Where the hell are the offer sheets at?

New New York

Quiet Storm
At risk of having to deal with some know-it-all "I know the ins and outs of free agency" type poster I am still going to beg the question, why have the offer sheets not even been presented to our Front Office yet?

Is there any chance of "cold feet" and either team pulling the offers?

Can Houston restructure Lin's offer? I say that because they have used the Amnesty on Scola (presumably to get Dwight) but in theory they now have more money to offer Lin that final year, so is what has been reported accurate?

Can Toronto withdraw their offer to Feilds if it was made before 7/11/12 which is when they can be officially signed?

Look, I do not know the rules of Free Agent offer sheets, so I don't mind asking the dumb questions. so please can a more versed poster inform me for peace of mind

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer
I can't start a new thread but wanted to let you guys know to not forget to set your DVR for tonight. Team USA plays Dominican Republic at midnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt
Source says that Jeremy Lin has officially signed three-year, $25.1M offer sheet with the Rockets. Knicks will have three days to match.

Marc Berman ‏@NYPost_Berman
Source says Morey has raised Lin offer to guarantee of $25M over three years instead of $19M

Source says raised the Lin guarantee to $25M because they lost their point guards and are more desperate.

Last edited:

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Rockets added a big poison pill in the 3rd year, 5, 5.2 and then 14.9, when the Knicks are projected to be at 90 million, coinciding with CBA rules of a stiffer luxury tax. Is that supposed to scare off the Knicks?

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
Didn't know they could up their offer before the first one came in, anyway, Lin better bring in a championship for the 15mil year. As for the rockets, man, I feel sorry for them. What are they thinking, even if they get Howard there is no guarantee they can get him to sign another contract. Might as well use all of the picks they got and build a new team from scratch. Who knows, if they suck enough this year they can get a superstar next year and get back in the game.

tiger0330

Legend
Rockets added a big poison pill in the 3rd year, 5, 5.2 and then 14.9, when the Knicks are projected to be at 90 million, coinciding with CBA rules of a stiffer luxury tax. Is that supposed to scare off the Knicks?
It sure will scare the Knicks or any other team in 2013. The tax for being 20M over the luxury tax threshold will be 45M. First casualty will be Landry Fields, no way they sign him now.

Fighting the Poison Pill

I've thought of some possible strategies to fight off Houston's poison pill offer to Lin, but, I have no clue whether they would even be possible. So I'd appreciate any knowledge on this.

First - to avoid the poison pill, why can't the Knicks not just match the Houston offer, but give Lin a bigger but more cap friendly contract? For example, could the Knicks counter with 4 years for 9 million, with each year being spread out evenly.

Second - why couldn't the Knicks match the offer, and then in the second year of the contract, before the poison pill takes effect, renegotiate a new long term contract with Lin, commensurate with how he is playing by year two. So, for example, after paying Lin 5 million for 2 years, and assuming he played very well, then they could sign Lin to a new 4 or 5 year contract for 12 million a year, with Lin making like 8 million in his first year then 17 million in his last year.

Any thoughts? Especially regarding the first option - out-matching Houston's offer.

Seba

Benchwarmer
None its possible.

When your restricted free agent gets an offer, all you can do is match or let him leave, no other options.

And there is no such thing as renegotiating a contract.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Houston is run by morons.

The rockets are an absolute mess.

They certainly are.

Colan will match. Fields is now a potential bad signing long forgotten. Can't say I'm too upset, and the + $6M that came from matching him would've had the same effect and bumped Dolan's new CBA cap penalty payment to $45M anyway.

Glenny G should've gotten in earlier really, but this is no skin off the nose of our FO, and certainly not a huge impact on Dolan's man-purse in the NY market. Especially considering we'll be winning more games this year.

Luis Scola being amnestied is absolutely ****ing ludicrous. He is a rare breed of old school/Euro savvy PF, and he is a hard nut on top of that. Surely there were bidders for his services. Desperate GMs do desperate things, and this reeks of pressure from the owners, as a poorly thought out plan and idiotic moves culminate in this offseason's worst decision.

Dwight Howard may have intervened ~ just a guess. I know he's a God botherer just like Lin. Maybe they've been in cahoots? Seems unlikely.

Regardless of the bump in the offer sheet, the Knicks will match. The Rockets are a festering mess, who, after sucking the life out of us in the T Mac trade, have done nothing but bugger their franchise in the pooper. Dragic, Lowry, and now a Dwight Howard campaign with Bynum as a plan B?

James Dolan is going to take the utmost pleasure in crushing their Linsane offer, and the Rockets will rue the day they decided to amnesty Scola and lose 2 top notch point guards for d!ck.

Fvck Houston! I can't wait to tear them apart on their floor next year. It will be a game and a year for the Rockets to forget.

elcol

Rotation player
Crazy⑧s;241892 said:
They certainly are.

Colan will match. Fields is now a potential bad signing long forgotten. Can't say I'm too upset, and the + $6M that came from matching him would've had the same effect and bumped Dolan's new CBA cap penalty payment to $45M anyway.

Glenny G should've gotten in earlier really, but this is no skin off the nose of our FO, and certainly not a huge impact on Dolan's man-purse in the NY market. Especially considering we'll be winning more games this year.

Luis Scola being amnestied is absolutely ****ing ludicrous. He is a rare breed of old school/Euro savvy PF, and he is a hard nut on top of that. Surely there were bidders for his services. Desperate GMs do desperate things, and this reeks of pressure from the owners, as a poorly thought out plan and idiotic moves culminate in this offseason's worst decision.

Dwight Howard may have intervened ~ just a guess. I know he's a God botherer just like Lin. Maybe they've been in cahoots? Seems unlikely.

Regardless of the bump in the offer sheet, the Knicks will match. The Rockets are a festering mess, who, after sucking the life out of us in the T Mac trade, have done nothing but bugger their franchise in the pooper. Dragic, Lowry, and now a Dwight Howard campaign with Bynum as a plan B?

James Dolan is going to take the utmost pleasure in crushing their Linsane offer, and the Rockets will rue the day they decided to amnesty Scola and lose 2 top notch point guards for d!ck.

Fvck Houston! I can't wait to tear them apart on their floor next year. It will be a game and a year for the Rockets to forget.

You have restored my faith... in the funky chinamans signing.

This is sort of nervewracking...

New New York

Quiet Storm
I knew I smelled a rat!!!

Houston changed their original offer to Lin in the past week because they knew The Knicks would have easily matched their other proposal.

http://newyorkpost.com/p/sports/knicks/lin_match_stick_SaOeWm9GmE9b6FjL2sxQLO

This is indeed why they used the amnesty on Scola to free up the room for such a deal!

Berman says Lin flew out to Vegas without letting The Knicks know to change the proposed deal (Berman said it so take w grain of salt).

Bad PR move for Lin and bad move for his realationship w Knicks front office....if was gonna renegotiate w Houston he could've talked w Knicks who could have beat Houston's offer with a 4 year deal.

Does Lin not want The KNICKS to Match!?

fender0577

Rotation player
Lin is trying to do right by Lin, and i see nothing wrong with that, get all you can, while you can.God knows he's not worth it anyways, so get it before the gig is up.