any of these guys right now w/o hesitation.

Again, 7' 250+, long, strong, still young, runs the court, gets the ball in close and looks to dunk it with authority, battles hard for rebounds, can score on the block with his back to the basket(excellent turnaround J and has a nice, soft hook with either hand) and that jumper of his is a thing of beauty -- TREMENDOUS TOUCH on the ball out to the college 3 and even at the FT line. Plus, he's fully capable of blocking a shot (dude went for 2 blocks/game his senior yr at Houston in limited mins.). Looks like a real nice, humble kid too. To me, it's astonishing how so many NBA teams have missed the boat on him so far. I mean, what other qualities in a 7 footer could you possibly want? I'd love to get him in here. Just bring him in for a legit look up close and let Woody and co. decide. That's all I ask. Guaranteed he'd open some eyes...

And I agree on Amar'e -- all I want is for this dude to come in in top shape (and not too heavy this time -- 245 tops, no more than that -- anything more will hinder his explosion as we saw most of this year--not being able to finish like he normally does at the rim, having his shot blocked more than normal, etc.), with a little bit more of a post game (Agreed. Why not? It could only help and provide better spacing when he and Melo are on the court at the same time) and come with the same mentality he had last year in terms of blocking shots (he was a very good shot-blocker his first year in NY -- his shot-blocking was so good at times, it's the reason I refused to call him a 'bad' defender his 1st year). I'd be happy with that. His lack of rebounding is always gonna irk me but with Chandler and whatever we get out on the wing and off the bench (Jorts should contribute, and adding Marcus Cousin & Jeff Adrien would definitely help and at a great price too), that'll help cover STAT's lack of rebounding and help make up the difference.

Last edited:

finestrg

Rotation player
My answer yo question two:

We should focus in getting a point guard and shooting guard who are SHOOTERS to complement our frontcourt of Melo, Amar'e and Chandler. As constructed, there is little space in the paint to maneuver for our guards because of the space taken up by our big 3. Fields shouldn't be the starter next year as he only clutters up the offense when his jumpshot isn't working.

Nash and Mayo would be a dream come true.... just a pipedream though lol

Agree. I might even let Fields walk to be honest. Let's see what kind of raise he's gonna be looking for...If it's too rich for our blood, he can go elsewhere. And I like Fields... He just regressed so badly this year (since the day we brought Melo in actually) that I don't think I can justify giving him anything substantial. He's easily replacable and we could do it real cheap too --- 6'6" Sylven Landesberg and 6'7" Jamelle Horne are just two possibilities that are out there looking for an NBA gig (I'd argue both of these guys have higher ceilings & better skills that Landry anyway). So is 6'6" SG Kim English from Mizzou. That kid can really shoot the ball from deep. I'd snatch him up in a heartbeat if he's there in the 2nd round. I might even hatch out a plan to move up a little into the top of the 2nd round/low 1st round in order to get him. He'd be a great fit here -- he'd really open things up with his outside shooting.

I don't see how the money will be there for Steve Nash -- unless we get this ruling to go in our favor where Lin & Novak qualify for Bird rights which will then free us up to sign them to whatever AND THEN use our salary exceptions elsewhere. :crossfingers:

I'd love to get Nash & a guy like Mayo. Who wouldn't? But I think we could simulate some of what those guys bring to the table going the cost-effective "money ball" route:

PG upgrades we should seriously consider: Matt Janning/Ben Hansbrough/Demetri McCamey/Curtis Jerrells
Wing upgrades: DaJuan Summers/Sylven Landesberg/Jamelle Horne/Kim English (2nd round draft choice)

Matt Janning

Ben Hansbrough

Hansbrough vs. Kemba Walker in college

Demetri McCamey

Curtis Jerrells (has as much talent as Brandon Jennings in my opinion)

DaJuan Summers

Sylven Landesberg (from a couple of years ago -- he's refined his jumper since then, probably gotten stronger & more mature no doubt)

Jamelle Horne

Kim English (from a couple of years ago -- he's gotten even better -- dude shot an incredible 46% from 3 last year)

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
Bill Walker was waived

Fields is def not a "need" and I would not mind if he walked since he does nothing on offense and is over rated

We need to resign Lin or go after Nash, try to get Jr to accept the mini mid level, try to get Novak to accept the bi annual, resign Harrelson...maybe Jordan

Get another PG

maybe resign Bibby as the 3rd string PG since he came out strong at the end of the season and in the playoffs

get a steal in the draft in 2nd round

and buy a 1st round draft pick

skisloper

Starter
Bill Walker was waived

Fields is def not a "need" and I would not mind if he walked since he does nothing on offense and is over rated

We need to resign Lin or go after Nash, try to get Jr to accept the mini mid level, try to get Novak to accept the bi annual, resign Harrelson...maybe Jordan

Get another PG

maybe resign Bibby as the 3rd string PG since he came out strong at the end of the season and in the playoffs

get a steal in the draft in 2nd round

and buy a 1st round draft pick

Remind me why JR is a better team player then Fields ?

Is it shooting % ?
Assists ?
Defense ?
Rebounds ?
Team play ?

Fields outside shock sucks no doubt....Lets hope Allan Houston can correct it,...If he cannot he will still be a very tradeable player.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Remind me why JR is a better team player then Fields ?

Is it shooting % ?
Assists ?
Defense ?
Rebounds ?
Team play ?

Fields outside shock sucks no doubt....Lets hope Allan Houston can correct it,...If he cannot he will still be a very tradeable player.
JR Smith can be that spark off the bench with Fields along with Lin find two big men to join them for a full court up tempo offense...

JR Smith is better when he is on, Fields is a scrappy player but is a lot more intelligent and his game will improve over time...

Both Lin & Fields need to improve their individual games, as JR needs to control his compulsive need to put up 50 attempts per game...