Why so much hate for Carmelo?

CA7

Scoring Champ
That's the biggest thing I'm hoping for this year. Maybe for once a move the Knicks make turns out to be great for us. Maybe letting Lin go & bringing Felton back will pay dividends? That's what I'm hoping for the most. HOPING, which is a big hope at that. I'll be happy if we can get STAT playing to 80% of what he was when he first got here. Last year he was a complete disappointment for me.

I think both can be 25 and 10 guys with the right system, I pray Woodson is working on some sets to run to maximize our Stars like how Miami and OKC play through their stars and the role players just find their spots

STAT1

Starter
I think both can be 25 and 10 guys with the right system, I pray Woodson is working on some sets to run to maximize our Stars like how Miami and OKC play through their stars and the role players just find their spots

25 pts I can see but not 10 rebounds for both. I don't think Melo has ever come close in his entire career & STAT has never quite gotten in double digits either.

munco

Benchwarmer
Anyone who thinks we're a lottery team without lin. Wow.

The thing is we were a lottery team before Linsanity happened.
With that said the east should be weaker next year especially with Orlando losing Howard at some point. I think we definitely need to improve our backcourt though. Right now our starting backcourt guards both shot 40% last year and J Kidd shot 35%.

CA7

Scoring Champ
25 pts I can see but not 10 rebounds for both. I don't think Melo has ever come close in his entire career & STAT has never quite gotten in double digits either.

remember both STAT and Melo were never on top defensive units

more stops means more rebounds when I say 25 and 10 thats max

Melo will likely score more this year 28-29 ppg and STAT should be at 24 and both should always be near 7-12 rebounds a game

Anything less is unacceptable, not only do I want wins but I want STAT and Melo doing work in those games, games where both score 40, Melo with a 50 pt game, STAT with a 20/20 game, Melo triple-doubles and just epic performances

I'm hyped for this upcoming season as long as we dont discuss Lin all year

CA7

Scoring Champ
remember when Melo had 1 point and Breen and Clyde were happy and said this how he should play LMAO against the Bobcats smh

Paul1355

All Star
remember when Melo had 1 point and Breen and Clyde were happy and said this how he should play LMAO against the Bobcats smh

There was a point in the season where we were praying for melo stop shooting because he was in such a slump...but after he couldnt miss...kind of crazy how streaky melo was...probly just the elbow

CA7

Scoring Champ
There was a point in the season where we were praying for melo stop shooting because he was in such a slump...but after he couldnt miss...kind of crazy how streaky melo was...probly just the elbow

the elbow and the knee he lacked lift and fluidity on his jump shot

hopefully he continues to slim to push less pressure on his legs and he can jump higher and quicker to help him out

STAT1

Starter
remember both STAT and Melo were never on top defensive units

more stops means more rebounds when I say 25 and 10 thats max

Melo will likely score more this year 28-29 ppg and STAT should be at 24 and both should always be near 7-12 rebounds a game

Anything less is unacceptable, not only do I want wins but I want STAT and Melo doing work in those games, games where both score 40, Melo with a 50 pt game, STAT with a 20/20 game, Melo triple-doubles and just epic performances

I'm hyped for this upcoming season as long as we dont discuss Lin all year

I'll settle for 24 / 7 out of Melo & 17 / 10 out of STAT, as long as their team dynamic & chemistry is better than last year when they played together. I think STAT's best days are behind him, he's on the decline. Hopefully Felton can get him some easier baskets in the PnR like he was doing when they played together last time. I think STAT just needs to accept the fact that he's no longer the man on this team offensively & just resign himself to playing more defense & focus on rebounding. If he does that it will go a long way in creating a better team dynamic this season.

Regarding Lin, I think if we had matched that crazy contract then there would definitely have been some jealousy issues in the lockerroom, & you never want that. These guys are human afterall & no one wants to be paid 10 times less than the other guy even though you're putting in the same hours in practice & in games. Regardless if that's justified or not since Lin brings fans to the games & others may not, the fact remains guys would have had problems with him simply because of how much money he was going to make, & that is never good to have if you're trying to build team chemistry.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Regarding Lin, I think if we had matched that crazy contract then there would definitely have been some jealousy issues in the lockerroom, & you never want that. These guys are human afterall & no one wants to be paid 10 times less than the other guy even though you're putting in the same hours in practice & in games. Regardless if that's justified or not since Lin brings fans to the games & others may not, the fact remains guys would have had problems with him simply because of how much money he was going to make, & that is never good to have if you're trying to build team chemistry.

You don't see how, if the scenario you describe held true, the problem would be with the jealous players and not Jeremy Lin?

It's not Jeremy Lin's fault he is worth 25$million on the market, but it is the fault of the jealous players for reacting like petulant boys.

Going by Carmelo's statements about Houston's Lin offer, I would say he has a major character flaw that doesn't allow him to be happy for another Man, and that this jealous streak in Carmelo is just one visible chink in the armor in a personality of a perennial loser.

STAT1

Starter
You don't see how, if the scenario you describe held true, the problem would be with the jealous players and not Jeremy Lin?

It's not Jeremy Lin's fault he is worth 25$million on the market, but it is the fault of the jealous players for reacting like petulant boys.

I didn't say it would have been Lin's fault, I'm telling it like it is. Regardless if it's justified or not, there would have been jealousy & that's never good when you're trying to build team chemistry. & This is not just from Melo, it would have been from other guys on the team like STAT, JR & maybe others. The only guys I can imagine who wouldn't have been bothered by it would be guys like Tyson Chandler & Steve Novak (other than the end of the bench scrubs).

orangeblobman

Rotation player
I didn't say it would have been Lin's fault, I'm telling it like it is. Regardless if it's justified or not, there would have been jealousy & that's never good when you're trying to build team chemistry. & This is not just from Melo, it would have been from other guys on the team like STAT, JR & maybe others. The only guys I can imagine who wouldn't have been bothered by it would be guys like Tyson Chandler & Steve Novak (other than the end of the bench scrubs).

Eh..I don't think it would have come from Amar'e!

It's the usual suspects, Melo and JR, they are the two guys that dominate the culture of the team now.

But that just highlights the problem with the roster, the fact that we are even talking about something like this tells me that we are not in a good situation. I mean, when jealousy is a real concern, there's something wrong.

STAT1

Starter
Eh..I don't think it would have come from Amar'e!

It's the usual suspects, Melo and JR, they are the two guys that dominate the culture of the team now.

But that just highlights the problem with the roster, the fact that we are even talking about something like this tells me that we are not in a good situation. I mean, when jealousy is a real concern, there's something wrong.

I think STAT was plenty jealous of Melo taking over last season, not sure why you would think he'd be above any of the pettiness.

The fact remains there's always going to be jealousy inside a lockerroom. I think bringing in Jason Kidd was a huge move for the Knicks to provide some good veteran leadership (well on the basketball court cuz he's obviously got issues of his own to deal with outside of the lockerroom), because Tyson Chandler could not do it all on his own. STAT & Melo both need to grow up & learn how to be teammates & be able to put their egos aside for the good of the team. This is what Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce & Ray Allen did in Boston & it's what Lebron, Wade & Bosh did in Miami. Both teams won a championship. The Knicks have not yet figured this out.

Lin's contract would have added just another issue for them to squabble about internally. It could be better for us that he left, as difficult a pill as it is to swallow right now. Eventually I just get the feeling that the constant media attention being focused solely on Lin whenever the Knicks won would have become an even bigger issue down the road.

Last edited:

KnickolasMGL

Benchwarmer
Melo is the Knicks' version of A-Rod. Many Knicks fans never liked him & his style of play, & when he orchestrated his trade to come to NY & cost the Knicks some promising assets, many Knick fans were already resentful. A-Rod went through a number of years of being hated by a good portion of Yankees fans until he finally broke out & beasted to help the Yankees to a championship in 2009 with that amazing season & postseason he had. Melo will have to do the same if he ever wants to win over all of his Knicks fan detractors. I personally wish people would appreciate what Melo brings to the table more, but some fans just don't like his style of iso play, which is understandable. Me personally, I just want to see winning basketball. The way this team ended last season with Melo & Lin playing well together & the Knicks finishing with that 18-6 stretch was really promising & makes me have faith that Melo's time in NY is about to hit its stride next season.

u summed it up pretty well,

it's all about styles and preferences among fans of different styles and eras etc.

other dudes need to stop with the race crap,
criticizing an asian player like Lin is not being racist if it's objective,
and the same thing goes for criticizing a black player like Melo,
come on NYK fans, yous are smarter than that

STAT1

Starter
u summed it up pretty well,

it's all about styles and preferences among fans of different styles and eras etc.

other dudes need to stop with the race crap,
criticizing an asian player like Lin is not being racist if it's objective,
and the same thing goes for criticizing a black player like Melo,
come on NYK fans, yous are smarter than that

Don't want to turn this into a race discussion, but there are a good # of Knicks fans out there that are throwing around the "c" word at Lin because they're angry at him that he chose to sign that offer sheet. That kinda stuff really makes me question the intelligence of people nowadays. No matter what you feel about Lin's decision, it never justifies throwing racial epithets at a guy for making a business decision for himself & his family. People need to get a life & stop being so angry.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Don't want to turn this into a race discussion, but there are a good # of Knicks fans out there that are throwing around the "c" word at Lin because they're angry at him that he chose to sign that offer sheet. That kinda stuff really makes me question the intelligence of people nowadays. No matter what you feel about Lin's decision, it never justifies throwing racial epithets at a guy for making a business decision for himself & his family. People need to get a life & stop being so angry.

Absolutely. It's f'ing preposterous.

What happened happened. Let everyone move on and have some contentment. Can't change the call after the whistle's been blown.

RealNYK78

Rookie
WOW before 2010..We beg for Star..now people say Melo..

Isn't a Supserstar...LOL He was when he scored 50 pts on Knicks in Denver..but we crying for Lin that wasn't gonna put same results in NON MIke Pringles Dantio system... Melo All-Star...Most fear Scorer in the league..Here a Hint..Most GIfted Scorers Don't LOCK DOWN on Defense that why you Build around his scoring...MJ had Pippen...Magic had Cooper.. Isiah had DUmars.... that the recipe...Non of those team built around LImited Guard ...Melo will be fine the Key is Stat to be healthy n get on DAMN BOX and BOX Out...

jimkcchief88

All Star
Isn't a Supserstar...LOL He was when he scored 50 pts on Knicks in Denver..but we crying for Lin that wasn't gonna put same results in NON MIke Pringles Dantio system... Melo All-Star...Most fear Scorer in the league..Here a Hint..Most GIfted Scorers Don't LOCK DOWN on Defense that why you Build around his scoring...MJ had Pippen...Magic had Cooper.. Isiah had DUmars.... that the recipe...Non of those team built around LImited Guard ...Melo will be fine the Key is Stat to be healthy n get on DAMN BOX and BOX Out...

Welcome newbie!!!:) Nice post keep it up we need BASKETBALL FANS with IQ on this board desparately, not just bandwagon naysayers. Here's to your first rep point!!! Keep posting:)