2012-13 Tyson Chandler Player Performance and News thread

Was it f'd up that Tyson got DPOY and still got snubbed for AD 1st team?

• It was f'd.

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • It was not f'd.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • It was close enough between him and D12. Whatever.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I can smell virgins from great distances.

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

metrocard

Legend
dwight_howard_is_feeling_unloved.jpg

There seems to be a perception that Knicks center Tyson Chandler stumbled into winning the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year award last season -- the first time in three years it went to a player not named Dwight Howard.
The reasoning is simple and it's completely flawed: Howard had better individual statistics than Chandler.
In his final season with the Orlando Magic, Howard had more rebounds (14.5 per game to 9.9) and blocks (2.15 to 1.44) in an injury shortened 2011-2012 campaign, and on Monday he told reporters that he deserved the award.
"I thought I should have won it last year, to be honest with you," Howard said after the Los Angeles Lakers' practice on Monday, as quoted by Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com. "I was a little bit upset about that."
Howard believes his wavering trade demands and alleged involvement in coach Stan Van Gundy's dismissal ultimately played a factor.
"I felt like I did my job to win it," he continued. "I also feel like I didn't because of the whole situation."
Howard could be right. Voters may have felt Van Gundy was honest when he told the media that his center was trying to get him out of the picture in Orlando and it's not a stretch to think they took it out on Howard, who ultimately finished third behind Chandler and Oklahoma City's Serge Ibaka.
But even if the voters did it for the wrong reasons, they were right to give the award to Chandler, who completely revitalized New York's defense.
New York ranked 21st in defensive efficiency (points allowed per 100 possessions) before Chandler's arrival, but his presence created a domino effect where perimeter defenders were able to take more risks because they knew they had an athletic 7-1 center behind them. The Knicks were fifth in defensive efficiency last season and even ranked first in the NBA in points in the paint allowed one year after finishing 28th in that category.
Meanwhile, Orlando's defense went in the opposite direction. The Magic tied for 13th in defensive efficiency after ranking third in that category in 2010-2011, when they allowed a league-low 32.2 ppg in the paint. That figure ticked up to 34.4 ppg in the paint last season, as did opponents interior field goal percentage (45.8 in '10-'11 up to 47.2 in '11-'12).
Finally -- and this is a personal pet peeve -- is that in crediting Howard for having more rebounds than anyone, we're including offensive rebounds. This isn't of particular importance in this case because Howard led the league in defensive rebounds (10.8 per game), but why do we insist on including offensive rebounds in the DPOY voting? That always struck me as odd.
In the end, Howard might be justified to think that the media circus in Orlando -- as well as his back injury -- cost him the award. But anyone who saw the Knicks transform from one of the league's worst defensive teams into one of its best knows where the credit belongs. Yes, coach Mike Woodson and combo guard Iman Shumpert had a role in that, but their contributions would have never been possible without Chandler.

2a98wtd.gif

nyk_nyk

All Star
Chandler is the latest casualty of PRESEASON. WTF is going on???? So long for starting out the gate strong.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Chandler is the latest casualty of PRESEASON. WTF is going on???? So long for starting out the gate strong.

He walked off the court..likely will miss a couple of practices is all. If we had a game tomorrow I'd be scared with a week to go he'll be in there Opening Night.

A strain vs. a serious injury is the equivelant to a QB jamming his finger on his throwing hand vs. breaking the hand all together!

He walked off the court..likely will miss a couple of practices is all. If we had a game tomorrow I'd be scared with a week to go he'll be in there Opening Night.

A strain vs. a serious injury is the equivelant to a QB jamming his finger on his throwing hand vs. breaking the hand all together!
I have high hopes that he will be there on Opening Night also. Let's hope the injury is just a strain like they say.

New New York

Quiet Storm
dwight_howard_is_feeling_unloved.jpg

There seems to be a perception that Knicks center Tyson Chandler stumbled into winning the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year award last season -- the first time in three years it went to a player not named Dwight Howard.
The reasoning is simple and it's completely flawed: Howard had better individual statistics than Chandler.
In his final season with the Orlando Magic, Howard had more rebounds (14.5 per game to 9.9) and blocks (2.15 to 1.44) in an injury shortened 2011-2012 campaign, and on Monday he told reporters that he deserved the award.
"I thought I should have won it last year, to be honest with you," Howard said after the Los Angeles Lakers' practice on Monday, as quoted by Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com. "I was a little bit upset about that."
Howard believes his wavering trade demands and alleged involvement in coach Stan Van Gundy's dismissal ultimately played a factor.
"I felt like I did my job to win it," he continued. "I also feel like I didn't because of the whole situation."
Howard could be right. Voters may have felt Van Gundy was honest when he told the media that his center was trying to get him out of the picture in Orlando and it's not a stretch to think they took it out on Howard, who ultimately finished third behind Chandler and Oklahoma City's Serge Ibaka.
But even if the voters did it for the wrong reasons, they were right to give the award to Chandler, who completely revitalized New York's defense.
New York ranked 21st in defensive efficiency (points allowed per 100 possessions) before Chandler's arrival, but his presence created a domino effect where perimeter defenders were able to take more risks because they knew they had an athletic 7-1 center behind them. The Knicks were fifth in defensive efficiency last season and even ranked first in the NBA in points in the paint allowed one year after finishing 28th in that category.
Meanwhile, Orlando's defense went in the opposite direction. The Magic tied for 13th in defensive efficiency after ranking third in that category in 2010-2011, when they allowed a league-low 32.2 ppg in the paint. That figure ticked up to 34.4 ppg in the paint last season, as did opponents interior field goal percentage (45.8 in '10-'11 up to 47.2 in '11-'12).
Finally -- and this is a personal pet peeve -- is that in crediting Howard for having more rebounds than anyone, we're including offensive rebounds. This isn't of particular importance in this case because Howard led the league in defensive rebounds (10.8 per game), but why do we insist on including offensive rebounds in the DPOY voting? That always struck me as odd.
In the end, Howard might be justified to think that the media circus in Orlando -- as well as his back injury -- cost him the award. But anyone who saw the Knicks transform from one of the league's worst defensive teams into one of its best knows where the credit belongs. Yes, coach Mike Woodson and combo guard Iman Shumpert had a role in that, but their contributions would have never been possible without Chandler.

Someone tell Dwight to go to the Knicks Magic game footage and watch how Tyson dominated him

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
He's got a bone bruise, the med staff says him playing against BKN pretty much depends on how he's gonna do this upcoming week.

KingCharles34

All Star
Tyson Out? Camby in?

Tyson listed as probably for tomorrow with flu like symptoms

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/27351/chandler-probable-for-sixers-game

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Tyson Chandler missed practice with flu-like symptoms, and the Knicks are listing him as probable for the Sixers game Sunday afternoon.

"We'll see how he feels tomorrow morning when he comes to the gym, if he makes it," coach Mike Woodson said Saturday.

Chandler had flu-like symptoms before the start of the last season's playoff series against the Heat, but he returned in time for Game 1.

Looking ahead to Sunday, Woodson said he'll consider playing Marcus Camby, who he said is "fine," but he's cautious because of the limited contact the backup center has had since returning to the court after a left calf strain.

"We'll see," Woody said. "I just hate to throw guys out that haven't had some contact. Next week, we've got three or four days before we play again, so that will give him an opportunity to get in there and bang around a little bit."

On the opposing side, Philly's centers, Andrew Bynum and Kwame Brown, have been battling injuries. It's likely the Knicks will see another smaller lineup, featuring Jrue Holiday, Jason Richardson, Evan Turner, Lavoy Allen and Thaddeus Young.

While Woodson wouldn't confirm his lineup, expect to see the same Knicks starting five from Friday night: Raymond Felton, Jason Kidd, Ronnie Brewer, Carmelo Anthony and Chandler.

If Chandler can't go, Kurt Thomas could get the nod, but on defense, Anthony would likely guard the mobile, versatile Young, and Thomas would match up with the bigger, stronger Allen.

The Knicks' biggest concern is the ultra long and athletic Young, who gave them problems last year and during the preseason. His motor is non-stop and he can do a little bit of everything all over the court.

"They're long and rangy, they're athletic, they switch things," Woodson said. "Doug (Collins) has taught them great defensive positioning on the floor, and when there's a breakdown they help, and that's what good defensive teams are supposed to do. That's why they're competing at a high level, and we have to have that same thought process when you're talking about defending and rebounding the basketball."

Im not sure how long Bynums out for Philly but they're a tough team without him, their defense is still very good

What the f*ck is wrong with Tysons immune system?

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
We're still good with Camby, but I'd definately like to see them both. Besides, Chandler is on my fantasy team and because my matchup with CA is pretty damn close I freaking need Tyson to get me some points. :D

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Tyson a shooting threat??

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- After his exit meeting with the Knicks last spring, Tyson Chandler said one of his goals for the 2012-13 season was to become more of an offensive threat.

In the offseason, the Knicks arranged for him, as well as Amar'e Stoudemire, to work with Hakeem Olajuwon at the Knicks' practice facility. Chandler already had a developed outside shot, but he hardly used it.

One of those rare moments came on Monday night against the Sixers, when Chandler caught the ball at the top of the key, like he usually does to help set up the offense, but instead of making the next pass, he squared up and shot a 15-foot jumpshot. Swish.

Is that something we can expect to see more of at times? Chandler says yes.

"I've been working on it," he told ESPNNewYork.com after Wednesday's practice. "If my defender's going to lay off, I'm going to start taking that shot. I consistently knock it down in practice. Before, I just wanted to make sure we stayed in our offense and get guys touches, and get guys the ball in the right spot, but if they're going to lay off me like that, I feel like I can knock it down. Then if my guy starts running at me, then we're really in good offense."

MAV-ELOUS MEMORIES: On Friday night, Chandler and Jason Kidd face Dallas, where they won a title in 2011. But for both of them, it won't be emotional for different reasons.

Kidd: "If I was 23, yes, but I'm not 23. To see the guys and see (Mark) Cuban and those guys, it will be good to see, but they're on the other side right now. I might see some of those guys on Thursday for dinner, but come game time, my job is to try and win a ball game."

Chandler: "It's a different team than I played with, especially with Shawn Marion going down and Dirk (Nowitzki) not being there. Those might be the only two guys that were on the floor with me. So it's not the same, but Dallas will always have a special place in my heart because we won a championship together."

BENCH PRESS: The second unit has been pushing the starting five in practice, winning some of the scrimmages. The team needs that to maintain intensity and consistency during games.

"It makes it very competitive," Mike Woodson said. "The second group, some days, they've come in and had their way with the first team, and that's good. I mean, that's healthy for your team in terms of watching two teams go at it, because neither team wants to lose and it gives us an opportunity to work on things that we've put in from a coaching standpoint."

CHEMISTRY IN CHECK: Raymond Felton said that he hasn't been on a team where everyone's clicking on and off the court since his UNC days.

"Just the way we communicate with each other, the way we bond, it's amazing," he said. "Just how everybody gets along, just the chemistry that you can feel, that energy. It's kind of like when I was in college when we won (the national championship) in '05. Just to have that special energy like that again, it kind of gives me a good feeling."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/27894/practice-report-tyson-a-shooting-threat

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I love that Tyson (and Kidd)'s passion for winning has not gone down since winning a championship. Having a top notch defensive center who isn't bad on offense was worth every penny.

Chandler is beginning to bring negative impact when he is on the floor. He has been rebounding at a small forward rate this season. He needs to get his **** together.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Some crazy Tyson Chandler stats to examine over his last six games, he is 32-of-36 from the floor, averaging 15.3 points, and 9.5 rebounds.