KNICKS #1 on Lamar Odom's List

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/19910/source-new-york-no-1-on-odoms-list

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...york-knicks-lamar-odom-top-choice-free-agency

What's next for Lamar Odom?

There's no easy answer there.

The Mavs will attempt to trade Odom before June 29. Any team that has Odom on its roster by that date will be responsible for paying him the $2.4 million in guaranteed money he's owed next year.

If Dallas can't get rid of Odom in a trade, it will likely waive him and be responsible for paying Odom his guaranteed money. That's something Dallas would obviously rather avoid.

If the Mavericks are forced to waive Odom, he would become a free agent. In that scenario, the Queens native would likely be looking at a significant pay cut from the $8.2 he was scheduled to make this season.

Would he be interested in coming to New York at a discounted rate?

A source with knowledge of Odom's thinking says yes. The source says the Knicks would be "on the top of his list" if Odom became a free agent.

"Lamar is big on being comfortable," the source said. "And New York is somewhere he can be comfortable."

It makes sense that Odom would be open to a return to New York.

His versatility -- interior scoring and rebounding in particular -- would be of great value in the Knicks' second unit. He proved in Los Angeles that he can thrive off the bench in a supporting role on a team with stars in its starting five. Odom helped the Lakers win two titles in that role.

Of course, there's a risk involved with bringing Odom in -- even at the veteran's minimum or mini mid-level.

Odom had a rocky season in Dallas after being traded by the Lakers. The Mavs kept him on the inactive list for the final 16 games of the regular season in an effort to sever ties while retaining the ability to trade him.

Though Odom's stint in Dallas was heavy on drama, it was light on production. He averaged career lows of 6.6 points and 4.1 rebounds in 20.5 minutes.

The source close to Odom says that he's eager to put the experience past him. He has started offseason workouts already, with eyes on an Olympic roster spot and with the motivation to prove that he's a better player than the one who struggled through last season.

"It definitely won't be the fiasco that it was last year," the Odom source said of the 13-year veteran's approach to 2012-13. "He wants to find a place where he can end his career, and New York is ideal. He's won championships in the past and he wants to win another. And to do it there would be great."

Any thoughts??? would you make a move to get him??

Last edited:

iSaYughh

Starter
It could be a really good move (upside : salary).

But I personally revile him so much....I'm not sure I could even root for him as a Knick, after what he did to Dallas.

The epitome of a bitch with balls.

Sage

Rotation player
Ugh.. We do need someone at that backup centre position, but Odom...

I'd be real torn about this.

tiger0330

Legend
If it comes down to giving Novakaine or Odom the bi-annual Odom is a no brainer for me. Or trade TD to Dallas for him.

Uncle Robo

Benchwarmer
Odom would help the team.
He didn't want to be in Dallas and played like it.

He played well in LA, and if Knicks can get him for cheap, it'd be a good pick up.
Knicks have limited spending options, so this move makes sense.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Low risk high reward situation. It was just 1 year ago when he won 6th man of the year. Plus, its not bad to have another guy with championship experience on the team.

JR
Odom
Shump

That's a pretty good bench core

STAT1

Starter
To replace Jared Jeffries, I would welcome Odom with open arms. But only to replace Jared Jeffries. Otherwise there's really no role for him here.

Wargames

Starter
If this is true and he comes to play I only see upsides to it. He had a horrible year last year cause he never wanted to by a Mav and you know his wife was unhappy and in turn made him unhappy. If he plays in NY she can go crazy shopping while he can focus on basketball.

Also as a PF he would likely be a better fit than Amare next to Melo.

Paul1355

All Star

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
I don't care what anyone who wishes to hate on Odom says, if he is available to us for the Bi-Annual, we get him, period.

Having Odom in Mob Deep will be brilliant, he will provide everything we need off the bench and would prove to be a great back up for Amare. He is the exact type of player that will thrive in the front court with Melo and Chandler while Amare is on the bench.

For those of you who wish to put **** on him for how he played in Dallas, let me assure you there was much more going on than reported. His driver hit and killed a young boy while Odom was in the car and he was very distraught by this and it has been said that this haunted him for months. His wife, also a large distraction with her discontent in Dallas, will be happy in NY reunited with her sister and won't be a distraction to Lamar on court.

He has reached out to us without being prompted or anything, so this is great. I have no doubt if he is waived we will pick him up. Mixed thoughts on whether Dallas can trade him or not as most teams know he is an immense talent but in the wrong environment amounts to nothing.

mafra

Legend
If we get Odom on the cheap, then it's a no-brainer move. DISMISS what happened last year in DAL. He's a sensitive guy, & he was crushed when LA traded him. The lockout happened, he never fit in on that MAVS team, and the you-know-what just hit the fan.

This guy is a gamer, and he'll be out to get his rep back. He still can play. JR Smith & Odom would instantly give the KNICKS the best bench int he NBA... it would also give them plenty of options in the 4th.

Odom can be a point fwd, he can pass, and will rebound.

I'll take him for the vet min, or whatever is left of the MLE after LIN gets his take.

Nash + Odom plus reisgning Novak-LIN (if we can get bird rights on these 2) is exactly what NY needs to do to win a title.

Nash
Shumpert
Melo
Stoudemire
Chandler

Smith, Odom, Novak, Jeffries

That 9-man rotation is ready to roll.

Plus, if you get Odom... you can afford to deal Amar'e for Gasol, or STAT & Tyson for Howard.

CA7

Scoring Champ
If JR runs for the money I really want LO in my 2.0 mock off season I have us signing him and drafting Kim English to replace JR

knicksin60

Starter
Odom is the missing piece of the Knicks' championship puzzle. If the Knicks get him there is no way that Miami is stopping them in a seven game series. Having Odom and Amar'e come off the bench would wear down other teams' frontcourt. If Grunwald doesn't do this deal then the Knicks have to find a way to lock up Jeffries for the next 5 years.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
i am torn between taking him and not.

He won sixth man of the year last yr so he had that going for him but on the other hand he has off court issues that may negatively affect his game. If JR leaves i would try and consider him if we can get him for cheap esp since jeffries has been battling injuries.

nyk_nyk

All Star
How could anyone be against this move??? Odom is VERY skilled despite what we saw in DAL. He didn't want to be there plus he had a bad year emotionally. Dudes a baller, so its silly how some judge him on a fraction of a season on a new team with no training camp when he's put in work for years with the LAL.

Odom is great at everything Amare is bad at. Hopefully this would make Amare work harder or risk dropping further down the line in fan popularity.

Also, I could care less about the Kardashian crap. If Odom comes to camp in shape and ready to rep the Knicks (his hometown) i'm good. I think Woodson would bring the best out of Odom as well being a defensive guy. Its a NY thing.