2012-13 Tyson Chandler Player Performance and News thread

Was it f'd up that Tyson got DPOY and still got snubbed for AD 1st team?

• It was f'd.

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • It was not f'd.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • It was close enough between him and D12. Whatever.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I can smell virgins from great distances.

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

Kiyaman

Legend
Kurt Thomas :(

:2cents:
u cant sleep on Kurt Thomas .... who happen to be the Knicks best post-defender,
and pick n roll artest in the millenium (1999 to 2005).
I recall several seasons where Kurt Thomas were the Knicks only ledgit
frontcourt bigman in a 48 min lineup do to injuries to Camby or Mcdyess.
Kurt Thomas presence on the Bucks, and then the Bulls had those teams
frontcourt bigmen playing above average .. great coaching potential.

:smokin::2cents:
I never understood the Chicago Bulls GM Paxon & coach Skiles never hiring
a bigman-coach for rookie Tyson Chandler & rookie Eddie Curry for 4 straight seasons.
The Bulls organization depended on one player "Dale Davis" to teach two high school kids
how to play NBA ball.

KingCharles34

All Star
Crazy⑧s;248589 said:
:lol: KT's still got game. I second that notion.

Loving Chandler's positivity. IMO, the Billups amnesty was worth it to get a leader the likes of The Man Handler. If he backs Sheed as an addition, there's no reason any of us could possibly have to doubt him.

chandler.jpeg

Legend.

Thank you, I sorta feel like Kurt Thomas' hoe. I've been shouting him out in every thread, good to see another KT supporter. Green Rep

:2cents:
u cant sleep on Kurt Thomas .... who happen to be the Knicks best post-defender,
and pick n roll artest in the millenium (1999 to 2005).
I recall several seasons where Kurt Thomas were the Knicks only ledgit
frontcourt bigman in a 48 min lineup do to injuries to Camby or Mcdyess.
Kurt Thomas presence on the Bucks, and then the Bulls had those teams
frontcourt bigmen playing above average .. great coaching potential.

:smokin::2cents:
I never understood the Chicago Bulls GM Paxon & coach Skiles never hiring
a bigman-coach for rookie Tyson Chandler & rookie Eddie Curry for 4 straight seasons.
The Bulls organization depended on one player "Dale Davis" to teach two high school kids
how to play NBA ball.

Excellent post Kiya. The Knicks lost their respect when they traded Kurt Thomas for QRich and Nate Robinson. Thomas was the glue for this team on offense and defense. The picks he would set (sometimes away from the ball) and his abiliity to stick the mid range jumpshot...Kurt was basically replaced by Eddy Curry, Channing Frye, Antonio Davis, and David Lee. Kurt is just a smarter player then all of them. Because he was never that athletic hes still roughly the same player he was when we traded him. His game seems more effective now then it was 10 years ago and I have seen him within the past 2 years single handedly come off the bench and change the tempo of a game.

Green Rep

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
How many points do you think Chandler will average this season?

With three point guards already clicking with him, guess how much.

Hopefully he'll do more than dunks, but if this is gonna be the norm, that's all he might need to do along with hitting free throws efficiently.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
I really want to say 13ppg, but I think it will be the same as last year.

For all the increase we got in point guard depth, we also have to great and good back up centers in Camby and Thomas. This will mean less playing time for Chandler as our stars minutes will be managed this year.

Amare will probably get a slightly bigger role in the offense too.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
As mentioned by RJ, with these PGs the sync is already there. He's played with Kidd and Felton in Dallas and Charlotte respectively, and after 2 games alongside Pablo, it's clear that the league's oldest rookie in history is as capable a P&R passer as Chandler is a pick setter.

Given that, I believe he'll have some games with 20+ totals like last year, and some games with sub 10 point outings.

Bring STAT in to the P&R free-for-all this team'll be feeding off and that brings Tyson's PPG down from its potential, leaving me thinking he will average 11.5-13PPG.

For the sake of a definitive prediction, I'll go with 12.6.

As you'll see in my soon to be released Knicks mix, some of the Knicks most beautiful plays last season were the connection of Melo passing to Tyson on the break. We see more of that, and I'll go so far as to say he's capable of a 16PPG season.

Last edited:

p0nder

Starter
I'm with NicksKnicks.

10 PPG. maybe even less. With STAT and felton getting more buckets there simply won't be enough touches to go to Chandler. I am hoping he will be able to top his record FG% however.

metrocard

Legend
10-11, Amare is going to be different this year...shows a lot of ambition to changing what he was last year to what he was when he first started as a Knick. I expect more shot attempts from Amare, so Chandler won't be featured as much...even though he shoots a crazy high FG% and it would be nice to get Tyson more lobs.

Forrest17

Rotation player
Tyson only worries about scoring when he fells he has too.

He can score 20 points a game. But when you have to worry about defense and rebounding as much as he does then some games where our offense is clicking he might only get 5 which hurts his average.

So I really don't think it matters what his average will be. Only that he produces points when we need him to.

KingCharles34

All Star
10-11, Amare is going to be different this year...shows a lot of ambition to changing what he was last year to what he was when he first started as a Knick. I expect more shot attempts from Amare, so Chandler won't be featured as much...even though he shoots a crazy high FG% and it would be nice to get Tyson more lobs.

I agree with this but if Amare happens to go down grabbing his knee or holding his back, Chandler could average as much as 15 or 16 in my opinion.

metrocard

Legend
I agree with this but if Amare happens to go down grabbing his knee or holding his back, Chandler could average as much as 15 or 16 in my opinion.

With Kidd handling the PG, he knows Tyson and will probably feel more comfortable passing it to Tyson over other guys on this team, 15 ppg is very possible, and that'll make Chandler the starting C in the East, yes even over Bynum.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
Lakers center Dwight Howard mistakenly believes the Knicks' Tyson Chandler robbed him

dwight_howard_is_feeling_unloved.jpg

There seems to be a perception that Knicks center Tyson Chandler stumbled into winning the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year award last season -- the first time in three years it went to a player not named Dwight Howard.
The reasoning is simple and it's completely flawed: Howard had better individual statistics than Chandler.
In his final season with the Orlando Magic, Howard had more rebounds (14.5 per game to 9.9) and blocks (2.15 to 1.44) in an injury shortened 2011-2012 campaign, and on Monday he told reporters that he deserved the award.
"I thought I should have won it last year, to be honest with you," Howard said after the Los Angeles Lakers' practice on Monday, as quoted by Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com. "I was a little bit upset about that."
Howard believes his wavering trade demands and alleged involvement in coach Stan Van Gundy's dismissal ultimately played a factor.
"I felt like I did my job to win it," he continued. "I also feel like I didn't because of the whole situation."
Howard could be right. Voters may have felt Van Gundy was honest when he told the media that his center was trying to get him out of the picture in Orlando and it's not a stretch to think they took it out on Howard, who ultimately finished third behind Chandler and Oklahoma City's Serge Ibaka.
But even if the voters did it for the wrong reasons, they were right to give the award to Chandler, who completely revitalized New York's defense.
New York ranked 21st in defensive efficiency (points allowed per 100 possessions) before Chandler's arrival, but his presence created a domino effect where perimeter defenders were able to take more risks because they knew they had an athletic 7-1 center behind them. The Knicks were fifth in defensive efficiency last season and even ranked first in the NBA in points in the paint allowed one year after finishing 28th in that category.
Meanwhile, Orlando's defense went in the opposite direction. The Magic tied for 13th in defensive efficiency after ranking third in that category in 2010-2011, when they allowed a league-low 32.2 ppg in the paint. That figure ticked up to 34.4 ppg in the paint last season, as did opponents interior field goal percentage (45.8 in '10-'11 up to 47.2 in '11-'12).
Finally -- and this is a personal pet peeve -- is that in crediting Howard for having more rebounds than anyone, we're including offensive rebounds. This isn't of particular importance in this case because Howard led the league in defensive rebounds (10.8 per game), but why do we insist on including offensive rebounds in the DPOY voting? That always struck me as odd.
In the end, Howard might be justified to think that the media circus in Orlando -- as well as his back injury -- cost him the award. But anyone who saw the Knicks transform from one of the league's worst defensive teams into one of its best knows where the credit belongs. Yes, coach Mike Woodson and combo guard Iman Shumpert had a role in that, but their contributions would have never been possible without Chandler.