Should the Knicks Sign Lin / Match Houston?

Should the Knicks Resign Jeremy Lin?

• any PG will do

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

p0nder

Starter
Jim, I am not saying that your wrong on JLin missing in the playoffs, but don't you think a chance at a playoff win with JLin would of been worth it to the knicks to risk exposing him to the Heat for 4 games?

I have worries about the injury but because they let him rehab and watched him closely I expect he's well worth the money.

Yes.

And either way we ARE going to sign him and we'll all get to see who was right and wrong here.

From a business prespective this is a no-brainer.

From a basketball perspective it has risks but with JKidd probably in the fold, they are minimal.

Wargames

Starter
Lin has that rare ability to singlehandedly get wins for a team...... That alone is worth the contract and then some.........

Lin does four things as well as any starting PG in the league, defense (only Chalmers, and maybe Teague are better), breaking down the defense with the dribble (only Rondo, Westbrook, Paul, Rose, and maybe Irving are better), seeing the floor (only Nash, Rondo, and maybe Rubio are better), and clutch play (only Chris Paul had a better 4th qtr PER last season).

Lin's only weaknesses are shooting from the field, turnovers, picking up the dribble in traffic, and taking unnecessary fouls. All will likely improve.

Yep and I am hoping Kidd can help Lin to figure out how to make a beeline pass from the perimeter to a teammate slashing to the basket. If he can learn that I expect him to be even more of a threat.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
Lin needs to improve a lot, he's not as good as some of you are making him out to be. I chose to match the contract because of what he was able to do on the fly. He is a smart player and has the skills and potential to be better. He was not ready to play the minutes he played last season and it took into effect. I like to see what he can do better conditioned, more experience, and a mentor beside him. He must improve his left, has to stop stopping his dribble, lower his turnovers, and be in better shape.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Is he worth that money? NO. especially with only the little game time he's received. and some of the performances he has turned out.

BUT

with the potential shown you cant let him walk. nor the marketing/revenue the Knicks can make off him. not only for those reasons but the little risk involved..

the first two years are 5.2 million.. the third is the big 9 BUT that contract can be looked at as expiring. Since the 4th is TEAM option. He then becomes a trade asset. good player or not.

from a potential and business standpoint it's low risk high reward.

Forrest17

Rotation player
The reason I think that Lin deserves this money is because even though his time wasn't that much, while he was rough at times from lack of experience, he got better almost every single game.

Just when you kept thinking, oh well this is as good as he can get, he kept exceeding it and improving.

He is also, smart, and dedicated ... He could have made MILLIONS off of endorsements this summer.. but instead he chose to work and improve and earn whatever money is given to him by the team.

My only worry is injury. I pray to god the last one was just a fluke, everyone gets injured now and then, but I hope he isn't an injury prone type player. To me the question isn't will he be good enough of a player to earn that money it is getting, its will he stay healthy.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Lin

If we do not match the offer, the ony thing we gain is perhaps avoidance of luxury tax in the third year of his contract. With or without his contract, we will not have any cap space for at least three years anyway. And if we do not sign him, the amount we would currently have for others will not change.

Sure, he is getting a ridiculous amount of money for a samll sample size of reasonably good play. But even Felton was apparently looking for a sign and trade in the $4M to $6M range. They all make ridiculous amounts of money.

We sign him and hope he keeps getting better. There is no way the offer will not be matched.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
without kidd on tab, id have to think long and hard and see if we can get a good s&t package. but now that we have kidd on tab, i match without a doubt. year 3 will hurt but well have plenty of expiring contracts so we could completely rebuild. Lin is young, smart and talented and willing to learn. more so willing to prove he wasnt a fluke. still hungry we sign him no doubt. Kidd will make this dude way better

Kiyaman

Legend
YES

I wonder-wonder if Lin had something to do with Kidd's decison to chose Knicks..........

Dolan got Lin one of the leagues best tutors .. or maybe Tyson Chandler buddy-buddy with Lin made that call to bring same-page stability in MSG

I dont see JR.Smith making the team with Kidd & Lin at the point....maybe Grunwald could work a sign n trade .. do anyone think Memphis would trade OJ Mayo for JR.Smith?

Has anyone decided on a SG to replace Fields at the starter spot? and how much should we pay our starter SG?
Dont mention Shump if u are unaware of a torn ACL healing process.

CoolClyde

If we do not match the offer, the ony thing we gain is perhaps avoidance of luxury tax in the third year of his contract. With or without his contract, we will not have any cap space for at least three years anyway. And if we do not sign him, the amount we would currently have for others will not change.

Sure, he is getting a ridiculous amount of money for a samll sample size of reasonably good play. But even Felton was apparently looking for a sign and trade in the $4M to $6M range. They all make ridiculous amounts of money.

We sign him and hope he keeps getting better. There is no way the offer will not be matched.
:agreed:
Superstar Oldtimer making a TON of sense, per usual.

here's a good article from NY Times detailing pluses and minuses of matching:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/07/s...icks-expected-to-match-jeremy-lins-offer.html

tkrieger

Benchwarmer
My only worry is injury. I pray to god the last one was just a fluke, everyone gets injured now and then, but I hope he isn't an injury prone type player. To me the question isn't will he be good enough of a player to earn that money it is getting, its will he stay healthy.
Totally agree...... If Lin stays healthy, his ceiling is scary high............

But if he's injury prone, he could end up being the Stephen Strasburg of basketball.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Totally agree...... If Lin stays healthy, his ceiling is scary high............

But if he's injury prone, he could end up being the Stephen Strasburg of basketball.

scary high....no way thats saying he's a future MVP candidate I think Lin is going to be by a mild mannered person's standards a very good NBA point guard likely All-Star due to the voting he'll get, remember Yao

I'm excited to see how he develops, will he athletically be able to hold his own with the new era of point guards and will he learn all things necessary from J-Kidd

Paul1355

All Star
If anyone thinks we should not match Lin's deal they have their head up their anus.

People forget that we were only in the playoffs because this guy carried us when Mike D was steering our ship to the bottom of the ocean while Melo and Amare were not even playing.

What he did was phenomenal because he saved us from being an utter embarrassment and missing the playoffs which would have led to the team being blown up with trades due to public outcry.

He can run the floor
He has great court vision
He makes other players better
His ability to drive to the hoop is top notch, he has to be one of the best at contact layups.
HE CAN PENETRATE A DEFENSE AND CREATE BALL MOVEMENT(this is our biggest need on offense) we lacked this ability when Lin went down, no one could drive to the hoop like Lin could and break down and opposing team's defense.
He has the ability to single handedly take over a basketball game
He improves his game quickly, example would be his FT% improving and his outside shot being more consistent as the games went on.
He has stamina, he played 40 min a night during that 3 week stretch of Linsanity.
He is 23 years old!!!
The team loves him, this is very important with stars with big egos like we have that demand the ball, they actually respect Lin.
HE IS CLUTCH!!!!
He now has a mentor and legit backup PG that is healthy and will be effective.
He is a smart basketball player, IQ off the charts on and off the court
Hall of famers like Bob Cousy have praised him for his awarness as a PG, this means more than you know. Experience spots true ballers.
He is loved and loves the Knicks, he wants to be here.
He knows he deserves the money, so we should give it to him and bring him back.

We need Lin. End of discussion.

CoolClyde

If anyone thinks we should not match Lin's deal they have their head up their anus.

People forget that we were only in the playoffs because this guy carried us when Mike D was steering our ship to the bottom of the ocean while Melo and Amare were not even playing.

What he did was phenomenal because he saved us from being an utter embarrassment and missing the playoffs which would have led to the team being blown up with trades due to public outcry.

He can run the floor
He has great court vision
He makes other players better
His ability to drive to the hoop is top notch, he has to be one of the best at contact layups.
HE CAN PENETRATE A DEFENSE AND CREATE BALL MOVEMENT(this is our biggest need on offense) we lacked this ability when Lin went down, no one could drive to the hoop like Lin could and break down and opposing team's defense.
He has the ability to single handedly take over a basketball game
He improves his game quickly, example would be his FT% improving and his outside shot being more consistent as the games went on.
He has stamina, he played 40 min a night during that 3 week stretch of Linsanity.
He is 23 years old!!!
The team loves him, this is very important with stars with big egos like we have that demand the ball, they actually respect Lin.
HE IS CLUTCH!!!!
He now has a mentor and legit backup PG that is healthy and will be effective.
He is a smart basketball player, IQ off the charts on and off the court
Hall of famers like Bob Cousy have praised him for his awarness as a PG, this means more than you know. Experience spots true ballers.
He is loved and loves the Knicks, he wants to be here.
He knows he deserves the money, so we should give it to him and bring him back.

We need Lin. End of discussion.
alright Pablo! you brought up more positives than I could've named.
this type of intelligent play and acknowledgement by those in the know just warrants what pro-Linners have been saying all along; he's got it, he's smart, he improves, he IS NOT A FLUKE.
:peace::gony:

ChrisN7

Benchwarmer
I definitely think we should match Houston's offer for Lin and do all we can to keep hold of him, if for no other reason than we don't have many options at Point Guard after Kidd (39 years old, would we get enough production from him at that age over multiple years as a starter in 82 game seasons) and Toney Douglas (showed over his Knicks career he is better as a role player off the bench than starting Point Guard).

How exactly does it work? Houston have made Lin an offer and we have the right to match that offer. If we do, does Lin then have the choice of which team to sign for, or by matching any other offers mean that he has to sign with the Knicks? Basically, is there a scenario whereby we match all offers Lin receives from other teams yet still lose him?

CoolClyde

I definitely think we should match Houston's offer for Lin and do all we can to keep hold of him, if for no other reason than we don't have many options at Point Guard after Kidd (39 years old, would we get enough production from him at that age over multiple years as a starter in 82 game seasons) and Toney Douglas (showed over his Knicks career he is better as a role player off the bench than starting Point Guard).

How exactly does it work? Houston have made Lin an offer and we have the right to match that offer. If we do, does Lin then have the choice of which team to sign for, or by matching any other offers mean that he has to sign with the Knicks? Basically, is there a scenario whereby we match all offers Lin receives from other teams yet still lose him?

Knicks match, Lin remains a Knick

Paul1355

All Star
alright Pablo! you brought up more positives than I could've named.
this type of intelligent play and acknowledgement by those in the know just warrants what pro-Linners have been saying all along; he's got it, he's smart, he improves, he IS NOT A FLUKE.
:peace::gony:

Thanks clyde, I also forgot to mention he has an ability to draw fouls at a high rate...he can sell a call and looks to draw contact.

His defense has been bad at times, but other times it has been solid...example would be the block on D Rose, the occasional steal...he might not be fantastic on the ball but he has defensive awareness. His on ball defense needs to be more consistent, but that can be taught, it is simply improving foot work to stay in front of your man.

Lin's faults are minor and can be fixed...ball handling, decision making while under pressure, and on ball defense can be improved with simple experience and mentoring ala Jason Kidd.

If Raymond Felton averaged 9 assists per game with only Amare and Gallo...then imagine the numbers Lin can generate with a full season of Amare, Chandler and Melo

He will be a great player, should be an allstar eventually

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
YES

Dolan got Lin one of the leagues best tutors ..
I don't think it wasn't Dolan's doing...more of Cuban 'undoing' forced Kidd to Knicks. Cuban showed absolutely no desire in retaining any of his championship players, all except Dirk.

If i were Dirk, I would request to a trade to Knicks and join my formal teammates!

Dirk for Stat!

Paul1355

All Star
I don't think it wasn't Dolan's doing...more of Cuban 'undoing' forced Kidd to Knicks. Cuban showed absolutely no desire in retaining any of his championship players, all except Dirk.

If i were Dirk, I would request to a trade to Knicks and join my formal teammates!

Dirk for Stat!

championship! lol