Lin apparently signed $40M offer sheet from Houston. NY have 3 days to match

What should the penalty for racist behavior be on here?

• Ban

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Temporary ban

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warning

• Scolding

• Whatever! I'm sure we can just ignore it.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul1355

All Star
yea bro next time you put a "breaking news" banner along with this title make sure you have a legit source before you give everyone a heart attack

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
It doesn't really matter what money he'll be offered, we'll match anyway. Dolan once paid >$60M in luxury tax while having only one valuable player on the roster. Calm down folks and stop acting like it's you who's going to pay the tax.

REALHEAT

Benchwarmer
don't you have a dick to suck?

please f*ck off. on your period.

U MADD BRO?

if you think Lin is worth this then you are as stupid as the Rockets for offering it to him. Goran DRagic is better. The Knicks should be going after him. Don't get mad. Would you really feel good about the Knicks handing this type of money out to a guy who had a good few games in the league?
I can name 3 PGs better and cheaper than Lin
Sessions
Maynor and Dragic AND Kirk Hinrich
I can't believe you Knick fans die when mediocre players are OVERPAID

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Word is the offer will be a 3 year deal for 5, 5.2, 13. Makes more sense. They Rox showing Lin the love with a Welcome Back Jeremy sign with a picture of him in a Rockets jersey on their building.

Seba

Benchwarmer
Crazy⑧s;239350 said:
Sorry, 3 days to match as of July 11th. Dumbness.

in the 3rd year of his deal with the Knicks, we'd have $70M tied up in 4 players.

Well, the Rockets will have 30millions tied in Lin + Asik. Talk about nonsense.

Let's wait for confirmation on this. I don't think they will make such an offer. In any case the Knicks will match. I don't care about money really, all this just means that Dolan will pay a ****load of money in 3 years, but it doesn't screw our flexibility because we will have none regardless.

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
Well three year deal for $25 mil is doable, 4 year for $40 is pretty high but I don't see this stopping the knicks from still keeping him. It's not all about his play either, he brings publicity and there is alot of money to be made with marketing, selling tickets, jerseys and more. The luxury tax just got alot more expensive with the new CBA, but the knicks are one of the most lucrative teams in the league money wise. Dolan has always put out the money so it shouldn't be a problem.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@alanhahn: Jeremy Lin was always going to play the field as a free agent, so the fact that he met with Houston and is expected to get a contract offer sheet promise today is of no surprise to the Knicks. This is Standard Operating Procedure. Knicks have 3 days to match after the moratorium lifts on July 11 and all indications are they will match, even if it means hefty luxury tax expenses in Year 3. That's how the Knicks show Jeremy just how much he means to them.

Hahn has been known of his insight of the Knicks organization and if he says we're going to match no matter what I don't have any reason not to believe it's true. Lin's a lock, book it. ;)

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Why would Houston do that to Goran? ****, if they don't want him...we can work some sort of deal out.

The Dragon is legit.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Lin

Other teams know precisely what the Knicks can offer Lin in the absence of an offer from another team. It follows that any team desiring Lin will offer him a better contract, i.e., a backloaded contract that in two years time will put the Knicks in signifiicant luxury tax mode. If Fields can get a three year backloaded contract worth almost $20M, Lin is likely to be offered a better contract. How much better - who knows? I would think $40M is too much, but I could never have imagined almost $20M for Fields, considering, particularly, that unrestricted free agents such as Mayo and Beasley would likely take considerably less.

Dolan has been willing to pay luxury taxes in the past. To what extent will another team risk paying Lin an unwarranted premium just to cause luxury tax problems for the Knicks? No team should do that because it will not help that team and it would risk having to pay Lin more than he is believed to be worth if the offer is not matched.

It would seem to me that the Rockets, or any other team, will not offer Lin more than they believe he is worth. As a player, Lin had an excellent short term run in the D'Antoni system, but that system made the likes of Duhon and Fats Felton look good. Lin show some promise, but a guaranteed $40M looks like too much. As far as marketing type income that will follow Lin is concerned, it is unclear to me how much of it goes to the team rather than Lin personally.

It is unlikely, to say the least, that the Knicks will match the offer to Fields and I am not particularly heartbroken if it scuttles our efforts to get Nash. Berman suggests it would cost us Shumpert to get Nash and says it as if it might be part of discussions with Phoenix. Berman is an idiot whose comments often have no actual support. If we were to give up Shumpert for the sake of overpaying the 38 year old Nash with a three year contract, I will give up on the Knicks. I would rather have Kidd or Prigioni.

Although the Toronto offer to Fields appears to have been designed to to keep us out of the Nash market, I would watch out for Toronto in the Lin market. Toronto has a huge Asian community. There is chemistry, friendship and apparent devout Christianity between Lin and Fields. Perhaps Toronto's overpriced offer to Fields had alternative objectives.

Sage

Rotation player
Soo, that link takes you to a 404 error page, so I'm calling bull**** on this until I start to see Knicks beat writers report on it.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I would call Houston's bluff on the Lin offer sheet (if they extend one today), and talk to Goran and his people about a sign and trade.

He played his way from out under Kyle Lowry, to the point they're most likely going to move him, to make way for Goran to start. Except now they want Lin? Goran is not coming off the bench again, and you can't bring Lin off the bench...that has global ramifications.

So if I were Glen, I'd be on the phone right now with Goran and his people (who are no closer to a new deal, they're still apparently a ways apart) and plant those seeds of subterfuge right now.

Turn Goran on the Rockets. He's already turned down one deal, and he's looking at the Mavs now.

Houston wants to offer Lin a deal that would catapult us into deep luxury tax territory in the future, if we match? Ok.

Kyle already doesn't like McHale and seemingly wants out, Goran is exploring the market and isn't running back to Houston....sign and trade, switch PGs, you want Lin @ $40M? You can have Lin @ $40M.

Give us The Dragon.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Soo, that link takes you to a 404 error page, so I'm calling bull**** on this until I start to see Knicks beat writers report on it.

If the Knicks are willing to do anything to keep Jeremy Lin, they’re about to get the chance to prove it.

Lin will meet with the Houston Rockets Wednesday and could sign an offer sheet worth close to $40 million. The Knicks, who will have the option to match any offer Lin agrees to, still believe they have a chance to keep Lin and add Steve Nash.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...-knicks-match-article-1.1107322#ixzz1zfclKTh6

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...illion-deal-ny-knicks-match-article-1.1107322

Obviously it's not a done deal, there has been no offer as of this minute (as far as I know). But seeing as how they're having trouble re-signing Goran, and Kyle isn't exactly happy; plus, with the way it affects the Knicks' books in the near future, if we match, I would not be shocked if they did offer it today.

petescud

Starter
i guess all we can hope is that Lin is worth that much $$....we already have bloated contracts with Amar'e and Melo....i wouldn't had paid more then $15 mil for either, but that water under the bridge (and Melo is worth more the Amar'e, no doubt...)

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Man...I can see a bit of a mistake on the horizon. I'm a Knicks fan, I have nothing against Lin....I was cheering for the dude watching tv & at the Garden. But a close to $40M contract, that puts the Knicks into the luxury 'super' tax, where operating $5 million over the threshold could cost the team $15-20M alone?

Are we sure, that he's even close to being that sure a thing? Realistically speaking. Because if the Knicks cross that threshold and go into the super tax territory (when it kicks in) we can't cry foul about what happened in the summer of 2012.

I don't know if Lin is the gamble I'd make.

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
Why are we still talking about the 40 mil contract? It is just a rumor. OTOH, if Houston does offer Lin 40 mil, let them have Lin.

As for Goran Dragic, he is a highly sought after FA now that DWill is off the market. I wouldn't be surprised if he asks for 40 million for 4 years.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
i guess all we can hope is that Lin is worth that much $$....we already have bloated contracts with Amar'e and Melo....i wouldn't had paid more then $15 mil for either, but that water under the bridge (and Melo is worth more the Amar'e, no doubt...)

I think, based on that 10-game run, that Lin is worth 40million. At the same time, my only concern with Lin is how he will be hold up with the health.

It seems we're all caught up on whether or not Lin, in a vacuum, is worth 40m$, and I think he is because the guy is a legit baller. But outside of the vacuum, where we have to consider things like injuries, this is where my concern is. I'd like to see him play a full season and see how he holds up.

That's another thing about Landry, a little off topic here, but Landry played the full 82 and full 66 without missing a game. That's a durable player.

Status
Not open for further replies.