Why so much hate for Carmelo?

Shaunyboy23

Benchwarmer
In closely following this forum, in almost EVERY thread someone bashes Carmelo, often multiple people, and I just can't wrap my mind around why. So many people are avid Lin supporters. Don't get me wrong, I love Lin and appreciate the Linsanity stretch he had in which he carried us, but if you're going to jump on a guy's bandwagon because he led us for a few weeks when Melo and Amare were hurt, why bash and blame Melo for all of our problems when he carried us in crunch time when Lin and Amare were hurt to get us into the playoffs. He bought in and played defense, which is what we all begged of him. He shared the ball, even gave more of an effort on the boards. He was the best player in the league for the last month, when we needed it most to make the playoffs. He made his teammates better and created for them, Novak can't create his own shot and we didn't have a true PG, who do you think got him open shots? Melo's triple-double against Boston was a fantastic and clutch performance. I'm just baffled as to why so many people blame and hate our team's best player, especially at a time where he's shown such commitment. Losing weight, working hard and saying all the right things. "It's my time, no more excuses" If anything we should be rallying around Carmelo at this point, because he seems to be in for quite a season and it's something we should all be excited for.

Shaunyboy23

Benchwarmer
I agree, he needs to win. But my problem is that Lin hasn't won anything either. Melo is now doing what it takes to win and it seems everyone is ignoring that. He can't do it alone. When Lin was working out people were saying "Oh good look at his work ethic" Melo is on a GRIND this offseason and still being bashed. At least give him a chance to screw up before pitting him as the root of all Knick evils

jimkcchief88

All Star
I agree, he needs to win. But my problem is that Lin hasn't won anything either. Melo is now doing what it takes to win and it seems everyone is ignoring that. He can't do it alone. When Lin was working out people were saying "Oh good look at his work ethic" Melo is on a GRIND this offseason and still being bashed. At least give him a chance to screw up before pitting him as the root of all Knick evils

Hmmmm let's see: Carmelo Anthony legit superstar by all accounts and leading USA team being praised by coach K as one of the best. But on KO.Com many members call him "fat and lazy.". Hmmmmm. Did I mention Carmelo is of African decent? Meanwhile enter Jeremy Lin: unproven rookie of Asian decent who played in 25 games, than skipped the end of the season and the "playoff", albeit due to injury, is praised for his "work ethic????". Hmmm: Can you say double-standard? I better not say anymore because with our current mod-squad I am getting banned for this post:(

clumsy

Rotation player
It's pretty obvious why people hate Carmelo. A lot of people hate watching Isolation basketball, and his lazy defense even though he has the ability to lock down people.

I think Melo is a great player that currently doesn't fit this team. He would make any defensive team with trouble scoring contenders like the Sixers. I agree that Lin fits more with Amare and Chandler so if we get rid of Lin, we might as well start finding ways to dump Amare as well.

clumsy

Rotation player
Melo's no superstar. He's the most versataile scorer in the league. You can't consider anyone a superstar who can only dominate one side of the court.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Hmmmm let's see: Carmelo Anthony legit superstar by all accounts and leading USA team being praised by coach K as one of the best. But on KO.Com many members call him "fat and lazy.". Hmmmmm. Did I mention Carmelo is of African decent? Meanwhile enter Jeremy Lin: unproven rookie of Asian decent who played in 25 games, than skipped the end of the season and the "playoff", albeit due to injury, is praised for his "work ethic????". Hmmm: Can you say double-standard? I better not say anymore because with our current mod-squad I am getting banned for this post:(

You won't get banned, Jim. It's a shame that you have to pull the card so often, but we all have our little obsessions, I suppose.

Rady will make the call on any ban. If I can speak on his behalf, I'm sure he'd prefer that you leave any racially fueled frustration/assumptions/whatever for boards where it's actually relevant in some way. Provocation on the internet really isn't very cool.

If you wouldn't mind.

Shaunyboy23

Benchwarmer
I don't agree that the problem is racial. But if you take the race card claims out then you have a very valid argument and my sentiments exactly.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star

Yes, it's totally about race. It's not because Carmelo is getting paid the max salary, it's not because Carmelo went on and on about how NY was the best place for him, it's not because Carmelo forced a trade to NY, it's not about how Carmelo made NY give up pieces to get him because he wanted his extra 5 million dollars, and it's not about the fact that Carmelo was visibly out of shape during the season. And what the Knicks fans were saying about Lin? It's not because he worked his way to the league when nobody gave him a chance, it's not because he's shown dedication to constantly improving his skillset on the court, it's not because he's a humble guy who's always looking for ways to get better, it's not because he was the first at practice and the last to leave even when he was sitting in D'Antoni's doghouse...

No, it's all about the color of their skin, right? How disgusting of you to say.

Shaunyboy23

Benchwarmer
Melo's no superstar. He's the most versataile scorer in the league. You can't consider anyone a superstar who can only dominate one side of the court.
What do you mean? He played above average-good defense ever since Woodson became the coach. Seeing that Woodson is still the coach I don't see that being a problem. So by your argument, you are basically saying that Dirk isn't a superstar? Kevin Durant isn't a superstar either I guess, because he's not known for his defense. Let's throw Deron Williams into that pile of non-superstars too, his defense isn't dominant either. My point is, that is an invalid argument. A superstar is a superstar you've got to call it like you see it. Everyone else league wide acknowledges that Melo is a superstar, why can't Knicks fans?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Yes, it's totally about race. It's not because Carmelo is getting paid the max salary, it's not because Carmelo went on and on about how NY was the best place for him, it's not because Carmelo forced a trade to NY, it's not about how Carmelo made NY give up pieces to get him because he wanted his extra 5 million dollars, and it's not about the fact that Carmelo was visibly out of shape during the season. And what the Knicks fans were saying about Lin? It's not because he worked his way to the league when nobody gave him a chance, it's not because he's shown dedication to constantly improving his skillset on the court, it's not because he's a humble guy who's always looking for ways to get better, it's not because he was the first at practice and the last to leave even when he was sitting in D'Antoni's doghouse...

No, it's all about the color of their skin, right? How disgusting of you to say.

Perfectly put, but.....

2wm3x36.gif

clumsy

Rotation player
Dirk and and Durant statistically are more efficient than Melo on offense. Dirk is nice but he's no superstar. The Mavs are also gonna fall way off this year just watch. Durant is kinda like Tmac back in the day, but that team is perfectly constructed.

Like i said depending how your team is constructed i'll take Melo. On a defense first team where he can free style on offense...he can possibly win a chip. He's not a good fit with Amare.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
My question is why people call fair criticism of Melo, "hate".

It's not hate to accurately point out that Melo is a bum.

Where do you want me to start? In no particular order:

- Spends more time interior decorating than focusing on his game during season

- So much ego that he put picture of himself above fireplace

- Worst playoffs record of any player, last 20 years (he's the only "superstar" on the list)

- Murdered Linsanity by coming back from groin injury

- Murdered Coach Mike because he was a petulant little kid who wanted his way at all costs

- Is a bum

- Forced trade which cost us 17 players, 24 draft picks and 3 billion dollars

- Eats too many donuts

- Grimmaces way too much on the court; read: "Drama Queen"

- Has mentality of little kid

- Destroys team balance by forcing everyone to play his game, The Iso Melo

- Nearly put Amar'e into mental hospital (he may still succeed at this)

- Is a bum

And there is more but this is not a comprehensive list.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Trade Carmelo he's fat, he doesn't pass the ball, he cant get our team out the first round, he doesn't play defense, he's cancer to our team and he doesn't possess the leadership skills of Lin.

Lin would never call a contract ridiculous, this just goes to show you how much of a joke Carmelo is, he's the one with the ridiculous contract.

Am i doing it right?
:lol:

Last edited:

Shaunyboy23

Benchwarmer
My question is why people call fair criticism of Melo, "hate".

It's not hate to accurately point out that Melo is a bum.

Where do you want me to start? In no particular order:

- Spends more time interior decorating than focusing on his game during season

- So much ego that he put picture of himself above fireplace

- Worst playoffs record of any player, last 20 years (he's the only "superstar" on the list)

- Murdered Linsanity by coming back from groin injury

- Murdered Coach Mike because he was a petulant little kid who wanted his way at all costs

- Is a bum

- Forced trade which cost us 17 players, 24 draft picks and 3 billion dollars

- Eats too many donuts

- Grimmaces way too much on the court; read: "Drama Queen"

- Has mentality of little kid

- Destroys team balance by forcing everyone to play his game, The Iso Melo

- Nearly put Amar'e into mental hospital (he may still succeed at this)

- Is a bum

And there is more but this is not a comprehensive list.
This post doesn't really deserve a response. But I'll humor you in the slightest way. I don't view all fair criticisms of Melo as hate, but you're not making fair criticisms. I'll be the first to criticize Melo when he deserves it, but right now he's doing everything you want your star player to be doing. Working hard, leading by example and accepting responsibility. You are critiquing a guy as a basketball player based on what's above his fireplace, which is the ultimate reach

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
After reading all these posts I may take a leave of absence from this forum till the season starts. I don't think any of you will be happy unles we have Team USA in NY.

This team has not been consistent for years. Look back on some of these games and see that when Melo iso it's more times then not when everyone is standing around waiting for him. The man had no damn choice. We now have 3 PGs to fix that problem. With these additions Melo will be the natural finisher he has always been.

Defense. We now have a coach who demands it from EVERYONE and we saw that after he took over Melo was a different machine. Play D or sit your ass down.

Now instead of asking can Melo and Amare coexist you shOuld be asking about Amare and Chandler since they both work closer. Melo can score from anywhere.

You want to bring up MDA... Do you really miss him?

Murder Linsanity?
1. They never really played together so it was like watching traing camp in a game.
2. By the time Melo got back Lin was everywhere and teams were starting to realize you gotta respect his game. It's not like this kid was superman. Give the other teams some credit.

You ask me even without Lin next year we are in a better position then we've been in in a long ass time. I loved watching Lin as well but I want the best for my team and if this kid is trying to get his big payday at the expense of my franchise that I was born into because of my father and brothers love of the team then have fun out west guarding Cp3, Nash, Parker and Westbrook.

Last edited:

Shaunyboy23

Benchwarmer
Trade Carmelo he's fat, he doesn't pass the ball, he cant get our team out the first round, he doesn't play defense, he's cancer to our team and he doesn't possess the leadership skills of Lin.

Lin would never call a contract ridiculous, this just goes to show you how much of a joke Carmelo is, he's the one with the ridiculous contract.

Am i doing it right?
:lol:

1. He wasn't exactly fat. He was at a low enough weight to dominate the last month of the season.
2. He had no problem passing the ball. Who do you think created Novak's shots?
3. Why is it Carmelo's fault that we didn't get out of the first round? Did Jeremy Lin get us out of the first round? He was such a great leader from the bench at 85% with our depleted backcourt because he was protecting HIS OWN payday (Which most guys would probably do, but if Melo did you would crucify him)
4. Played good defense under Woodson
5. Lin's leadership? See point 3

orangeblobman

Rotation player
but right now he's doing everything you want your star player to be doing. Working hard, leading by example and accepting responsibility. You are critiquing a guy as a basketball player based on what's above his fireplace, which is the ultimate reach

When he does that over a season, I'll say he's not a bum.

Instagram pictures and Team USA soundbites don't mean much.