Phil Jackson calls Knicks roster "clumsy"

CoolClyde

Phil Jackson, in a recent interview, denied ever having any interest in coaching the Knicks.
"I wasn't gonna take that job, that's for sure," said Jackson, who led the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers to eleven NBA titles.
Jackson dismissed the possibility because New York?s roster is "clumsy."
"They don't fit together well,? Jackson explained. ?(Amare) Stoudemire doesn't fit well with Carmelo. Stoudemire's a really good player. But he's gotta play in a certain system and a way.
"Carmelo has to be a better passer. And the ball can't stop every time it hits his hands. They need to have someone come in that can kinda blend that group together."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...fit-article-1.1096639?localLinksEnabled=false

Thanks Phil. tell us something the entire KO community doesn't know.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Hahaha, oh man.

I remember back in, what was it, March? telling guys that Phil Jackson wouldn't touch this roster with his big ten-foot shlong.

But you had the fans that thought Phil Jackson could come in, work some magic, make Melo into Jordan.

The trouble is that, and as everyone with eyeballs can see, Melo and the Knicks in general just plain suck.

We have Tony Campbell on our hands here. Phil Jackson is not coming back to coach Tony Campbell.

Rob Low

Rotation player
?Carmelo has to be a better passer. And the ball can?t stop every time it hits his hands,? Jackson continued. ?They need to have someone come in that can kinda blend that group together.?

?But wouldn?t you have been the perfect person to come in and blend all that talent together?? Kremer said. ?You sort of have a good history of that.?

?Yeah,? Jackson agreed. ?Well, it never happened.?

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...toudemire-fit-article-1.1096639#ixzz1xx4uCFGN

He just contradicted himself. Sounds salty about not getting a call. Although I do agree with him

tiger0330

Legend
He would be singing a different tune if Dolan gave him that 5yr/60M deal. Never thought he would take the job anyway except for the dough. He's a front runner, he would never take a tough job like Charlotte or a young team with seeming potential like the Twolves.

Only way I would have hired him is if he would take a 6M a year deal and come to NY for his love of the Knicks.

Paul1355

All Star
Phil Jackson, in a recent interview, denied ever having any interest in coaching the Knicks.
"I wasn't gonna take that job, that's for sure," said Jackson, who led the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers to eleven NBA titles.
Jackson dismissed the possibility because New York?s roster is "clumsy."
"They don't fit together well,? Jackson explained. ?(Amare) Stoudemire doesn't fit well with Carmelo. Stoudemire's a really good player. But he's gotta play in a certain system and a way.
"Carmelo has to be a better passer. And the ball can't stop every time it hits his hands. They need to have someone come in that can kinda blend that group together."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...fit-article-1.1096639?localLinksEnabled=false

Clumsy is another way of saying that tehy dont co exist, not clumsy as in they dont know what they are doing because all it took was a new coach to change the team identity and get the team to go 18-6....

Phil might just not be a believer in the trio of Anthony, Amare, and Chandler....some people on tis forum agree with him and some don't

I personally feel that everyone underestimates the importance of Jeremy Lin as the glue that holds this chaotic mix together...he is our Rajon Rondo and he can make it work single handedly....we'll see.

fender0577

Rotation player
He would be singing a different tune if Dolan gave him that 5yr/60M deal. Never thought he would take the job anyway except for the dough. He's a front runner, he would never take a tough job like Charlotte or a young team with seeming potential like the Twolves.

Only way I would have hired him is if he would take a 6M a year deal and come to NY for his love of the Knicks.
:agreed:I was thinking the same thing, he only wants jobs with the best players ever, he's a good at coaching ego's, i'll give him that, but c'mon man.The dude coached, MJ, Kobe, and Shaq, those guys are literally 3 of the top 5 to ever play.So i'm not crying over not getting Jack, he would be sleeping on the bench sometimes, that's how much talent he had, he would actually have to coach this team, and at his age, i don't think he's up to it.

Last edited:

orangeblobman

Rotation player
:agreed:I was thinking the same thing, he only wants jobs with the best players ever, he's a good at coaching ego's, i'll give him that, but c'mon man.The dude coached, MJ, Kobe, and Shaq, those guys are literally 3 of the top 5 to ever play.So i'm not crying over not getting Jack, he would be sleeping on the bench sometimes, that's how much talent he had, he would actually have to coach this team, and at his age, i don't think he's up to it.

MJ Kobe Shaq do not win the championships without Phil Jackson.

Sleeping on the bench? Give me a break! He made that talent into what you remember it for.

If it were talent alone, Lebron would have a championship! With Phil Jackson he would have a championship for sure!

fender0577

Rotation player
MJ Kobe Shaq do not win the championships without Phil Jackson.

Sleeping on the bench? Give me a break! He made that talent into what you remember it for.

If it were talent alone, Lebron would have a championship! With Phil Jackson he would have a championship for sure!
OooK...and how many game winning shots, did phil jackson hit?I'm not saying he's not a great coach, but to say those team would have never won without phil is a little short sighted, they needed each other, all i was saying is that the guys a front runner.The only teams, he would want to coach today, are MIA, and OKC.To sit in here and say, he made to talent into what we remember it for, is inaccurate, he meshed big ego's, but the talent was there already.Oh, i almost forgot, why didnt he win, when MJ first retired, or when Shaq first left LA?He didn't have the talent.

finestrg

Rotation player
What this boils down to is sour grapes over never being asked to coach this team when he thought we'd come begging with a barrel full of cash...Well you know what? We never did. LOL! Sorry dickhead..

Like any halfway decent coach, he did a decent job of making sure the pilot light stayed on and he pointed guys in the right direction and all during his heyday with the Bulls & Lakers but fender0577 said it best -- the talent was there. With a few exceptions (the Dallas team from last yr, the '94 Knicks & Rockets, the '99 Knicks --- all good teams mind you, which is why I have faith in this current Knick team), that's what wins in the NBA. Supreme talent. 60+ win talent and battle-tested, championship-level playoff talent. T-A-L-E-N-T...Two sets of hall of famers in their prime didn't hurt either -- MJ/Pippen, Kobe/Shaq. Two teams with the best player in the league both times...That's what allowed this windbag to continually win -- the hall of fame talent. Not his whistling, not his triangle offense, not his Zen Buddhism. That's all BS. All of it...He's kidding himself if he thinks he had anything more to do with those two clubs winning big. If anything, credit the front office on both of those teams for bringing in and developing the talent they ultimately had, not Phil. Credit the Bulls exec. who discovered and drafted Pippen...Credit the Lakers' Jerry West for acquiring Kobe in an absolute steal of a trade and then West & Jerry Buss for trading for Shaq in the summer of '96...Sorry but this dude Jackson has gotta be one of the most overrated personalities in modern day sports in my opinion. And deep down, he knows it.

Speaking of the bigger-than-life, all-mighty "Zen master" -- if this joke was a true man and confident in his abilities he would've first praised Woody for doing such a fine job with this team after he took over for D'Antoni. Didn't Van Gundy just say that? See, that's a man..Show respect to a fellow coach for a job well done (not to mention that the job Woody did PROVED that this team CAN WIN btw)...Next, when pushed for an answer to the question 'would you have coached the Knicks?' he should've said, "hell yes, I would've taken that job. I could've shown them how to win. Melo and Amar'e in their prime is a hell of a foundation that any coach would love to have. Without question, with a few more additions, I could've won with that club and won big." That's what I would've said. Something to that effect. Way to say you would've taken that challenge head on, Phil. Atta boy! :thumbsup:
:barf:

Last edited:

petescud

Starter
He wouldn't be considered a "Great Coach" coaching a .500 club .... he's right about a few things though. Surprised he didn't mention "to much iso plays". We are best when Melo realizes he needs to get better looks and pass more. There's no element of surprise with our game for the most part. Easy for good coaches to hone in a strategy

Wargames

Starter
I can't say that he is lying, a lot of teams aren't built well and the Knicks are one of those teams. but at the same time this feels like Sour Grapes.

iSaYughh

Starter
Jackson dismissed the possibility because New York’s roster is "clumsy."
"They don't fit together well,” Jackson explained. “(Amare) Stoudemire doesn't fit well with Carmelo. Stoudemire's a really good player. But he's gotta play in a certain system and a way.

Not you, Sir Clyde -- but a chunk of KO actually did not know this...or, just fronted not to because they are weak fans who like to blow smoke up their ass, because it's an easier alternative than dating. (pause)

Specifically:

Red
KingofNY
RealNYBaller

Thought we had a squad just waiting to be a true contender and champ, just as soon as D'antoni left. And they posted many *many* times on this point, like violent retards flailing about in attack mode; thus, continuing to cement their legacy as King Dunces, who'd rather gnaw at MDA's dick in one way or another till their teeth fall out, than just be real fans who look at a full picture.

Ginger, if you read this, let me know if this is peppered to your satisfaction:

crow.jpg

KBlack25

Starter
Legit LOL if you think this is sour grapes.

Yep - Phil Jackson, a coach with tons of rings, is upset a 7 seed in turmoil with a star player who quit on his coach midseason didn't call him up?

Give me a break.

LV&C

Benchwarmer

Honestly, I do not know of anyone right now who voluntarily come to NY because of love for the Knicks. They come to NY for the love of money. Even the players, they are not loyal to the Knicks. They are there for the money.