Why so much hate for Carmelo?

:afro:
See this garbage is why even though I have be:afro::afro::afro:
en a member since 2006, I don't post much. Since Starbury came to town, groupthink IQ dropped on KO.COM by 100 points. I am so serious right now. When I joined this board in 06', there where INTELLIGENT conversations going on all topics, not just basketball. That included politics, religion, and RACE. Ask RADY or any of the old-school posters. I remember one poster called David Stern:"the overseer sitting on the porch of the plantation sipping on a mint julep." No one was offended because we knew what was up. This is the NEW YORK KNICKS PEOPLE. You know, SPIKE LEE'S team. Mr "Do the Right Thing" himself. Bottom-line: Describing African-Americans using terms like "fat" and "lazy" is unacceptable. These are PROFESSIONAL ATHELETES people. They have more athleticism in thier little fingers than most of us mere mortals have in our entire bodies. It's no coincidence that the african-american is being described as "fat" and "lazy" even though he won an NCAA title and is a perennial all-star, while the asian as "hardworking" based on 25 games. If Lin worked so hard he would have been availible for the HEAT series. It's a double-standard working here on KO.COM, the basketball-bizarro world. I don't hear the national experts saying this stuff. :afro: I just read this GARBAGE here.
you're an idiot
:afro:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
we have a lot of offensive potential, we gotta just put it together

And the most satisfying part of this statement is that we now have the coach and personnel to back that up defensively. When things go sour offensively, the house that Glenny G built can maintain opponent's offense.

Loving it.

Will definitely miss Jefferies' presence on that end.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
We all know his offense, I just can't wait to see his def next year, he really flourished under Woodson.

WeReady

Benchwarmer
SO here is melo's recent comments after USA beat Brazil Tonight

Rod Boone ‏@rodboone
More Melo on ‪#Lin‬: "I hope we get it done, man. I would love to see him back, honestly. I would definitely love to see him back."

19m Rod Boone ‏@rodboone
Was Melo surprised by the reaction to his comments? "I always get backlash. It's nothing new. It is what it is."

21m Rod Boone ‏@rodboone
Melo: "It's just a matter of them figuring it out at this point."

21m Rod Boone ‏@rodboone
More Melo on ‪#Lin‬: "With Jeremy, I know he definitely wants to be back in New York & Dolan definitely wants him back."

24m Rod Boone ‏@rodboone
Why do people think Melo doesn't like Lin? "I don’t know. I can't worry about that. Ask Lin he’ll tell you what a good relationship we have"

27m Rod Boone ‏@rodboone
Melo: "It was ridiculous for them to do what they did, as far as throwing that out there and making it tougher on us to sign him back."

28m Rod Boone ‏@rodboone
Melo was asked after tonight's game about his characterization of Lin's contract as being "ridiculous." Here's his answer in next tweet.

Either he is backtracking on earlier statements or he is genuine but at this point i don't know what's going to happen but like chris rock twat why are grown men worrying about other men's money ?

STAT1

Starter
Melo is the Knicks' version of A-Rod. Many Knicks fans never liked him & his style of play, & when he orchestrated his trade to come to NY & cost the Knicks some promising assets, many Knick fans were already resentful. A-Rod went through a number of years of being hated by a good portion of Yankees fans until he finally broke out & beasted to help the Yankees to a championship in 2009 with that amazing season & postseason he had. Melo will have to do the same if he ever wants to win over all of his Knicks fan detractors. I personally wish people would appreciate what Melo brings to the table more, but some fans just don't like his style of iso play, which is understandable. Me personally, I just want to see winning basketball. The way this team ended last season with Melo & Lin playing well together & the Knicks finishing with that 18-6 stretch was really promising & makes me have faith that Melo's time in NY is about to hit its stride next season.

BillyHoyle

Benchwarmer
Melo is the Knicks' version of A-Rod. Many Knicks fans never liked him & his style of play, & when he orchestrated his trade to come to NY & cost the Knicks some promising assets, many Knick fans were already resentful. A-Rod went through a number of years of being hated by a good portion of Yankees fans until he finally broke out & beasted to help the Yankees to a championship in 2009 with that amazing season & postseason he had. Melo will have to do the same if he ever wants to win over all of his Knicks fan detractors. I personally wish people would appreciate what Melo brings to the table more, but some fans just don't like his style of iso play, which is understandable. Me personally, I just want to see winning basketball. The way this team ended last season with Melo & Lin playing well together & the Knicks finishing with that 18-6 stretch was really promising & makes me have faith that Melo's time in NY is about to hit its stride next season.

I was just about to type out a long post going into the whole Arod comparison, but you beat me to it. The bottom line is that both Arod and Melo are seen by New Yorkers as outside "hired guns" who must deliver a championship. For Arod, the cloud hanging over his head was his ridiculous contract, which at the time, dwarfed every other player in baseball. I really don't think the fan hatred of Melo was that bad this year or last until the losing streak after Linsanity...even then, most of the hate by the fans was direct at D'antoni...

I will say this though...If the Knicks don't match Houston's offer, what we will see is something far worse than what Arod had to go through. If the Knicks don't come firing out of the gate as a top team and instaed hover around .500 again, it will be absolute chaos.

STAT1

Starter
I will say this though...If the Knicks don't match Houston's offer, what we will see is something far worse than what Arod had to go through. If the Knicks don't come firing out of the gate as a top team and instaed hover around .500 again, it will be absolute chaos.

Yup, that's exactly right. The pressure on Melo to bring a championship to NY will be greater than ever. His detractors will find some way to blame Lin's leaving on Melo's iso style of play, & yet they will fail to consider the fact that Lin was at his best when he was playing iso style basketball himself during the peak of his Linsanity run. Yes, he was also a playmaker for guys like Tyson, Novak & Landry, but for the most part he was getting his points off isolation & in transition, & he never seemed to form a chemistry playing with STAT either, at least not to the extent that Ray Felton did during his tenure. Yet Melo is bashed for not being able to play with STAT, whereas Lin is not.

Here is an interesting article on ESPN.com outlining Jeremy Lin's style of play last season. We all loved the excitement he brought to the Garden, & yet the same people that celebrate his iso style play will bash Melo for the same. It's a double standard that I have never been able to figure out:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/47791/felton-over-lin-are-the-knicks-lin-sane

ISOLATION

Isolation Plays Last Season

Felton Lin Pts per play 0.74 1.02 PPP rank* 68th 3rd FG pct 33.8 43.1 TO pct 15.5 6.5 * Of 91 players with at least 75 plays

Isolation plays are where Lin excels. He scored the third most points per play of the 91 players with at least 75 isolation plays last season, trailing only Chris Paul and James Harden. Felton ranked 68th.

Felton turned the ball over on isolation plays more than twice as often as Lin, who committed just six turnovers on his 93 isolation plays. And only Andrea Bargnani, Chris Bosh and Harden got to the free throw line more often than Lin on isolation plays.

PASSING

Felton and Lin both passed the ball on most of their pick-and-roll plays. And both players? teammates had nearly the same field goal percentage and points per play on those passes. Felton passed it to the roll men more often, while Lin hit the cutters and spot-up shooters more often.

Felton passed the ball more often on isolation plays than Lin, who was better at passing to cutters, resulting in a higher field goal percentage and more points per play by his teammates on those passes. But with Lin?s high efficiency on isolation plays, it may not be such a bad thing that he passes the ball on only 17 percent of his isolation plays.

LIN BETTER OFF WITH KNICKS

Why is Lin better off with the Knicks than the Rockets?

Most Isolation Plays Last Season

Pct of offense Knicks 1,183 16.8* Kings 1,107 15.2 Nets 984 14.3 Clippers 922 13.5 Thunder 914 13.0 * Highest in NBA
Rockets: 629 isolation plays (ranked 22nd)

Isolation plays are Lin?s bread and butter. He?s among the best in the league. No team had more isolation plays last season than the Knicks. Isolation plays accounted for 17 percent of the Knicks' offense, the highest such percentage in the league.

The Rockets, meanwhile, ranked 22nd in isolation plays, which accounted for just 9 percent of their offense. The Knicks had nearly twice as many isolation plays as the Rockets.

BillyHoyle

Benchwarmer

I know in some of his biggest games and moments (LA, NJ, Toronto) Lin took the game over and wasn't a facilitating point guard. Still, when he truly was at his best/showing his potential was when he distributed and was getting the entire team involved (i could go through the league pass and find some examples if necessary). He had the threat of taking his man 1 on 1, but would see a potential mismatch in a streaking Chandler/Fields/Shump or an open shot for Novak and make the right pass. It was a quality of team basketball that we haven't seen for years. The problem is that because of the injuries, the Knicks really never had time to gel...Seeing the Knicks not have the same success with Melo reinserted into the lineup caused the fan reaction, and while unfair given the quality of player that Melo is, It's just the way people who pay 100-200 dollars for a ticket /$10 per beer react. What is really bothering me the most about this situation is that if we let him go, we will never know how good this team could have been when on the same page. We never even gave it a chance.

STAT1

Starter
I know in some of his biggest games and moments (LA, NJ, Toronto) Lin took the game over and wasn't a facilitating point guard. Still, when he truly was at his best/showing his potential was when he distributed and was getting the entire team involved (i could go through the league pass and find some examples if necessary). He had the threat of taking his man 1 on 1, but would see a potential mismatch in a streaking Chandler/Fields/Shump or an open shot for Novak and make the right pass. It was a quality of team basketball that we haven't seen for years. The problem is that because of the injuries, the Knicks really never had time to gel...Seeing the Knicks not have the same success with Melo reinserted into the lineup caused the fan reaction, and while unfair given the quality of player that Melo is, It's just the way people who pay 100-200 dollars for a ticket /$10 per beer react. What is really bothering me the most about this situation is that if we let him go, we will never know how good this team could have been when on the same page. We never even gave it a chance.

I thought the style of play when the Knicks went 18-6 to finish the season was where the realistic expectations would have been for this upcoming season if we could have kept him here (we still have time technically to match, probably unrealistic though). The Knicks were less about Linsanity & more about half court style fundamental basketball. It wasn't all Melo-iso either. There was a good balance of post ups down low with Melo, & utilizing Lin & Tyson in the PnR with kickouts to Novak & some transition baskets mixed in with Landry running the wing. Ironically it was when STAT came back to the roster that the Knicks didn't play as well if I remember correctly, & yet there was no backlash against STAT in the same manner that Melo got when the team struggled when he returned after the initial Linsanity run. I guess the more direct correllation between Melo's return & the team's sudden struggling was much more apparent at that point, but once again you can see the double standard that Knicks fans have towards Melo.

Wargames

Starter
A lot of the resentment towards Melo is based on the Melo deal. It was a let down since so many people could see we were in a position to come away with at least fair parity and instead we gutted the team and got swept in the playoffs. Those were the first results of Melo being a Knick. Amare isn't fool proof but At least there was a half of season of MVP caliber production from Amare.

LINvincible

Benchwarmer
Crazy⑧s;243087 said:
What an impeccably small minded thing to say.

I know....but it's the truth. The dude needs to win a playoff series first and stop with constantly stirring the pot.

A new winning attitude and hunger can do good things for you. He lost some weight, he's staying competitive by playing ball thru the summer, and has a coach that will actually push him into reaching his potential. I'm sure Lebron, Kobe, Wade and others will be a motivator if there wasn't any to begin with. Melo is not going to sit back relaxed while most of his BBall friends floss their bling while telling their stories on how the experience felt. I think Melo will play hungry this year.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
:fazer:
Any news and performance updates in the Olympics, Preseason, NBA season and Playoffs goes here. Share and discuss Carmelo all in one spot. (Made to avoid multiple redundant Carmelo threads.

Carmelo struggled against Brazil yesterday. Played against Great Britain this week again. Lets see how he does.

Lets see where everyone stands on Carmelo.

Do you believe Knicks can build around Carmelo Anthony?

Do you believe Carmelo will lead the Knicks out of the first round?

Can Carmelo play with Amare?

Here is where i stand.
I think this thread is opened by another Melo hater and is disigned to invite Melo haters for discussion and **** on him in yet another useless thread :alert:

LINvincible

Benchwarmer
A new winning attitude and hunger can do good things for you. He lost some weight, he's staying competitive by playing ball thru the summer, and has a coach that will actually push him into reaching his potential. I'm sure Lebron, Kobe, Wade and others will be a motivator if there wasn't any to begin with. Melo is not going to sit back relaxed while most of his BBall friends floss their bling while telling their stories on how the experience felt. I think Melo will play hungry this year.

Did you just mention Melo with Hungry in the same sentence.

Attachments

• so8vgi.jpg
    so8vgi.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 7

Kiyaman

Legend
Be lucky Im not the GM .... Melo would be traded while playing on the USA Team.

Lin/Fields/Novak were suppose to be resigned .. JR givin walkin papers if no team want a sign n trade for his contract.

:smokin:Melo one n half season as a Knicks shouldve been traded :smokin: while on the USA Team

Kiyaman

Legend

yeah yeah yeah .... let me know when ISO-Melo learns how to co-exist with his teammates on both sides of the court. ISO-Melo is another ISO-Marbury in every sense .. how many Knicks teammates did Marbury have Isiah get rid of???