Knicks shopping Landry Fields

Hayato

Benchwarmer
The Knicks sound determined to retain Landry Fields, who is a restricted free agent.
Baron Davis (knee) won't play next year and Iman Shumpert (knee) could miss the first two months of the season, which leaves New York with just one healthy guard under contract -- Toney Douglas. J.R. Smith could pick up his player option, but the guard-starved Knicks are expected to match any reasonable offers for Fields and Jeremy Lin. May 27 - 9:56 AM

Hayato

Benchwarmer
by the way are we pursing a PG whether he's going to be a backup or starter? cause we need one

Kiyaman

Legend
This is not hate on Melo....its about our 2011-12 offense

Like it or not......We are not an ISO run offense with Melo dominating the Ball....One can only hope that Woodson gives LIN some freedom to expand on this and get the others involved.....

It is very hard to say "We are not an ISO run offense with Melo dominating the Ball", when on every offensive possesion Melo gets a touch 85% of the time trying to be a point-foward when his passing skills are not very effective on the average mediocre team.
Our 2011-12 season offense were produced, directed, and acted by Iso-Melo. No, this wouldnt have happen with Billups as our PG.

Melo has a bad habit of holding the ball to long before he put the ball on the floor to dribble into traffic....it is a known fact by all Melo's teammates and NBA oponents that Melo rarely pass the ball.

Jeremy Lin showed his freedom to keep the ball-movement wide and inside with every teammate on the roster when a 36 minute of playingtime Iso-Melo were not in the rotation.

When u dont give Melo a touch of the ball on offense......
Melo's non-movement without the ball always put Melo's defender in position to double-team the ball....why so many fans want Stat traded b/c Stat does the same exact thing...

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks sound determined to retain Landry Fields, who is a restricted free agent.
Baron Davis (knee) won't play next year and Iman Shumpert (knee) could miss the first two months of the season, which leaves New York with just one healthy guard under contract -- Toney Douglas. J.R. Smith could pick up his player option, but the guard-starved Knicks are expected to match any reasonable offers for Fields and Jeremy Lin. May 27 - 9:56 AM

The best choice for us is to retain Fields/Lin/Novak by any means neccessary.

The union arguement is to strong for the arbitrators to deny Lin & Novak their Birds-Rights. whats taking so long???

Wargames

Starter
The best choice for us is to retain Fields/Lin/Novak by any means neccessary.

The union arguement is to strong for the arbitrators to deny Lin & Novak their Birds-Rights. whats taking so long???

If we win that case I expect the Knicks to try to keep everyone healthy from last year (Fields, JR, Novak, and Lin) and then maybe try to work a deal out with odom or Ray Allen from whatever money they have left. However if the knicks lose that case then they are going to have to prioritize who stays and who goes.

That's when Sh*t gets complicated.

How much risk are they going to be willing to accept when it comes to teams bidding for their players. Lin is obviously the priority but other teams know that and I see them not doing the Knicks any favors by running the price up on what it will take to keep him. Then a scum bag organization like the Nyets could seriously try to limit the knicks as they have before by stealing a few players for the sake of simply hurting the knicks, because the knicks would be strapped financially capwise.

I hope they made a good case and they win because if not then they are going to be between a rock and a hard place this whole Free agency leading into the season.

Melo and Fields for Scottie Pippen.

Back to reality: If we can shop him for a first round pick we should do it, a guy like Doron Lamb has more upside.

Landry is a useful player in a run and gun system, but totally useless in tight games that get decided in the half court, where every posession counts (Playoffs).

Melo and Fields for Scottie Pippen.

Back to reality: If we can shop him for a first round pick we should do it, a guy like Doron Lamb has more upside.

Landry is a useful player in a run and gun system, but totally useless in tight games that get decided in the half court, where every posession counts (Playoffs).

The article's writer has updated his piece. We can't shop Fields. Not allowed to trade him for a pick since he's a free agent. You can only trade guys who are actually under contract if you want a pick in this summer's draft.

fields was awful last year..man im thinkin back to all the times he caught the ball WIDE open and hestiated to shoot and would just pass it off when a defende got near him

its a true shame we traded gallo instead of him:barf:

get rid of him!

Fields is a free agent (like Lin, Novak, Jeffries, Bibby, etc.). That means they're already gone from the Knicks roster. You have to re-sign them (fighting other teams for them) if you want them back. If you don't want to match some other team's offer, or can't under the cap, then they're gone. No need to "get rid of them" since none of them are on the Knicks roster right now.

Pearl15

Rookie
Fields is a free agent (like Lin, Novak, Jeffries, Bibby, etc.). That means they're already gone from the Knicks roster. You have to re-sign them (fighting other teams for them) if you want them back. If you don't want to match some other team's offer, or can't under the cap, then they're gone. No need to "get rid of them" since none of them are on the Knicks roster right now.
Fields has to go. Golden St. would be a good location for him. His game really went south this year and watching him shoot free throws was torture. If the Knicks could move into the top of the 2nd or last first for him that would be great. I trust Greenwald to find an adequate replacement for him. Also very glad Donnie Walsh is gone. He really blew it trading away so much for McGrady. Houston should have paid us to take that bum.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
like knickerlocker said, u can't shop around a free agent until u sign him. Why pple are talking about getting 2012 draft picks for him is beyond me.

Also, it is a dick move to just sign a player just so u can trade him later on in the season but business ethics went out the window a long time ago in the NBA.

finestrg

Rotation player
The article's writer has updated his piece. We can't shop Fields. Not allowed to trade him for a pick since he's a free agent. You can only trade guys who are actually under contract if you want a pick in this summer's draft.

Well then 2 things: either we hammer out a deal behind the curtain beforehand whereby we ask a team like Golden State to draft player X for us, we sign Fields and then trade him to GS at a later time for the player they picked for us. "Sign and Trade," no? Amounts to pretty much the same thing. Why couldn't we do it like that? Do we not have the ability to match any offer? I believe we do, right? It seems like a good match -- GS obviously has some interest, Jackson would love him and he's from the area. I think he would enjoy playing there...Plus we get pick 30 that we can really do something with..Win win..Or, if these Goddamn rules prohibit that (which, knowing the NBA and their rules, I'm sure is the case---I know 2nd round picks are tricky when their contracts are up -- they could be quicker to big money than 1st round picks provided they perform well on their 1st contract), then it's on to my original idea of dangling Douglas and Jerome Jordan, maybe even Jorts, along with pick 48 to see what I could get done there...I want Orlando Johnson -- that's the guy I would gladly take at 48 or in any deal where we could move up - say to the 30th spot or somewhere in that vicinity (30-40), as I don't see him still on the board at 48.

I still say that whatever cash we used in the Turiaf to Wash. part of the Chandler deal should be there once again for us this off-season, esp. on draft night...It should've reset itself and we should be able to use cash once again for draft trade purposes. I don't wanna hear about the lockout, a shortened season or whatever else..This Turiaf/Chandler trade was last season -- this is this season...New slate...It's bogus that we don't have that available to us. Plain and simple. Not having that cash available to include in a deal seriously jeopardizes any real attempt to upgrade our pick from 48...I might shoot Larry Coon an e-mail asking WTF is up with this if I get a min. I want an in-depth explanation.

Last edited:
Well then 2 things: either we hammer out a deal behind the curtain beforehand whereby we ask a team like Golden State to draft player X for us, we sign Fields and then trade him to GS at a later time for the player they picked for us. "Sign and Trade," no? Amounts to pretty much the same thing. Why couldn't we do it like that?
There are two types of contracts. Sign and trade contracts, and regular contracts. Sign and trade contracts are cancelled if the player doesn't get traded to the team he wants within 2 days of signing the contract. Regular contracts, on the other hand, do not allow you to trade a player until you've had him for 3 months into a season after signing. There's no way to "fool" a free agent into getting sign and traded. Do you think Golden State is going to draft X player for us, and then have him ride the pine for 3 months and play in their games and practices and waste a roster spot until the middle of the season so that they can trade him for Fields? And then have to waste more time integrating Fields into their lineup and rebuild chemistry in the middle of the season with no pre-season training camp advantage? There's no way such a "hammered out deal" would work given the time delays. Both Golden State and the Knicks would lose out on a training camp and waste their roster spot for several months into the season, putting them behind other teams, in order to do something like this. Not likely.
Do we not have the ability to match any offer? I believe we do, right?
We can match any offer. But if we match an offer, then we can't trade him for a year unless he lets us. And we are forbidden from trading him to the team we matched, even if he agrees to it.
It seems like a good match -- GS obviously has some interest, Jackson would love him and he's from the area.
If they want him, they'll just try to grab him in free agency. All they have to do is offer him more than we want to match. We certainly won't match a max offer. And we might not even match a lower offer because of the apron.
then it's on to my original idea of dangling Douglas and Jerome Jordan, maybe even Jorts, along with pick 48 to see what I could get done there
Yeah, you could try to trade Golden State something that they want for their pick. But you can't use any free agents in any Sign and Trades because of the timing.
I still say that whatever cash we used in the Turiaf to Wash. part of the Chandler deal should be there once again for us this off-season, esp. on draft night...It should've reset itself and we should be able to use cash once again for draft trade purposes. I don't wanna hear about the lockout, a shortened season or whatever else..This Turiaf/Chandler trade was last season -- this is this season...New slate...It's bogus that we don't have that available to us. Plain and simple. Not having that cash available to include in a deal seriously jeopardizes any real attempt to upgrade our pick from 48...I might shoot Larry Coon an e-mail asking WTF is up with this if I get a min. I want an in-depth explanation.
A season starts with Free Agency and ends with the Draft. The draft is considered to be at the end of a season instead of the beginning because draft order is determined by the rankings at season's end. The season doesn't start with the draft, it ends with it. So the cash doesn't reset until after the draft has ended, when a new season begins with Free Agency after the Draft.

finestrg

Rotation player
Thanks for responding and clearing it all up. I'm so bad with **** like this. LOL. Appreciate it bro. :)

:beer:

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
WOODY working with Landry on his Shot

0MMxm.png

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
WOODY working with Landry on his Shot

0MMxm.png

Good to see some lift on that mess of a jumper. The dude's literally a consistent shot away from being a real contributor/threat. He plays so well off the ball, and, though it's unlikely, I'd love for him to play a SG's role resemblant of Rip Hamilton's in Detroit.

Needless to say, he won't get a lot of opportunities with STAT, Melo and Lin on the floor next season, but if he can convert efficiently from mid/long range he'll be a thorn in the side of opponent defenses as they focus on the aforementioned 3.

Sage

Rotation player
He doesn't look very balanced in that photo, but it's really great that he's working on it.

pat

Starter
Fields' jumper has been off and with Woodson's replacement patterns he lost confidence. However, trading him for a quick fix is a bad idea. He is a smart player, a hard worker, has a skill set which allows him to do all the little things Amare and Melo will not do and he and Lin have good chemistry. Why would you chuck in for a better scoring option which will not have the ball in his hands very often? Especially seeing him and Woodson in the gym after what he did to Fields in the playoffs is a definite sign that we should keep him.