Woodson To Sign Long Term This Week

skisloper

Starter
I agree he kind of looked at Melo/JR like Joe Johnson/Jamal Crawford and relied heavily on them to win us the game

But to use the 1 JR game or this series to say Woodson shouldn't come back or JR should opt out is stupid in my eyes

What I fear is that Woodsons coaching style will give us a winning season as he did in Atlanta and a losing playoff record. His style works for the season but as we saw in a multiple game series it changes....Forget its the Heat but his inability to have a single set play for Novak is very mind blowing,,,,,,,

I did not say Woodson should not come back...Yes I said I would take Phil Jackson or Jeff Van gundy first. But at this point we are with Woodson and I just hope he learns from his mistakes,,,,,,,,,,We have spent a great number of years of being totally aggravated with Dantonios stubborness and I just dont want to get to the playoffs and Woodson become a stiff...

As for JR I am not a fan.....I do not see him as a team player who makes other guys better.............He is a chucker and that is not what we need....Of course at times he will get hot but other times he just fades.....My issue is his LOW BBall IQ and not being a team player.

CA7

Scoring Champ
What I fear is that Woodsons coaching style will give us a winning season as he did in Atlanta and a losing playoff record. His style works for the season but as we saw in a multiple game series it changes....Forget its the Heat but his inability to have a single set play for Novak is very mind blowing,,,,,,,

I did not say Woodson should not come back...Yes I said I would take Phil Jackson or Jeff Van gundy first. But at this point we are with Woodson and I just hope he learns from his mistakes,,,,,,,,,,We have spent a great number of years of being totally aggravated with Dantonios stubborness and I just dont want to get to the playoffs and Woodson become a stiff...

As for JR I am not a fan.....I do not see him as a team player who makes other guys better.............He is a chucker and that is not what we need....Of course at times he will get hot but other times he just fades.....My issue is his LOW BBall IQ and not being a team player.

I just think it will work better for us because unlike Atlanta where Joe Johnson was the go to guy we have Carmelo Anthony, they had Josh Smith we have the defensive player of the year Tyson Chandler, he never had a point guard we have the best point guard in the NBA Jeremy Lin. He usually had 6 guys deep we have 8-10 guys deep.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
^^^ Great post. Woody deserves another shot next year. That said, I hope the Knicks don't sign him to a 5 year deal.

I think 4 years is a good call. See out 2014-15 and the contracts of our big 3 - as of right now we have $0 signed on for the following season (15-16) and will not be able to make many moves in the meantime.

The next 2 seasons for the Knicks are absolutely enormous, and I'm glad we have a defensive mindset with the prototypical blueprint for playoff success in Chandler, Melo and Lin ~ size, defense, offense and play making. Re Lin, so much hangs on to the league's ruling being in favor of the union about signing waived players....

If we can enter next season with a healthy 5 (excluding Shump): Chandler, STAT, Melo, Fields(?) and Lin and maintain Smith, Novak and a healthy Jefferies I think we're poised to do very well, and should finally meet that expectation of 3rd in the East.

Sage

Rotation player
Unless we magically got someone like Phil Jackson, Woodson should be the main guy (even over Van Gundy).

I think I said offer Woodson no more than 2 years earlier in the thread, but Crazy's post had kinda swayed me.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I wouldn't give him any more than 2yrs.

He's an average coach.

He's no better than Mike D'Antoni. Infact he's not as talented a coach as D'Ant.

He's about as good as Vinnie Del Negro or somebody like that.

Sucks that we'll never have a really GREAT coach here. Dolan's too much of a wackadoodle.

iSaYughh

Starter
I wouldn't give him any more than 2yrs.

He's an average coach.

He's no better than Mike D'Antoni. Infact he's not as talented a coach as D'Ant.

He's about as good as Vinnie Del Negro or somebody like that.

Sucks that we'll never have a really GREAT coach here. Dolan's too much of a wackadoodle.

+1

Agree with every single point. Del Negro is an excellent comparison.

And it's pretty accurate: at this point we have had HOF coaches, defensive geniuses, offensive geniuses...all leaving under ignominious terms because of Dolan, and beef with his dumb ass and him interjecting into the franchise.

This is why Walsh and D'antoni are gone. Plan Dolan is fully in effect. Whether you find parts of the plan attractive or not, it is what it is: this team is firmly being influenced by Dolan.

4 year deal seems outrageous to me. Anything above 2years I think is insane, barring Dolan being cool just firing Woodson and some pt and paying him off.

4 or 5 year deal? I'd expect those years if we made the NBA Finals and Woodson looked great along the way.

edit -- I'm actually fine with Woodson too on a 2yr deal; and I'm hopeful as a Knick fan to see him really make this team fly, and I do believe he should be given a shot (assuming nobody better is out there).

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
Really?

@christomasson: Jerry Sloan on interest in Orlando Magic job: ?Yes, I think so. It would be very intriguing. But they would have to be interested in me.??
I am really surprised Sloan doesnt let his agent contacting the teams or publicist doing the talking with the media. Perhaps he is more desperate for a coaching job. He showed 'interest' not only with Magic but Bobcats and Knicks before that. Sloan really needs a coaching job now, or else, he just might go back to the bottle!

I just think it will work better for us because unlike Atlanta where Joe Johnson was the go to guy we have Carmelo Anthony, they had Josh Smith we have the defensive player of the year Tyson Chandler, he never had a point guard we have the best point guard in the NBA Jeremy Lin. He usually had 6 guys deep we have 8-10 guys deep.
Best PG in NBA? Is this Lala?
J/K...
If Woodson is the coach, he will need:

- Hire a potent offesive coordinator.

- Look at films of other teams playbooks. MDA system is great when you have Novak and JR for 3's and Lin or Melo/Stat or TC PnR.
http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/12/26/carmelo-anthony-and-the-pick-roll/
Modify Pov's Power Post Playbook and use Melo in place of Duncan, one of the most dealiest playbooks in NBA. All players pose as scoring threats.

- Hire a couple stasticians and give each player and the team with higher % in both offense and defense.

- Hire a video coordinator to help each player with his weakness in shooting and defense.

- Put Melo into a vigorous off season workout program. Hell, demand him to join Durant and LeBron this off season!

skisloper

Starter

Again is it he did not have or did not need ?
Its very difficult to utilize a PG to his full potential if you are running so many ISO's....

as for Atlanta's bench,,,,,,,,,,,Yes the Knicks have a deep bench or we did....
I think Woodson to eliminate the best 3 point shooter in the NBA from any set play was just ludicrous...

Do you not ask the simple question ,,,,,

Coach Woodson why were you unable to design any plays to get Novak a single open shot in 5 games ?

LV&C

Benchwarmer
Won?t happen Shump. People are fickle as hell , I am sure I can pull comments of some of these people who were on Woodson's dick during the win streak. Continuity is the only way to win in sports.

A. Stop looking for the quick fix
B. Have faith in your coach / players
C. Stop thinking you know more than the people who are paid to do this for a living.

Have a nice day.

Agree! :thumbsup:

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Woodson, according to a source, received a three-year deal believed to be between $10 and $12 million.

Wargames

Starter
Woodson, according to a source, received a three-year deal believed to be between $10 and $12 million.

"Woodson inks deal w/2 guaranteed years & an option on 3rd. Four million per year, according to StephenASmith"

Link

Saw this on another forum and you know what I like it. As I said earlier I am ok with them giving in to nepotism as long as they just show that their learning from their past mistakes. Only giving Woodson 2 years guaranteed with a 3 year team option that coincides with the 2015 deadline on the majority of the Knicks contracts is a great move. It means if Woody fails he is gone in 2 seasons (which is reasonable) and if they decide to keep him for the final year of the Melo era for continuity reason they have that covered too. Also if he does great cool there are 3 years before they have to worry about re-signing him.

Other interesting things of note Woodson decided to sign to CAA before he made the deal and Grunwald said the Knicks intend to keep Fields and Lin.

munco

Benchwarmer
He deserved the deal, but I don't think he's a great coach. I think he's good, but not one of the best in the league.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
I think the guy sucks. Woodson averaged 34 wins per year over 6 years with the Hawks. He's a bum coach.

To put Woodson and D'Antoni in the same sentence is an insult to D'Antoni, that's the fact, Jack.

Woodson, if he prayed every day and he had a bag of miracles that maybe a giant gave him, and this giant said to Woodson,

"Woody, what is your one wish in the world?"

And Woodson said,

"To be as good as D'Antoni at coaching basketball."

And the giant said,

"Hahahaha, this is stupid wish I cannot even grant this! The unicorns can't even grant this, it is impossible! Wish for something more realistic."

That's how it would go down, please stop comparing Woodson (a fugazy coach) to D'Antoni (a quality REAL coach).

Why is Woodson a fugazy coach? Because he sucks at coaching, any ******* can say "Give it to Melo" and that's it.

Woodson is like Melo, he's like Amar'e: full of empty platitudes.

Reactions: pat

Bharan

Rookie
Even if I didn't want Woodson for the Job, all I've ever wanted since the Isiah years was a Knicks team that could get stops.

If it's a defensive oriented 2-3 years, then so be it.

Us Knicks fans are blood thirsty for defensive oriented teams. Spoiled by the 90s perhaps.:crossfingers: