Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    142
    Rep Power
    0

    Default lin and fields got ridiculous money thrown at them. let em walk.

    fields has been overrated by people for a couple years and lin is still a question mark. i also find it funny how more established veterans are taking less money to go to miami yet two young players for the knicks can't suck up some pride to come back here. jesus

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    not lins fault. blame it on knicks mismanagement. they should have offered lin a contract from the start. say they offer a 3 year contract for 5 mil per year for first 2 years and 10 mil in the third year, I'm sure lin would have signed that right away and we wouldn't be in this mess right now. all they had to do was say to lin, that is the max we can offer you without triggering the lux tax and is a very generous offer for someone who hasn't even played for a full season yet. plus the tons of big endorsement deals for lin for staying in the biggest media market. even if all lin cared about was the money, he would be an idiot not to take the offer. its a win- win offer for lin and the knicks and makes things simple, it shows that the knicks respect and value him and are serious about keeping him and saves them money because they can offer a contract that doesn't trigger the lux tax. letting him go elsewhere to look for contract just really complicates and screws things up for the knicks, with a large risk of putting the team in lux tax hell, and that is what happened. they let another team control the outcome and are paying for it. offering a contract off the bat would make it clear that the knicks respects and value lin, and are serious about him. and not doing so could be interpreted as a sign of disrespect. really, really stupid move!
    Last edited by midnitevoyage; Jul 15, 2012 at 12:17.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by midnitevoyage View Post
    not lins fault. blame it on knicks mismanagement. they should have offered lin a contract from the start. say they offer a 3 year contract for 5 mil per year for first 2 years and 10 mil in the third year, I'm sure lin would have signed that right away and we wouldn't be in this mess right now. all they had to do was say to lin, that is the max we can offer you without triggering the lux tax and is a very generous offer for someone who hasn't even played for a full season yet. plus the tons of big endorsement deals for lin for staying in the biggest media market. even if all lin cared about was the money, he would be an idiot not to take the offer. its a win- win offer for lin and the knicks and makes things simple, it shows that the knicks respect and value him and are serious about keeping him and saves them money because they can offer a contract that doesn't trigger the lux tax. letting him go elsewhere to look for contract just really complicates and screws things up for the knicks, with a large risk of putting the team in lux tax hell, and that is what happened. they let another team control the outcome and are paying for it. offering a contract off the bat would make it clear that the knicks respects and value lin, and are serious about him. and not doing so could be interpreted as a sign of disrespect. really, really stupid move!

    That's what lin said on the phone. Really really stupid move.

  4. #4
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    852
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by midnitevoyage View Post
    not lins fault. blame it on knicks mismanagement. they should have offered lin a contract from the start. say they offer a 3 year contract for 5 mil per year for first 2 years and 10 mil in the third year, I'm sure lin would have signed that right away and we wouldn't be in this mess right now. all they had to do was say to lin, that is the max we can offer you without triggering the lux tax and is a very generous offer for someone who hasn't even played for a full season yet. plus the tons of big endorsement deals for lin for staying in the biggest media market. even if all lin cared about was the money, he would be an idiot not to take the offer. its a win- win offer for lin and the knicks and makes things simple, it shows that the knicks respect and value him and are serious about keeping him and saves them money because they can offer a contract that doesn't trigger the lux tax. letting him go elsewhere to look for contract just really complicates and screws things up for the knicks, with a large risk of putting the team in lux tax hell, and that is what happened. they let another team control the outcome and are paying for it. offering a contract off the bat would make it clear that the knicks respects and value lin, and are serious about him. and not doing so could be interpreted as a sign of disrespect. really, really stupid move!
    Good points. You make a lot of sense here. Bottom line is that both sides definitely could've handled this whole thing a lot better -- Lin & the Knicks. And who really suffers in the end -- US, the fans, like always. We're all gonna get ****ed outta rooting for and cheering on one of the best young players to hit broadway since Pat Ewing maybe...I mean the way this guy was playing, the overall impact he had, how young he is, etc., it was like we stumbled upon a top 5 pick here outta nowhere!!!! Think about that -- for a team like us, missing draft picks all over the place now and even if we do have one coming up, it'll likely be in the 20s somewhere...This guy was like a high lottery pick just dropped right outta the sky right on top of the Garden, the way he played..Now it looks like it's all about to go up in smoke after only 25 games...The whole thing makes me sick how this played out. I mean when exactly did the ****ing communication break down between Lin and the Knicks? That's what I want to know. And why did it break down? And you're right -- why couldn't the Knicks just have made an initial offer, ANY ****ING OFFER, possibly even tipping their hand and giving him their best offer right off the bat just like you said (here's what we can offer you Jeremy w/o incurring lux. tax and explaining to him directly how breaching into the lux. tax is not good business for them or any other NBA team for that matter). Why let another team dictate our offer, our terms???? Totally agree with that. I wasn't feeling that right from the beginning...This is SAD. Very sad. NY fans deserve to see what Linsanity could've ultimately became...He was our guy, dammit!!! Jesus, I could vomit thinking about this ****!!!
    Last edited by finestrg; Jul 15, 2012 at 13:03.

  5. #5
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,811
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erivera View Post
    fields has been overrated by people for a couple years and lin is still a question mark. i also find it funny how more established veterans are taking less money to go to miami yet two young players for the knicks can't suck up some pride to come back here. jesus
    im upset by losing Lin but if felton can be what he was last time in NY then it wont be a huge loss and we are paying only 3+ mil in year as supposed to 14 mil

    plus as old as our bench is...we have a good bench
    "The Knicks are back" - Amare

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Westchester, New York
    Posts
    449
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Knicks played it right by not offering lin a offer sheet first, it's a chess game, if they don't care about the money and sign lin anyway, the felton move was GENIUS...let's see what happens. I would be much happier if we kept him as this would be the best team i have seen the knicks with since Ewing, LJ, starks and Houston and i'm not even counting Camby, Shump, Novak and JR. I'm not bitching until I see what happens. If they match, I would consider this a championship team and they can still add Grant Hill. If they don't sign Lin, they can run with Kidd, Felton and Prigioni, but I honestly don't know where we would end up due to Kidds age, Felton being out of shape (TEMPORARY) and me never personally seeing Prigioni play although I'm sure he is a great point. I would rather go big now than wonder what will happen in the end...

  7. #7
    Veteran Wargames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,262
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    I just want to reiterate that if they thought there wasn't a chance they were going to keep Lin. Why Sign Kidd when that money could of gone to Foye or Shannon Brown or somebody who could at least be traded for something else later on? Now the organization has to deal with Kidd F*cking up again now that he has returned to the tri-state area.... and we're going to the season in the same boat we we're in last year with 1 PG and a bunch of decaying players for depth when the only argument to get Kidd was he would at least improve Lin's development.

    We went from a B- offseason to a C- offseason and theres no reason why the knicks can't be *******s sign Lin and trade him next offseason along with say Kidds contract for picks or something.... The FO caught feelings and emotions are obviously running high. Now we're here trying to justify their moves logically....

  8. #8
    Superstar orangeblobman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    856
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    I think Melo should keep his mouth shut because if you ask a lot of smart hoops fans, his maximum contract is the truly ridiculous one.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orangeblobman View Post
    I think Melo should keep his mouth shut because if you ask a lot of smart hoops fans, his maximum contract is the truly ridiculous one.
    Yeah, I agree. That's what I was thinking when he said Lin's offer was a ridiculous one. Yours too Camel. Right back at ya.


    Anyways, I think if anyone, yes that means YOU also, was in Fields and Lin's shoes, you would do the same too, and sign the offer sheet. You be stupid not to. There's a possibility you might not be that great or you might not get another big contract offer like this again, so you gotta look out after Number One.

    And if you bring up loyalty and pride and for the city and fans BS, I would laugh in your face. (Off the record) and if I was the GM of the Knicks, and you DIDN'T sign that Raptors or Rockets offer sheet, I probably call you an idiot.

    Though I like Lin to be a Knicks next year, I understand it's all business.
    Last edited by onex0is0; Jul 15, 2012 at 15:13.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    232
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Of course I would, I don't think most people blame Lin completely for this. I can understand why he would sign with Houston. I can't understand why the Knicks wouldn't match the offer. Also **** Houston. I hope they never get to the playoffs for the next 3 decades.

  11. #11
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    0

    Default 2012 without Lin

    If Lin walks, tell me, how excited will you be for the upcoming season? Basically, if the Knicks do the stupid thing and not match, they'll be sucking out the entire air of enthusiasm for next season, and the Russian dude owner of the Nets will be laughing as the Knicks basically cede the excitement factor in NYC over professional basketball to the Brooklyn Nets.

  12. #12
    ★Melo Mafia★ NY17KNICKS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Hudson,FL *Orig* New York
    Posts
    2,740
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onex0is0 View Post
    Yeah, I agree. That's what I was thinking when he said Lin's offer was a ridiculous one. Yours too Camel. Right back at ya.


    Anyways, I think if anyone, yes that means YOU also, was in Fields and Lin's shoes, you would do the same too, and sign the offer sheet. You be stupid not to. There's a possibility you might not be that great or you might not get another big contract offer like this again, so you gotta look out after Number One.

    And if you bring up loyalty and pride and for the city and fans BS, I would laugh in your face. (Off the record) and if I was the GM of the Knicks, and you DIDN'T sign that Raptors or Rockets offer sheet, I probably call you an idiot.

    Though I like Lin to be a Knicks next year, I understand it's all business.
    Isnt that cute Blobman, you've got a friend in your unintelligent world you live in.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    232
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    lmao +1 rep. ^^^

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Sorry to be out of the mix, and I admit I don't come here that often or read all the threads,...

    but what's the deal with blobman? Just curious...

  15. #15
    Veteran LeFlume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    3,672
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NYNYK View Post
    Of course I would, I don't think most people blame Lin completely for this. I can understand why he would sign with Houston. I can't understand why the Knicks wouldn't match the offer. Also **** Houston. I hope they never get to the playoffs for the next 3 decades.
    They won't. A D-league PG won't get it done.. EFF Lin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •