The Official Offseason FA Thread.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
In this thread we discuss possible FA (restricted & unrestricted) signings in the offseason, wouldn't mind a Mod making this a sticky if it catches.

As there are so many FA's this offseason i'll only be reviewing the ones that are either likely signings or have shown interest/been shown interest by the Knicks.

Feel free to add any I may have missed (serious options only).

Point Guards:

-

Jeremy Lin
1202015_jeremy_lin_reuters_328.jpeg

Lin has been our knight in shining armour this season and is pretty much a lock to be resigned especially with Dolan squirming at the thought of the publicity he will generate. Despite interest from other teams most are tipping Lin to return to New York.
Signing status: Very probable

Steve Nash
steve-nash1.jpg

Many have dreamt of Nash playing in NY with his old buddy Amare Stoudemire, however this seems fairly unlikely pending the re-signing of Jeremy Lin. When D'Antoni's departure from the big city Nash's hopes of coming here may have taken a hit. Nash has been quoted as saying he will not return to the Suns if several improvements are not made and he is also quoted to be looking for a "3 year deal".
Signing status: Improbable (Based on the signing of Lin.)

Andre Miller
amiller.png

Miller last night threw Denver under the bus, saying "i'd like to play in a team that can get out of the first round" and "if i'm going to be forced to play backup, it's going to be for a contender". Chances are he won't re-sign in the Mile High City with the imminent rise of Ty Lawson. I haven't been able to find any legit sources linking him to the Knicks but many rumours about him going to Miami or NY are appearing. Only question that presents itself is: would he take a pay cut to play back up to Lin? I believe he could be a very solid backup PG and help put us toward the upper echelon of the Eastern Conference.
Signing Status: Possible

Patty Mills
patty-mills1.png

A very underrated player who has been able to showcase his skill set in his brief period with the Spurs this year. Pending he doesn't return to San Antonio i believe we should pursue him as he is an underrated scorer and playmaker, he is also quite athletic and can keep pace with some of the quicker guards in the league. Finally, he could be got for a Vet Min price range.

Shooting Guards
JR Smith & Landry Fields
220x.jpg

It's a very real possibility that one or both of these guys re-signs with us this offseason, pending that happens, I believe our depth will be adequate at this position.
Signing Status: Fields: Probable, JR Smith: Possible

Small Forward
Grant Hill:
Grant-Hill_bg.jpg

Very few are aware how close the Knicks were to getting Grant Hill to signing for the bi-annual exception last offseason. It was only a last minute meeting with Steve Nash that made him decide to stay and watch the sunset in Phoenix for one more season. With Nash a solid chance of leaving, Hill may look to also take his talents elsewhere. He would prove to be a very solid backup for Melo and would increase our depth considerably.

Power Forwards
Jarred Jeffries:
jeffries270_2.jpg

Jeffries has proved to be the blood and guts of the Knicks team, doing all the dirty work and often taking out the trash. Pending he recovers well from his offseason surgery I would expect to see him return to Mob Deep to provide his hustle & defense.
Signing status: Probable

Kenyon Martin:
kenyon-martin.jpeg

Martin could be a very solid backup for STAT and would provide much needed aggression on the boards and versatile defense. Due to his piss poor attitude, want for a large contract and being Billups bum buddy (how's that for a tongue twister folks), seems unlikely to arrive here.
Signing Status: Improbable

Centers
Marcus Camby
cambyknicks.jpg

Just the memory of him valiantly filling in for Patrick Ewing gets me excited, however, he could probably command a much larger salary elsewhere and a larger role. Camby would undoubtedly provide us with great defense and rebounding but I just don't believe if he would give up alot of money to come back here. For those interested he has already earned $119,000,000 so far in his career but will probably choose elsewhere for more playing time. On a side note im still optimistic that Jerome Jordan could pan out to be a very solid backup centre given the minutes.
Signing Status: Pipe Dream

CA7

Scoring Champ
I wanna add these 3 guys if we get the early bird rights for Novak, Lin and Fields

Kirk Hinrich, Deshawn Stevenson and Lamar Kardashian(if he gets his head right)

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Wow that's an awesome post.

The biggest names are the old guys and this is good for us. This team needs veterans. I don't think the core can win anything, but if this is your core then you add the veterans. It's always going to be a terrible team but you gotta give them what fits.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Wow that's an awesome post.

The biggest names are the old guys and this is good for us. This team needs veterans. I don't think the core can win anything, but if this is your core then you add the veterans. It's always going to be a terrible team but you gotta give them what fits.

Cheers man! I think one of the large bonuses if the union ruling goes in our favour and we land Steve Nash is that Grant Hill will definitely follow him and most probably sign for the Vets Min (would be absolutely brilliant in our second unit and a solid backup for Melo).

I wanna add these 3 guys if we get the early bird rights for Novak, Lin and Fields

Kirk Hinrich, Deshawn Stevenson and Lamar Kardashian(if he gets his head right)

Alot of people readily put alot of crap on Odom but he had a rough year or so. Obviously being part of the championship lakers core then pretty much being dumped made him feel very unwanted and demanded a trade.

I also know his driver accidentally hit and killed a kid while Lamar was in the car during the late offseason and he was very traumatised by this. His salary could be a worry but could be a great contributor nonetheless.

Rob Low

Rotation player
Kenyon Martin is actually a lot closer to Melo than Billups. He's also very cool with Amare and Jr so I could see him coming here. If not we should try to get Reggie Evans to back up Stat. We should go hard for Camby though so Chandler doesn't burn him self out before the playoffs and I don't trust Jordan at all. If we can get 2 out of those 3 guys we'll be good.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Kenyon Martin is actually a lot closer to Melo than Billups. He's also very cool with Amare and Jr so I could see him coming here. If not we should try to get Reggie Evans to back up Stat. We should go hard for Camby though so Chandler doesn't burn him self out before the playoffs and I don't trust Jordan at all. If we can get 2 out of those 3 guys we'll be good.

As long as we add a solid rebounder/defender in the second unit to go with Jeffries and a solid backup PG i'll be more than happy. This offseason could be crucial for the makeup of our team for the next 3 years and plenty of moves to be made. Also looking for Grunwald to prove last offseason was no fluke.

Depending on a few circumstances, our second unit could look like:

Nash/Miller/Hinrich
Smith/Fields/Deshawn Stevenson if JR bails
Hill/Novak
Evans/Martin/Jeffries/Novak
Jeffries/Camby

I'd just love for us to get a great rebounding and defensive minded PF/C combination in the second unit much like the Gibson/Asik combo that the Bulls hace. Plenty of energy and fire off the bench will be essential on the boards.

skisloper

Starter
As long as we add a solid rebounder/defender in the second unit to go with Jeffries and a solid backup PG i'll be more than happy. This offseason could be crucial for the makeup of our team for the next 3 years and plenty of moves to be made. Also looking for Grunwald to prove last offseason was no fluke.

Depending on a few circumstances, our second unit could look like:

Nash/Miller/Hinrich
Smith/Fields/Deshawn Stevenson if JR bails
Hill/Novak
Evans/Martin/Jeffries/Novak
Jeffries/Camby

I'd just love for us to get a great rebounding and defensive minded PF/C combination in the second unit much like the Gibson/Asik combo that the Bulls hace. Plenty of energy and fire off the bench will be essential on the boards.

I do not think signing Jeffires makes sense....The guy is injury prone and its hard to get a full season out of him....The only way he stays healthy is if he starts playing a more cautious game and then he is worthless....

Reggie Evans I like...we need some bruisers

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
If by chance Melo & Crew restructure their contracts or one player Not Melo is traded... Then some RFAs to fill that role:

Jason Thompson (Kings) PF/C to
Nic Batum (Trail Blazers) SG/SF
D.J. Augustin (Bobcats) PG

Any of these would be valued pickups

Unrestricted players which could elevate our roster:

Daniel Orton (Magic) C
Lavoy Allen (76ers) PF
Jeremy Evans (Jazz) PF/SF
Kenyon Martin (Clippers) PF
Damion James (Nets) SF/SG
Alonzo Gee (Cavaliers) SG/SF
Marco Belinelli (Hornets) SG