This Knicks Draft Season

Wargames

Starter
I agree with you, we definetely got lucky lately, hopefully it keeps going. From what I just read the bird rights arbitration went in our favor, let's hope it holds up as I also read from another poster that the NBA can appeal.

That arbitration ruling is going to have a major influence on the draft choice that is for sure.

BananaSauce

Benchwarmer
that's what is concerning me is DJO's size and lack of pg skill set. mostly his size.

well, if they (scouts and GMs)were impressed defensively i guess i'll just have to wait and see.

Wargames

Starter
Alan Hahn confirms the knicks do in fact have $3 Million of cash consideration

http://www.msg.com/blogs/alan-hahn/...association-win-in-court-has-huge-linpac.html

If a team is looking to sell and take nothing back, the Knicks have the pieces, plus $3 million in cash considerations, to put on the table.

The Thunders 28th pick is up for grabs since the rumor is the Thunder do not want to have to pay for a late draft pick who likely wont get playing time. Hell Reggie Jackson was drafted at 24 for them and can't break into their regular rotation.

Draft Express has 2 pg's late Marquis Teague and Tyshawn Taylor that are still on the board around the end of the draft.

Marquis Teague

Tyshawn Taylor

finestrg

Rotation player
Jesus, if this is true man...We won the Bird rights ruling AND now we suddenly DO have the cash to move up in this draft?? Wow...Words can't even describe if this is true...

I'd love to believe this but something tells me this might be a slight oversight on Hahn's part...Enough people around here have already confirmed it isn't so. Hey we can only hope though, right?

Wargames

Starter
Jesus, if this is true man...We won the Bird rights ruling AND now we suddenly DO have the cash to move up in this draft?? Wow...Words can't even describe if this is true...

I'd love to believe this but something tells me this might be a slight oversight on Hahn's part...Enough people around here have already confirmed it isn't so. Hey we can only hope though, right?

Maybe the cash considerations reset before the draft the official end of the season? Or maybe you can promise the money from the upcoming season prior to the the end of Free Agency?

Either way I agree with you I hope Hahn is right, being able to get two rookies to fill out the roster instead of one would be great alongside the returning players and the added Free Agency. It should be enough to give the Knicks guaranteed depth for the rest of the Core 3's contracts.

finestrg

Rotation player
Maybe the cash considerations reset before the draft the official end of the season? Or maybe you can promise the money from the upcoming season prior to the the end of Free Agency?

Either way I agree with you I hope Hahn is right, being able to get two rookies to fill out the roster instead of one would be great alongside the returning players and the added Free Agency. It should be enough to give the Knicks guaranteed depth for the rest of the Core 3's contracts.

Hey, speaking of the contracts of the core 3 -- I wonder if and when Knick mgmt. every approaches them all about restructuring their deals a little to possibly free up a little cap room...I thought I remember reading that this was something new that was negociated in the new CBA. I wonder if our 3 main guys would even be open to it and then I wonder how it works exactly -- suppose we're over by several million say, and all 3 guys agree to defer $1M each but after we're still over -- can we use that $3M on a FA or do you have to get team payroll under no matter what before we can do anything with that money? I mean asking any player to give up more than a million bucks in any one season is probably pushing it..

Last edited:

Wargames

Starter
Hey, speaking of the contracts of the core 3 -- I wonder if and when Knick mgmt. every approaches them all about restructuring their deals a little to possibly free up a little cap room...I thought I remember reading that this was something new that was negociated in the new CBA. I wonder if our 3 main guys would even be open to it and then I wonder how it works exactly -- suppose we're over by several million say, and all 3 guys agree to defer $1M each but after we're still over -- can we use that $3M on a FA or do you have to get team payroll under no matter what before we can do anything with that money? I mean asking any player to give up more than a million bucks in any one season is probably pushing it..

IDK but I wonder how would Carmelo's player option affect their ability to backload his contract? Though u never know it could happen if the players involved feel the team needs one more piece to feel complete for a championship.

finestrg

Rotation player
So impressed with Kim English in this interview: http://www.msg.com/videos/kim-english-pre-draft-workout-621.html

- Compares himself, rather he respectfully says he "patterns his game" after Ray Allen/Rip/Korver offensively and Shumpert/Sefalosha defensively, making sure to praise Allen as a first ballot hall of famer and Shump for being a bigger & better athlete than he is. This is why I love this guy -- he's right on the money explaining who he is. I've been saying it for months, he does resemble Ray Allen a lot out there and it's true, he really is a pesky defender. Sounds like he's ready to make his mark on both ends of the court. Not just talking outta the side of his mouth either -- believe me, he's capable.. He'd be such a good fit here. Like a glove.

- Loved how he said that he would work out for anybody -- the Hawks in the 1st round, the Knicks at 48, San Antonio at 59 -- doesn't matter. No ego, no big head. Said whoever drafts him is "gonna get a good SG for the next 12 years." So impressive to hear that not only does he plan on making it, but that he plans on sticking around for awhile. You just don't generally hear kids talk like this. A lot of kids say similar things but it's in the way English presents it all with such conviction that makes you a believer..

- When a reporter tried to get him to say where he though he'd get drafted, all he said was that he and his agent "have a range" and that's it. Didn't bite and start talking about how high he expects to go, etc..Said he's no a premadonna...We've seen it before -- prospects hurt themselves talking like that all the time (look at Scotty Hopson coming out of Tenn. last yr -- that poor kid got crucified for saying he thought he'd go high---I still think Hopson's a good, talented player that can play in the NBA btw)...Perfect answer by English here. Every answer he gave in this interview was perfect as a matter of fact. Maturity & high character are things these teams look for in a player and this dude definitely looks to have both in spades.

- LOVED how he said "I'm 23 and a college graduate" after the reporter called him "a nice kid." You can tell he may have taken that as condescending a little bit, yet took in stride..Again, perfect answer. PERFECT.

I'm still drooling over Orlando Johnson but English is still very high on my list for the Knicks:

1. Orlando Johnson (I can't believe we never worked this kid out -- they're nuts. Unless he already got a promise much higher and refused a Knick workout invitation).
2. Kim English
3. Kevin Murphy
4. Hollis Thompson
5. Darius Johnson-Odom
6. Scott Machado
7. Mitchell Watt
8. Mike Scott

I want a 2G upgrade in the worst way--would love any of the top 5, probably in that order. I like Machado as a PG late in this draft though I feel w can go find a good one elsewhere on the cheap (Ben Hansbrough, Curtis Jerrells) and these are the 2 PFs I like late. Watt reminds me of Josh McRoberts a lot, a guy I've always liked (higher ceiling than McRoberts possibly), and Scott would be a nice backup 4 behind Amar'e that can come in and contribute right away. My buddy has been talking up big Yancy Gates recently and I told him I thought Scott's the better player. Just too many question marks with Gates (size/conditioning issues, maturity issues, underachiever so far, does he want it bad enough?, etc).

Last edited:

KnicksFan4Life

Benchwarmer
IDK but I wonder how would Carmelo's player option affect their ability to backload his contract? Though u never know it could happen if the players involved feel the team needs one more piece to feel complete for a championship.

Maybe someone can double check for me but I remember reading a provision somewhere you can defer a contract and stretch over 2x plus 1 year of the existing contract. For example, Amare has 3yrs/65M left on his deal. The Knicks and Amare could agree to restructure his deal to 7yrs/65M. So instead paying him an average salary of around 22M for the next 3 years they would pay him an avg salary of roughly 9.5M for the next 7 years. I also believe you are only allowed to do this once a year and you cannot restructure a contract that has already been restructured. Again I am not 100% sure.

Paul1355

All Star
Maybe someone can double check for me but I remember reading a provision somewhere you can defer a contract and stretch over 2x plus 1 year of the existing contract. For example, Amare has 3yrs/65M left on his deal. The Knicks and Amare could agree to restructure his deal to 7yrs/65M. So instead paying him an average salary of around 22M for the next 3 years they would pay him an avg salary of roughly 9.5M for the next 7 years. I also believe you are only allowed to do this once a year and you cannot restructure a contract that has already been restructured. Again I am not 100% sure.

this is true but realistically Stat would never do that, the guy will make over 20 million 3 years in a row

finestrg

Rotation player
Been reading a lot about Jae Crowder as the Knicks pick. I think Chad Ford has us taking him at 48 over at ESPN. Nice player -- useful, a lot of intangibles -- good motor, can score a little, good defensive player, potential stat stuffer...Like I've been saying though, if you can get the same type of player elsewhere, don't burn the pick. Use it on someone else. A guy that Crowder really reminds me of is Marqus Blakely, a 6'5" long, athletic SG/SF that went undrafted outta Vermont a couple of years ago. VERY similar to one another...See, the Knicks need to be smart about stuff like this -- go sign Blakely for peanuts if you want that type of defensive wing and then draft a legit 2 that can shoot, a PG (Machado) or a legit PF...That's how I'd go about my business here.

finestrg

Rotation player
A little further on Crowder -- truth be told, he probably is better than Blakely. Much better shooter...Maybe he's something closer to Kawhi Leonard only a better shooter as a youtube commenter pointed out on one of his videos. I see a little Ro Balkman too with a much better offensive game..

Anyone out there have a better feel for Crowder than I do -- does he have enough skill to play some 2 or is that asking too much? He's not a pure shooter but he can shoot it -- more of a volume shooter...But with his intangibles (rebounding, toughness, strength, strong defense, surprisingly decent offensive game), if we could play him at the 2 some, he could be a huge mismatch in our favor on both ends. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Interesting stuff on Jae, I saw a few videos of him working out pre-combine on youtube. I don't know much about him, but I'm not sure about taking a bigger body and plugging him in at the 2 again. Even though he isn't the 6'8'' that Landry is, Landry's lack of lateral quickness scares me about any non-freak athletes playing the 3 in college, then moving down to the 2 in the NBA. I do like the all around nature to his game (there's a video where he makes a nice no-look dump off pass, in the paint, to a teammate cutting to the rim).

I wouldn't be surprised if he was the only one available at 48 between, him, Kim, and Orlando.

If I could package Landry in a trade to move up for Orlando, then I'd take both Orlando (or Kim) and Jae. Let him stay at the 3, where he might be a bit undersized, but his motor and the athleticism that he does have, would be an advantage for him against a good portion of the 3s in the league. But with the 2s coming out this year, and some of the guys already in the league, Jae would get those ligaments tied up in a knot if he were guarding 2s.

finestrg

Rotation player
What a ****ing joke...LOL. Unbelieveable -- with Scott Machado, a PG we could've gotten to help out right now; DJO, a Monta Ellis-type scorer and great athlete; Hollis Thompson a great shooter, etc. all still on the board, we take some Greek SF that'll never come here. WTF are they doing???????????????

Nevermind that we already have a ****ing Greek SF stashed away in Georgios Printezis --- where the F is this guy supposed to play?? We already have a top-5 NBA SF who's in his prime that plays 40 mins a night. Even if we could somehow sign this guy and bring him here in a year or two from now, where does he play? Absolute joke -- we need help right now. This is the type of pick you make if you're a 55-60 win championship-type ball club who's roster is set, not a team with a 3-4 yr window for it's stars to win right now...Wasted pick. So pissed off with this I could spit...Makes no sense ----- ZERO!

BananaSauce

Benchwarmer
so who we got undrafted valueable to us?

DJO gone
OJ gone
english gone
murphy gone
nicholson gone
crowder gone
joseph gone

watts
scoop...oops, nevermind scoop broke his foot.
machado
tu

who's left for us?

BananaSauce

Benchwarmer
i wonder if the knicks offered him... sounds a lot like grunwald's idea.
Machado said he spoke with a few teams late in the second round, but they wanted him tom play a year or two overseas first, which he doesn’t feel is necessary.
“It’s another stepping stone I have to get over,” he said. “It’s going to motivate me a lot.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/iona_machado_draft_snub_adds_fuel_s9xddiTQ0ghk6pZRkyWTFN?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=More%20Sports

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
so who we got undrafted valueable to us?

DJO gone
OJ gone
english gone
murphy gone
nicholson gone
crowder gone
joseph gone

watts
scoop...oops, nevermind scoop broke his foot.
machado
tu

who's left for us?
Machado or TU ! but neither is really a MUST since we are chasing guards this free agency. I still would of liked one of these guys as a 3rd string backup PG in case of injuries.