Knicks Starting To Look Like The NBA Retirement Home

GoKnicks!

Benchwarmer
Older means more prone to injuries and fatigue. Baron Davis is not even as old as Kidd and Camby, but you can see his age while he was playing.

The youngest players are Lin, Shump, now that they got rid of Jorts and JJ, and Shump is out for a big part of the season.

If Nets get D12, it's over. Not too old, not too young players, just right.

Forrest17

Rotation player
Who in our Starting Line up is old?

Amar'e, Lin, Chandler, Shumpert, Carmelo, Smith, are all 29 or younger

Our bench isn't even really old either. Just 2 players.

So yes, Camby and Kidd are old, but they still play at a high level, and they have experience of going deep into the play offs and what to do in clutch situations. And they still play at a high level.

Kidd was just the starting point guard on the team that beat the heat just a year ago. You could have said the same thing about the Mavericks squad a year ago as well.. All of their big name players other than Chandler where over 30.

Paul1355

All Star
Older means more prone to injuries and fatigue. Baron Davis is not even as old as Kidd and Camby, but you can see his age while he was playing.

The youngest players are Lin, Shump, now that they got rid of Jorts and JJ, and Shump is out for a big part of the season.

If Nets get D12, it's over. Not too old, not too young players, just right.

LOL great thread title...

But i believe the age only helps us and gives more experience, leadership, and overal toughness.

Kidd and Camby have been around the block and won't let Lebitch, DckWad and Raptor face get off easy shots

Glen Grunwald said he would get "experience" and that is exactly what he got.

We have a solid team and to be honest with you most games are played in the half court and that is where Camby is at his best and Kidd can still run the floor and dish for some nice swishes.(Clyde made me do it)

So to be honest with you to say we are worse because we got older, actually only two old players, is nonesense. KG just got a huge 3 year deal...is anyone complaining about his age when he wooped Miami in the playoffs? No...why are people still scared of Ray Allen, because with his age he is still lethal from outside.

Age is over rated unless you are a Derrick Rose that aged 20 years and can't attack the rim anymore like you use to....OR if you are an Amare Stoudemire who can't make wide open shots...but I am getting off on a tanget.

Fact is that we are better with these additions and it gives us a strong bench that will come through in the playoffs.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Not sure if troll bait or just a retard.

1. Comparing Davis to Kidd & Camby, GTFO

2. Camby is the pinacle of longevity, look at his numbers IN THE MINUTES he played last year. Kidd provides veteran leadership and can still contribute immensely on and off the ball.

I know New Yorkers are never happy but damn i'm really starting to see how posters like this give us all a bad name. To so many it was 'Kidd or bust' and 'there was no way we could get kidd or camby', thinking we would have to settle for Foye & K mart. We get both of them and people create bull**** reasons to doubt us.

Yes Kidd's numbers dropped, he played 36min per game in a condensed schedule. He will get more rest and be much fresher, and besides, we traded away CRAP for Camby. Can't believe I actually wasted my time with a reply. Plus the Knicks are in a 'win now' mode.

As a back up unit of:
Kidd
JR (Once Shump returns)
Novak
Jeffries/Kmart on BAE?
Camby

That puts us into REAL CONTENTION for the best defensive team AND the deepest team in the league. Man this lineup is a defensive force and still has offensive options. No way we lose leads with this lineup, would probably kill the weaker teams in the league with our second unit.

Its a known fact that you need verteran leadership on your team in order to win championships. 2008 Celtics, 2011 Mavs, 2004 Pistons, 2006 Heat, every Spurs championship team, Shaq-Era Lakers...Or just have the best player in the sport mixed with other great players.

Since we don't have the best players in the sport on one team i'd rather take the safe road of having battle tested vets...

If you don't understand the importance of having vets that can still contribute at a fairly higher level then their avg position player then you don't know basketball or what it takes to win. This thread is a piece of ****, And it seems you don't know what it takes to win besides "Get Chris Paul and we win!". If Camby was playing 30 mpg he would be averaging about 10 points 12 rebounds and 2.0 blocks. That's better then what Roy Hibbert produced in his 30 mpg and he was an All-Star center...

Shut up and research before blasting one of the most important aspects of a championship team.

closed.jpg

Last edited:

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
I agree with Big Apple Sports..
Both Kidd and Camby know what it is to get to the NBA Finals, and they're both very eager to get that ring while they still have the chance..

mafra

Legend
Knicks window to make a run here is 2-3 years. After the 2014-1015 season, the books are cleared and NYK will rebuild from there.

This is why the Knicks had to match the HOU offer for LIN, and avoid (at all costs) trading Shumpert. NOt that either is a lock to be a future all-star, but those 2 were the only thing close to future building blocks that we posses on our roster.

The hope is Shumpert heals and becomes a stud SG... One you build a team around; That LIN becomes a VERY, VERY good offensive PG. That JR Smith matures, and grows into a solid 6th man (offensive spark plug). This would give the Knicks a solid back court of 3 gents.

If Chandler wasn't sick, Lin was healthy, Shumpert didn't go down in game-1, and Amar'e didn't fight the fire extinguisher... Do we give MIA a better series? NOW, add Kidd & Camby to the mix...

Considering our cap situation, being able to resign LIN, Smith & NOvak... along with adding Kidd & Camby. Well, that's about as good as we could hope for.

Having Kidd here to mentor LIN & run the offense down the stretch; bringing Camby in to protect the rim & rebound... This will help. Camby & Chandler will prevent Lebron & Wade from dunking.

STAT1

Starter
If Chandler wasn't sick, Lin was healthy, Shumpert didn't go down in game-1, and Amar'e didn't fight the fire extinguisher... Do we give MIA a better series?

& Yet there are still some posters who want to kill Melo for not carrying this team further in the playoffs this year. Incredible.

Considering our cap situation, being able to resign LIN, Smith & NOvak... along with adding Kidd & Camby. Well, that's about as good as we could hope for.

Agreed. This offseason is coming together nicely!

Having Kidd here to mentor LIN & run the offense down the stretch; bringing Camby in to protect the rim & rebound... This will help. Camby & Chandler will prevent Lebron & Wade from dunking.

I don't think anyone would ever prevent Wade & Lebron from dunking.

metrocard

Legend
This is pretty much a poorly thought out thread that's useless and should be aborted.

Camby is top ten in his position.
Kidd is an elite PURE PG.

Jorts and Douglas would never have give us what these men are going to give us for 3 seasons.

Age is timeless with Jason and Marcus, they get by with their skill, awareness and overall talent that isnt deminished if you saw them play last season.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Knicks window to make a run here is 2-3 years. After the 2014-1015 season, the books are cleared and NYK will rebuild from there.

This is why the Knicks had to match the HOU offer for LIN, and avoid (at all costs) trading Shumpert. NOt that either is a lock to be a future all-star, but those 2 were the only thing close to future building blocks that we posses on our roster.

The hope is Shumpert heals and becomes a stud SG... One you build a team around; That LIN becomes a VERY, VERY good offensive PG. That JR Smith matures, and grows into a solid 6th man (offensive spark plug). This would give the Knicks a solid back court of 3 gents.

If Chandler wasn't sick, Lin was healthy, Shumpert didn't go down in game-1, and Amar'e didn't fight the fire extinguisher... Do we give MIA a better series? NOW, add Kidd & Camby to the mix...

Considering our cap situation, being able to resign LIN, Smith & Novak... along with adding Kidd & Camby. Well, that's about as good as we could hope for.

I couldn't possibly agree more with this post.

It's not an optimistic post, either. This post is analytically correct, IMO, and is clearly made by a poster who loves his Knicks and takes consideration without bias.

+1.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
& Yet there are still some posters who want to kill Melo for not carrying this team further in the playoffs this year. Incredible.

Dead on. It's definitely unfair. I was prepared to burn Melo at the stake on a few occasions during the regular season. He really was that underwhelming as a contributor and teammate.

I like what I've seen and heard of his offseason thus far, and am actually pretty excited about him for next season.

I'm sure I speak against the majority here, but I don't think he's even achieved reaching his potential.

He'll want it all the more now after last season, and now, more than ever before, I believe (I can't say that I know) that he wants to change for the better. That is the first step prior to the big leap forward for Carmelo Anthony in my eyes.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Alright, some numbers... % RS games played/total over the last three seasons:

Stoudemire: 88%
Anthony: 86%
Kidd: 88%
Camby: 83%

How FCS are they injury-prone? :shrug:

Alright, some numbers... % RS games played/total over the last three seasons:

Stoudemire: 88%
Anthony: 86%
Kidd: 88%
Camby: 83%

How FCS are they injury-prone? :shrug:

This is what happens when bandwagon seats are on sale, idiots began to ruin the image of that teams true sports fans. Im pretty sure hardcore Heat fans are shaking their heads at the things these new Heat fans are saying on a daily basis.

mafra

Legend
Crazy⑧s;241141 said:
I couldn't possibly agree more with this post.

It's not an optimistic post, either. This post is analytically correct, IMO, and is clearly made by a poster who loves his Knicks and takes consideration without bias.

+1.

Thank you for the kind words. As a long time NYK fan, the light at the end of the tunnel is normally the headlights of an oncoming semi... BUt I still come back for the pain.

Nothing sucks more than having Dolan as an owner. But what can we do?

The keys to the Kidd-Camby signings are twofold: (1) we are adding depth and preparing for the playoffs. (2) We are building a more half court orientated team.

The leadership of Kidd & Camby will also alleviate that responsibility from the shoulders of Amare & Carmelo.

Since the trade, everything has built up towards this season for Anthony. He came here midseason, and then Billups-Amare were lost vs BOS. Then came the lockout, and then only half of STAT returned to play last season.

But now Carmelo is settled. He's here and there's some continuity. He has a supporting cast now. We can play defense. It's time to put up or shut up.

We'll find out if Melo can be a winner this year. More than just a scorer. Look for a MONSTER campaign.

I think we finish as the 2 or 3 seed. We'll get pas the 1st round and then battle NYJ or BOS in the 2nd round. From there... anything is possible.

If we get to the Eastern Conf, face MIA... I would say things have fallen into place. Anything can happen then.

KEYS: LIN has to be a player. Not great. Just good. We cannot afford PG to be a weakness. The position must orchestrate the offense and get the most out of our front court. If PG is a strength... WATCH OUT. SHUMP has to return to form and be ready to go & balin' come April. KIDD & CAMBY stay fresh and on the court. AND AMARE MUST RETURN to the player he was the 1st half of 2010-2011.

If all this happens... Carmelo will do his part and NYK will have a 50+ win season and compete for a title.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Older means wiser....

signing Camby and Kidd makes us older very true, but it also makes us BETTER and those two additions alone improve areas we struggled in.

Camby put up 9 rpg Last season, he's the perfect compliment to back up Chandler. Our center rotation will be on point... arguably the best Center rotation in the NBA..... Marcus camby off the bench?? ILL TAKE IT.

Jason Kidd had a shaky last season, but no doubt he will bounce back. Everyone on the Mavs struggled even their go to guy dirk put up low numbers, nobody on that team looked motivated after coming off a championship. Jason kidd is still one of the best pure passing PG's in the league. He can mentor Lin and help Amare and Melo mesh... Jason Kidd as backup off the bench? ILL TAKE IT.

Jason Kidd could of easily went back to the Mavs as a starter

Marcus camby could of easily went to the Heat and start or a different team for more money.

As far as Baron Davis goes, he was already injured... this shortened season did not help at all, and Baron does not keep himself in good shape he was bound to get re-injured. He helped get us our first playoff win and gave us his all. I can respect that

As far as Jorts and JJ go.... i will miss jorts but Camby is a Vet who you can trust to do the right thing on the court and will come in handy big time in the playoffs for us. Jorts and JJ are still works in progress

RealNYK78

Rookie
Call Oakley n Mason..start a reunion..

NY is a victim of it own vision..Weakness last year was Perimeter Defense..and Offensive Identity from Point Guard..So does getting older help guard 3 pt line n close up on jumper shooters remains to be seen...giving away more picks..means you not scouting to find a gem..Getting older doesn't mean you getting better...

skisloper

Starter
NY is a victim of it own vision..Weakness last year was Perimeter Defense..and Offensive Identity from Point Guard..So does getting older help guard 3 pt line n close up on jumper shooters remains to be seen...giving away more picks..means you not scouting to find a gem..Getting older doesn't mean you getting better...

But what it means is we have 3 huge contracts for 3 years and truth is younger guys will not make these 3 into a championship team.....the additions of 2 solid 25 minute leadership guys in Kidd and Camby will help.....
In 3 years we we will be able to start again or resign any of our big time players....
No matter what in 3 years we will still have Lin and Shump and all the cap room to build...worse case if shump and Lin continue to grow we have a back court for the next 8 years,

But what it means is we have 3 huge contracts for 3 years and truth is younger guys will not make these 3 into a championship team.....the additions of 2 solid 25 minute leadership guys in Kidd and Camby will help.....
In 3 years we we will be able to start again or resign any of our big time players....
No matter what in 3 years we will still have Lin and Shump and all the cap room to build...worse case if shump and Lin continue to grow we have a back court for the next 8 years,

yes, but anything can happen in 3 years, I'm mainly worrying about what happens now. Will Lin be healthy, will he be worse, better or the same. We just don't know. These are my concerns and they should be yours as well. The addition of Kidd and Camby is a Hugh plus and their presense should educate Lin and Shump...in the least help cover any slack.