Grunwald speaks out about draft pick

Paul1355

All Star
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/21355/grunwald-no-potential-rotation-player-at-48

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baske...-likely-to-win-lin-novak-cases-1.3812585?qr=1

Combining both articles, these are the main reasons why Grunwald chose Kostas Papanikolaou......

"Given where we are with our team, it was unlikely anyone at 48 could step in and contribute," Grunwald said. "We felt this player can grow overseas. ? He plays hard. He's a good athlete. He needs to improve his shooting. We've watched him over the course of the year and he's improved dramatically over this year. We see him as a guy who's going to work and improve.''

"We think he?s a good player and think he?s going to get better. It?s an investment in our future," he said. "He got better over the season and wound up being the MVP of the Euroleague Final Four. We ranked him pretty high."

"Free agency is important to us this year," Grunwald said. "We'll hopefully make some strides in that area. With the 48th pick, if you look at the history of the success rate, it's not that great. We're happy with the pick we made and think ultimately he can contribute."

Forrest17

Rotation player
If anyone can find diamonds in the ruff its grunwald. I trust him.

But I think the reason people are upset is not that what we used our pick on its that we didn't do anything to trade up to get someone we can bring in right now. But we honestly don't have anything of value to trade to get a pick..Anything we have that someone would want we aren't going to trade

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
I understand drafting a Gem or anybody at #48 that can help us on the court are slim, but come on we wont even see this guy until 2 years.. that's the more frustrating part.

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
Grunwald knows what he's doing.
A 48th pick right now would just take a spot on the roster.. why do that when you can get a free agent or a vet that can do more.

let this greek dude get some more experience in europe.. and who knows maybe he'll be much more valuable in a year or two when we can use him.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I understand drafting a Gem or anybody at #48 that can help us on the court are slim, but come on we wont even see this guy until 2 years.. that's the more frustrating part.
FFS, we will never see him in a Knicks uniform, we still have an additional free spot by drafting him and it's almost certain we'll hand over his rights to an other NBA franchise once we're about to trade for someone...

Wargames

Starter
FFS, we will never see him in a Knicks uniform, we still have an additional free spot by drafting him and it's almost certain we'll hand over his rights to an other NBA franchise once we're about to trade for someone...

Yep. The Knicks might pull off a trade this offseason too since they have cap holds on players who likely wont break the rotation (gadzuric, Jordan) and that 3 million in cash considerations. They can offer cap relief to teams who need it like the grizzlies with OJ mayo.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
I hope that's the case otherwise drafting him was pretty pointless, when we had Darius Johnson Odom right there to grab. The mavs are already seeing him as a cheap role player that may crack the rotation.

I guess it was an OK pick though plus not having to pay him gives us additional room in free agency, and you never know he could turn out to be a real good player and we might actually keep him. I still remember the lakers 2nd round 48th pick who couldn't come over until a year later (Marc Gasol)

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/21355/grunwald-no-potential-rotation-player-at-48

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baske...-likely-to-win-lin-novak-cases-1.3812585?qr=1

Combining both articles, these are the main reasons why Grunwald chose Kostas Papanikolaou......

"Given where we are with our team, it was unlikely anyone at 48 could step in and contribute," Grunwald said. "We felt this player can grow overseas. ? He plays hard. He's a good athlete. He needs to improve his shooting. We've watched him over the course of the year and he's improved dramatically over this year. We see him as a guy who's going to work and improve.''

"We think he?s a good player and think he?s going to get better. It?s an investment in our future," he said. "He got better over the season and wound up being the MVP of the Euroleague Final Four. We ranked him pretty high."

"Free agency is important to us this year," Grunwald said. "We'll hopefully make some strides in that area. With the 48th pick, if you look at the history of the success rate, it's not that great. We're happy with the pick we made and think ultimately he can contribute."

All BULLSHIIIT

The Knicks only have 5 players under contract during the 2012 draft night
(Tyson/Stat/Melo/TD/and a 2012-13 season injury Iman Shumpert).

We are talking about signing 10 FA players in the offseason ....
1) Lin -G
2) Fields -G
3) Novak -F
4) Jorts -F
5) Jordan -F/C
6) Jefferies -F
7) Inconsistent JR.Smith -unreliable
8) ???
9) ???
10) ???
:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

Wargames

Starter
All BULLSHIIIT

The Knicks only have 5 players under contract during the 2012 draft night
(Tyson/Stat/Melo/TD/and a 2012-13 season injury Iman Shumpert).

We are talking about signing 10 FA players in the offseason ....
1) Lin -G
2) Fields -G
3) Novak -F
4) Jorts -F
5) Jordan -F/C
6) Jefferies -F
7) Inconsistent JR.Smith -unreliable
8) ???
9) ???
10) ???
:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

Yesterday I was pissed at a wasted opportunity because the knicks have shown they can "Moneyball" their way to some talent in the 2nd round.

However, I will say this if the plan is to be able to offer the full MLE to someone then what Grunwald did was the smart move. It saves a roster spot and money while adding a prospect for 2015 (when the cap situation will fix itself) while not adding to the cap now. In fact if thats the plan I can't think of a better move myself.

I was thinking about it and honestly if the Knicks move Toney (which is very possible since they can wrap him in a 3 million dollars cash consideration now that its officially a new season) and don't re-sign some of their scrubs (jordan, gadzuric) they might be able to squeeze out a full MLE and use the BAE this year without going over the cap.

Then When Balkman comes off the books next year that money should cover the first round draft pick. I mean its not a great move but it could be the best move in a bad situation. Grunwald was suppose to be some sort of cap whiz and he was smart enough to save the money needed for JR, maybe this is his way of saving enough money for Nash, or Mayo, or Allen. Any of those guys get minutes in the Knicks rotation next year and the year after that.

STAT1

Starter
I'm gonna give Grunwald the benefit of the doubt here. I just hope this kid doesn't turn out to be another Milos Vujanic situation & never ends up coming to the NBA.