Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default lin and fields got ridiculous money thrown at them. let em walk.

fields has been overrated by people for a couple years and lin is still a question mark. i also find it funny how more established veterans are taking less money to go to miami yet two young players for the knicks can't suck up some pride to come back here. jesus

not lins fault. blame it on knicks mismanagement. they should have offered lin a contract from the start. say they offer a 3 year contract for 5 mil per year for first 2 years and 10 mil in the third year, I'm sure lin would have signed that right away and we wouldn't be in this mess right now. all they had to do was say to lin, that is the max we can offer you without triggering the lux tax and is a very generous offer for someone who hasn't even played for a full season yet. plus the tons of big endorsement deals for lin for staying in the biggest media market. even if all lin cared about was the money, he would be an idiot not to take the offer. its a win- win offer for lin and the knicks and makes things simple, it shows that the knicks respect and value him and are serious about keeping him and saves them money because they can offer a contract that doesn't trigger the lux tax. letting him go elsewhere to look for contract just really complicates and screws things up for the knicks, with a large risk of putting the team in lux tax hell, and that is what happened. they let another team control the outcome and are paying for it. offering a contract off the bat would make it clear that the knicks respects and value lin, and are serious about him. and not doing so could be interpreted as a sign of disrespect. really, really stupid move!
    Last edited by midnitevoyage; Jul 15, 2012 at 12:17.

Quote Originally Posted by midnitevoyage View Post
    not lins fault. blame it on knicks mismanagement. they should have offered lin a contract from the start. say they offer a 3 year contract for 5 mil per year for first 2 years and 10 mil in the third year, I'm sure lin would have signed that right away and we wouldn't be in this mess right now. all they had to do was say to lin, that is the max we can offer you without triggering the lux tax and is a very generous offer for someone who hasn't even played for a full season yet. plus the tons of big endorsement deals for lin for staying in the biggest media market. even if all lin cared about was the money, he would be an idiot not to take the offer. its a win- win offer for lin and the knicks and makes things simple, it shows that the knicks respect and value him and are serious about keeping him and saves them money because they can offer a contract that doesn't trigger the lux tax. letting him go elsewhere to look for contract just really complicates and screws things up for the knicks, with a large risk of putting the team in lux tax hell, and that is what happened. they let another team control the outcome and are paying for it. offering a contract off the bat would make it clear that the knicks respects and value lin, and are serious about him. and not doing so could be interpreted as a sign of disrespect. really, really stupid move!

That's what lin said on the phone. Really really stupid move.

Superstar

Good points. You make a lot of sense here. Bottom line is that both sides definitely could've handled this whole thing a lot better -- Lin & the Knicks. And who really suffers in the end -- US, the fans, like always. We're all gonna get ****ed outta rooting for and cheering on one of the best young players to hit broadway since Pat Ewing maybe...I mean the way this guy was playing, the overall impact he had, how young he is, etc., it was like we stumbled upon a top 5 pick here outta nowhere!!!! Think about that -- for a team like us, missing draft picks all over the place now and even if we do have one coming up, it'll likely be in the 20s somewhere...This guy was like a high lottery pick just dropped right outta the sky right on top of the Garden, the way he played..Now it looks like it's all about to go up in smoke after only 25 games...The whole thing makes me sick how this played out. I mean when exactly did the ****ing communication break down between Lin and the Knicks? That's what I want to know. And why did it break down? And you're right -- why couldn't the Knicks just have made an initial offer, ANY ****ING OFFER, possibly even tipping their hand and giving him their best offer right off the bat just like you said (here's what we can offer you Jeremy w/o incurring lux. tax and explaining to him directly how breaching into the lux. tax is not good business for them or any other NBA team for that matter). Why let another team dictate our offer, our terms???? Totally agree with that. I wasn't feeling that right from the beginning...This is SAD. Very sad. NY fans deserve to see what Linsanity could've ultimately became...He was our guy, dammit!!! Jesus, I could vomit thinking about this ****!!!
    Last edited by finestrg; Jul 15, 2012 at 13:03.

so where was indiana when portland offered hibbert that money? where was new orleans with eric gordon? where was portland with nicholas batum? the knicks aren't the first team to let someone look and then match. this isn't the knicks fault in my opinion. i don't think anyone was gonna offer that money. also jeremy lin played in 35 games last year in a 66 game schedule. of those 35, we only got a real good look at him in probably 25. if we offered a contract like that to a random player not named jeremy lin a lot of you would be saying how crazy this management is. jeremy lin is a very good player, but stop acting like it's the end of the world.

Listen, any knick fan shouldn't gloat over the lost of Lin and sure as hell over the lost of landry. Carmelo is 100% right, that contract Houston offered Lin is ridiculous and is blasphemous. Probably the best thing the knicks could have done and from wht I am hearing will do it not matching neither offers. Yes Lin brings good marketing value to NYK and his story is inspiring but his on court performance is not all that and the knicks shouldn't jeopardize the little money they have on him. Plus I like the move of you guys getting Raymond again anyways.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by REALHEAT View Post
    Listen, any knick fan shouldn't gloat over the lost of Lin and sure as hell over the lost of landry. Carmelo is 100% right, that contract Houston offered Lin is ridiculous and is blasphemous. Probably the best thing the knicks could have done and from wht I am hearing will do it not matching neither offers. Yes Lin brings good marketing value to NYK and his story is inspiring but his on court performance is not all that and the knicks shouldn't jeopardize the little money they have on him. Plus I like the move of you guys getting Raymond again anyways.

Hushup we FFed up.....we sent a boy to do a MAN job.
    The Heat board is callin u

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyaman View Post
    Hushup we FFed up.....we sent a boy to do a MAN job.
    The Heat board is callin u
    how did u guys mess up?

Agree and disagree.

Agree with Melo that the contract is ridiculous. Don't know why people are getting mad over that. The guy was just speaking his mind and he's telling the truth.

However Jeremy's ceiling is unknown where we know what Felton can do.

But I'm kind of ok with getting Felton. I feel that there's a reason all of this is happening.

Veteran

Forget that, I am gloating I tried to tell these cats and they just don't listen. Don't disagree with KNICK fans on KO.COM because they will tell you the world is flat a believe it. I am a Cardinal fan as well and Lance Berkman is starting tonight at first. Already has scored a run actually. He missed exactly one month with the same injury as Lin, except Berk is 37 YEARS OLD. hmmmm.... Keep posting here please because basketball IQ here is very low.... You guys just won a chip with Mario freaking Chalmers running point....yet KO.COM is disappointed we aren't paying an unproven rookie 30 million. I have an idea, maybe we can pay STEPH 10 million to come back from CHINA to run point. Now that would be a popular idea around here lol

Im willing to accept whatever the Knicks do with Lin, at this point with Dolan i have no idea what to expect. Im not gonna read into the ESPN reports too much, Dolan is a wild card.

As for Fields, i couldnt be more happy that hes finally gone

Quote Originally Posted by jimkcchief88 View Post
    Forget that, I am gloating I tried to tell these cats and they just don't listen. Don't disagree with KNICK fans on KO.COM because they will tell you the world is flat a believe it. I am a Cardinal fan as well and Lance Berkman is starting tonight at first. Already has scored a run actually. He missed exactly one month with the same injury as Lin, except Berk is 37 YEARS OLD. hmmmm.... Keep posting here please because basketball IQ here is very low.... You guys just won a chip with Mario freaking Chalmers running point....yet KO.COM is disappointed we aren't paying an unproven rookie 30 million. I have an idea, maybe we can pay STEPH 10 million to come back from CHINA to run point. Now that would be a popular idea around here lol
    nice point about mario. but i just don't see why a lot of guys are really committing suicide bc Doland won't match the offer. look at the history, the knicks have a back for being prisioners of the moment and giving out horrible contracts. i.e Curry, Crawford. People talk about losing money bc lin isn't there, well listen to this, WHEN THE KNICKS WIN GAMES THAT WONT MATTER. What matters is if the team is winning bc ultimately winning leads to more things. As I stated before, this is probably the best thing Doland could have done for this team. Even if he is a billion dollar owner and probably doesn't mind paying the lux tax, its not worth any more financial restrainments on you guys.

I can't believe some of you were actually hip to the idea of paying a guy 30 million dollars who had not even played 30 good games in the league.

Veteran

The difference here is that the Knicks haven't matched.

If the Knicks really wanted to keep him, they would have offered him a deal first. They wanted Steve Nash, so they focused on that, and while the Nash stuff was going on, Houston made a play and got Lin's attention.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by erivera View Post
    so where was indiana when portland offered hibbert that money? where was new orleans with eric gordon? where was portland with nicholas batum? the knicks aren't the first team to let someone look and then match. this isn't the knicks fault in my opinion. i don't think anyone was gonna offer that money. also jeremy lin played in 35 games last year in a 66 game schedule. of those 35, we only got a real good look at him in probably 25. if we offered a contract like that to a random player not named jeremy lin a lot of you would be saying how crazy this management is. jeremy lin is a very good player, but stop acting like it's the end of the world.

Larry Bird quit on the Indiana Pacers, and Dum-Dum Walsh is in his place.
    Did the league finalize the sell on the New Orleans Hornets? its the interim GM that match the offer.
    Portland coach and GM quit after one season of Felton in Portland.
    must I go on ........

Quote Originally Posted by erivera View Post
    so where was indiana when portland offered hibbert that money? where was new orleans with eric gordon? where was portland with nicholas batum? the knicks aren't the first team to let someone look and then match. this isn't the knicks fault in my opinion.
    Exactly right. This is how free agency goes down in the NBA. People are acting like Lin was going to automatically sign a max offer from the Knicks before testing his value around the league. Why would he sign an offer to play for 4 years at $24M when he could make $25M over 3? The Knicks played it the only way they could possibly play it. They had no offer sheet to match until Houston signed him to this. Severely disappointing outcome here, but the Knicks are not in the wrong in the least, just as Lin had every right to explore his own market value around the league. Personally I think he's losing out on more endorsement money than he's going to make on this contract by going to Houston. I think he wanted his cake & eat it too figuring the Knicks would match any offer regardless. We'll see if he's better off in Houston, & hopefully the Knicks are better off with Felton, but right now this just stinks all the way around.
    Woodsanity!