Looks like there will be no "Linsanity Rule":Whats the going rate for Novak?

New New York

Quiet Storm
Looks like there will be no "Linsanity Rule":Whats the going rate for Novak?

So basically Billy Hunter is really stupid!

The rule about a player losing their Bird Rights if they are claimed off waivers (and Free Agents who switch teams, like if Tyson Chandler only signed a 1 year deal his Bird Rights would be gone too) is written in plain English

There is no way around it!

Lin will be back

But will Novak sign for the league minimum?

Is a player who truly only has one skill worth more than a league minimum?

The Knicks could sign him for the league min. next year, which then means we own his Bird Rights next year....but that is a huge risk for Novak

Sage

Rotation player
I can't imagine any scenerio where we're thinking "Damn, if only we still have Novak on the team", he's incredibly one-dimensional, and that one dimension is pretty relient on his player leaving him to double.

If he moved without the ball or came off screens, or did anything else of great value, things might be different.

CA7

Scoring Champ
All Lin and Novak have to do is be selfless, Lin only negotiates with us and takes a max of 3mil this year and gets his deal next year, Novak takes the minimum and gets his deal next year. If they wanna be here and want us to get better thats the only way.

If Lin takes the full MLE and Novak takes the BAE then we just gotta hope we stay healthy because JR will likely pick up his option and Jeffries says he wants to come back at any cost so essentially it would

Chandler
Stoudemire
Anthony
Fields
Lin
Novak
Jeffries
Smith
Harrellson
Jordan
Douglas
2nd Round Pick- Jared Cunningham makes sense here
Vet Pick Up at PG- Bibby most likely
Shumpert

tiger0330

Legend
Let him leave, he can be easily replaced
Good luck trying to find a 47% 3pt shooter for 1.1M.

Guys that say let him leave should look at the Knicks game logs this past season and see how many games he had an impact on. If the Knicks don't win arbitration plenty of teams will offer him the mini MLE or bi annual.

Ghostowl

Benchwarmer
All Lin and Novak have to do is be selfless, Lin only negotiates with us and takes a max of 3mil this year and gets his deal next year, Novak takes the minimum and gets his deal next year. If they wanna be here and want us to get better thats the only way.

If Lin takes the full MLE and Novak takes the BAE then we just gotta hope we stay healthy because JR will likely pick up his option and Jeffries says he wants to come back at any cost so essentially it would

Chandler
Stoudemire
Anthony
Fields
Lin
Novak
Jeffries
Smith
Harrellson
Jordan
Douglas
2nd Round Pick- Jared Cunningham makes sense here
Vet Pick Up at PG- Bibby most likely
Shumpert

If you were a basketball player that knew other teams wanted you, would you settle for $2 million less?

Actually, if you were just a human being, would you settle for $2 million less? I know I wouldn't. Unless I had really high hopes that my team would win the championship with me next season. Money is money.

I can't really blame Lin if he wants what the market values him as.

STAT1

Starter
So basically Billy Hunter is really stupid!

The rule about a player losing their Bird Rights if they are claimed off waivers (and Free Agents who switch teams, like if Tyson Chandler only signed a 1 year deal his Bird Rights would be gone too) is written in plain English

There is no way around it!

Lin will be back

But will Novak sign for the league minimum?

Is a player who truly only has one skill worth more than a league minimum?

The Knicks could sign him for the league min. next year, which then means we own his Bird Rights next year....but that is a huge risk for Novak

I'd say Novak is probably worth at least the mini-midlevel exception ($2.5M a year for 2 years) if not more. Not sure if the Knicks still have one to use on him next year, didn't they use it to sign JR Smith last year? Or did they have some leftover dollars from their regular MLE for JR?

skisloper

Starter
Good luck trying to find a 47% 3pt shooter for 1.1M.

Guys that say let him leave should look at the Knicks game logs this past season and see how many games he had an impact on. If the Knicks don't win arbitration plenty of teams will offer him the mini MLE or bi annual.

Novak with a man on him is useless....LOve what he has done for the Knicks but not a guy like Battier and Miller are more useful.....Novak has a 3 point shot and nothing else....

Wargames

Starter
Not being able to keep Novak will be just the beginning of the Knicks problems for the next 3 - 4 seasons unless they make some critical moves to compensate for the new CBA starting Now.

fender0577

Rotation player
Trade STAT and/or TD = Keeping Lin, Novak, JR + STAT replacement.

I'll take that any day.
Dude..we're not trading STAT, to keep Novak, are you insane?I liked Novak just as much as the next guy, but i'm not giving up STAT, to keep Novak, did you see what he did in the playoffs, the water boys were more useful.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
In my perfect world we resign all our guys and see what we can do for 82 plus camp with Mike Woodson. I am sick of the revolving door my team has been the last 14 years:gony::2cents:

New New York

Quiet Storm
In my perfect world we resign all our guys and see what we can do for 82 plus camp with Mike Woodson. I am sick of the revolving door my team has been the last 14 years:gony::2cents:

+1

For better or worst we need some stability, tired on waiting for the next FA period and what coach may be available and then waiting on that to manifest

The early and late 90 Knicks took time, moves were made here and there but by in large it was the same roster year in and out with the same coaching staff which translated into winning ball on a consitient level!

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Novak can be replaced, i would HATE to lose such a lethal 3 point shooter, but the guy can still be replaced.

IF WE WIN THE CASE and are able to resign Novak and Lin easily....i would go this route in the off-season

-Sign Danny green--Bi -Annual exception?(probably can get more money elsewhere but oh well worth a shot.<-- easily replaces Fields

-Sign Odom--MLE <--- Can play multiple positions, can guard multiple positions and can make plays...........OR sign Nash to the MLE (odom is more realistic)

sign-Reggie Evans <--- Amare's backup, can bring defensive intensity and rebounding off the bench.

sign- Derrick fisher
-<--- decent vet pg coming off the bench in our price range, not your IDEAL PG off the bench but the guy still has mileage left and can still knock down the open shot, we dont need a flashy PG off the bench just somebody who will keep the game in order and control the pace.

Resign Jeffries- <--- a fully healthy Jeffries can spot some mins off the bench for Chandler as well as bring the defensive intensity and energy.

Draft-- best PG available when our pick comes, for even more pg depth.

your looking at a lineup of

Lin,Fisher,48th pick
Danny Green,Shump,TD
Melo,Odom,Novak
Amare,Reggie evans,Jorts
Chandler/Jeffries/Jorts

^15 man roster one of the deepest teams in the league.. each player off the bench plays a role and we can switch up our lineups consistently to keep the defense on their heels.

More rebounding, More defense, updated backcourt, and more weapons

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
Novak can be replaced, i would HATE to lose such a lethal 3 point shooter, but the guy can still be replaced.

IF WE WIN THE CASE and are able to resign Novak and Lin easily....i would go this route in the off-season

-Sign Danny green--Bi -Annual exception?(probably can get more money elsewhere but oh well worth a shot.<-- easily replaces Fields

-Sign Odom--MLE <--- Can play multiple positions, can guard multiple positions and can make plays...........OR sign Nash to the MLE (odom is more realistic)

sign-Reggie Evans <--- Amare's backup, can bring defensive intensity and rebounding off the bench.

sign- Derrick fisher-<--- decent vet pg coming off the bench in our price range, not your IDEAL PG off the bench but the guy still has mileage left and can still knock down the open shot, we dont need a flashy PG off the bench just somebody who will keep the game in order and control the pace.

Resign Jeffries- <--- a fully healthy Jeffries can spot some mins off the bench for Chandler as well as bring the defensive intensity and energy.

Lin,Fisher,48th pick
Danny Green,Shump,TD
Melo,Odom,Novak
Amare,Reggie evans,Jorts
Chandler/Jeffries/Jorts

^15 man roster one of the deepest teams in the league.. each player off the bench plays a role and we can switch up our lineups consistently to keep the defense on their heels.

I'm totally cool with this roster. I would even add Deshaun Stevenson as another option at sg for the vet minimum.

NYk_Reloaded718

&#9733;KNICKS-TAPE&#9733;
I'm totally cool with this roster. I would even add Deshaun Stevenson as another option at sg for the vet minimum.
Thanks tried to keep it realistic i just cant see guys like Ray Allen or Nash coming to the knicks i mean its a chance they would, but Odom actually said he wants to be in New York and would like to return home, I know some people don't really want Odom, but this guy won 6th man of the year not to long ago we cant underestimate a Motivated Lamar Odom .and thumbs up on D.stevenson, if we couldn't get Danny Green he would be a nice option @ SG he can play defense as well, him or Anthony Parker would do as a fill in at least until shump comes back since he wont be available for the start of the season. we need some consistent respectable knock down shooters @ the SG position to help spread the floor. I dont think TD/Fields will cut it unless fields comes back shooting like he did as a rookie.

LV&C

Benchwarmer
I do not believe that any player should be sacrificing pay just so Knicks or any team for that matter can retain them. Seriously? Why not ask the high paying stars to sacrifice? Why not give up $5 mil of their pay? It's nothing compared to what they are getting, right? No? So much for being selfless. What's with this double-standard?

NYk_Reloaded718

&#9733;KNICKS-TAPE&#9733;
I do not believe that any player should be sacrificing pay just so Knicks or any team for that matter can retain them. Seriously? Why not ask the high paying stars to sacrifice? Why not give up $5 mil of their pay? It's nothing compared to what they are getting, right? No? So much for being selfless. What's with this double-standard?
I agree, but i don't think the new CBA allows them to reconstruct their contract. I may be wrong i'm not sure they can though, i wish it was that easy.

To be honest their is no reason our 3 stars cant make it work this season, but IMO if things don't look smooth i think we should really consider a trade at the deadline.

Last edited:

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
NO, they CANNOT restructure their contracts, only Tyson Chandler can as his contract was made following the new CBA. He deserve's every penny he gets though.

sign- Derrick fisher
-<--- decent vet pg coming off the bench in our price range, not your IDEAL PG off the bench but the guy still has mileage left and can still knock down the open shot, we dont need a flashy PG off the bench just somebody who will keep the game in order and control the pace.

Lin,Fisher,48th pick
Danny Green,Shump,TD
Melo,Odom,Novak
Amare,Reggie evans,Jorts
Chandler/Jeffries/Jorts

This looks great, however I doubt in reality we win the bird rights case and I'm pretty sure the Clippers will snap Evans back up promptly. I read somewhere that Kenyon Martin won't be extended by the Clippers so if Odom doesn't pan out I'd like to see him get our Bi-Annual in front of Novak. He could be a solid backup centre and is a very versatile defender. Can you imagine the defensive force that would be Mobb Deep if we had JJ, KMART and Shump (once recovered) on the court.

In my view Nash, Allen & Camby are pipe dreams but I'm hopeful Odom is a serious possibility. The return of:
Lin
Fields
Jeffries
JR Smith (50/50)

And possible addition of:
Backup PG (Draft/Vet)
SG Option (Stevenson/Parker/Bogans)
Odom?
Backup Centre
-
Will set us up nicely for next season.

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
NO, they CANNOT restructure their contracts, only Tyson Chandler can as his contract was made following the new CBA. He deserve's every penny he gets though.

By working with Carmelo Anthony, Amar'e Stoudemire and, perhaps, Chandler to restructure their contracts through a provision included in the new collective bargaining agreement, which was ratified and approved on Thursday.

According to a memo from NBPA executive director Billy Hunter, which was obtained by ESPN.com, "players may engage in renegotiation and extension, but the players' salary cannot decline by more than 40 percent."