Sonny Weems + Mo Evans rumors resurface

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Broussard:

Cleveland, New York have shown interest in Raptors' restricted free agent Sonny Weems, sources say.

Sonny_Weems_1551799i.jpg

He played in Europe after the lockout:

After a line of 17.5, 5.9 rebounds and 1.3 steals in 10 regular season games, Weems? averages dropped to 11.6, 3.2 and zero total steals as Zalgiris went 0-6 in the Top 16.

2010-2011 top 10 plays - video has a long intro, skip to 0:40

Probably not a strong interest, I believe. He's restricted with a qualifying offer of $1.145M.

STAT1

Starter
I would much rather target Mo Evans if we're looking for a cheap stopgap solution at SG until Shump comes back. Weems is athletic but he's a horrible 3 pt shooter. Evans is also athletic, can play some D & he can also knock down an open 3. Pietrus would be another good option at probably higher salary.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I would much rather target Mo Evans if we're looking for a cheap stopgap solution at SG until Shump comes back. Weems is athletic but he's a horrible 3 pt shooter. Evans is also athletic, can play some D & he can also knock down an open 3. Pietrus would be another good option at probably higher salary.

Pietrus would be nice, but I read that he's adamant about remaining a Celtic.

WHY!? :shrug:

STAT1

Starter
Crazy⑧s;239336 said:
Pietrus would be nice, but I read that he's adamant about remaining a Celtic.

WHY!? :shrug:

Maybe he just likes Boston (can't for the life of me conceive of why either). Apparently Jason Terry just signed an offer sheet to join the Celtics, which means Ray Allen is pretty much a goner. I just hope he doesn't end up going to Miami. Ray should sign with us for the mini ML just to spite Danny Ainge for doing him like that! :smokin:

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Do Not want he's basically Landry Fields 2.0, Sonny is quicker and probably more athletic that's about it, he cant shoot.He would be nice off the bench but he isn't what we need at the moment. I feel at the 2 guard spot we would be better off with someone who can spread the floor for us as well as commit to defense. There are better options out there.

Maybe if our front office would start looking into the FA market a little more instead of drooling over how much money teams would offer Lin we would be in some business with some FA's that could help improve our team.

It's about to be Day 4 of FA and so far all we have done is lost Fields, he's not technically gone yet, but i DONT EXPECT the knicks to match that awful deal Fields received.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I think he'll end up in LA, personally. No foundation for that idea. Seems like there may have been a bit of animosity to me: he names Miami and NY, 2 Boston rivals, as favored destinations.

Apparently he and Rondo were less than friends. The whole Celtics roster seem to enjoy playing little games of finger pointing, IMO. Christ I hate them so much. :lol:

STAT1

Starter
Crazy⑧s;239343 said:
I think he'll end up in LA, personally. No foundation for that idea. Seems like there may have been a bit of animosity to me: he names Miami and NY, 2 Boston rivals, as favored destinations.

Apparently he and Rondo were less than friends. The whole Celtics roster seem to enjoy playing little games of finger pointing, IMO. Christ I hate them so much. :lol:

I heard ESPN radio discussing Ray Allen going to the Clips this afternoon. Not sure if they'd be a better fit for him, I think the Knicks would be a much more sensible place for him to come to. He would be a perfect fit into this system & would have a major role, & he gets to stick it to his old team for phasing him out by joining with a divisional rival. If he ends up in LA it would be for the $ in my opinion since they could offer him a little bit more on a full MLE.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
He would be a perfect fit into this system & would have a major role, & he gets to stick it to his old team for phasing him out by joining with a divisional rival. If he ends up in LA it would be for the $ in my opinion since they could offer him a little bit more on a full MLE.

He would fit very nicely here. He'd afford us more fluidity with our offense, too. Not only because of spacing, but we could base our offense around having a legit 3 point threat in our first and second unit. That, of course, is presuming that Novak, who we know wants to be in NY, remains in NY.

Sadly, money's money. I think he'll take the full.

STAT1

Starter
Crazy⑧s;239347 said:
He would fit very nicely here. He'd afford us more fluidity with our offense, too. Not only because of spacing, but we could base our offense around having a legit 3 point threat in our first and second unit. That, of course, is presuming that Novak, who we know wants to be in NY, remains in NY.

Sadly, money's money. I think he'll take the full.

Just imagining all those wide open 3's that Landry & Shump would clank actually going in the basket is almost too good to be true. Ray running off picks set by Tyson to get himself open would be a perfect scenario for us. All the better if we could hold onto Novak as well somehow, having 2 lethal 3 pt shooters on the floor would do wonders for this team & make the Knicks VERY dangerous.

Let's hope Spike can talk him into coming here. :p

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
The Knicks have "shown some interest" in Sonny Weems and Maurice Evans, according to their agent Roger Montgomery, who also represents Jeremy Lin.

"I think both of them would fit really good in that situation," Montgomery said. "Mo would fit for a number of reasons because what he does as a veteran, and he's played for Woody. And I think Sonny would be an absolute steal if he was able to go play with them, just because of how athletic he is. I think that he could be a starter and he could be a rotation guy. I think he would be ideal."

Weems, 26, averaged 11.8 points for Zalgiris last season.

Evans, who played for the Wizards last season, fits the Knicks’ spending limit of $1.4 million, the so-called veteran's minimum contract.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...st_In_Sonny_Weems_Maurice_Evans#ixzz21EcO2IaK

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
I don't see the point in targeting Weems when we have Flight White, they are damn near identical. Weems is just a little younger and probably a bit more quicker. Neither can shoot, but if we did sign him we'd have some pretty beastly dunkers on this team in Weems, Jr, Shump, and White

CoolClyde

I don't see the point in targeting Weems when we have Flight White, they are damn near identical. Weems is just a little younger and probably a bit more quicker. Neither can shoot, but if we did sign him we'd have some pretty beastly dunkers on this team in Weems, Jr, Shump, and White

Mobb Dunk :hoops:

finestrg

Rotation player
I think Weems could be a very exciting player here. I'd offer him a contract now before somebody else does and then all of a sudden we have one less viable option available to us. No real negotiating need be involved here -- we have the vet min. available, Weems is worth that amount and his agent has all but indicated that his client would accept those terms to play in NY.

Anyone know if Weems is 100% though? I thought I read somewhere a couple of weeks ago that he hurt himself at one point last season overseas (maybe in the Baltic League where he only appeared in 2 games -- apparently his team, BC Zalgiris Kaunas, plays in a couple of different leagues or tournaments throught the year). Can anyone confirm -- obviously I'm not nearly as interested if he's not 100% physically. If he's OK, I think he's a good investment on a 1 or 2 yr deal at the minimum. Perfect stopgap option -- Weems/JR Smith is a nice tandem at the 2 until Shump makes it back by December/January..

------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Ok, so apparently it was a badly sprained left ankle he suffered this past March when his Zalgiris club was playing in Lithuania:

http://www.talkbasket.net/6677-sonny-weems-injured-can-t-find-help-in-lithuania-pics.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...kle-treated-lithuania-shows-us-222314526.html

I had practically the same exact injury a few years back. Those things heal. The Yankees' Joba Chamberlain is on the verge of coming back from his ankle problem and his was worse than Weems'... As long as it wasn't a knee, his back or something like that. As long as that ankle's ok, I'd make this guy an offer. He's talented. Nice athleticism/size/ability/upside. Weems could be more than some stopgap -- with his ability, he could turn out to be a fixture here.

Last edited:

CA7

Scoring Champ
Weems improved his jumper from my knowledge and would be a great pick up we lack athleticism after all

Crazy⑧s;244560 said:
The Knicks have "shown some interest" in Sonny Weems and Maurice Evans, according to their agent Roger Montgomery, who also represents Jeremy Lin.

I'm guessing it will be Weems we sign since he played for the Nuggets. Some love affair going on between the two teams former players. Plus he and J.R. Swish were pretty good friends while they were teammates...

STAT1

Starter
Crazy⑧s;244560 said:

"I think both of them would fit really good in that situation," Montgomery said. "Mo would fit for a number of reasons because what he does as a veteran, and he's played for Woody. And I think Sonny would be an absolute steal if he was able to go play with them, just because of how athletic he is. I think that he could be a starter and he could be a rotation guy. I think he would be ideal."

Weems, 26, averaged 11.8 points for Zalgiris last season.

Evans, who played for the Wizards last season, fits the Knicks? spending limit of $1.4 million, the so-called veteran's minimum contract.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...st_In_Sonny_Weems_Maurice_Evans#ixzz21EcO2IaK

Can we get greedy & have both? Afterall, we did save all that money by not re-signing Lin. :teeth: