We are WEAK at the SG position

skisloper

Starter
Meeks would be nice. I said this before though the Knicks need someone who can play above all else. If they don't keep fields I will consider that a sign they found someone willing to take that 2.1 deal.

Based on Houstons changed offer to LIN there is no way they will keep Fields....now you are looking at an extra 10 million in luxury tax just for Fields.....Dolan cant be that stupid to throw away his money

Paul1355

All Star
Based on Houstons changed offer to LIN there is no way they will keep Fields....now you are looking at an extra 10 million in luxury tax just for Fields.....Dolan cant be that stupid to throw away his money

matching Lin will surely make matching FIelds contract even more unrealistic.

And Dolan can be stupid enough to throw away his money. He wasted so much money on terrible GM's and coaches and allowed players to get uber contracts that were not worth it while being in cap hell....Dolan does not know what it means to be smart financially. You would think an owner of Cablevision would be wiser with his decisions as owner of an NBA team. Shows you that a good owner is one with a basketball mind and not just a business mind.

Kiyaman

Legend
Meeks would be nice. I said this before though the Knicks need someone who can play above all else. If they don't keep fields I will consider that a sign they found someone willing to take that 2.1 deal.

Meeks is nice .. but Meeks is a 6.4 JR.Smith who lives on the 3-ball line without any skills to get to the foul line or talent to be impressive defending the passin-lane.

A choice between Meeks and Martel Webster .. Webster gets the spot.
A choice between Webster and Arron Brooks .. combo-Brooks decision-making gets the slot by a edge.

finestrg

Rotation player
I'm not a huge Webster guy. I know he came into the league right out of HS but I dunno man -- 6th pick overall in 2005, I expected a hell of a lot more than what he turned out to be. He plays like an ultra poor man's Glen Rice only not as big & nowhere near as talented. Gained a lot of weight the past few years, no? He looks much heavier now to me..I don't know if that was by design or what...That could have sapped whatever athleticism he may have had at one point, which wasn't all that high to begin with. This guy really has a hard time now putting the ball on the floor driving on guys. And with that extra weight, I can't imagine it got any easier trying to guard fellow NBA wings..Still, he's 6'7" and a better than average spot up shooter (a more reliable long-range threat than Fields) that shows a seviceable post up game on ocassion. Wouldn't be terrible..

Webster should be in the mix now that he just became available, but if we're looking at available 6'6"-6'7" wings, I think we can do better. Chris Douglas-Roberts is a much more talented player than Martell Webster. No comparison imo. I personally think 6'7" Scotty Hopson and 6'6" Sylven Landesberg are more talented than Webster too.

I'm really interested to see Chris Copeland and Jeff Brooks today in SL. Those 2 look like they can play. Both guys are listed at 6'8" -- Brooks looks like a 3 all the way but Copeland may have enough skills to play some 2.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
u make me smile....

He's responding to Kiya's original post, which is basically a long rant about how JR Smith is bad and how we should resign fields. > not about being weak at SG, which is luckily what the thread turned into

Hating on Kiya does nothing for the emptiness at the 2-guard spot.
I made my point vivid on the resigning of JR.Smith who's not a threat on offense or defense as a NBA guard, JR signing in offseason still leave the Knicks empty at the 2-guard .. it was a waste signing JR in the regular season & offseason.
Dolan recruited Melo, and Melo recruited JR.Smith .. there's no more to mention on the subject other then "We are weak at the SG position"....
and who are the best available candidates we can get to put in the backcourt with PG-Kidd/PG-Lin???

P.S. A contender backcourt rotation are the same as having 4 wheels on your car, plus a spare in the trunk (JR.Smith is that "donut" spare). Kidd & Lin are your front wheel-drive, Shump is a back wheel that wont be prepared untill late midseason.
The 50-16 Chicago Bulls 2011-12 season were a great example with their playoff experience starters (Rose/Rip) injured the majority of their 66 game season.

elcol

Rotation player
Hating on Kiya does nothing for the emptiness at the 2-guard spot.
I made my point vivid on the resigning of JR.Smith who's not a threat on offense or defense as a NBA guard, JR signing in offseason still leave the Knicks empty at the 2-guard .. it was a waste signing JR in the regular season & offseason.
Dolan recruited Melo, and Melo recruited JR.Smith .. there's no more to mention on the subject other then "We are weak at the SG position"....
and who are the best available candidates we can get to put in the backcourt with PG-Kidd/PG-Lin???

P.S. A contender backcourt rotation are the same as having 4 wheels on your car, plus a spare in the trunk (JR.Smith is that "donut" spare). Kidd & Lin are your front wheel-drive, Shump is a back wheel that wont be prepared untill late midseason.
The 50-16 Chicago Bulls 2011-12 season were a great example with their playoff experience starters (Rose/Rip) injured the majority of their 66 game season.

I wasn't hating on anybody, but it doesn't look like we will get Fields in particular at this point.

Kiyaman

Legend
I'm not a huge Webster guy. I know he came into the league right out of HS but I dunno man -- 6th pick overall in 2005, I expected a hell of a lot more than what he turned out to be. He plays like an ultra poor man's Glen Rice only not as big & nowhere near as talented. Gained a lot of weight the past few years, no? He looks much heavier now to me..I don't know if that was by design or what...That could have sapped whatever athleticism he may have had at one point, which wasn't all that high to begin with. This guy really has a hard time now putting the ball on the floor driving on guys. And with that extra weight, I can't imagine it got any easier trying to guard fellow NBA wings..Still, he's 6'7" and a better than average spot up shooter (a more reliable long-range threat than Fields) that shows a seviceable post up game on ocassion. Wouldn't be terrible..

Webster should be in the mix now that he just became available, but if we're looking at available 6'6"-6'7" wings, I think we can do better. Chris Douglas-Roberts is a much more talented player than Martell Webster. No comparison imo. I personally think 6'7" Scotty Hopson and 6'6" Sylven Landesberg are more talented than Webster too.

I'm really interested to see Chris Copeland and Jeff Brooks today in SL. Those 2 look like they can play. Both guys are listed at 6'8" -- Brooks looks like a 3 all the way but Copeland may have enough skills to play some 2.

Nice input....Jason Kidd will have his hands full tutoring Jeremy Lin skills on knowing our oponents starters talents, plus teaching Lin how to get consitency of getting Melo/Stat/Tyson/Camby co-existin in a frontcourt system rotation vs variable oponents.
Kidd & Lin will need at least one experience SG in the rotation familure with oponents NBA starters, only half the teams in the league will have mediocre backcourt starters the young players u mention could take advantage of with their skills. Veteran depth players Webster, Douglas-Roberts, Meeks are not quality starters or 6th/7th men in a rotation .. they are decent depth players to substitute for rest/foul trouble/injury/or stretching the team rotation.

mafra

Legend
According to ROTOWORLD:

"Frank Isola reports that Grant Hill met with the Knicks in Las Vegas.

Hill was first linked to the Lakers due Steve Nash's presence however, the veteran recently confirmed that he is not retiring just yet and is rumored to be looking at the Heat, Thunder, and Knicks as possible destinations."

Makes sense. Looks like Knicks want to play in the 40-&-over league.

Seriously though... Hill can start at SG (while Shump recovers). He can hit the shot & play defense. Knows his role. He passes. Keeps JR Smith as the 6th man (his best role).

Knicks know Shump is the long term solution at SG. Don't want to impede that growth.

Since we brought in Kidd, Camby & Kurt Thomas... We're obviously all-in to win this season. Grant Hill would be perfect fit.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
According to ROTOWORLD:

Hill was first linked to the Lakers due Steve Nash's presence however, the veteran recently confirmed that he is not retiring just yet and is rumored to be looking at the Heat, Thunder, and Knicks as possible destinations."

Seriously though... Hill can start at SG (while Shump recovers). He can hit the shot & play defense. Knows his role. He passes. Keeps JR Smith as the 6th man (his best role).

Knicks know Shump is the long term solution at SG. Don't want to impede that growth.

Since we brought in Kidd, Camby & Kurt Thomas... We're obviously all-in to win this season. Grant Hill would be perfect fit.

Wow.. I'm not sure about this. If we do sign him, we'd have 4 of the 5 oldest players in the league, all over 38 years old. At 18-25 mins a game though, I guess it wouldn't hurt. They better be careful about injuries though.

Paul1355

All Star
According to ROTOWORLD:

Isola also said if the Knicks signed Hill they would have 4 of the 5 oldest players in NBA...LOL

I like vets but having a lineup of:

Kidd/Prigioni
Hill
Novak
Thomas
Camby

is ancient...

i love the toughness but any bench we face that has legit athleticism and speed will torch us...however we are great in a half court with the bench

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
i love the toughness but any bench we face that has legit athleticism and speed will torch us...however we are great in a half court with the bench

We will be seeing a lot of half-court offense this year. Everything will be predicated on Melo's offensive whims.

I'd still like to see Lin back to push that ball for JR and eventually Shump.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
According to ROTOWORLD:

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Grant Hill will be a Laker and play with his buddy Steve Nash next season book it

We been trying to get Grant hill in a Knicks uniform for damn near 3 years now

TruOrngnBlu

Benchwarmer
HMMM. Why do I get the feeling the other shoe has got to drop with this SG situation.

I'm so shocked they let Lin go I wouldn't be suprised if we saw Shump as part of a deal for a startin caliber SG.

CoolClyde

Your new ny knicks sg....

here's the answer to the Knicks weakness at SG, we've already paid this playah's salary
to the tune of $12M, your new SG for the NY Knicks 2012-13 season is:

anucha.jpg

oh yeah, James Dolan, spend those bucks where it counts!
you tha man! baby d*ck fagg*t silver spoon owner!
babydolan.jpg

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
here's the answer to the Knicks weakness at SG, we've already paid this playah's salary
to the tune of $12M, your new SG for the NY Knicks 2012-13 season is:

anucha.jpg

oh yeah, James Dolan, spend those bucks where it counts!
you tha man! baby d*ck fagg*t silver spoon owner!
babydolan.jpg
lol that Dolan picture gets me every time

Tokie420

Benchwarmer
Ok. Seriously tho. Now this bitchsanity **** is behind us, who plays the 2 next year? Jr and White til Shump gets back:barf:? One injury and were ****ed in the backcourt.

Tokie420

Benchwarmer
Can flight guard 2's?

Again if flight is the dude and its Felton/Kidd/Prigoni and JR/White until shump gets back were even dumber then I thought. One injury. ONE. Mind you 2/3 pg are 35+ and ones a NBA rookie(I know hes played alot yadda yadda) add that to the fact we have a career 6 man and a glorofied slam dunk contest participant at the 2. So again ONE INJURY and were ****ed till Iman comes back, and maybe even after that.