NY KNICKS 48th PICK 2012

Pearl15

Rookie
I Was Liking This Pick

He sounds like a baller. Time will tell.

Until the guy said he cannot shoot a lick. The Knicks have the worst luck drafting Euro's. This guy will never see the NBA. Grunwald had Donnie Walsh disease on this pick. Very disapointed. I hoped English was gonna fall to the Knicks.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
What the hell are you talking about? The Knicks drafted Danilo Gallinari who has turned out to be a very good player in this league...they had the Frederic Weis pick, though, but let's not take that one too seriously considering it was 10 years ago during the Layden era.

We can still sign Scott Machado as an undrafted free agent.

BillyHoyle

Benchwarmer
Here's some good news:
According to this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greece_national_basketball_team
it looks like he is on the Greek national team. Now, Greece hasn't qualified for the Olympics yet, but they will be playing in the upcoming qualifying tournament:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_FIBA_World_Olympic_Qualifying_Tournament_for_Men

I don't know much about international basketball, but I have to think they are one of the favorites to qualify. That means the team should also go to London, which presents 2 separate opportunities to see this guy in action.

What the hell are you talking about? The Knicks drafted Danilo Gallinari who has turned out to be a very good player in this league...they had the Frederic Weis pick, though, but let's not take that one too seriously considering it was 10 years ago during the Layden era.

Listen man, stop being reasonable. You are missing the entire tradition. Every year we hate on the pick right when it's done. Then we start looking at out of context highlights and tape, maybe a few good games, and suddenly we put ridiculously high expectations on him...then he doesn't live up to the expectations and we have to get him out of here ASAP in a trade for the next big thing.

tiger0330

Legend
Machado does in fact go undrafted. If he showed us anything in his workout with us, I have to imagine it's time to pick up the phone and see if we can get him now or whenever you're allowed to start pursuing the undrafted players.
Word is his workouts were terrible which must be true because he got passed up by 10 guys whose names you can't pronounce and won't be playing in the NBA anytime soon. You can sign Machado if you want but I think it's a waste of time.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Who!?

Well, hopefully Greece qualify for London and we can get a look at him ~ if he gets the PT.

Seems like an odd pick with Fields, Jefferies and Melo on board.

Any videos available other than that **** posted previously?

tarheel23

Rookie
Just want to say..Why didnt we draft Kris Joseph? He played at SU im sure Melo already knows him. He would be great off the bench. Also has a lot of untapped potential that maybe Melo could of bring out of him. Just thought he was best pick available.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I have a hunch that the scouts must have noticed something terrible about Machado's game because nobody drafted him. Then again, nobody drafted Jeremy Lin either. They should invite him to Summer League to see how he plays.

CoolClyde

well, Scott Machado was not even drafted, I assume no scouts are reading Knicks Online, WTF? ;) there's still hope the Knicks do SOMETHING to improve team next season, and not wait a couple years for Papa Nick. I never understand picking a guy who may never even make it over here, but if the entire Knick staff didn't feel there was an impact player left at 48, you've got to believe Machado did not perform well in combines... that being said, aside from Bison Chandler, poor managerial moves starting from the top, ie stupid clueless Dolan. giving away all our draft picks hoping for LeBron for 2 years, losing David Lee, gutting the team for Melo, and now we're back in salary cap hell, right where we started, with a "clumsy" team, HOPING Linsanity makes a comeback, if we do get to sign him, or HOPING we get an aging PG in Nash (unlikely, with Toronto going after him). Ray Allen, not a PG, will prob go to Heat. Ray Felton? will he really come back here for $3M? Andre Miller? i like him.

No point guard, backup PG = no hope. didn't the Knicks learn this year how important young healthy PG's are?
Grunwald is a tool.

Last edited:

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
IMO we drafted Papanikolau just to keep the spot open. Grunwald has a point and considering that most of our current players would come back next season we don't have much room to sign other FAs, two spots at best.

Kiyaman

Legend
The ice cube picture was hysterical....this has to be the worst pick in a while

We need player for right now that can play right now with a depleted roster and we pick some guy that wont play for years?????

I dont care how good he is, we can't even bring him over to the states!

We passed up on Darius Johnson Odom and Scott Machado???? come on Grunwald

:agreed: Thank-u Thank-u Thank-u :agreed:
We are in desprate need of Guards, Johnson-Odom defense been mention months before the draft of being a late 2nd rounder.
Grunwald is sleepin wid Walsh...

Kiyaman

Legend
Could Johnson-Odom fill a defensive void?
May, 25, 2012
By Jared Zwerling | ESPNNewYork.com

ny_u_johnson_odom_b1_200.jpg

Jamie Rhodes/US Presswire
Darius Johnson-Odom

Marquette guard Darius Johnson-Odom was the most impressive perimeter defender at the Brooklyn Nets' draft combine last Saturday. He was the loudest one, calling out pick-and-roll screens and back picks, and aggressively getting up on guys and causing turnovers. His play made the GMs and scouts in attendance look at each other in mutual agreement, and then make a note.

He brought that same intensity to his individual workout with the Knicks, who have the 48th pick in the draft and lost defensive ace Iman Shumpert to a knee injury during the playoffs.

While the 6-foot-5 Shumpert can guard multiple positions, Johnson-Odom's defense could come in handy mostly against point guards -- which is still a plus because of the widespread talent at that position in the NBA.

After taking part in 1-on-1 and 3-on-3 drills at the Knicks' training facility with several other draft prospects -- including Scott Machado and Miles Plumlee -- Johnson-Odom sat down with ESPNNewYork.com.

Q: What were you trying to prove out there today?

A: I know what the Knicks need, so I came in with a defensive mindset. With Iman being out, with Baron [Davis] being out, I know that they need somebody who can step up and play D. Everybody knows I can score the ball; that's the least of my worries. But I want to be a player that impacts the team on defense. That's going to be my main focus throughout these workouts. If that means me playing seven minutes in the league and guarding the best player, that's what I'm willing to do.

Q: What's your defensive approach on the court?

A: Always talking, communicating. ... I'm very physical, try to be aggressive on that end -- just try to make it hard on the offensive player. I use my athletic ability. I have a pretty decent wingspan, so I just try to use it as much as possible.

Q: Are there any defensive players in the NBA who you look up to?

A: Young players. Iman was one player that I thought changed the game for the Knicks [with]his height, his wingspan, his strength, his speed. He was just an incredible defender. He had a huge impact on the team.

Q: Anything on the offensive side you want to work on?

A: When I was talking to Allan Houston, a great guy, he said I can play in this league, but he wants me to work on not over-dribbling. I'm going to take that into consideration because he was a great player.

Q: Are you close with former Golden Eagles Steve Novak and Dwyane Wade?

A: I just saw Novak and we were out there kicking it around, so me and Novak are real close. I talk to Dwyane Wade every once in a while. Of course, I'm close with [Bulls forward] Jimmy Butler. We're a big family, man. We usually go back to school for camps and just hang out with each other, because we know we can get in the gym whenever we want. I'm glad to be an alumni of Marquette.

Q: As you watch the NBA playoffs, the highest level of basketball, what do you take away that may help your game?

A: There are a lot of young players in the playoffs, a lot of athletic players, so you see a lot of transition offense. You can't take bad shots; you've got to be patient on offense, take care of the ball. Defense, you're not getting any more easy shots, I'll tell you that. It's not the regular season any more. A lot of guys are making it tough on guys to even catch the ball. You can see how physical the play is, see how much guys really want it, getting into each other's faces. That's the type of player I like. I've been in battles, so I know what it feels to be playing in that type of moment.

Q: What do you enjoy off the court?

A: At the pro level, you don't really hang with your teammates as much, but I love hanging with my teammates. I'm always in the gym trying to work on my game. Movies. I'm a silly guy. I might take it very serious on the court, but off the court, man, I'm probably one of the most talkative, silliest guys you're going to meet. I'm always trying to make people laugh, so they can just try to enjoy their day. That's the type of person I am.

Pearl15

Rookie
Sorry Still Not Impressed

1 Euro decent pick in 15 years. That is a horrible. San Antonio gets it right every year. How is that. You forgot about Marcel Lampje. I didn't like the Gallinari pick either we could have had DeRozan instead. If Walsh would have been awake on draft night maybe the Knicks could have traded up and got Kevin Love. Instead of trading our draft pick for the terrible Tracy McGrady when he didn't have to. Houston should have gave us a 1st round pick to take McGrady off their hands.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Shouldn't be surprised the KNICKS drafted another Euro-Donut. Weis started this long-line of Euro-disasters. I don't get it. Marketing, Great White Hope(Hype) I don't know.:(