Why so much hate for Carmelo?

Shaunyboy23

Benchwarmer
Trade Carmelo he's fat, he doesn't pass the ball, he cant get our team out the first round, he doesn't play defense, he's cancer to our team and he doesn't possess the leadership skills of Lin.

Lin would never call a contract ridiculous, this just goes to show you how much of a joke Carmelo is, he's the one with the ridiculous contract.

Am i doing it right?
:lol:
I feel like such a fool. I didn't read the last line to realize you were kidding. My bad

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
I feel like such a fool. I didn't read the last line to realize you were kidding. My bad
lol, its alright bro... we read melo hate everyday in reality it wont go away until he wins a championship.

Lebron got his ring and all the attention has died off him (not completely but is has simmered down a bit), I think we will see even more hate coming Melo's way this upcoming season.

Melo is a very talented player, his hate has sky rocketed ever since being traded to New York.

Real Fans of Melo know what he is capable of and will continue to support him

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
See this garbage is why even though I have been a member since 2006, I don't post much. Since Starbury came to town, groupthink IQ dropped on KO.COM by 100 points. I am so serious right now. When I joined this board in 06', there where INTELLIGENT conversations going on all topics, not just basketball. That included politics, religion, and RACE. Ask RADY or any of the old-school posters. I remember one poster called David Stern:"the overseer sitting on the porch of the plantation sipping on a mint julep." No one was offended because we knew what was up. This is the NEW YORK KNICKS PEOPLE. You know, SPIKE LEE'S team. Mr "Do the Right Thing" himself. Bottom-line: Describing African-Americans using terms like "fat" and "lazy" is unacceptable. These are PROFESSIONAL ATHELETES people. They have more athleticism in thier little fingers than most of us mere mortals have in our entire bodies. It's no coincidence that the african-american is being described as "fat" and "lazy" even though he won an NCAA title and is a perennial all-star, while the asian as "hardworking" based on 25 games. If Lin worked so hard he would have been availible for the HEAT series. It's a double-standard working here on KO.COM, the basketball-bizarro world. I don't hear the national experts saying this stuff. I just read this GARBAGE here.

KnickolasMGL

Benchwarmer
criticism don't equate to racial bias though,
as long as a star athlete making max money is not winning the ring ther will always be some "hate" especially from the demanding and sometimes passionate yet slightly ignorant fans.

even LeBron got so much undeserved hate because of not winning for a while, even Jordan,
it's not about race,
if leBron or Melo was white or asian, the situation would still be the same IMO

jimkcchief88

All Star
After reading all these posts I may take a leave of absence from this forum till the season starts. I don't think any of you will be happy unles we have Team USA in NY.

This team has not been consistent for years. Look back on some of these games and see that when Melo iso it's more times then not when everyone is standing around waiting for him. The man had no damn choice. We now have 3 PGs to fix that problem. With these additions Melo will be the natural finisher he has always been.

Defense. We now have a coach who demands it from EVERYONE and we saw that after he took over Melo was a different machine. Play D or sit your ass down.

Now instead of asking can Melo and Amare coexist you shOuld be asking about Amare and Chandler since they both work closer. Melo can score from anywhere.

You want to bring up MDA... Do you really miss him?

Murder Linsanity?
1. They never really played together so it was like watching traing camp in a game.
2. By the time Melo got back Lin was everywhere and teams were starting to realize you gotta respect his game. It's not like this kid was superman. Give the other teams some credit.

You ask me even without Lin next year we are in a better position then we've been in in a long ass time. I loved watching Lin as well but I want the best for my team and if this kid is trying to get his big payday at the expense of my franchise that I was born into because of my father and brothers love of the team then have fun out west guarding Cp3, Nash, Parker and Westbrook.

And I may and should be doing the same thing as in not posting till the season starts. Us old school posters from before the "Starbury Wars" should know better. No intelligent thought going on here anymore. Only ignorance and unnecessary bashing:( Rep points given as agree with your post word for word.

jimkcchief88

All Star
criticism don't equate to racial bias though,
as long as a star athlete making max money is not winning the ring ther will always be some "hate" especially from the demanding and sometimes passionate yet slightly ignorant fans.

even LeBron got so much undeserved hate because of not winning for a while, even Jordan,
it's not about race,
if leBron or Melo was white or asian, the situation would still be the same IMO

There is a difference between criticism and blind hatred. A critique is "needs to work harder on defense" or "needs to get in shape". Hate talk as seen above is "fat" and "lazy". You guys got away with it tormenting poor Eddy Curry around here that way. E-City had real health problems that plague the African-American community: Obesity and Heart disease. Not to mention the violence you face everyday growing up in a poor community like his. Chicago is front-page news right now because of our muder-rate and its the young people dying. Yet when the violence hit home for Eddy Curry while a member of the Knicks, no one around here posted any sympathy. It was more "fat" and "lazy" talk. There is a pattern of hate around here people. Check yourselves.

skisloper

Starter
There is a difference between criticism and blind hatred. A critique is "needs to work harder on defense" or "needs to get in shape". Hate talk as seen above is "fat" and "lazy". You guys got away with it tormenting poor Eddy Curry around here that way. E-City had real health problems that plague the African-American community: Obesity and Heart disease. Not to mention the violence you face everyday growing up in a poor community like his. Chicago is front-page news right now because of our muder-rate and its the young people dying. Yet when the violence hit home for Eddy Curry while a member of the Knicks, no one around here posted any sympathy. It was more "fat" and "lazy" talk. There is a pattern of hate around here people. Check yourselves.

I guess when everyone Hates Dolan thats because he is oh yeah white....everyone calls him dumb and fat....o yeah hes white...
dude your reaching.....The hate or dislike has to do with guys getting paid millions and not giving it their all................Ask any 10 year old kids who plays basketball and he will tell I tried my best....
at times Melo does not...Oh yeah Melo said that!!!!
dont the play the race card...not here

Paul1355

All Star
In closely following this forum, in almost EVERY thread someone bashes Carmelo, often multiple people, and I just can't wrap my mind around why. So many people are avid Lin supporters. Don't get me wrong, I love Lin and appreciate the Linsanity stretch he had in which he carried us, but if you're going to jump on a guy's bandwagon because he led us for a few weeks when Melo and Amare were hurt, why bash and blame Melo for all of our problems when he carried us in crunch time when Lin and Amare were hurt to get us into the playoffs. He bought in and played defense, which is what we all begged of him. He shared the ball, even gave more of an effort on the boards. He was the best player in the league for the last month, when we needed it most to make the playoffs. He made his teammates better and created for them, Novak can't create his own shot and we didn't have a true PG, who do you think got him open shots? Melo's triple-double against Boston was a fantastic and clutch performance. I'm just baffled as to why so many people blame and hate our team's best player, especially at a time where he's shown such commitment. Losing weight, working hard and saying all the right things. "It's my time, no more excuses" If anything we should be rallying around Carmelo at this point, because he seems to be in for quite a season and it's something we should all be excited for.
I believe Melo has never had a fantastic team that he fits in. Denver with Billups was a good team but honestly the only offensive threats were him and Billups. Put Melo on the Heat with Wade and Bosh or Lebron and Bosh and they still win the championship in my opinion.

This guy is a multiple all star that has started in all star games and is even a starter for team USA over Kevin Durant. He is a legit star whether some think he is over rated.

NOW...Melo has been known to say dumb things through the media...example would be calling Lin's contract ridiculous...he was most likely talking about Rockets management however as the star player you have to keep your mouth shut. SHUT! But he doesn't so people can judge him.

Melo also has a type of game that requires him to have to have the ball in his hands and do his moves and isolation plays while not being a point forward like Lebron so he is really on helping himself when he goes iso.

Now I believe if he had a good PG that can orchestrate, outside shooters, and a decent big man then sky is the limit.

It is really al about Amare and how Amare fits since Melo is simply better. Melo gets flack because people expect him to be Lebron and he just is not.

Melo is a type of Kevin Durant, he is a pure shooter and probably one of the best shooters in the NBA and most clutch.

Melo needs stability, vet players, a good PG, a good big man...the usual.

I believe people expect too much from him on defense and passing. Maybe because he shows glimpses of great passing and defense and it looks like Melo just feels like improving those aspects of his game when he FEELS like it. When he should be goodon defense and rebounding every game because the ability is there.

tonystock

Rookie
people hate melo for being a iso player

but remember when lin was on his roll? yes he was throwing assists out, but alot of the points he scored were on iso plays too.

the melo hate is out of control.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
My question is why people call fair criticism of Melo, "hate".

It's not hate to accurately point out that Melo is a bum.

Where do you want me to start? In no particular order:

- Spends more time interior decorating than focusing on his game during season

- So much ego that he put picture of himself above fireplace

- Worst playoffs record of any player, last 20 years (he's the only "superstar" on the list)

- Murdered Linsanity by coming back from groin injury

- Murdered Coach Mike because he was a petulant little kid who wanted his way at all costs

- Is a bum

- Forced trade which cost us 17 players, 24 draft picks and 3 billion dollars

- Eats too many donuts

- Grimmaces way too much on the court; read: "Drama Queen"

- Has mentality of little kid

- Destroys team balance by forcing everyone to play his game, The Iso Melo

- Nearly put Amar'e into mental hospital (he may still succeed at this)

- Is a bum

And there is more but this is not a comprehensive list.

Says the guy whose KO nickname is orange BLOBMAN.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
A lot of this is media driven, 'Melo isn't bashful, coming out and saying that another player's contract is "ridiculous." This is the kind of stuff that negates all the good you had done in Woodson's system.

I can hear the Headlines when the Knicks and Rockets meet up, these things will all be rehashed again. The media won't let you forget.

8 seasons of 1 and done, 1 year in the western finals. Look what happened to Lebron, 1 title, all the garbage was tossed out. Unless there's a drastic change in his game, without that title, the old baggage will continue to trail him.

Wargames

Starter
I worked in advertising and PR for 6 years and I don't know why MSG somehow got Melo (and JR) to an extent involved in this Lin drama.

Hahn started this BS by interviewing the Players for their reaction. This in turn was stupid as f*ck since all it's accomplish was to make the players seem jealous of Lin or holding a grudge (I don't think know if this is true but each interview is a bigger foot in the mouth than the last one).

All they had to do was release a statement saying "we appreciate what Lin brings to the Knicks but the luxury tax was too high so we are being forced to go in another direction". Shoot this is all they have to do now. They should frame this choice as being a professional one not a personal "he is being overpaid and we dont like that" choice. Cause give Amare credit he knew not to speak and Melo shouldn't has either. I know they were trying to make JR seem like a voice of reason since he took less to stay but the Knicks need to realize this whole thing is Toxic and any player attached will come out looking bad when it's over.

KnickolasMGL

Benchwarmer

if a dude gets overinflated contract costing the team sh1t tons of money plus limiting the flexibility of the team's spending, u will get criticized no matter what his background is,

i understand how a lot of people go thru sh1t and deserve all our sympathies but if ur paid to perform, then u expect criticism and even ridicule if u dont perform.

Kiyaman

Legend
Are Grunwald & Allan Houston incompetent as managers?
if not, then Melo had something to do with it

Do anyone see Kidd & Lin running an ISO-Melo play two consecutive times on offense? I dont see them running one ISO Melo play.

I would rather the Knicks had Wilson Chandler & Novak at the SF rather than a no-defense ISO-Melo offense.

CA7

Scoring Champ
ISO BALL is the best thing since sliced bread

On a serious note Melo doesn't play ISO ball he operates through the mid post where he needs off the ball movement to find cutters, flashers and guys fading for 3's but when you stand there he is forced to operate himself

Offenses don't get stagnant when the guy with the ball stops it if the others players just watch then what

Watch the tripled double game was that ISO ball, Idk but it was the best single game performance by any Knick last season

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
ISO BALL is the best thing since sliced bread

On a serious note Melo doesn't play ISO ball he operates through the mid post where he needs off the ball movement to find cutters, flashers and guys fading for 3's but when you stand there he is forced to operate himself

Offenses don't get stagnant when the guy with the ball stops it if the others players just watch then what

Watch the tripled double game was that ISO ball, Idk but it was the best single game performance by any Knick last season

Yea that's the problem when #1 gets the ball, everyone stops and watches. Lebron has that problem, Dirk same thing. It lets the defense to catch up after all the chasing of the ball. Defense can setup for a double, etc. Now one of the things Kidd and Dirk worked on was moving initiation points for Dirk. Dirk would always get it on the mid block, giving the defense an easy double/triple. But kidd had Dirk getting the ball in triple stance on the elbows facing up or butt back and a lot of times all the way out at the top of the key. I think Kidd will bring a lot of that with him to Melo, it'll get to the point where he'll encourage movement to get easy points. I noticed quite a few times where Lebron would come from weakside, to the low block and the pass would be there for a quick deuce. A lot of that would easily be Melo. Melo's offensive game is so vast, he'll turnaround on a smaller defender or drive right by a big one.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Yet when the violence hit home for Eddy Curry while a member of the Knicks, no one around here posted any sympathy. It was more "fat" and "lazy" talk. There is a pattern of hate around here people. Check yourselves.

That's not entirely true. There were sympathetic posts made.

All this whining about racism isn't well founded either, Jim. There were unquestionably those of the same descent as yourself that were unimpressed with Melo at stages throughout the season. They, presumably, get a free pass in your estimation. Whoever it may be that complained about Melo is in no way correlated to racism. If it is, if it is outright and clearly racist, then someone will sort it out. You can play watch dog, if you so please.

Also, if you're still bitter about being insulted during the Starbury wars, it's not necessary to bring down the site. There are a lot of major contributors here, the majority of whom are very intellectual, in depth and thought provoking.

So can the racism. It defiles the site.

Also, if you could find it in yourself to stop saying that the site's members are low IQ fake fans, that would be super duper.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Yea that's the problem when #1 gets the ball, everyone stops and watches. Lebron has that problem, Dirk same thing. It lets the defense to catch up after all the chasing of the ball. Defense can setup for a double, etc. Now one of the things Kidd and Dirk worked on was moving initiation points for Dirk. Dirk would always get it on the mid block, giving the defense an easy double/triple. But kidd had Dirk getting the ball in triple stance on the elbows facing up or butt back and a lot of times all the way out at the top of the key. I think Kidd will bring a lot of that with him to Melo, it'll get to the point where he'll encourage movement to get easy points. I noticed quite a few times where Lebron would come from weakside, to the low block and the pass would be there for a quick deuce. A lot of that would easily be Melo. Melo's offensive game is so vast, he'll turnaround on a smaller defender or drive right by a big one.

I agree, he should come off cross screens and down screens to operate more, or run some pick n roll so he can get his man trailing and make a move with anticipation rather than having to work for it

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I agree, he should come off cross screens and down screens to operate more, or run some pick n roll so he can get his man trailing and make a move with anticipation rather than having to work for it

Absolutely. He too often over works for position. I like that he establishes a sense of dominance by doing so, but some added fluidity to his game adds to our offense, IMO.

He certainly seems more comfortable as a shooter when pressured, though. Certainly more so than when he's uncontested to a degree. He's a great shooter, and I just think he could add a more savvy, nimble side to his offense. Think Rip Hamilton at 6'8". Phew.

I think that in doing so, he'll also amp up that underrated, highly capable passing game of his, and that will be a huge boon for Stoudemire and Chandler.

Move, move, move, diversify, add versatility, add wins to the column.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Crazy⑧s;243011 said:
Absolutely. He too often over works for position. I like that he establishes a sense of dominance by doing so, but some added fluidity to his game adds to our offense, IMO.

He certainly seems more comfortable as a shooter when pressured, though. Certainly more so than when he's uncontested to a degree. He's a great shooter, and I just think he could add a more savvy, nimble side to his offense. Think Rip Hamilton at 6'8". Phew.

I think that in doing so, he'll also amp up that underrated, highly capable passing game of his, and that will be a huge boon for Stoudemire and Chandler.

Move, move, move, diversify, add versatility, add wins to the column.

also in Denver he ran some of those spin to alley oop plays which got him easy buckets and made defenders play off of him. Melo can score in every facet but you gotta set up the next move by doing something else the previous time

cross screen to post up, easy 2, maybe and 1

down screen easy mid range jumper

down screen, over play back door alley easy 2

pick n pop

post up

pick n roll

spot up while STAT works his pick n roll game

we have a lot of offensive potential, we gotta just put it together