Raymond Felton Traded to the Knicks

STAT1

Starter
Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I think 1 good thing out of all this is that STAT will probably play better next season. He had great chemistry with Felton before the Melo trade went down. I hope this brings him back to where he was when he was playing like an MVP again. That will quickly make me forget about losing Jeremy Lin.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Dunno about the Rockets' situation, but I do know the Knicks & Cablevision made a TON of extra money that they never would have because of Linsanity last year. They even got Time Warner to pony up the dollars to carry the MSG network again! Cablevision stock went up as well when Linsanity happened. Can't for the life of me figure out why the Knicks wouldn't match this offer, even at the increased dollars in year 3. I get the feeling this was more than simply about money for Dolan. Either that or he's just playing us all for fools right now & still plans to match the offer? We'll all find out on Tuesday, but I don't think Dolan would ever be that clever.

I certainly can't see how not wanting to pay the tax can/should be a factor for Colan.

Billy Hoyle, rad new poster, highlighted it all very well:

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:MSG

The end of January was when the Timewarner blackout of MSG stood in full effect. Linsanity began on Febuary fourth, with a deal being struck on Febuary 17th (the details of which emerged over the following few days). Notice the immediate two point jump in stock, worth approximately $100 million dollars to the Dolan Family. I'm not going to credit Lin for the entire six point gain since the whole fiasco, but on January 31st, the knicks were a team on a losing streak that nobody would watch. 3 Weeks later, it was an unimaginable crime and hardship to picture a third of New York City cable televisions blacked out to their games.

That is what Lin did for Dolan: 100 million in 2 weeks, and there is no denying that. However, this is where I get very disgusted. The Timewarner deal is done and old news. There will not be any renegotation, so losing Lin should have a minimal hit on the stock. Moreoever, the stadium will fill out whether or not Lin is there because the Knicks are a playoff team without him. Not matching these two offers is a cool 65 million in profit saved directly by Dolan.

Now for some foreshadowing
Why is this important? If we are unwilling to go over the luxury tax for guys like Field and Lin, we will not have the cap flexibility to match S&T cap numbers for our next crop of guys we try to lure to NY. We need to keep in mind that along with being a huge hit to the luxury tax, bumping up the third year of The Fields/Lin contracts also turns them in huge expiring contracts, which are also known as trade assets If 3 years from now there is a guy like Kevin Love saying he won't sign anywhere but NY, we could pretty much offer Lin for Love in a straight up deal, along with throwing in some draftpicks. Match the Landry offer as well, and we could throw in his expiring deal and take back a bad contract.

The bottom line is that I am very pissed off about the way this offseason is unfolding, and it demonstrates a willingness by Dolan to maximize his profits at the expense of the success of our team

I can certainly see - as highlighted by JR and Melo's quotes - that the contract doesn't fit the what Lin's achieved as a player, and the only concern about that, IMO, is that his being overpaid in year 3 may cause some dissension within the team. There's every chance that Lin could play up to that exorbitant $15M, but there's an equal chance that he won't.

In Dolan's case, however, there is every reason to fork up. There is no good reason for him in any sense to not match for Jeremy Lin. Absolute PR nightmare.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I think 1 good thing out of all this is that STAT will probably play better next season. He had great chemistry with Felton before the Melo trade went down. I hope this brings him back to where he was when he was playing like an MVP again. That will quickly make me forget about losing Jeremy Lin.

Of course it will. Wins > Lins.

I'm cautiously optimistic, as they say, that STAT will have a better season. Looking forward to him, Felton - who he had good chemistry with, as you said - and Kidd running some plays, for sure.

If he comes in with a back down game that includes a turn around and a baby hook, we'll be all the better for it.

He'll also have Knick legend, Kurt Thomas, training him up to get some at least semi-respectable D going. If that pans out...............

STAT1

Starter
Crazy⑧s;242598 said:
I certainly can't see how not wanting to pay the tax can/should be a factor for Colan.

Billy Hoyle, rad new poster, highlighted it all very well:

I can certainly see - as highlighted by JR and Melo's quotes - that the contract doesn't fit the what Lin's achieved as a player, and the only concern about that, IMO, is that his being overpaid in year 3 may cause some dissension within the team. There's every chance that Lin could play up to that exorbitant $15M, but there's an equal chance that he won't.

In Dolan's case, however, there is every reason to fork up. There is no good reason for him in any sense to not match for Jeremy Lin. Absolute PR nightmare.

I think your boy Billy Hoyle summed it all up perfectly.

Not matching these two offers is a cool 65 million in profit saved directly by Dolan.

I am holding onto a slim as hell hope that Dolan comes to his senses & matches this offer & makes fools of Steven A Smith, the Houston Rockets & all the rest of the ESPN reporters & all of us upset Knick fans in the process. But I highly doubt it will go down like that. I think Lin is gone, & it's a damn shame that it had to come to this. All for the sake of an extra $5M on his contract, which to me is peanuts compared to the extra endorsement dollars he would have made if he were playing in NYC next season.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
And compared to the amount of money he has already made MSG. He's already made MSG more money than all of the luxury tax he could cost + his actual salary.

Bottom line is Felton is not a great defender and he is not a great shooter. When it was crunch time for him in the postseason, he got absolutely DEMOLISHED by Jameer Nelson.

Jameer ****ing Nelson made Felton look like a fool.

CoolClyde

Update on Knicks - Blazers Trade

according to those fags at Posting and Toasting:

"The trade the Knicks arranged to acquire Raymond Felton and Kurt Thomas from the Blazers apparently can't happen until tomorrow, but it seems both sides have ironed out the details. Jason Quick of the Oregonian reports:

Blazers-Knicks trade will go through tomorrow. Blazers get Jared Jeffries, Dan Gadzuric, Kostas Papanikolaou and Georgios Prentezis and $$

Knicks get Raymond Felton and Kurt Thomas. No other Blazers players will be included. Knicks will pay Jeffries' $1.35M salary"

WTF? Knicks trade away Papa Nick already? pay Giraffries zoo feed?
can this be true, Knicks keep getting dicked in the a$$ by every team they trade with?

whatever.

Jinki?s

Rookie
I think Lin is gone, & it's a damn shame that it had to come to this. All for the sake of an extra $5M on his contract, which to me is peanuts compared to the extra endorsement dollars he would have made if he were playing in NYC next season.

There are way more Asian Americans in the Northeast than in Texas too, thus a bigger following. Wasted a crazy good opportunity :\

Wargames

Starter

"The trade the Knicks arranged to acquire Raymond Felton and Kurt Thomas from the Blazers apparently can't happen until tomorrow, but it seems both sides have ironed out the details. Jason Quick of the Oregonian reports:

Blazers-Knicks trade will go through tomorrow. Blazers get Jared Jeffries, Dan Gadzuric, Kostas Papanikolaou and Georgios Prentezis and $$

Knicks get Raymond Felton and Kurt Thomas. No other Blazers players will be included. Knicks will pay Jeffries' $1.35M salary"

can this be true, Knicks keep getting dicked in the a$$ by every team they trade with?

whatever.

alonzo-mourning-heat-upset-then-realization.gif

**** RAYMOND FELTON!!!!!!!!!! And his "people" he should have kept his fat ass in Portland. I hate him so much. Mike Woodson you told me Jeremy would stay here forever you are a liar. I never should have trusted you.

We know he'll play well with stat. I don't remember him being great at the lob so I don't know about chemistry with chandler. Kidd should make up for that though.

I see him putting up 14 and 7 maybe a little more if melo and stat come to play. Not a huge drop off from Lin but if melo or Amare get hurt in the play offs we are done again.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star

whatever.

Is Isiah the GM again?

finestrg

Rotation player

whatever.

Absolutely rediculous. Forget Will Barton -- to not even get Jon Diebler outta this trade that was first being reported and then to find out we gave up Pap AND Prentezis. AND cash. AND have to pay Jeffries' salary??? WTF??????? I mean come on Glen -- Felton sucked last yr man...SUCKED!!!!!!! They must REALLY REALLY REALLY feel disrespected by/pissed off at Lin to agree to this deal for Felton. Total fleece-job by Portland if you ask me. WTF -- great opportunity to come up with a 2G here -- either a guy similar to Jamal Crawford (Barton) or at the very least, a young 6'6" version of Steve Novak (Diebler) and we get NEITHER??? Is that what you're telling us, Glen? WHY????????

There's gonna be a lot of pressure on Felton here. He better come in here IN SHAPE and ready to go. Fully committed, like no other time in his life.

Ain't gonna happen but personally, I tell Portland to go F themselves with this deal, resign Lin and use the remaining assets we have for a 2G. We tell the Blazers that tomorrow morning, watch Portland blink and throw in Diebler...Be smart here, Glen. Come on. I'm so ****ing disappointed these last couple of days I can't even tell ya, man. This **** is rediculous.

:wtf:

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
I am sure there is a logical explanation to all these moves.

You don't reload by getting part-time old-timers. As much as we all love Camby and Kidd, these are really really old players.

You don't reload by getting rid of your first promising young player in I don't know how many years because you ****ed up in not offering a contract first.

Can you Lin-haters stop with the SSS logic? When was the last player who did what Lin did at MSG for 25 games?

Yeah, in Felton we trust. :barf:

Forrest17

Rotation player
I hate felton. I HATE HIM. Such a terrible point guard. He cannot run an offense. He is mentally weak, and will COLLAPSE in any playoff scenario. ANY. This seriously just sucks.

With Lin gone say goodbye to exciting Knicks basketball. After he went out, even though we were still winning a decent amount of games, it was insanely boring other than that Chicago game.

Just SIGN LIN. Just do it, who gives a ****.. If we are soo worried about the tax in the last year, just TRADE someone. We will have like, 10 expiring contracts that year anyhow, we will get SOMEONE to bite and take something off for us.... Jeez... Just DO IT.

I don't understand why so many people have such issue with Giving Lin that money either.. No one would be opposed to giving Dragic 35 million. Yet how much more did he show than Lin? A little bit I guess but not THAT much.

Forrest17

Rotation player
Felton will be horrible and he will loose his place to Prigioni within a month. Who will actually do very well at point.

Forrest17

Rotation player
Ugh.. I still can't get over this... I mean I WANT him to play well, if we loose lin.. but he wont... Because Felton has very weak character..And I feel the things he needs in order to succeed are as following

-A coach that won't be "mean" to him- I can't tell how many articles I've read about this guy moaning and being depressed about how his coach doesn't like him or doesn't have faith in him. With Larry Brown, and in Portland, they weren't like D'Antoni, i.e. a soft quite guy who gave him permission to do whatever he wanted no matter if it hurt the team or not.

-Be the unquestionable starter- Again around the time he got benched he was one of the worst pg I have ever seen. If his position is in danger he panics and chokes under pressure. he cannot handle pressure and that is the last thing you want from a player.

-unquestionable job security- Even in NY when trade rumors started.. He fell apart. A good player goes to work and does his job whatever the rumors are..That again can't happen. If we are paying this guy millions he needs to come to work every day and play as well as he can. SUCK IT UP BRO.

Lin was close to being waived and shipped off to play for Yao Ming's team in China, he was always in danger and played for his job all the time. Is clutch and can play under pressure. F*** THE LUXARY TAX.. DON'T SETTLE FOR FELTON.. RESIGN LIN.. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.